results: Top 25 Shmups of All Time (through 2004)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Its not like this top 25 IS fact, its a poll... It shows the top 25 most popular games of the shmups forum members.

Sounds obvious but I just thought some people might need a lil reminder :wink:
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I don't see anything wrong with preferring R-Type I & Delta over II and esp. over Leo and Final.

Or DX over 1, 2, and the Fighters.

It'd be boring if everyone felt the same way. I agree with less than half the games on there yet you don't see me questioning other people's tastes.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

I'm not surprised to see DoDonPachi lead the list once again. It's not my favorite shooter (or even favorite Cave shooter), but I've spent more time with it in the last year and can understand its popularity more than I used to. It's also Cave's most accessible game (in terms of platforms its been released on) and really set a benchmark for future titles, so that probably explains some of it too.

However, I was surprised to see Gradius V take the third slot, despite that it would have some built-in popularity being a fairly new game that made it to North America and Europe. Even years after release, Treasure's other shooters typically land very highly on the charts- it'll be interesting to see if Gradius V does the same.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

It's interesting to see how similar and how different these results are to shmup.com's Hall of Fame.

http://shmup.com/?page=stat

That site just has people vote on each of the games, I think a lot of those results are just fanboys giving the games they love 10s over and over again. It's odd to see how that list is constantly changing. It used to be DoDonPachi and Radiant Silvergun as the undisputed kings of that list. Sometime last year, Rayforce got some amazing momentum and got to number 1. Now, the ThunderForce series controls the top 3.

Considering how subjective that list is, I actually think I prefer the results of the Hall of Fame to our Top 25. It contains a broader range of shmups from different eras, with far more old games on the list than what we're seeing. If only they wouldn't include rail shooters on the list.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

alpha5099 wrote:
What do you mean "not on the list"? It's number 6.
I didn't see it up there before :oops: I'm satisfied.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm not satisfied that a game with a level as awful as Cerberus gets the number 6 spot.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

I played through it last night, along with TF4, and hot damn TF4 is eye candy...but I just hate how in TF4 you have such a wide vertical stretch. It's annoying.

TF3 4 lyfe.
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

I was annoyed by how short, simple, and easy TF3 was. I beat it without any real problems to speak of.

Sure, the vertical range in TF4 is annoying, but it ruins nothing IMO.

And besides, this thread is little more than mass consensus.
So it won't matter if you hate treasure or if I don't Love Irem.
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

MovingTarget wrote:Its not like this top 25 IS fact, its a poll... It shows the top 25 most popular games of the shmups forum members.

Aye, this be true. "Blahblah, whinewhine, why isn't my favourite game up there, that game doesn't deserve to be listed, there isn't enough DC/Saturn/Amiga-shmups in it"

:wink:
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Ghegs wrote:
MovingTarget wrote:Its not like this top 25 IS fact, its a poll... It shows the top 25 most popular games of the shmups forum members.

Aye, this be true. "Blahblah, whinewhine, why isn't my favourite game up there, that game doesn't deserve to be listed, there isn't enough DC/Saturn/Amiga-shmups in it"

I agree also. sure I'm not a fan of some of the games listed, but everyone has a different opinion 8)
shmup-o

Post by shmup-o »

This just goes to show how out of touch I am with the Shmups community. Seems to me that a lot of people are voting popularity over game play.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

nice work on the whole thing Nullstar, you have been very thorough.

Disappointed that Ikaruga is so high - not a good exemplar of the shoot em up genre in terms of gameplay mechanics imho. more like puzzeller than shooter, but i guess we've had this debate plenty so i'll let it lie.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

shmup-o wrote:This just goes to show how out of touch I am with the Shmups community. Seems to me that a lot of people are voting popularity over game play.
I dont really think so myself, just what some people prefer in those particular games.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Ghegs wrote:

Exactly. Guys, this is democracy. No two people, much less the 55 that voted, will ever agree 100% on the same list. Relax...

Besides, isn't it cooler to like a game/record/movie that isn't considered popular with the mainstream? Ya know, that great little gem that only you and a handful of others can appreciate? Mebbe it's just me...
This just goes to show how out of touch I am with the Shmups community. Seems to me that a lot of people are voting popularity over game play.
I don't think that's accurate at all. All the games on the list, honorable mentions included, have really good gameplay, IMO.

