Tumiki Fighters

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
raiden

Tumiki Fighters

Post by raiden »

I know, the game is old, but just recently I noticed the gameplay has been tweaked in the meantime, and in case someone else didn´t notice as well, I wanted to mention the changes and ask whether there might be more.

- the old Tumiki Fighters allowed to attach destroyed enemies as parts to the player ship, enlarging the hitzone in the process. If any enemy part was hit, all parts would be lost. The new version lets you lose only the part which was hit. That changes things quite a bit, because you don´t have to be anxious adding more parts anymore. Also, the game gets easier, as several attached enemy parts can act as a multi-layered shield for your ship.

- holding the 2nd button pressed sucks all enemy parts in until you release the button. This is useful when your ship has so many parts attached they can´t fit between bullets in a pattern anymore. You can suck them in, dodge the pattern, and release them afterwards. While sucked in, enemy parts don´t shoot, give less points and don´t protect your ship, so you have plenty of reason to release them as soon as possible. This allows for more flexible playing styles, you can try to attach only a few parts which stay out all the time, or you can attach several large midbosses which need to be sucked in most of the time but give lots of points when released in the pauses of the action. The ingenious part of this concept is that those pauses actually become meaningful. That has been done by things like charge shots before, but being able to score in those pauses makes them actually enjoyable, the more enjoyable the more you risk (by going the "many parts" route).

Imo, those changes raise the game´s overall quality by a large degree. The original Tumiki Fighters was a game built around a gimmick, but lacking refinement. The new one is something that can be played much more seriously.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

Yep, there's definitely much more potential for interesting strategy with the newer version. On the old forum, I know the hi-score thread was keeping tables for both versions.