7th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time! - Results

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
system11

Post by system11 »

charlie chong wrote:proof pics please. i really don't care what you think of "eurotrash" like me elixir but to say that 90% of the people who voted for ketsui haven't played it properly is just bullshit.
oh yeah i'm so upset i cant get on an internet forum . don't you think i would get the internet at home if i cared that much.it's only £20 a month :lol:
I would have said about 50% haven't played it myself.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

How am I meant to provide pictures of people not playing Ketsui?
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Chi_Ryu

Post by Chi_Ryu »

Elixir wrote:How am I meant to provide pictures of people not playing Ketsui?
Then don't make claims that you can't verify.

There were 36 people that voted for Ketsui. I can immediately name more than 4 that have played it extensively and owned it - and that's just off the top of my head (and personally). Bang goes your "90% haven't played it", huh?

The truth is, we have no idea how many people voted for it and hadn't played it. Then again, we also have no idea how many people voted for Battle Garegga and haven't played it thoroughly either.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i wanted proof pics of elixir's ketsui score not pics of people not playing ketsui.

whatever you think of me i voted before the ketsui hype thread and even said in the kdf thread that i wanted it to gain it's place fairly and squarely because i believe thats what the game deserves .

my conscience is clear
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

The difference is that Battle Garegga was not bandwagoned into first position like Ketsui was to third.

I don't have a picture of my 1cc of Ketsui, but I'm not sure what good that would do. I'm not saying people who haven't 1cc'd the game aren't entitled to have an opinion of it, but most people have only played it at friends/conventions/arcades and haven't actually owned it. The game gets a ridiculous amount of hype from PCB owners and then suddenly when people spoon feed how great it is to everyone here, it's on the Top 25. I'm sorry, but that's crap.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

ketsui was 4th btw
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Elixir wrote:The game gets a ridiculous amount of hype from PCB owners and then suddenly when people spoon feed how great it is to everyone here, it's on the Top 25. I'm sorry, but that's crap.
Actually I believe that there's some truth in that statement. :idea:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Grinning Cat

Post by Grinning Cat »

Not that I in any way feel I have to justify myself (especially to Elixir) - but I think I can safely say I've played Ketsui extensively. I've owned it 3 times now (the first of those times was well before the hype or forum interest, because I only paid £200 for it). And while I'm still not by any means brilliant at it (I can't clear it, yet), that hasn't stopped me pouring hours and hours into trying ;)

I do, however, find it irritating when there seems to be such a stigma attached to liking either rare of expensive games :? It was the same when I used to be heavily into MD stuff...I genuinely preferred playing Gleylancer to the Thunder Force series - but I remember having many an argument with people who were claiming I only liked Gleylancer because it was rare :roll: Sure, because it's clearly on the same level as Divine Sealing (in both quality and rarity)...

And as for the Ketsui 'campaign' (I put campaign in inverteds, because it was about as serious as the average episode of Ren & Stimpy!) I very much doubt it encouraged many people who weren't already planning to vote to do so. Twas just some light-hearted fun.
mortified_penguin

Post by mortified_penguin »

Pfft, who cares about ketsui. I'm more perturbed that Giga Wing made it on the list at all. :?
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

I had another look at the chart... while I believe that Ketsui is one of the most hyped game in the genre since 2004 or so, I still think that it's a game worth belonging to the list of best shmups ever made. I don't care about the placement, I can look at this year's results, forget about the positions, and say yes, those are the 25 big guns, or almost all of them are in that range.

Now, if i would care about the positions, the "cave fanboys have spoken" thing just doesn't make too much sense to me since we have 2 great Raizing games up there....
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

mortified_penguin wrote: I'm more perturbed that Giga Wing made it on the list at all. :?
This means WAR! :evil:

:wink:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
ncp

Post by ncp »

Okay just to recap: A game that you apparently think very highly of got the position it deserved, but you're upset because people who haven't extensively played it voted on it? So you would have rather not seen it on the top 25 at all? That would do "IKD's pride and joy" much more justice?

Clearly what you should do in this situation is get angry over a bunch of guys in tophats with cows in their signatures.

...?

You lost me.

edit: jesus a lot of people posted between the time I opened this reply window and the time I actually wrote it. Guess it's kind of obvious who it's direct at though :lol:
Last edited by ncp on Tue May 26, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

This is good because now we can all call Ketsui overrated.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Danbo Daxter wrote:This is good because now we can all call Ketsui overrated.
Ketsui is pretty awesome, but not THAT awesome.
Top 25 position I can understand though. Just not that high.

I think I must start a GWDF campaign for next year.
For justice! :D
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

Elixir wrote:I don't have a picture of my 1cc of Ketsui, ..
hmm what a surprise :lol:
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

moozooh wrote:Haha, this is actually completely reasonable. This year's top-25 had entry requirement of having played most of the games represented on the previous ones, the next could be having played most of these games well.
Great, I know my list doesn't need to be changed
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Also to anyone complaining about the dominance of Cave games... how many other companies have been consistently making shmups in the last 5 or so years? They wouldn't be able to keep making them if they weren't good, and most of the old console non-manic shmups don't interest me at all.

edit : really I just think 25 games to name is too many - i doubt many people around here have 1cced 25 games so they end up padding it out with whatever games they can think of.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

charlie chong wrote:
You do realize that Ketsui boards don't save scores, right? And that I've sold my board?