EDIT: A prediction for next year: Dragon Blaze will be in the top 25. I know a lot of guys, including myself, got their copy of Psikyo Shooting Collection vol. 3 after the voting was finished. This is a fantastic game and deserves to be up there with Gunbird 2. But hey, who knows.

If Mushihime Sama gets a decent port, I'm guessing that'll be on the list as well.
Last edited by MadSteelDarkness on Mon May 02, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Hey Nullstar, any chances of you showing us the whole list, with the score of all games voted?

I am just curious too see how many points each game got, what position Space Manbow ended up, etc...
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'll hop on the "aww, there aren't enough old games on the list" boat. Yeah, I guess I should have voted. :lol:

One other random comment: out of 55 or so people, that many of them actually have Radiant Silvergun? I didn't think that many people here had it.
shmup-o

Post by shmup-o »

Old school vs new school: only one top 25 game (R-Type) was released on an 8-bit console. Only two were released for 16-bit consoles. (Compare with nine 16-bitters on the 2002 list. Every one of them is still on the Honorable Mention list, however.)
This is what I'm talking about. A drop of 7 16-bit games from the Top 25 and I can't name 7 games that have come out since then that should take these out.
shmup-o

Re: Older console representation

Post by shmup-o »

bloodflowers wrote:I think year on year, the older home computer and console titles are going to vanish from the voting. New people to the genre won't remember them, plain and simple - and will most likely get their older game exposure through MAME.
Exactly.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Consider that maybe 16-bit games aren't good enough to mentioned alongside modern games. Can you really say 16-bit console games are deeper, more challenging, have more finely honed design and more replay value than modern games?
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Yes :D
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.
SPACE HARRIER

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

In the "honorable mention" list I see BLAZING STAR!!
Where the HELL is PULSTAR!! It's much better than blazing star.
There is always the year 2006!!! :wink:

Image = = = = = = =
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nuke wrote:Yes :D
Like what?
raiden

Post by raiden »

SPACE HARRIER wrote:In the "honorable mention" list I see BLAZING STAR!!
Where the HELL is PULSTAR!! It's much better than blazing star.
no, it´s not.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Rob wrote:
Nuke wrote:Yes :D
Like what?
Soldier Blade 8). And that one's technically an 8-bit shmup.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Like Super Aleste, MUSHA, Soldier Blade, Gynoug, Apidya, Space Manbow, Battle Squadron, Gynoug, Gokujyou Parodius, Zanac, Aleste 2, R-Type 3, Axelay, Recca, Thunder Force 3 & 4, Truxton 1 & 2 ...

I think that's enough. Even throw some EIGHT bits games there.

I think the case is that the older games just get less and less exposition over time.

How many people who voted actually played FOR MORE THAN FIVE minutes (That's one reason why emulation sucks) most of the titles I've mentioned above?

Of course, not all of them are top 25 material, but most of them are, and they are all great games (All of them are better than Radiant Silvergun at least, IMO :D)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Soldier Blade, any Compile game, TF3, Gynoug, etc.? Are you kidding me??? I used words like challenging and finely honed. :o

Do you think the developers of Gynoug fretted over how many waves of 5 generic enemies before moving onto the next set of generic waves? Anyone can design levels like those! :P

Compile's games are about as challenging as the average ship select screen in a modern shooter.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

You like Gigawing Generations. Nuff said. :P
Rob

Post by Rob »

Damn right I do! Gameplay is rock solid.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Yup, and I would play Gaiaries, ThunderForce III and IV, MUSHA, Gradius I and II, Darius I and II, Air Buster, Parodius.... etc, etc, over that pile of crap any day. And they were all deeper, more challenging, have more finely honed design and more replay value than GWG. :roll:

Note, I'm being sarcastic. Just because you like the modern stuff more it doesnt mean it's necisarily better.
Aside from Graphics and sound obviusly but that does not matter that much to some of us oldies :wink:
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

This isn't a matter of "fine tuned gameplay" or "challenge". It all boils down to personal tastes. Some of us prefer old games. Rob obviously doesn't. But it has nothing to do with, as you seem to be insistent upon, the "fact" that the games of the 16-bit era were poorly designed. You're just looking for different things from your shmup experience than we are.

Incidentally, challenging: Image Fight and Undead Line come to mind.