Yagawa's Laserfight!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Some of the bosses in this are similar to bosses from Recca :D
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

ZeetherKID77 wrote:Some of the bosses in this are similar to bosses from Recca :D
Yes, I've seen the screenshots of the Flamethrower & BIG Laser bosses... perfect copies :D

Ed Oscuro wrote:I have disk drives galore. Maybe I should set up an old PC with Linux and give it a try.
Cool. If you do, i eagerly await your results.
Do you have Xak II by any chance? I'm wondering if copyprot will be an issue and Xak II seems the best candidate for such a test to me ;)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Nope, don't have Xak II. I'm kind of wary trying to dump a real disk first, but I should be able to make a disk in Windows for testing (hopefully I can find the first disk of Mid Garts that I made some time ago).
kozo

Post by kozo »

Did someone bid on it? I didn't, but it has a bid from "cha***", which is most likely Chaos Japan aka SMJ, so I suspect / hope it's someone here. :)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

has it ended?
X - P - B
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

nope, it's got 10 more hours.

I'll just toss in that I can bid on this, too. I don't have an MSX, but I can send to someone who does.

Has anyone PM'd SMJ?
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Whomever on the forum is willing to bid in an effort to share this game, please do so. Yeah, 10 hours left, so someone should toss a bid in unless they've already done so, in which case notification is always welcome. :wink:
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
kozo

Post by kozo »

Yeah, I would bid, but if it's someone from here I don't want to needlessly drive up the price. ;) ;) I can use SMJ too.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I'll put $15 on it. $15 isn't $10, but it's not $20, either. It's also not lots of other things, but it's still $15.
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

So, gang, what's happening with this? Do we need to bid on it? I can bid right now, but I'll have to leave pretty soon for the evening. Shall I enter 1500 yen?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

let's not lose the game due to indecisiveness...? I guess there are already three or four donor who would gladly put five or ten dollars on this.
X - P - B
SamIAm

Post by SamIAm »

all right, I'm delayed and can keep an eye on it. I'll put 1500 on it soon, and bump that up to 2000 before I leave.

EDIT: Well, I bid 1500 and the name changed form cha*** to chaosjapan_tokyo. Assuming that's our boy, sorry I cost you 5 bucks, mate. I'm outta here.
kozo

Post by kozo »

Well, I think someone here won it. :)
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

kozo wrote:Well, I think someone here won it. :)
Whomever they are, they haven't identified themselves. Perhaps opting for the art of surprise? I somewhat doubt it until further notice.

All the same; http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/116860781

It's up again and at a nice price. I suggest whomever bites the line this time around to put in a decent bid, at least 3000yen.
Lurky

Post by Lurky »

Did anyone here get it?
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Lurky wrote:Did anyone here get it?
All signs point to no at this point. I don't see any reason to keeping it secret or surprise meaning chances are good whomever got the first one intends not to share.

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/116860781
So is someone going bid on this one or what? Again, if whomever does, put in a decent bid of 3000yen or so to ensure victory.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Well if someone can point me to some info on ripping the disk (on an XP PC preferably), and show patience (as I still have some more stuff to try and win before I request bulk shipping) then you guys will eventually get some Yagawa MSX lovin'.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: thats great news!

For Icarus,

Assuming you have a 3.5" drive.

you can either use magicISO
or

this little freeware

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dvalot/emtcopy.htm
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

*high five* - let us know your paypal account, you deserve a beer!
X - P - B
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Wonderful! :D

I will transfer 10$ to your paypal account as soon as the auction ends.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Problem. I can't get the disk image to load past the title screen. Keeps resetting itself. :/
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^ Real hardware or emu?
If you're trying on an emulator, which one are you using?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

ZOM wrote:If you're trying on an emulator, which one are you using?
Tried fMSX, BRMSX and blueMSX, as well as fMSX PSP and pspMSX, and all of them do the same thing - reset when selecting Game Start. I'm assuming the disk ripped fine, as I've used both Dsk Manager and EMTCopy to do two separate rips of the disk with no errors.

