under defeat world record

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

lilmanjs wrote:anyways people:
http://underdefeat.sosblog.com/
that's the link to the blog and I will update it as often as I can.
Love the determination. Best of luck James, and keep us updated on your progress.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Haha, that's nice indeed.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

:shock: you havent even beaten the second stage :shock:

stick to wolfenstein chief :!:
henry dark

Post by henry dark »

Elixir wrote:
as usual, wtf are you talking about??
Pretty much exactly what I said, you're going to back out if he puts up. But..
no....all i meant was if he truly does have a godly viperphase 1 score i will apologize for shit talking him about it....i called him a liar after all....if it turns out i am wrong, its only right i apologize
He doesn't. What, you couldn't tell? You seriously can't tell judging by what he's said and what's been presented in this thread? I didn't think you were this dense.
god your an ass elixir :roll:
you're*
Friends in real life?
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I feel like I've walked into the first episode of a sports anime.

Eager youth: "I saw this guy do XXXXX yesterday. I've decided to become a professional at XXXXX"

Rugged veteran: "You fool!" *KAPOW* "XXXXX is not so easy. Blood, sweat and tears, etc!!"

This thread's like that, only a lot bitchier.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

If this is all an elaborate troll, I am going to lauuuuugh.. :P
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

henry dark wrote:Friends in real life?
I wish, man. I wish.
Udderdude wrote:If this is all an elaborate troll, I am going to lauuuuugh.. :P
Judging from what I've seen and my ability to read people thanks to obtaining my internet degree, the OP's for real.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Udderdude wrote:If this is all an elaborate troll, I am going to lauuuuugh.. :P
this is what I was thinking.
louisg

Post by louisg »

In all seriousness, it's cool that people are talking about UD scoring! I may have to pick the game back up and see what I can do in that department. I have a tendency to just play it on harder and harder difficulty levels because I enjoy the survival more, but maybe it's time to start scoring..

Does anyone have any good tips, or it is just a matter of knowing the levels and hitting clusters of enemies with the rockets?
Humans, think about what you have done
henry dark

Post by henry dark »

I wanted to get this game at the weekend, but the only copies I could find were the limited edition ones that were going for 12,000 yen... and there were tons of them (one place had 4 stacked on top of each other)

I couldn't find the regular version anywhere, and that includes auction sites too.

Seems weird that there are loads of the 'limited' edition but none of the regular to be found. Its annoying cos I really want to play this, but dont want to spend a Radiant Silvergun type amount on it.
kengou

Post by kengou »

henry dark wrote:I wanted to get this game at the weekend, but the only copies I could find were the limited edition ones that were going for 12,000 yen... and there were tons of them (one place had 4 stacked on top of each other)

I couldn't find the regular version anywhere, and that includes auction sites too.

Seems weird that there are loads of the 'limited' edition but none of the regular to be found. Its annoying cos I really want to play this, but dont want to spend a Radiant Silvergun type amount on it.
UD works perfectly with NullDC, if that's a route you'd like to take.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

if you are gonna emulate an image of the game why not burn it and play it on an actual dreamcast :roll:
henry dark

Post by henry dark »

kengou wrote:
henry dark wrote:I wanted to get this game at the weekend, but the only copies I could find were the limited edition ones that were going for 12,000 yen... and there were tons of them (one place had 4 stacked on top of each other)

UD works perfectly with NullDC, if that's a route you'd like to take.
I'm kind of a 'play the actual game on my Dreamcast and put the box on my shelf next to my other shooters' kind of guy, but thanks for the advice anyway :wink:
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

The regular version sold out very quickly but the LE didn't (nobody really wanted the AST CD).
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

jonny5 wrote:if you are gonna emulate an image of the game why not burn it and play it on an actual dreamcast :roll:
Because it's a pain and it already works perfectly in emulation ? Maybe you even get save states on dreamcast emulation?!
henry dark

Post by henry dark »

Kiken wrote:

The regular version sold out very quickly but the LE didn't (nobody really wanted the AST CD).
I just wonder why, in the second hand shops there are loads of the limited edition and none of the regular? Couldn't find any on auction sites or the other usual online places I shop.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

PROMETHEUS wrote:
jonny5 wrote:if you are gonna emulate an image of the game why not burn it and play it on an actual dreamcast :roll:
Because it's a pain and it already works perfectly in emulation ? Maybe you even get save states on dreamcast emulation?!
burning a disc is a pain?

