STG covers album: Out Now! Direct download!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

I'm thinking about doing the trance remix of Garegga level one like I said, an IDM or breakcore mix of the stage three track from the original Raiden, and a gabber Gradius megamix. Maybe stage two from 19XX or something from Twin Cobra also. Anybody can feel free to do any of those songs too, just letting you know what I'm thinking about doing.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Ozymandiaz1260 wrote:Well, I have a feeling that the vast majority of these songs are going to be electronic, so I'm not sure how different they're going to be. I guess it really doesn't matter that much anyway though...
Well like I said, my Galuda cover will most likely have harpsichord, probably cello, and maybe live vocals? :D
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

Are you talking about a synthesized harpsichord and cello, or the actual instruments? The latter would be awesome :D
lgb

Post by lgb »

Oh my. Get your yourselves some copies of FL Studio. This is going to get out of hand.

Don't use sheet music.
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

LGB wrote:Don't use sheet music.
Why the hell not?
indstr

Post by indstr »

Ozymandiaz1260 wrote:Are you talking about a synthesized harpsichord and cello, or the actual instruments? The latter would be awesome :D
Well I don't have an actual harpsichord, but I have a vsti that was sampled from an actual harpsichord, so it's pretty close :)
lgb

Post by lgb »

Ozymandiaz1260 wrote:
Why the hell not?
Ripped. Can be called "unoriginal". Do it yourself, and you will reap the rewards so much better.
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

LGB wrote:
Ozymandiaz1260 wrote:
Why the hell not?
Ripped. Can be called "unoriginal". Do it yourself, and you will reap the rewards so much better.
How is using the proper notes for a song that you're covering unoriginal?
indstr

Post by indstr »

Ozymandiaz1260 wrote:
LGB wrote:
Ozymandiaz1260 wrote: Why the hell not?
How is using the proper notes for a song that you're covering unoriginal?
Doing a cover is unoriginal in the first place. Using sheet music just makes it more efficient.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

dont worry about duplicates im gonna be chopping and screwing this shit so i can sip the sizuurp :lol: plus i use sampled drum kits with no sequencers so i doubt anyone will be as wonky as me..the layer section layout and most of the the drum programming are done just need to add some analog synth tonight !!
MX7

Post by MX7 »

This is sounding very hopefull! I think the best way to go at this point would be a completely open submissions policy, and I'll just see what we vome up with. I also need to rerecord my Caizing chiptune tracks, the myspace link doesn't give them justice at all :?
indstr

Post by indstr »

So again, do we have any kind of deadline?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

indstr wrote:So again, do we have any kind of deadline?
Nope, not at the moment. With all the different styles of music being proposed, I'm guessing everyone's going to be working on completely different time schedules. Since even the format that this project will take hasn't been finalised yet, I'd say you were safe to take your time :D
indstr

Post by indstr »

Alrighty. I recorded the audio from my galuda session last night so I can listen more and decide which song to do (they're all good!)
lgb

Post by lgb »

indstr wrote:Doing a cover is unoriginal in the first place. Using sheet music just makes it more efficient.
Precisely. I just like doing it myself.

Wait, seeing as FL Studio costs money to use, why don't we use this? It's a fairly easy-to-use music making program called "pxtone", that's pretty much made for 8-bit things. So basically, we NES-atize favorite songs.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Because there are tons more powerful sequencers that are free, for example

http://www.renoise.com/ (what I use).

If you can't stand the nag screen and don't want to pay the 50 euros, try Psycle, Modplug tracker, Milky tracker, etc etc :D
bay

Post by bay »

LGB wrote:
indstr wrote:Doing a cover is unoriginal in the first place. Using sheet music just makes it more efficient.
i still fail to see how using paper isn't doing it yourself. you realize that paper (and music..) existed before computers right?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

LGB wrote:

Wait, seeing as FL Studio costs money to use, why don't we use this? It's a fairly easy-to-use music making program called "pxtone", that's pretty much made for 8-bit things. So basically, we NES-atize favorite songs.
If that's what you want to do then be my guest! If you want something more flexible and authentic, then you should try using Famitracker for your Famicom based chiptune needs.

