STG covers album: Out Now! Direct download!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
The Coop

Re: STG covers album: Let's make a front cover!

Post by The Coop »

http://thecoop.110mb.com/music/The_Coop ... ome_v2.zip

http://thecoop.110mb.com/music/The_Coop ... ech_v3.zip

http://thecoop.110mb.com/music/The_Coop ... ection.zip

Just to be safe, there are all three of mine.

I'm also still good to go for making the back cover once we've got a final track listing and order.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

lets hope this doesn't die
rtw

Post by rtw »

worstplayer wrote:Bump.

Looks like this isn't going anywhere. So everyone, re-upload your tunes if you can (all links except The Coop's are dead), i'm gonna level the volumes, cut out silence and edit id3's so it at least remotely resembles album (no hopes of proper mastering at this point), and upload that thing somewhere.
RTW, is the webspace still available?
Excellent initiative worstplayer!

I have uploaded all the songs I had stored and sent a link to worstplayer.

Hosting is still available, should we change the cover to 2009 or keep the 2008 ?
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

rtw wrote:

Looks like this isn't going anywhere. So everyone, re-upload your tunes if you can (all links except The Coop's are dead), i'm gonna level the volumes, cut out silence and edit id3's so it at least remotely resembles album (no hopes of proper mastering at this point), and upload that thing somewhere.
Excellent initiative worstplayer!

I have uploaded all the songs I had stored and sent a link to worstplayer.

Hosting is still available, should we change the cover to 2009 or keep the 2008 ?
Better go with 2009. It's a simple key press to change it ;)
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

OK, RTW sent me the files. So far, I have following songs:

Nate/VST - Mission (Pulstar Title Theme)
Mosquito Fighter - Stage 1 (Mars Matrix) - got higher quality recording? (it's 16khz)
JoeBoto - Gallantry (Raiden)
JoeBoto - Heart Beat (Batsugun)
JoeBoto - Kiniro No Hoshi Furu (Mushihimesama)
JoeBoto - Daifukkatsu stage 5 (DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu)
The Coop - Heading For Home v2 (Raiden Trad)
The Coop - Descent To The End (Thunderforce 3)
The Coop - Reflection (Thunderforce 3)
The Coop - Bio Tech v3 (Thunderforce 4)
Worstplayer - On Lava Base (Gigawing)
Worstplayer - Geometry Wars (Geometry Wars)
Kozo - 60s meets 80s (Hector 87)
Eretsua - axion through the mirror shield (Judgement Silversword)
Twoast - Pregnantraver (Border Down)
Mode 7 - Pink (Pink Sweets)
Mode 7 - Pork (Muchi Muchi Pork)
Nate/VST - Fullmetal Fighter (MUSHA)
Orcshop - Battle Squadron (Battle Squadron)
Zebra Airforce - Acrmboss Space (Acrobat Mission)
Boomblastandruin - Phantasmagoria of Flower View(Phantasmagoria of Flower View)

If I got any names wrong or you have any more tunes to upload, let me know.
Last edited by worstplayer on Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:43 am, edited 6 times in total.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I think MX7 has some more songs (including mine).

MX7, will you hand the missing songs over to worstplayer or should I re-upload our contribution aomewhere?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Thank you very much, worstplayer. I'm uploading everything at the mo, and I'll send you a sendspace link asap.

Sorry guys it's been so long, I haven't been on the forums so much lately, and my super intense teaching course has kept me out of the fray, but I'm glad something can now be done.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Ok, Sendspace isn't playing nicely today, so I'll have to do it tomorrow, sozzle.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Attn: worstplayer and MX7...

Thanks for "re-kindling" this! Is Exciting!!!!!!

A few things/preferences on whatever listings will happen: I think the Pulstar title theme is formerly called "Mission" - of course you could add "Pulstar Title Theme" or something along those lines to it.
Also, I'd prefer the artist title of "Nate/VST" as far as that all goes...hope I'm not coming off as "pushy" or "pertentious". :P

Also, do you have just that MP3 file of "Mission"? And, are you still waiting for "Fullmetal Fighter"?

If so...I'll surely get back on the horse this weekend (free-time on Saturday) and fix this once and for all!!!

