The term 'euroshmup'

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
PooshhMao

The term 'euroshmup'

Post by PooshhMao »

Hi,

Longtime shmup player and forum visitor.
I'm European (Belgian if you <I>must</I> know), and I do sort of feel very slightly offended everytime the term 'euroshmup' is coined (probably because it's usually not in a very flattering context)

I'm among the first to admit that they usually lack the insight, polish and sheer brilliance of their Japanese counterparts. But at least Europe is developing shmups - the only American-made shmups I can think of are Raptor and Demonstar (which incidentally are made by the same people)

Okay, so this might not be the most brilliant of topics (I'm bored, okay?), and not to spark a which-nation-is-best argument.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

actually, there are a lotta "doujin" shmups devved in america too... is just that they are not aimed to commercial distribution...

and yes, the term its commonly used in a derogative manner... but we also reckon that there are some good games out there that are "suroshmups" too... like JnG (even tho, i REALLY hate the inertia of the ship til you upgrade the wings...)-

now, truth b told... i preffer the japanese shmups all the way.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Also, euroshmups don't have to be from Europe (see: Soldner X) and not every euro-shmup is euroshmup, so yeah, it's a stupid word but at least everyone knows what it means.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Hmm...I always thought that people used that term, because basically the only other people that make shmups are the Europeans.

Yeah, I know it's in a derogatory manner though.

Well, I don't care about any western shmups at all, European or American, so I never really though about it.

Japanese all the way, when it comes to shmups.

s/m
GrimoreLibrarian

Post by GrimoreLibrarian »

What I'm wondering is what's the difference between Western and eastern shooters?
FIL

Post by FIL »

I think the name "euroshmup" came about because it was mostly European countries with the most active demo scenes in the 90s, hence the largest amount of poorly made shooters. Plus the posterchildren for commercial Euroshmups like Xenon, Project-X etc were developed in Europe.

Its derogatory against those particular kinds of games but its not a racial slur, rather just an unfortunate turn of phrase which seems to have stuck.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I propose the term 'SlidyShieldShmups' .. or maybe 'YourWeaponsDoJackShitShmups' >_>
captpain

Post by captpain »

I say "euroshmups" because I am bigoted against all Europeans and think they should be drowned in a shallow pool of water.

Actually, it's just a basically meaningless term, so who cares? Call them Amerishmups if you want, it's just a name.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

I personally try to use the terms japshmup and WRPG whenever I can.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
kengou

Post by kengou »

GrimoreLibrarian wrote:What I'm wondering is what's the difference between Western and eastern shooters?
Eastern shooters are good.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

The term "euroshmup" as an insult never made much sense to me. Maybe it's because I've never had an issue with shmups like Soldner-X, X-2, Xenon 2: Megablast, and Tyrian 2000... all of which have that euroshmup look and feel.

It's strange that somewhere along the way, the term came to mean "bad" in some universal sense. It's also strange that it's been used here, on a shmup-loving site, a lot in that sense. Now, I know there have been some bad euroshmups made over the years, but there have been good ones too. And while I realize that's a matter of personal taste, when you consider just how many shitty shmups have come from Japan, and how there's no "Japshmup" put down floating around because of it, the whole thing just comes off as silly.

I've personally taken to heart the idea that "euroshmup" means a certain graphical style, the idea of inertia on the ship, and the ship being able to take several hits thanks to a shield or armor that's always there. It has nothing to do with quality, it's simply the traits that are common to style. Whether someone likes that style or not is always open for debate, but I hardly think is worthy of being likened to some kind of all-encompassing put down.
trivial

Post by trivial »

No offence to the Belch, but every time I coin a phrase repeatedly, my mana is further depleted
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Is there ANY japan-made shmups where your ship has inertia? On purpouse? (And the flying parts of Metal Slug does not count).

Emph
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

GrimoreLibrarian wrote:What I'm wondering is what's the difference between Western and eastern shooters?
The amount of brown used.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Get your head out of your ass, you Belgian prick.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Get your head out of your ass, you Belgian prick.
Now that really brings a lot to this debate. :shock:
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
GrimoreLibrarian

Post by GrimoreLibrarian »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:
The amount of brown used.
From the Euroshmups I've seen brown wasn't used all that much. Unless you mean Jshmups use a lot of brown like Ikaruga. But when you take a step back both western and eastern shooters are guilty of this.