On the whole, I'd like to see a variety of musical styles being represented, not just chiptune :lol:
lgb

Post by lgb »

bay wrote:i still fail to see how using paper isn't doing it yourself. you realize that paper (and music..) existed before computers right?
It could be considered copying. Copying sounds like plagiarism to some people. That's really it. Technically, computers and paper have always been around... as trees and sand. :lol:
MX7 wrote:If that's what you want to do then be my guest! If you want something more flexible and authentic, then you should try using Famitracker for your Famicom based chiptune needs.
Hey, that's actually cool. I just saw pxtone first, and the GUI's actually cool looking for pxtone.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

MX7 wrote:On the whole, I'd like to see a variety of musical styles being represented, not just chiptune :lol:
I'll try to contibute a hard rocking version of the title track from Battle Squadron then. Our spare time is limited, though, so it might not happen in the end.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

http://rapidshare.com/files/121883249/g ... s.mp3.html
VERY rough preview of Geometry Wars remix. I'm not sure if i'll finish it, there's only so much you can do with one short repeating melody. I think i'll try that Raiden stage 1 instead.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

I'm nowhere near finished with my Garegga track, but I'd like to upload what I have so far so people could give me some input on whether or not I have the right notes. I think I might be a little tone-deaf and sometimes things sound right to me when they're really not, especially when I've been listening to it over and over again. What's a good free site that I could upload to... is rapidshare good? I seem to remember people warning me against using it a long time ago.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Ozymandiaz1260 wrote:I'm nowhere near finished with my Garegga track, but I'd like to upload what I have so far so people could give me some input on whether or not I have the right notes. I think I might be a little tone-deaf and sometimes things sound right to me when they're really not, especially when I've been listening to it over and over again. What's a good free site that I could upload to... is rapidshare good? I seem to remember people warning me against using it a long time ago.
I'll give it a listen. I have the same problem when I've been listening to something too many times, although not with notes, but more with mixing/volume levels

I use googlepages, it gives you an account automatically when you sign up for gmail. 100 megs of webhosting, and you can create up to 4 profiles off one gmail account, so it's actually 400 megs :D Just sign up for gmail, and then go to pages.google.com and login from there.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Ozymandiaz1260 wrote:I'm nowhere near finished with my Garegga track, but I'd like to upload what I have so far so people could give me some input on whether or not I have the right notes. I think I might be a little tone-deaf and sometimes things sound right to me when they're really not, especially when I've been listening to it over and over again. What's a good free site that I could upload to... is rapidshare good? I seem to remember people warning me against using it a long time ago.
Rapidshare has annoying captcha and long times between downloads. But for single files it's OK, upload it there.
Oh, and there's MIDI version of Garegga level 1 music here, you might want to compare your song with that one.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

Alright, I'll try to get what I have so far uploaded after I get off work later today. That midi doesn't really help me anymore than the original song... is there a free program that you know of that I can use to take the midi file apart and look at the note file? I've never really worked with midi files like this so I don't know much about them...
indstr

Post by indstr »

Sometimes I use this program "Able Midi editor" to remove the gap at the beginning before I import the .mid into Renoise, like when doing a cover song. It shows the notes on a piano roll, I don't know if it will help you

http://www.widisoft.com/english/able-midi-editor.html

If not there's probably others that show the notes on a staff
Nate

Post by Nate »

You caught me at a good time. I'll look over my "obscure" shmups lists and thumb one (maybe two) out this next month...

Any specific requests? 8)
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Nate wrote:
Any specific requests? 8)
Anything as long as it sounds new and interesting :)

I've finally got round to re-recording my contributions, which you can find on the Myspace link below (prob best not to click on it if you have photosensitive epilepsy though). Have a download or listen everyone, then scuttle off and get cracking on your own cool shmup covers!
MX7

Post by MX7 »

I'll take the silence in this thread as a sign that everyone is working on a shit hot shmup cover!

Has anyone finished anything yet? All I seem to have is worstplayer's very good Geometry Wars cover. Surely someone else must have completed something?
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

glitch and i haven't even really started on our recca remix yet but her vacation has now also begun so i guess we'll get on it shortly.
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/