Shmup Accessibility

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Shmup Accessibility

Post by BulletMagnet »

This is a factor of sorts that I often take into account when making a mental judgement about a shmup, and I've wondered if others do the same: aside from the stuff we usually judge games in general (graphics, control, etc.) and shmups specifically (ease of visibility, scoring system, etc.) on, I tend to also try to discern how "accessible" a shmup is, that is, whether it's easy for newer or less skilled (like myself) shmuppers to get into and have fun with, but also provides a good amount of "meat" for more "hardcore" gamers to dig into. Just to give an example, I'll cite how I've come to discern accessibility when comparing Radiant Silvergun to Ikaruga:

BIG FAT GREEK DISCLAIMER: I am NOT trying to start an RSG vs. Iky debate here, nor am I even directly addressing any gameplay elements of either title aside from how "accessible" they are: PLEASE do not interpret this as anything other than personal observation, as it relates to the aforementioned! That said...

While both games are similar in a number of ways, including their emphasis on a "chain" scoring system, ridiculously overbearing backstories and a very high difficulty level, I've come to find Silvergun, despite how much of a challenge it offers to gamers of all skill levels, to be more immediately "accessible" (though not innately "better" or "worse") than Ikaruga in many, but not all, areas. Here are a few reasons I think this way:

1) Options. Even before you get into the gameplay itself, RSG offers more ways to tweak the game to your liking, in either direction: IIRC, it has 5 difficulty levels to choose from, while Ikaruga has 3 (though it is worth noting that Ikaruga's difficulty levels affect mainly [only?] the "suicide bullets" present in the game, while RSG's affect difficulty in a more "traditional" manner). Also, again IIRC, while Ikaruga allows players to have up to 5 lives per credit, RSG allows up to 10. These allow newer players to last a bit longer when they're getting used to the game, and get a bit more practice in without having to start over every few minutes.

2) Scoring System. Both games make use of a "kill 3 enemies of the same color to score more points" chain system, and both offer accessibility advantages in this area: in Ikaruga's case, there are only 2 colors to sort out for chaining purposes, as opposed to RSG's 3, and in addition, the former allows (and encourages) players to alternate in blasting "trios" of enemies to keep the chain going: for instance, you can shoot a trio of white enemies, and then a trio of black enemies immediately following that, and the chain will keep going. In RSG, you are forced to stick with one enemy color throughout the entire stage, which allows players less freedom to work chains out, and also forces them to leave more enemies alive to shoot at them, for the sake of keeping their chain going.

On the other end, though, Silvergun also offers accessibility advantages in its scoring system: first and foremost, while Ikaruga makes chaining almost the only thing players can do to substantially increase their score, RSG offers other options therein, such as weapon bonuses, "secret" chain bonuses, Merry dogs, and boss destruction bonuses, all of which are, at least IMO, a good deal easier to get the hang of than chaining is, though not as lucrative. To be fair, Ikaruga also offers a bonus for killing bosses quickly, but since it only has one boss per stage as opposed to RSG's several per stage, it doesn't close the gap between itself and chaining as effectively as RSG's boss bonuses do.

3) Modes. In Ikaruga, aside from adjusting the difficulty as mentioned earlier, the game doesn't offer you many options to change its inner workings much. RSG, on the other hand, offers Saturn mode, in which you can save your powered-up weapons from game to game, and eventually become well-armed enough to finish the game if you're persistent enough, even if you haven't mastered the game's scoring system yet. RSG also offers an eventually-unlockable "slowdown" mode in which the game plays slower to give players an easier time to practice (I believe that the US release of Ikaruga also included something like this, along with a "replay" mode not available [AFAIK] in RSG, but the original DC release didn't).

4) Misc. As far as loose ends go, I might also mention that on 2P mode, it's much easier to tell the 1P and 2P ships apart in RSG than it is in Ikaruga, though in the latter's defense the game's whole premise makes that rather unavoidable. In addition, RSG's "Hyper Sword" is easier to direct toward a specific target and offers a longer invincibility window than Ikaruga's homing laser does.

On Ikaruga's end, it only forces the player to learn 3 buttons, as opposed to RSG's 7 (yes, technically you can get away with 3 on RSG, but that's arguably even harder to do), and also, while its weaponry isn't as impressive, doesn't give the player any real power-upping (aside from the homing laser) to worry about, so at least the shots you do have stay consistent. Finally, of course, Ikaruga is a good deal shorter than RSG is, making it a less grueling journey for a newer player to fight through.

