7th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time! - Results

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rob

Re: 7th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time! - Results

Post by Rob »

jpj wrote:all the cave ports coming out on x360
Raiden IV overshadowed this stuff a few days back.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I am seriously considering Raiden IV for my top 25. Nothing terribly original about it-- just flawless execution of the Raiden formula.
jpj

Post by jpj »

guwange has always done well, why would you think it would drop off the list?

is raiden 4 better than those cave games you haven't played yet?
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yes.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

jpj wrote:guwange has always done well, why would you think it would drop off the list?
Because I find it rather odd that the amount of people who have voted for it is much larger than the amount of people who have played it seriously. (By seriously, I mean having a decent score or at least reaching the last stage.) It's genuinely surprising that it managed to climb that high, anyway.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Rob

Post by Rob »

It looks cool in MAME when you fire that beast up. That's worth a top 10 at least.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

It's its main selling point, isn't it? :)
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
jpj

Post by jpj »

i don't think that's a good barometer to make your predictions on. ketsui has far more serious players than DOJ, and always has done, but hardly ever got voted for (pre sonic r). i'm sure it would do just as well as it's always done.

deathsmiles is a shoe in. and (in theory) you should have ketsui, futari, and galuda 2 (??) out on console by next year's poll
Rob wrote:Yes.
i guess we'll have to wait and see
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

jpj wrote:i wonder what games are gonna get bumped off this list with all the cave ports coming out on x360
It's pretty simple, they'll bump off the non-Cave games near the bottom. Regardless of these ports, Saturn/DC era games would naturally be declining as a fewer percentage of voters each year have played them. There's absolutely no way Guwange falls off. Increased exposure (due to new fans, who then check out Cave's backcatalogue) is never a bad thing for lists like these, which measure the number of people who like a game and not the average rating people would give it -- this helps Garegga a lot, for example, as well as MAME Cave games vs PCB only.

Speaking of Garegga, it will probably lose its top spot due to backlash plus Yagawa seemingly not making any new Cave games. It got support from people who put down the entire Cave menu, which stretches back to Batsugun on one side and Garegga and Batrider on the other. If Yagawa had never worked at Cave, Garegga would never have placed #1 this year.

moozooh wrote:It's its main selling point, isn't it? :)
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Is there really a better game than battle garegga? maaaaaaaaaybe ibara. Big maybe, though.
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

no way
<BEOWOOF> my lifes like battle garegga every time i kill man life becomes harder and the only solution to making things easier is killing ymself.
<SCRUNBABBY> my lifes like gwangs
<SCRUNBABBY> cause .. theres lots of wangs
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

I gave Garegga max points on my vote, it's way better than Gwangs.

Danbo

Post by Danbo »

I gave it some points but i gave all my points to DOJ and now i dont really like to play that game...

Ketsui will probably take the crown next year because its ketsui and might have recieved a port then, whereas something like Muchi Pork will recieve a port when pigs fly
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

whats the deal on ketsui port anyway? last i heard 5pb got in trouble for 'stealing' ps2 code on doj. muchumuchi pork i cant even stand to wathc videos of so i cant imagine actually trying to play it
<BEOWOOF> my lifes like battle garegga every time i kill man life becomes harder and the only solution to making things easier is killing ymself.
<SCRUNBABBY> my lifes like gwangs
<SCRUNBABBY> cause .. theres lots of wangs
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

they got in big trouble then the guy who worked on the ps2 port took responsibility, saying I Will Fix This. so theres a patch in the works for that (or maybe it's already out?) by him, and i think the ketsui license still lies with 5pb but its open for renegotiation. Basically, ketsui will never come out
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Danbo Daxter wrote:Ketsui will probably take the crown next year because its ketsui and might have recieved a port then, whereas something like Muchi Pork will recieve a port when pigs fly

lol it kept giving me other win quotes

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

What the hell somehow I read through all 17 pages of this

AGAIN

good times
jpj

Post by jpj »

i also recommend this thread for contextual purposes :lol:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25582
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

DDP will be back at #1 next year. There will be an endless cycle of DDP backlash followed by whatever game beats it out backlash the following year. Just wait and see where Garegga falls to. In two years I predict Ketsui to be #1, as the port may be out by then.
“What did I had done!”
chempop

Post by chempop »

When does the voting start?
I think if it is after the Futari port comes out then it'll be in the top 5 easily. I'm hoping Deathsmiles does well, but am expecting a lot of my favorites like Gigawing, MarsMatrix, Batsugun, Gunbird 2, Soukyugurentai, and Rayforce/Layer Section to fall far.
Forum's overrun with Cave followers, hey, I'm even starting to convert :shock: ............ :mrgreen:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Rob

Post by Rob »

Mars Matrix and Batsugun aren't going anywhere.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I just popped in Layer Section on SAT for the first time in ages, it's easily still my favorite game even after all these years. Nothing else compares to how much of an adventure it is. Credit feeding I got to what I think is the very last pattern of the last boss. I'd never seen this far and even after ten years I'm still learning this gem.

Why doesn't this game have a huge following? Is it because it goes for $15? Is it because it doesn't have different weapons or a screen clearing panic button? Maybe because it is a simple game that only an artist would admire.

Can anyone recommend games that feel like this? And no, I don't mean the sequels, I have RayCrisis on PSX and I don't like it very much.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Rob wrote:Mars Matrix and Batsugun aren't going anywhere.
Toa- and Taku-stans

hehe, sonic r
Rob

Post by Rob »

chempop wrote:Why doesn't this game have a huge following? Is it because it goes for $15?
You paid that much? Damn. I just like it for the soundtrack and that one boss where you can shoot its legs to make it a short battle.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Actually I said that is goes for about $15, I paid about $3 in tokyo back in 2001. Regardless of the price the game is better than just about anything else out there.
So what's another game that has the same sort of epic adventure qualities like this one? A game that is far more than the sum of it's parts...
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

First off, it does have a huge following (it's on top25 after all), and if you played for score you probably wouldn't think it was so simple.
chempop wrote:Actually I said that is goes for about $15, I paid about $3 in tokyo back in 2001. Regardless of the price the game is better than just about anything else out there.
So what's another game that has the same sort of epic adventure qualities like this one? A game that is far more than the sum of it's parts...
Haven't you heard? How much you enjoy a game is positively correlated with how much you spent on it. (Double points if you leave it sealed.) I suggest you burn your cd and buy the pcb pronto! :lol:

Answer to your question: Mahou Daisakusen. I have more but you might as well start with that one and see if you agree before wasting your time with any other suggestions.

Rob

Post by Rob »

chempop wrote:So what's another game that has the same sort of epic adventure qualities like this one?
Gradius V, Forgotten Worlds and good side-scrolling shooters in general.