Of course you wouldn't, because you don't own the game nor do you know jack shit about shooting games in general.

Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Super Laydock wrote:
Elixir wrote:The game gets a ridiculous amount of hype from PCB owners and then suddenly when people spoon feed how great it is to everyone here, it's on the Top 25. I'm sorry, but that's crap.
Actually I believe that there's some truth in that statement. :idea:
…and I'm the bad guy when I say that :arrow:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Elixir wrote:
charlie chong wrote:
You do realize that Ketsui boards don't save scores, right? And that I've sold my board?

Of course you wouldn't, because you don't own the game nor do you know jack shit about shooting games in general.
actually he does own it :wink:
Chi_Ryu

Post by Chi_Ryu »

Elixir wrote:Of course you wouldn't, because you don't own the game nor do you know jack shit about shooting games in general.
Oops, nice try - better luck next time.

http://www.arcadeotaku.com/forum/viewto ... 59&start=0

"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Grinning Cat

Post by Grinning Cat »

Chi_Ryu wrote:
Elixir wrote:Of course you wouldn't, because you don't own the game nor do you know jack shit about shooting games in general.

Merked! :lol:
Erinu

Post by Erinu »

All this pishposh over more CAVE games being in the top25 this year :D lollin' @ this. Can we get a reality check in here? One would assume that CAVE killed half of the forums families or something...
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Chi_Ryu wrote:

So he wanted to compare scores, that's why he wanted me to post my 1cc. Truth is, I don't remember it, all it did was make me mark it off my 1cc to-do list. It wasn't played for score in the first place. I'm sure having a higher score means his opinion of the game is superior to mine and everyone else's here.

jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

you said he didnt own the game/wasnt experienced at it.....this pick refutes that statement....

it wasnt posted 'for the score'.....
Shumps4Free

Post by Shumps4Free »

So whats the ETA on the entire list? I can't wait to try the bottom 25.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

my opinion is no better than anyones.. it is you who assumes your opinion is instantly superior to anyone else. after all i do know "jack shit" about shooting games .i've only been playing them since centipede on the 2600 so 25 years of playing is obviously not enough to form my own opinions :roll:
thats what i'm getting at.you make blanket assumptions about people with no base in fact. i made a blanket assumption about your ketsui 1cc since you are the only person who knows whether you did it or not. you may actually have 1cc 'd it and i know that but without proof it's just another internet bullshitter spouting off
Last edited by charlie chong on Tue May 26, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chi_Ryu

Post by Chi_Ryu »

Elixir wrote:So he wanted to compare scores
I don't think you can assume that.
msm

Post by msm »

Grinning Cat wrote:Not that I in any way feel I have to justify myself.... - but I think I can safely say I've played Ketsui extensively....And while I'm still not by any means brilliant at it (I can't clear it, yet), that hasn't stopped me pouring hours and hours into trying ;)
i sort of wanted to say something similar to this. it's my first year voting due to the much more leanient criteria, and with or without the KDF i'd still have been voting for ketsui. hopefully more people will see how good it is later in the year with the port :D

overall i think the list is very good but it's a shame dragon blaze and shikigami 2 aren't in there.

i predict more dispair in future years for the people who don't like cave, with them being the only really active developer these days and they have "new" stuff like deathsmiles, dfk and espgaluda2 which will probably feature more prominantly in the future...i might be way off on this but i also think the only way there's going to be a move away from the newer (cave) type games is if the voting eligibility criteria is put back to it's previous state. with higher entry requirements the only people able to vote (i know not everyone sticks to the rules) will be thoes who have been playing shooters for long enough to have fond memories of the older games. i've been playing shooters for about 5 years and still come nowhere near the old voting requirements. having said that i'm not sure shmups are really attracting any new players anyway so :? i'll shut up now :D
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

charlie chong wrote:my opinion is no better than anyones.. it is you who assumes your opinion is instantly superior to anyone else. after all i do know "jack shit" about shooting games .i've only been playing them since centipede on the 2600 so 25 years of playing is obviously not enough to form my own opinions :roll:
thats what i'm getting at.you make blanket assumptions about people with no base in fact. i made a blanket assumption about your ketsui 1cc since you are the only person who knows whether you did it or not. you may actually have 1cc 'd it and i know that but without proof it's just another internet bullshitter spouting off
You were the one who said that I should spend more time playing games and less time posting on the internet. I said I've 1cc'd the game but I didn't vote. You asked for proof, which I don't have, but is irrelevant because being skilled at the game has nothing to do with having an opinion of it. It's like I said, I like the game, but this isn't how you vote for it.

I was the one who said the majority of voters should play the game instead of voting for it. I can't "prove" that the majority of Ketsui voters haven't played the game, but it's the most overhyped game on this forum. It goes right beside Touhou hate and overrating RSG. I mean come on, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how overrated Ketsui is. It lies within the shmups forum etiquette and you all damn well know it does. That aside, it's pretty fucking sad that people had to petition just to get the game where it is now.

Out of all the years since Ketsui's release, it hasn't come into the Top 25 this way. A petition starts to get it up there, and bam, it's now considered one of the top 5 shmups. A PCB. Which most people don't own. Is in the top 5.