That's about all I can think of offhand to exemplify what I'm saying...again, I'm not trying to say that either game is superior or inferior, "period," but am only comparing them in terms of how "accessible" they are, and even then only in my personal view. I wouldn't doubt I made an error or two up above, and if I did don't hesitate to point it out (as if any of you would anyway, heh ;))

So what are your thoughts on this whole issue? Is accessibility a good thing since it allows players to get into a game more easily, or a bad thing because it can make the game "too easy?" Is there some sort of "happy medium" that developers should aim for? Or does accessibility even matter to you at all, or do you simply take a game on its own terms without even considering how much "breathing room" it gives you? Or is the value of accessibility determined by the player who uses it? I'm interested to hear what the rest of the community has to say on this...just PLEASE, don't turn this into anything hostile, I'm just looking to see what people say about this, not trying to get everyone to unquestioningly agree one way or the other. That said, let loose, heh.
Rob

Re: Shmup Accessibility

Post by Rob »

What really gets me are games which start out with a bombardment of rules (Chaos Field). I also dislike shooters in which rules, important elements are not readily apparent (arcane rank systems). In Mars Matrix I knew what to do from the beginning. It was all about learning proper technique, not rules. Considering that these are almost all originally arcade games, a person should just be able to walk up to a machine and be able to understand how to play in the first 5 minutes.
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

Honestly i dont know if accessibility makes a shmup any better than one that isn't very accessible to non-shmuppers or "noobs". Personally, i think that ikaruga is painfully hard, and i love every minute of playing it. I totally suck at it, but i have seen videos of what is possible on it, and the amount of depth that is hidden beneath what looks like a simple game is almost frightening. I've never played Radiant Silvergun, but i'm sure i'd love it.

I really don't know which is better as far as accessible games vs. "hardcore" games goes. I love playing ikaruga and dodonpachi, but i also love Gradius V, and on Gradius V all you do is shoot bad guys.

So this post is worthless.
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

I liked the Ketsui approach. Lure the gamer with a false sense of security for the first 2 levels, then ALL HECK BREAKS LOOSE!!! :wink:

However, I don't think that the different options should account for the accessability. The options mostly refer to console games, and most people play defaults anyway. 8) There might be a shmupper on this board that has never played the saturn RSG(arcade only!). I think we should avoid comparing arcade version with their console ports to avoid confusion. :?
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BUHA wrote:Honestly i dont know if accessibility makes a shmup any better than one that isn't very accessible to non-shmuppers or "noobs".
Well, I'm not asking whether or not one is "better" than the other, I just kind of wonder whether anyone else bothers to consider accessibility as a separate "factor" for a shmup, and why or why not.
cdawg4949

Post by cdawg4949 »

I certainly do, as I am not all that good at shmups as of yet, I usually stick to one "deep" shmup... and tinker around with more "accesible" ones when I'm tired of racking my brain.

Right now it's ESP RADE for score
and
Gradius V
R-Type Final
Darius Twin
Gdarius all for completion.

-CODY-
TVG

Post by TVG »

i like shmups that pummel my head to the ground from stage 1, like DDPDOJ, but that's just me.

i also like shmups that are very enjoyable to play without worrying about anything, only slowly picking up scoring elements, and implement them.

DDP games and mars matrix are very good examples of that.

when a shmup is too easy to remain acessible, i know i wont play it much, altough i see nothing wrong with them, but even if im just an average gamer, i like to challenge myself, shmups are a perfect way of doing that.

i dont change the difficulty settings, or very rarely, i feel weird doing it and its always be the case, not just in shmups but other games too.

i replayed MGS1 5 times, not altering the difficulty once, just trying to improve my achievements in normal.

when i change the difficulty setting, and something is too hard, i tend to say to myself "yea thats just impossible, ill give up", on the other hand when i do not, i often think "there MUST be a way".

altough i would change difficulty setting in a game where there's no point in playing on normal, but i still enjoy the game, so to play around more i do that (very rare, as i grow bored of the game usually before that happens)
raiden

Post by raiden »

I certainly do, as I am not all that good at shmups as of yet, I usually stick to one "deep" shmup... and tinker around with more "accesible" ones when I'm tired of racking my brain.
same here. Accessibilty is a two-sided sword, I think. Two classic examples for me would be Dragon Blaze and Guwange. In both, the handling premise is very unconventional for a shmup, as both give you a second character to shoot with and keep track of, yet with completely different handling and abilities. But those same features which make the games hard to get into are also what makes them unique and worth playing.
In general, I agree with the arcade premise that shmups should always be as accessible as possible. If they´re not, they have to be that much better to keep me interested.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

This is a link to my latest journal entry , which is more or less related to the topic in discussion. In case, i'm a "middle player", so in terms of accessibility, i like games that give you the possibility to be learn step-by-step, so to speak. SHAMELESS SPAM PART: in case you even care, i usually write essays on Friday, i have to get back to my usual schedule :?[/url]
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Zhon

Post by Zhon »

Cliche answer here. I like games that are easy to get into at first, but have a lot to explore. Basically I think it consists of allowing the basic concepts to be simple and easy to grasp for the new player, but have more layers on top to discover as a player gets more skilled or familiar.