Unless you where talking about FPS and 3rd person shooters then I would have to say both western and eastern equally use a crap load of brown. But we are not talking about those kinds of shooters, we are talking about Shmups... on a Shmup forum.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I don't object to "euroshmup" being a derogatory term. This place has always been harsh, full of people who hate christmas and stamp on kittens. There are plenty of euros I love and you could probably tease at least a bit of fun out of any of them - but 99% fall flat when compared to the best from japan and the only ones that do come close are souless copies of either R-Type or Gradius.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

emphatic wrote:Is there ANY japan-made shmups where your ship has inertia? On purpouse? (And the flying parts of Metal Slug does not count).

Emph
All three "Ray" games come to mind (Rayforce, Raystorm, and Raycrisis). It might not be technical inertia, but when you let go of the d-pad, your ship drifts a bit in all three games (more so in the first one).
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

KindGrind wrote:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Get your head out of your ass, you Belgian prick.
Now that really brings a lot to this debate. :shock:
People on this board talk about nothing all day long. Some douche states that he is "offended" because people say that shmups from a certain part of the world suck? You're doing the world a favour by telling people like that to fuck off. :D
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:I don't object to "euroshmup" being a derogatory term. This place has always been harsh, full of people who hate christmas and stamp on kittens. There are plenty of euros I love and you could probably tease at least a bit of fun out of any of them - but 99% fall flat when compared to the best from japan and the only ones that do come close are souless copies of either R-Type or Gradius.
this is totally not true.

katakis is awesome, i also really enjoyed apidya.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

captain ahar wrote:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:I don't object to "euroshmup" being a derogatory term. This place has always been harsh, full of people who hate christmas and stamp on kittens. There are plenty of euros I love and you could probably tease at least a bit of fun out of any of them - but 99% fall flat when compared to the best from japan and the only ones that do come close are souless copies of either R-Type or Gradius.
this is totally not true.

katakis is awesome, i also really enjoyed apidya.
ahar is right - Apidya is hardly a copy, and definitely not soulless. I'm afraid that Sly is correct on the 99% percentage though... But then again it's comparing a lively, established market (Japan) to something that had a wave in the eighties and then moved on (Europe).
X - P - B
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Which games were ruined by inertia? I can only think of Project-X. It was present in Menace and Xenon II but wasn't an issue in either.

What about energy bars?
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

I abstained from posting here, since the whole debate is pointless.

but this is just bs:
All three "Ray" games come to mind (Rayforce, Raystorm, and Raycrisis). It might not be technical inertia, but when you let go of the d-pad, your ship drifts a bit in all three games (more so in the first one).
The "inertia" in these games is PURELY visual your ship has a little animation when it stops moving and the background keeps moving for a short while,BUT it doesn't affect gameplay in any way (since the games do not have bullet wobbling).

A pretty good definition of EUROSHMUP could be: "A shmup made by people who do not know much about the genre and what makes it fun"

It doesn't mean the games are bad, it simply means that they really aren't standard japanese STG style gameplay(which usually means not as fun).
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

nimitz wrote:I abstained from posting here, since the whole debate is pointless.

but this is just bs:
The "inertia" in these games is PURELY visual your ship has a little animation when it stops moving and the background keeps moving for a short while,BUT it doesn't affect gameplay in any way (since the games do not have bullet wobbling).
Really? I just watched my ship drift back to the right after moving left, and it was hit by a bullet that sure looked like it would have otherwise missed me had it not done that. The bullets may not wobble, but your ship certainly seems to. It's like reversed inertia.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but all the little tests I've tried on it sure does make it seem like the bullets stay on their course, but the ship moves back a bit in the opposite direction it had been moving... resulting in it drifting closer to the bullets or lasers than it had been when you stopped.
RackGaki

Post by RackGaki »

Udderdude wrote:I propose the term 'SlidyShieldShmups' .. or maybe 'YourWeaponsDoJackShitShmups'
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:This place has always been harsh, full of people who hate christmas and stamp on kittens.
Threadwinners.

Udderdude is truly on to something...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I was thinking "ShinyGlidyShmups" myself ;)
henry dark

Post by henry dark »

Euroshmups are COLD and UGLY
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Re Ray series: I'm not 100% sure but I've always thought what nimitz says. Reason being, I've played a ton of Rayforce and I don't think I've ever gotten hit even once because of it. I mean, I guess it's possible you'll be confused by it at first when you're new to the game and staring at your ship, but who stares at their ship? ;)
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

captain ahar wrote:katakis is awesome, i also really enjoyed apidya.
But Apidya tried to be 'console like', i.e Japanese.

The Coop is right about the term 'Euroshmup' not being about quality, it's just that no quality Euroshmup have ever been done. And I mean this only half jokingly. I'd like to see a quality shmup that is still an Euroshmup.

I also believe that what nimitz said about European made shmups (A pretty good definition of EUROSHMUP could be: "A shmup made by people who do not know much about the genre and what makes it fun") could be said about most European developed action games.