ok :?

and depending on your computer emulation for DC is good...but if you have a slower computer emulating DC is out of the question....2.5ghz and 1 gig ram or more pretty much....anything less and you wont get full speed without out major frame skipping
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

jonny5 wrote:
PROMETHEUS wrote:
burning a disc is a pain?

ok :?

and depending on your computer emulation for DC is good...but if you have a slower computer emulating DC is out of the question....2.5ghz and 1 gig ram or more pretty much....anything less and you wont get full speed without out major frame skipping
on a PIII 800mhz it only takes 20mins to burn a dreamcast game. that's how I did it with my copy of UD. I have an actual copy of the game but I don't want to ruin it.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

don't want to be an asshole here but... cmon! you will NEVER get the WR.
you just barely made it above the last rank in our forums highscore-table.
face it, dude: you are just not good enough.
before you get the WR i can 1cc DOJ ;)
Last edited by Jockel on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Jockel wrote:don't want to be an asshole here but... cmon! you will NEVER get the WR.
you just barely made it above the last rank in our forums highscore-table.
face it, buddy: you SUCK.
I may not be that good right now but pratice works out. if you pratice enough you can do what you set out to do. if only I could take a pic(can't since I don't have access to my dreamcast right now) I've got a higher score than what I posted in the high scores thread.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

well playing shmups is a lot about practice-- but you're just not being realistic.
because ATM you are really BAD. i mean it.
(sorry for saying it so drastic in the other post, didnt mean to offend)
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Jockel wrote:well playing shmups is a lot about practice-- but you're just not being realistic.
because ATM you are really BAD. i mean it.
(sorry for saying it so drastic in the other post, didnt mean to offend)
I figured you weren't trying to make me angry. I know I may not be too good right now but I'm really trying hard to improve.
croikle

Post by croikle »

We do admire your dedication, but a single credit run of the first loop is probably a more realistic, though still challenging, first step. After that you can try to score well, then try the second loop. Once you can 2-ALL the game, people will be much more supportive of your efforts, but right now it seems you're setting your sights far too high. Most likely, the 2-ALL will last you until you're bored with the game, given that only Kiken here has done that, and few players have even entered the second loop.

Good luck.
Last edited by croikle on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

croikle wrote:We do admire your dedication, but a single credit run of the first loop is probably a more realistic, though still challenging, first step. After that you can try to score well, then try the second loop. Once you can 2-ALL the game, people will be much more supportive of your efforts, but right now it seems you're setting your sights far too high.
I guess you could say that but the higher I set my sights for some reason makes me try a ton harder.
DBH87

Post by DBH87 »

You may as well give up. No offence but you wont get the World Record... ever.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Note that you aren't being productive nor solving any problems by discouraging the guy.

If anything, he'll get smarter by trying.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
kengou

Post by kengou »

I don't want to be discouraging because I think it's great that you're so determined, but I also don't think you're being that realistic right now. 1cc both loops before you start talking about world record scores.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

i mean for how long have you been playing?
my very first try on UD scored like 730k. i do think this is a lousy score, i didn't even bother to add it to the high score list.
now you come along, playing with some real dedication and can't even make it to the 3rd level with a score of like 500k.
you're just not made for shmups, i guess.
go find another genre you're better at, or SIMPLY DON'T PLAY SHMUPS FOR SCORE.
seriously, you are getting the laughing stock of this forum.
because you try and try so hard and will never be able to pull of a really good score, let alone the WR.
stop it. honestly. you're just getting laughed at and it will be worse the harder you try (and fail).
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Jockel wrote:i mean for how long have you been playing?
my very first try on UD scored like 730k. i do think this is a lousy score, i didn't even bother to add it to the high score list.
now you come along, playing with some real dedication and can't even make it to the 3rd level with a score of like 500k.
you're just not made for shmups, i guess.
go find another genre you're better at, or SIMPLY DON'T PLAY SHMUPS FOR SCORE.
seriously, you are getting the laughing stock of this forum.
because you try and try so hard and will never be able to pull of a really good score, let alone the WR.
stop it. honestly. you're just getting laughed at and it will be worse the harder you try (and fail).
:shock: yikes...tell us what you really think jockel..... :wink:
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

I'm a little disappointed you didn't update your blog all weekend. You said you were practicing 3 hours a day. :(