A lot of arcade shmups have a relatively easy first level so they can get a player to put in their coin, but then can later kill them off to suck in more coins. As for the "walk up to machine and be able to play in 5 minutes" (Rob) - I totally agree.

A few comments - Ikaruga's difficulty affects more than just destruction-bullets, the most significant of which are firing patterns. On harder difficulties they fire different, denser patterns, and fire at a faster rate. And a tiny note on Ika vs RS - in the former chaining only earns extends, while in the latter, it affects weapon power. If you don't chain in RS you'll have very weak weapons, not just fewer lives (but with same capabilities).
Davey

Post by Davey »

Darkcomet72 wrote:I liked the Ketsui approach. Lure the gamer with a false sense of security for the first 2 levels, then ALL HECK BREAKS LOOSE!!! :wink:
The only problem I have with this is that those first two levels will get boring pretty quick. Maybe it doesn't hold so true in modern games, since you still have to try to get the maximum bonuses even in the early levels. Then again, your score in the first levels is usually a drop in the bucket.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Before I knew Ketsui even existed, I was skulking around an arcade I had never been to before, and saw a game (it was in auto-demonstration mode) that I had never seen before, but right away I thought "This looks like it was made by Cave" so I waited for the demo to end, and sure enough, it was.... I slowly read the Japanese title to myself, and sat down for my first try...

BTW this was in Hong Kong, and the freaking thing was set to Hard mode. Ah well, by the end of summer I was decently good at it, able to double play my way to stage 3, single play to stage 4.

Anyway, to stay on topic, the first two stages of Ketsui for me weren't any walk in the park for me :p
I also played Iky before RSG, and I found RSG to be like 15 times more difficult even without worrying about chaining and high scoring..
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm, I have to say I'm rather surprised by the responses here...I was sure that at least one person would say something along the lines of "There's no such thing as accessibility, if you say a game's not accessible enough you must just suck at it, stop making excuses." However, it seems that most who have posted so far place at least a bit of emphasis on how smooth the transition "into" a game is, even if they feel it isn't altogether necessary to enjoy it, a point I'd agree with, at least to some extent. I wonder who else might drop in and what they might say...btw, Rando, I read that journal entry you linked to, and thought it was a good read, maybe I'll search through some of the older stuff you've written, and see if it can inspire another topic (aka if I can steal one of your ideas ;)).
Zhon wrote:And a tiny note on Ika vs RS - in the former chaining only earns extends, while in the latter, it affects weapon power. If you don't chain in RS you'll have very weak weapons, not just fewer lives (but with same capabilities).
Yeah, I did make mention of that someplace in my original post...on the flipside, though, I also mentioned that, unlike Ikaruga, in which chains are about the ONLY thing you can do to substantially increase your score, RSG offers other ways to earn bonuses and such. I wouldn't know around what "percentage" of possible earned points in RSG would come from each source, though...
iatneH wrote:I also played Iky before RSG, and I found RSG to be like 15 times more difficult even without worrying about chaining and high scoring.
I'm sure you're not the only one to think that way (I could probably agree to an extent myself), but "challenge" and "inaccessibility" are 2 different things: a game can be hard as heck and still be accessible.
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

That's a good point. The first time I played chaos field it didn't make any sense at all to me. The first time i played DoDonpachi it made perfect sense (and i got my ass kicked).

Just an example of a game being accessible but still really freaking hard.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I just like shooters where you aren't required to think, just react. I mean that's what originally drew me to them, the simple, fast-paced action. Intricate scoring systems and the like are fine and dandy for evolution and variety sake, but they should never take precedence over the basic survival apsect or hinder the survival aspect. Having to read guides just to understand the game or being forced to use tactics like strategic deaths is just really stupid to me.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Miyamoto once said that shooters had come along way in the difficulty stakes. But it needed to be that way because the veterans of the genre would get bored with simply gliding through the levels.

Since most of the cash deposited into the shmups genre is from veterans, it is the responsibility of the developers to accomadate the extreme difficulty settings.

My belief is that difficulty settings should be 2 or 3 tiered. You should have a "baby" version, which anyone should be able to complete. Then you should have "intermediate" settings and finally the "advanced" settings.

For the home ports of games, this would be better than credits. Which only serve to give an authentic coin op feel.

My point is, every game should be able to be completed.. And I don't mean just in shmups either. Easy levels should either accomadate short cuts, missing levels and such, with advanced having the longer route to take to finish the game. Then once you reach advanced, your score will reflect your extra troubles, or you get a different more meaningful ending.

The END.

Thats how my shmup would be made anyway.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.