Shoot 'em ups with analog control

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Sinistar has analog control.
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Captain_Flerp

Re: Shoot 'em ups with analog control

Post by Captain_Flerp »

I have been having trouble getting new players to play ExtraGalactica because of its reliance on analog control. I do recommend trying it out. it has global online leaderboards and is as experimental as they come. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1207 ... Galactica/
i spent 3 years making it and i have a very small player base. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHUwIlVwp14
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I'd no clue about analogue controls in Gradiusa V! At least with a stock controller, one can switch between both ways conveniently. It was my way with Onimusha 3 and I've been planning to approach Twisted Metal: Black this way (just with the original DualShock rather than 2 as with the latter I've got consistency issues doing Street Fighter II-style special moves - first PlayStation pad is of much more help there). Great news (to me) about Gradius V.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The problem is that Gradius V is one of those games with analog support that would've played far better with a slow/focus movement button using digital controls. It has two speed ranges with analog stick, your current speedup value and one fixed-rate slow movement speed that stays the same regardless of how many speedup items you have. It's very, very easy to accidentally nudge the stick past the slow threshold and smack into a wall, whereas if you had a button you could hold to control your movement at that speed with digital controls, you could easily make tight tap dodges and have the best of both worlds.

I still prefer Gradius V as a result because I find I can control it better with tap dodges on the d-pad. It's decent with the stick, but would have been better if d-pad/stick players had access to that slow speed by holding a button.
Captain_Flerp wrote:I have been having trouble getting new players to play ExtraGalactica because of its reliance on analog control.
I don't see anything there that would benefit from analog control over digital controls using an arcade stick. It doesn't appear to be a twin stick game with separate aiming and movement controls. What I do see are multiple gigantic bosses that at times move erratically and rapidly across the screen down to the very bottom to directly collide with the player, thus forcing you to rely on the recharging lifebar to soak these kind of hits. There is a blinking warning when a boss comes onscreen, but it doesn't indicate where the enemy is going to pop up, and so is entirely unhelpful.

Bumping this particular 13 year old thread probably won't get your euroshmup the attention you're hoping for.

It's also the first time your account appears to even mention the game. I'd strongly consider making a thread in the Development subforum to hype the game and get feedback from players.