-Nate
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Nate wrote:Attn: worstplayer and MX7...

Thanks for "re-kindling" this! Is Exciting!!!!!!

A few things/preferences on whatever listings will happen: I think the Pulstar title theme is formerly called "Mission" - of course you could add "Pulstar Title Theme" or something along those lines to it.
Also, I'd prefer the artist title of "Nate/VST" as far as that all goes...hope I'm not coming off as "pushy" or "pertentious". :P

Also, do you have just that MP3 file of "Mission"? And, are you still waiting for "Fullmetal Fighter"?

If so...I'll surely get back on the horse this weekend (free-time on Saturday) and fix this once and for all!!!

-Nate
Updated. And yes, I only have a MP3 of Mission. So, if you have a better version, or any other songs, upload them.
Nate

Post by Nate »

worstplayer:
Updated. And yes, I only have a MP3 of Mission. So, if you have a better version, or any other songs, upload them.
Ok, I've got sticky notes all over the place to remind my sorry ass and I should have time to get this done on Saturday. :twisted:
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Tracks from MX7 received, playlist updated. If I still have any info wrong, tell me.
Now I need to normalize, equalize, and re-encode everything.

BTW: Anyone has any idea in what order should those tracks be? Alphabetical? By song name? By game? By author? Fast tunes first? Random? I have no idea.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

worstplayer wrote:Tracks from MX7 received, playlist updated. If I still have any info wrong, tell me.
For our entry, you can delete the "Mix 3" bit, as it's not part of the song name. It was only our working title. The track is named just "Battle Squadron".
worstplayer wrote:BTW: Anyone has any idea in what order should those tracks be? Alphabetical? By song name? By game? By author? Fast tunes first? Random? I have no idea.
I suggest doing what we always used to do to make set lists for live gigs: Use classic Metallica albums as templates. Those have always the two fastest songs as the first and the last track. The first one then is usually followed by another fast one. The slowest one is often the fourth, and from that one it builds up bit by bit until the end. It's a dramaturgy that works pretty well. At least in my experience.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Herr Schatten wrote: I suggest doing what we always used to do to make set lists for live gigs: Use classic Metallica albums as templates. Those have always the two fastest songs as the first and the last track. The first one then is usually followed by another fast one. The slowest one is often the fourth, and from that one it builds up bit by bit until the end. It's a dramaturgy that works pretty well. At least in my experience.
Sounds like a nice template! Though there's a massive mix of styles on this album. But I have heard compilation albums that have an amazing ebb and flow. I think the best thing you can do, worstplayer, is to just consider what track should succeed each track. Contrasts can be nice too; maybe one of the more guitar/metal ones could be followed by a calmer, piano led number?

Oh, and by the way worstplayer, can you change the artist name of the MX7 tracks to Mode 7? I forgot to do it before I sent off the archive :)
rtw

Post by rtw »

Herr Schatten wrote:I suggest doing what we always used to do to make set lists for live gigs: Use classic Metallica albums as templates. Those have always the two fastest songs as the first and the last track. The first one then is usually followed by another fast one. The slowest one is often the fourth, and from that one it builds up bit by bit until the end. It's a dramaturgy that works pretty well. At least in my experience.
Thank you for that little nugget of info, I was not aware of this "feature" :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

worstplayer: I send you a PM a while ago. I need to tweak Fullmetal Fighter a bit and then upload it tomorrow; it will also be a Nate/VST title. Thanks!

-Nate
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Couple more questions. Volume on all tracks is already fixed, now for equalization.