EDIT: Here's the IMG file for someone to test.
http://www.thestudio-uk.com/namako_ftp/laserf.IMG
I'm at work tonight so I'll let you guys bungle through it.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Icarus wrote: I'm at work tonight so I'll let you guys bungle through it.
OK thanks for the file. I have a bit of free time on my hands so I'll look into it...

EDIT:
The good: IT WORKS! The game needs MSX-DOS to run properly, just put the MSX-DOS ROM in the cartridge slot.

The bad: The game itself. :? I didn't mess around with it long enough but I think I expected too much just because that big fat 'S.Yagawa' on the title screen... :roll:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Well, it is an MSX game, lol.
At least it's ripped, for digital preservation.

Just been giving it a go in RuMSX, which appears to be the fastest emulator to run it, and it's actually not too bad. It is heavily inspired by Gradius, but it adds a bit of manicness to the horizontal formula. There are also multiple weapons on each powerup bar segment that you cycle through by activating them in turn, or by highlighting and selecting the [Change] icon at the end of the bar. It's pretty hardcore, and it gets pretty hairy quite early on.

Not a bad little game, this. If anyone can get it running at an overclocked speed (about 60fps all the way through, as it slows down when you're firing), then please post it here, as I reckon that it's the correct way to play the game - at blazing fast speed.

Shame I can't get it working on the PSP for some portable playing. ;_;
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Icarus wrote:
ZOM wrote:If you're trying on an emulator, which one are you using?
Tried fMSX, BRMSX and blueMSX, as well as fMSX PSP and pspMSX, and all of them do the same thing - reset when selecting Game Start. I'm assuming the disk ripped fine, as I've used both Dsk Manager and EMTCopy to do two separate rips of the disk with no errors.

EDIT: Here's the IMG file for someone to test.
http://www.thestudio-uk.com/namako_ftp/laserf.IMG
I'm at work tonight so I'll let you guys bungle through it.
Thanks very much for sharing this with the community. It will be interesting to hear if others can get this running at a faster speed.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Had another go at it(with Gofer no Yabou soundtrack running in the background^_^) and... I like it for what it is.
Can get pretty "manic" early on & the weapon diversity is pretty good for such an old STG.
Too bad the framerate is horrible. Also lol @ the flame dragons.

Thanks again for sharing, Icarus.
Icarus wrote:At least it's ripped, for digital preservation.
Long live digital preservation! :D
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

No problem. My primary interest was in getting a hold of this and making it available for historical documentation, and also for a bit of fun. And it is pretty nifty once you get into it, and really freaking hard too. I never thought Yagawa was doing stuff this far back, but you learn something new every day.

Still hoping someone finds a way to overclock the emulation to get it running at a constant 60fps, because it's a really good game when its going at full speed. RuMSX is the best emulator tested so far for a good speed.

Quick kusoplay of the first two stages.
http://www.thestudio-uk.com/namako_ftp/ ... r-kuso.avi
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

I'm having the same reset issue with RuMSX. Any advice?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Zebra Airforce wrote:I'm having the same reset issue with RuMSX. Any advice?
1) Load emulator.
2) File/Configuration, then press [Add...].
3) Select {MSX2+} from the drop down, then [OK].
4) In the Layout tab, select Japanese (probably not necessary, but whatever).
5) In the Memory tab, press [Add...], then in the next window, change {free Cartridge-slot} to {MSX-DOS 2.2}, then [OK] and [Apply] everything until you get back to the Configuration select. [OK] the new config. It'll ask you to reset, so go ahead.
6) Press the button marked [A:] in the main window to access the disk loading window. When the tab window pops open, load the Laserfight disk into Disk A, then click the Slot 1 tab, and load MSXDOS22.ROM into the first cartridge slot. [Apply] and [OK], then hard-reset when prompted.
7) The game should load after this. If you want to use a gamepad, select the Emulator/Devices... dropdown.