Shoot 'em ups with analog control

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MathU

Shoot 'em ups with analog control

Post by MathU »

Surely there must be at least one. What is it?

I think there should be more. I don't see why well-executed analog control wouldn't beat the heck out of speed selecting or holding a button for slower motion. Is it because an analog arcade stick would be too expensive for operators to maintain? Perhaps it would just take too much effort for some players to get used to.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
j^aws

Post by j^aws »

Spy Hunter (Arcade, '83) made extensive use...
"All that matters really is taste. He might like the game, he might not." - Anonymous
Davey

Post by Davey »

I thought Soukyugurentai had analog support. I sold my copy years ago, though, so I couldn't say for sure.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

I think that small dodges are harder to do when you have to deal with the sensitivity. As for variable speed, the hold-button slowdown in most Cave games does the job very well, because you always know 100% what speed you´re getting. If find analog control too fuzzy for games that require such a high amount of reliable precision.

I always found it confusing when having to tiptoe in Mario 64 - I never really knew when it would switch to running faster, I didn´t like having to keep the analog stick in a certain position.

To sum it up, I love my digital input for 2D games; I think analog control fits 3D games much better.
Last edited by Frederik on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
j^aws

Post by j^aws »

In the aforementioned Spy Hunter, a steering wheel for movement and a gas pedal for speed worked well, though it's not your typical shoot-em-up!
"All that matters really is taste. He might like the game, he might not." - Anonymous
kengou

Post by kengou »

Gradius V, worked great in that. I could maintain great control even at max speedups.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Doez trackballs, liek Centipedes (in VAG~), count?
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

kengou wrote:Gradius V, worked great in that. I could maintain great control even at max speedups.
way back in the days when i was more of a PC player than a console player, i used to play most of the shmups i could with analog controllers... now, i cant stand them, i feel them uncomfortable, imprecise... only use them on 3D games, but for shmups, digital pad all the way.
kengou

Post by kengou »

Kaspal wrote:
kengou wrote:Gradius V, worked great in that. I could maintain great control even at max speedups.
way back in the days when i was more of a PC player than a console player, i used to play most of the shmups i could with analog controllers... now, i cant stand them, i feel them uncomfortable, imprecise... only use them on 3D games, but for shmups, digital pad all the way.
I'm in total agreement for 99% of shmups out there (and 2D games). GV did have great analog control though.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

There's quite a few similar threads about this.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
phasecactus

Post by phasecactus »

Gradius 4, in both PS2 and PCB format, supports analog joysticks. My issues were three: a) analog sticks are expensive, b) i never found out the pinout, and c) analog sticks stick awfully far down under the control panel, at least the ones I could get hold of for free.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Ghegs wrote:There's quite a few similar threads about this.
Sorry; I tried searching a bit and came up with nothing.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

Omega Five. You can use a dpad for precise movement, but the right analog stick gives you 360 degree aiming for your weapon.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

dmauro wrote:Omega Five. You can use a dpad for precise movement, but the right analog stick gives you 360 degree aiming for your weapon.
i bought that one about 2 months ago (or a lil less), but havent found the time to plaay it the way its meant to be!... what a sad thing, isnt it?.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

kengou wrote:
Kaspal wrote:
I'm in total agreement for 99% of shmups out there (and 2D games). GV did have great analog control though.
GV had great analog support. Geometry Wars (and other western games in the rising "arena shooter" trend) have perfect analog controls as well.
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

tap dodge + analog = dead
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

MR_Soren wrote:tap dodge + analog = dead
Gradius V and Geometry Wars would like a word with you.
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

IIRC Cyvern had analog control... not really sure about this though.

As for home consoles - no thanks :wink:
captpain

Post by captpain »

Zweihander wrote:Geometry Wars/arena shooters
= not the same as 'normal' shmups, this is a non-sequitur
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Zweihander wrote:
Gradius V tells me the digital controls were still better.

Geometry Wars has nothing to say on the subject.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

MR_Soren wrote:
Zweihander wrote:
Gradius V tells me the digital controls were still better.

Geometry Wars has nothing to say on the subject.
Then you obviously never ran through the game at max speed. Corridor-navigating is much less anal with analog sticks. For every other area of the game, it's digital all the way.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Geometry wars (at least Retro Evolved, never played Galaxies) doesn't have full analog control. It has analog direction but fixed speed. Not that it really makes any difference, you never have to move slowly in it.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

worstplayer wrote:Geometry wars (at least Retro Evolved, never played Galaxies) doesn't have full analog control. It has analog direction but fixed speed. Not that it really makes any difference, you never have to move slowly in it.
Which version of Retro Evolved did you play? I played the one on XBLA, it had speed variation correlated to the left analog stick's movement from the center position.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Zweihander wrote:
worstplayer wrote:Geometry wars (at least Retro Evolved, never played Galaxies) doesn't have full analog control. It has analog direction but fixed speed. Not that it really makes any difference, you never have to move slowly in it.
Which version of Retro Evolved did you play? I played the one on XBLA, it had speed variation correlated to the left analog stick's movement from the center position.
After some googling i found it's NOT intentional and it's a bug in Steam version.
( http://www.bizarrecreations.com/forum/v ... a&start=10 )
Damn, i thought i'm getting better at GW and now you tell me it's not meant to be played like that? :D

PS: I still find it bizarre (lol). I can't imagine condition that would cause bug like that. Direction and shooting is analog, so it reads input correctly, are you 100% sure it's any different on Xbox?
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
lgb

Post by lgb »

captpain wrote:= not the same as 'normal' shmups, this is a non-sequitur
"Normal" shmups don't exist.

As I recall, you can use an Xbox 360 pad with most later Kenta Cho games by default (twin stick in Gunroar sounds pretty fun).
Last edited by lgb on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captpain

Post by captpain »

lgb wrote:
captpain wrote:= not the same as 'normal' shmups, this is a non-sequitur
normal shmups don't exist

as i recall, you can use an xbox 360 pad with most later kenta cho games by default (twin stick in gunroar is fun).
what
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

moar normal-mapped shmups pls
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

I've got to say re: GV, I like playing with the dual shock because using analog to aim my option lasers is awesome, but it's still better to play with a joystick because I need the precision movement to navigate some of those tight corridors.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

digital and analog...CONSPIRING together?!
captpain

Post by captpain »

Ed Oscuro wrote:digital and analog...CONSPIRING together?!
I can only imagine the horrors they have planned...