Do you want:
-aggressive EQ, so all songs have same spectrum?
-level only bass and highs, keeping mid-range intact?
-leave everything as it is?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

worstplayer wrote:Do you want:
-aggressive EQ, so all songs have same spectrum?
-level only bass and highs, keeping mid-range intact?
-leave everything as it is?
Whatever makes the most homogeneous sounding album while still retaining the songs' individual characters.
Which of the options would you prefer?
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Herr Schatten wrote: Whatever makes the most homogeneous sounding album while still retaining the songs' individual characters.
Which of the options would you prefer?
Here's a quck comparison: http://www.mediafire.com/?fmw1nzyomlm (1: unequalized, 2: full EQ+compression, 3: selective EQ (of course those aren't final versions)).
As for preference: I don't know, that's why I ask :) If there's enough web space, I can make all 3, and let everyone decide which one they want.
rtw

Post by rtw »

worstplayer wrote:Here's a quck comparison: http://www.mediafire.com/?fmw1nzyomlm (1: unequalized, 2: full EQ+compression, 3: selective EQ (of course those aren't final versions)).
As for preference: I don't know, that's why I ask :) If there's enough web space, I can make all 3, and let everyone decide which one they want.
I am certainly no expert but I feel drawn to the middle one (2: full EQ+compression). And for the sake of webspace it would be good if we decided on ONE version :D
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

rtw wrote:
worstplayer wrote:Here's a quck comparison: http://www.mediafire.com/?fmw1nzyomlm (1: unequalized, 2: full EQ+compression, 3: selective EQ (of course those aren't final versions)).
I am certainly no expert but I feel drawn to the middle one (2: full EQ+compression). And for the sake of webspace it would be good if we decided on ONE version :D
I'm also leaning towards the second option (full EQ+compression). It packs a little more punch than the unequalized version, and the third one (selective EQ) sounds less 'natural' than the other ones.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Herr Schatten wrote:(full EQ+compression)
What does full EQ and compression really mean ? In laymans terms please!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rtw wrote:
I'm guessing "full EQ" means a general setting that sounds good on all tracks, boosting low and high end slightly. Compression is used to level volume differences between tracks, but also raising the overall volume by removing some unwanted "dynamics" such as peaks. If you compare a recording from 30 years ago with a modern production, the old recording will sound much "airier" and the new one will sound very dense, and loud.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

emphatic wrote:
rtw wrote:
I'm guessing "full EQ" means a general setting that sounds good on all tracks, boosting low and high end slightly. Compression is used to level volume differences between tracks, but also raising the overall volume by removing some unwanted "dynamics" such as peaks. If you compare a recording from 30 years ago with a modern production, the old recording will sound much "airier" and the new one will sound very dense, and loud.
That's it, in a nutshell. Generally, EQ means that you apply changes to certain frequency ranges, raising some, while lowering others. Usually, you want to raise the high and low ends, and lower the mid-range. Full EQ, in our case, means that worstplayer applies equalization to the whole frequency range. (He left the mid-range untouched in his example of selective EQ.)

Compression gets rid of all the dynamic peaks, as emph explained. This is what makes the whole thing sound more dense and loud, "punchier" so to speak. Too much compression would make a song lose transparency, though.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Thank you for the explanation guys :D
joeboto

Post by joeboto »

sorry worstplayer, for uploading this one late. been very busy with work.
anyway. this is the last song from me, redone the futari song into full version much like the real one.

http://rapidshare.com/files/314763445/_ ... _____.flac

yeah, the filename is right, i uploaded キンイロの星降るうたかたの夜に.flac and it ended up liek that. :P

*mini-bump*
It is to us a sufficient body in which, fairies and it is packed and can group of play.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

joeboto wrote:sorry worstplayer, for uploading this one late. been very busy with work.
anyway. this is the last song from me, redone the futari song into full version much like the real one.

http://rapidshare.com/files/314763445/_ ... _____.flac

yeah, the filename is right, i uploaded キンイロの星降るうたかたの夜に.flac and it ended up liek that. :P

*mini-bump*
No problem. Do you also have a .flac of "Heartbeat"? The version I have is somewhat clipped.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

...after much fiddling with equalizers and stuff, I switched to different speakers, and realized there's way too much bass and highs. So, here's something to listen to while I completely re-do everything.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxnomjjyomt
Nate

Re: STG covers album: Almost There!

Post by Nate »

Awesome! I'm pumped! Go, worstplayer; GO :!:

This will be the album EVER!!!!!!
Herr Schatten

Re: STG covers album: Almost There!

Post by Herr Schatten »

I gave the whole thing a listen yesterday and I must agree with Nate. It's awesome. There's really a lot of musical talent on this board. I'm also amazed of the variety of styles. Can't wait for the final version.