STG covers album: Out Now! Direct download!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
kozo

Post by kozo »

kozo wrote:A little different take on a shmup tune...;)

Hector '87

BTW, I'd gladly help with cover design. ;)
Thanks for the FB everybody. ;)

Here's the original for comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zq0pUpXexs

Also, I didn't mention it, but the stuff I've heard from others so far has been great. Really digging joeboto's guitar work in particular! Excellent stuff everyone!
Nate

Post by Nate »

spadgy wrote:
What's a good package to start with on Macs?
Reason! Thank you Propellerheads!

:D
glitch

Post by glitch »

ok, ours is done too!
click this:

Psyvariar-inspired Judgement Silversword cover / arrangement of tunes #6 & 7 (area 21+).
the original tune is 8 bars looped forever, so we added quite a bit of additional material of our own.

if anyone knows the name of the original composer, please let us know so we can add it to the mp3 tag for great justice.

also Kozo that original is way cute, lovely choice. ^_^
we’ll try to post a linky to the original of ours soon too (youtube doesn’t turn up much…).

navel
(glitch & eretsua)
bombs save lives
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

http://www.eretsua.com/music/mp3/navel_ ... shield.mp3

or click on our picture in the post above - which is of course a way fancier button... ;)

anyway, enjoy!

ps. i'll make some recordings off of my wonderswan later today and post them here so you can hear what we did to those little loops from Judgement Silversword.
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
Nate

Post by Nate »

^^very cool stuff from you guys; Navel. This will undoubtedly be a comp for the ages.

Hmm. That "thunder" effect reminds me of that Pulstar tribute I did a few months ago for Team Fremont's shmuppreciation month...has to be a coincidence...:P

It's about damn time!

-Nate
glitch

Post by glitch »

Nate wrote:^^very cool stuff from you guys; Navel. This will undoubtedly be a comp for the ages.

Hmm. That "thunder" effect reminds me of that Pulstar tribute I did a few months ago for Team Fremont's shmuppreciation month...has to be a coincidence...:P
thanks ^_^
haven't heard your Pulstar tribute. linky?
our intro, including thunder, is structured after Misako Sekiguchi's track for the cloudbank stage in Psyvariar medium unit / revision.
thunder and STG tunes just mesh well i guess...
bombs save lives
Nate

Post by Nate »

The link:
http://www.shmupmonth.com/?p=54

It was a contest. I didn't win the drawing. :cry:
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Think this is about as close as I can get it, pretty satisfied with this one.

Mars Matrix stage 1 cover: http://rs34.rapidshare.com/files/139646 ... 17m07s.wav

I like all the covers and remixes so far. The Futari and Hector ones are especially good. Great job all around.
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

hey nate, thanks for the kind words on our work. your pulstar remix is really lovely though i find it a bit short as it leaves me wanting the song to go on. that music box of yours is really pretty, btw.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Just wanted to mention I play cello but I don't think I can really play stuff by ear too well and I don't have a means to record anything :lol: . Yeah.. I'm sooo helpful. Peace.
glitch

Post by glitch »

Nate wrote:The link:
http://www.shmupmonth.com/?p=54
lovely.
i dig how that tune is driving and melancholic at the same time.
we got more style elements in common that just thunder, by the way.
like using a single rapidly repeating note as an almost percussive element.
i dig that.
bombs save lives
Nate

Post by Nate »

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I can't wait to hear the variety in all of the submissions...
Nate

Post by Nate »

Another point: It would be nice to see the comp. offer a trans-generational, somewhat bi-partisan showcase of renditions. So far it's creating powerful waves of regression/nostalgia in my life... 8) i.e. I stopped by Play Again Classic Video Games (local store) and purchased Starship Hector...

*btw

MX7: Did you get the MP3 I send and how is it? PM plz...
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Nate wrote:Another point: It would be nice to see the comp. offer a trans-generational, somewhat bi-partisan showcase of renditions. So far it's creating powerful waves of regression/nostalgia in my life... 8) i.e. I stopped by Play Again Classic Video Games (local store) and purchased Starship Hector...

*btw

Sorry, I got it! Still pretty merry from the Bank Holiday Mondday, but It's sounding good!
Nate

Post by Nate »

MX7:
Nate wrote:
Another point: It would be nice to see the comp. offer a trans-generational, somewhat bi-partisan showcase of renditions. So far it's creating powerful waves of regression/nostalgia in my life... i.e. I stopped by Play Again Classic Video Games (local store) and purchased Starship Hector...

*btw

Sorry, I got it! Still pretty merry from the Bank Holiday Mondday, but It's sounding good!
Cool, yeah it's alpha-like; I'm inclined to add just a squinch more...Look for a new sample soon.
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Think this is about as close as I can get it, pretty satisfied with this one.

