Kamui update

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
postman

Kamui update

Post by postman »

Siter Skain has posted an update to the full version of Kamui. Someone translated the text for me, so here's what the update contains:

Patch size is 24mb, suprisingly large for the game itself, and appearantly it's "modernization" patch.
First, it contains OggVorbis BGMs, so say bye-bye to crappy midi.
Also it seems to add high-resolution mode too, but from comment on site it'll be quite a burden to PC... it says 1Ghz+ CPU is recommended.

High res mode sounds cool..

Anyone tried this patch yet, and also do you know if you need the first upgrade installed (1.06) before installing the new one?

Link: http://www.siterskain.com/support/index.htm
Darkcomet72

Re: Kamui update

Post by Darkcomet72 »

postman wrote: First, it contains OggVorbis BGMs, so say bye-bye to crappy midi.
I guess Skyknight was right... we need to stop all this midi hate.

I honestly hope the graphics don't improve. I really love the "grainy" feel that Siter Skain games have, it gives them character.
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I honestly hope the graphics don't improve. I really love the "grainy" feel that Siter Skain games have, it gives them character.
I couldn't agree more. That's why I love Reflex's visuals, the sprites have such a gritty appearance yet so detailed, the game's visuals and gameplay remind me of a mix between Layer Section, GW and a bit of Raizing. Speaking of which, wonder if they'll ever finish Reflex? :? Still haven't tried Kamui. D'oh.
silvery wings

Post by silvery wings »

Darkcomet72 wrote:I guess Skyknight was right... we need to stop all this midi hate.

The bulk of the update is the music oggs, there are no replacement graphics. While my soundcard made the midi sound very nice, the ogg music sounds even better.
I think the "high res" mode has been in since 1.6, which I think you need to install this.
It doesn't change the resolution of the sprites or backgrounds, but enemies that are in the background look sharp, as opposed to running the game in 320x240 mode. It also moves the score and shield/thunder hud a little further away from the playing area.

postman

Post by postman »

Did you need to move or copy any directories when installing the updates? I ran the exe files, and it made folers in a Kamuiupdate folder, and it looks like you need to overwrite the older files in the parent Kamui directory. Not exactly sure how this works though......
silvery wings

Post by silvery wings »

postman wrote:Did you need to move or copy any directories when installing the updates? I ran the exe files, and it made folers in a Kamuiupdate folder, and it looks like you need to overwrite the older files in the parent Kamui directory. Not exactly sure how this works though......
Yep, youve got it. Just overwrite the older files incl. kamui.exe and everything will drop into place. Run setupkamui.exe and check the bottom right checkbox to enable the "high res" mode.

Also I forgot to mention that this update fixed the long pauses (load times?) that I would get right before bosses.
straight

Post by straight »

silvery wings wrote: I think the "high res" mode has been in since 1.6, which I think you need to install this.
I had 1.6 for a while before I realized you can press F1 at any time the game is running to change the resolution and a few other options.
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

is there any where left where you can still buy kamui?

(in english)