Mars Matrix stage 1 cover: http://rs34.rapidshare.com/files/139646 ... 17m07s.wav
cool! like i said earlier it your performance really reminds me of the first wave of black metal... anyway, this new version is quite a bit tighter than the previous so that is great! i like it.
kozo

Post by kozo »

Nate wrote:Another point: It would be nice to see the comp. offer a trans-generational, somewhat bi-partisan showcase of renditions. So far it's creating powerful waves of regression/nostalgia in my life... 8) i.e. I stopped by Play Again Classic Video Games (local store) and purchased Starship Hector...

*btw

Great idea, I'll think of something newer to contribute too. I've got a semi-done Ikaruga remix, but we'll see, I might do something funkier.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

eretsua wrote:cool! like i said earlier it your performance really reminds me of the first wave of black metal... anyway, this new version is quite a bit tighter than the previous so that is great! i like it.
Awesome, thanks. It seems like my guitar playing usually sends people running out of the room. :lol: Maybe I am getting better.

Your collaboration track is very good. The synth string stuff in the background is nice. About halfway through it starts to remind me of Aphex Twin's Ambient Works II. I definitely dig the tempo change towards the end.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

One pipe dream of mine is to do some covers of (and original music based on) X-Multiply, in a dark, minimalist, Metroidian style, with sort of Demilich-inspired, clunky death metal passages. It sounds more artistically cohesive than that in my head, though, hehe. I'll let you know how I get on with it in 2015. :P
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

Bal-Sagoth wrote:One pipe dream of mine is to do some covers of (and original music based on) X-Multiply, in a dark, minimalist, Metroidian style. With sort of Demilich-inspired, clunky death metal bits. It sounds more artistically cohesive than that in my head, hehe. I'll let you know how I get on with it in 2015. :P
metroid, demilich, minimalist rolled into one... where can i place my pre-order!? but remember: use absolutely no effects to make the vocals sound lower or heavier in anyway!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Haha, glad you like the idea, mate! I completely agree, but it'd be mostly instrumental anyway. :D
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

for those who don't know the music of Judgment Silversword: here are the original two tunes (#6 & 7) we based our axion through the mirror shield on.

@ Mosquito Fighter, thanks for your comments. i really should check out aphex twin sometime as i know nothing of his music. :/

@ Bal-Sagoth, speaking of demilich/metroid hybrids, years ago we did a metroid-tribute track. it has lots of weird time signatures and a pretty wicked, dissonant guitar part (which is quite Ebonylake-ish in style)... anyway, i think you may enjoy it. here is a linky in case you're interested...
glitch

Post by glitch »

what's the status on this now?
people working on tracks still?
or is it time to bundle it up and start distributing?
bombs save lives
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Still working on mine. They're almost done.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

glitch wrote:what's the status on this now?
people working on tracks still?
or is it time to bundle it up and start distributing?
Think It'll take a bit more time. What's the ideal length of a compilation album? At the moment I have about about 35 minutes of stuff: fine for your standard album, but a compilation is a different beast altogether. They thrive on having as many different artists as possible. I think 45 minutes would be a satisfying listen.

I'm also waiting on submissions, finalized versions of submissions I have already received, and also seeing if anyone is up for doing a front/back cover. Oh, and a method of distributing this losslessly. So, yeah, it's getting there, and it sounds great, it just needs a little bit more work before it's finished :D
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

another bump for this thread and while we're at it...

are you or someone else going to master this compilation? if not, i can volunteer for it.

about the artwork: do you have a particular style or idea in mind?

about ideal lengths: personally i really like the 40 to 50 minutes range. (for me) it's long enough to feature many different tracks to be worthwhile and doesn't become so overly long that i can't listen to it in a single session.

also, (at least publicly) there haven't been any new people joining in on this project... and it doesn't seem likely many new people will still join. so perhaps waiting for the ideal length (whatever that maybe) we should wait until the already announced tracks are completed and then wrap it up? if it gets popular there can always be a volume 2.
glitch

Post by glitch »

suggesting that for the front cover, we devise a dense bullet pattern consisting of bullet sprites from all featured games, and entitle the compilation "Covered in Bullets '08". yes/no?
bombs save lives
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

glitch wrote:suggesting that for the front cover, we devise a dense bullet pattern consisting of bullet sprites from all featured games, and entitle the compilation "Covered in Bullets '08". yes/no?
IMO something like this would be perfect for shmup remix album. And yeah, Covered In Bullets is great name.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
kozo

Post by kozo »

I have some concepts I'd like to post for everyone to think about too.

Also, I wouldn't mind submitting another song.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

@ eretsua
I would be more than happy for you to do the mastering, if you think you're up to the challenge :D

@ glitch
Sounds like a good idea for a cover to me! I was thinking about seeing if I could get a few submissions for covers, and then the downloader could use whatever cover they wanted as the front one. Autechre/Alexander Ruterford does this loads, and I always thought it was a pretty funky idea. Thematically, I think the front cover should ideally contain aspects from every shootan gaem featured on the compilation, so your wall of bullets idea would be ideal!