Some info/help on psx shmups needed

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Last Guardian

Some info/help on psx shmups needed

Post by Last Guardian »

Hi guys, due to a limited budget I can only allow myself one game this month but I stumbled on a site that has quite some desirable shmups in store. Now which of the following should I go for:

Einhander
Parodius DLX pack
Sexy Parodius
DoDonPachi
Sol Divide
Philosoma

all are roughly the same price and for the psx. As I eventually plan to get them all (most of them anyway)maybe it's best to know which is most collectible/hard to find later.

Also they have some shmups of which I don't know whether they are really shmups (translation is rough, some I never even heard of or are listed on the site as shmups) and I would greatly appreciate some feedback on these:

Stahlfeder
Macross: plus
Macross: Super Dimension Fortress
Bokan Desuyo

again all for the Japanese Playstation.

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Airspace under control get back 100 %
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Defenitely Dodonpachi! Especially if the sell it is anywhere near $40 (with a deviation of +$10 also making a great price for it).

The others are much more easy to get I believe.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

For the record, PSX Dodonpachi and Sexy Parodious are usually in the $70-90 range while the rest of the games can be found for under $30 easily.

Anyway, forget Sol Divide and Philosoma. While I haven't played the former pretty much nobody seems to like it, and the latter I just personally don't enjoy. I'd say Sexy Parodius is better than the Parodius Deluxe Pack (PDL got a re-release anyway, easy to find). Einhander is definately not hard to acquire so you'll have no troubles getting it later on. Sexy Paro and Dodonpachi are bit on the rare side nowadays. Out of the games you listed I'd recommend DDP the most.

(And if it's REALLY as cheap as Sol Divide in this store you mentioned, I want the link. Now.)

The Macross games aren't shmups, they're more 3D-action shooters in the same style as Ace Combat. The other two are shmups, but not that good ones I believe.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Ghegs wrote:For the record, PSX Dodonpachi and Sexy Parodious are usually in the $70-90 range while the rest of the games can be found for under $30 easily.
Sexy Parodius also that expensive now? :shock:

Hmm, guess I am lucky to have a genuine sealed copy next to my playing one then. :D (guess I should sell it sometime soon then).
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Super Laydock wrote:
Ghegs wrote:For the record, PSX Dodonpachi and Sexy Parodious are usually in the $70-90 range while the rest of the games can be found for under $30 easily.
Sexy Parodius also that expensive now?
Ah, my memory failed me a bit. I paid $60 for my used copy from Play-Asia. But I guess a new, sealed copy could go for over $70 then.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
FRO

Post by FRO »

Ghegs wrote:Anyway, forget Sol Divide and Philosoma. While I haven't played the former pretty much nobody seems to like it, and the latter I just personally don't enjoy.
I second Sol Divide - it's quite interesting, to say the least, but most of the enemies take WAY too many shots to avoid, and there are even more cheap hits (if that's possible) than most other Psykio games.

However, although Philosoma is not the best PSX shooter out there, it is worth a look. I have a long-box US copy that I picked up complete for $10 and it was well worth it. I got several weeks of on-again, off-again shmupping out of this one and while it hasn't been in my PSX as much as Einhander, Raystorm, or Raiden Project, it's a competent (if a little off-beat) shmup.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Ghegs wrote:
Ah, my memory failed me a bit. I paid $60 for my used copy from Play-Asia.
There prices for used older games are usually bit on the high side I believe.
But looking back at the topic subject I realise I shouldn't have posted here about my Sexy Parodius copies as they are on Saturn. :oops:
It leaves the remark about DDP standing though...

Btw Ghegs, how was the condition of the game you got from P-A and was it with spine card?
They almost never mention whther it's mint or showing signs of use. I have been wanting to buy some used stuff from them but have been put back by lack of any info on the condition and completeness.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Super Laydock wrote: But looking back at the topic subject I realise I shouldn't have posted here about my Sexy Parodius copies as they are on Saturn. :oops:
Oh yeah, the Saturn port is cheaper. The same with Dodonpachi, even now there are several copies of the Saturn one on eBay but not a single PSX one.

The condition was excellent, the disc was totally scratch-free, the manual was just fine and the case didn't have any scratches either. And it had a spinecard, too. Your milage may vary, of course, but I've bought few used games from P-A (Harmful Park, for example) and have never been disappointed.

My videos
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

Thanks for the replies people. Think I'll go for DDP then.

I thought the Macross games would be 3D but what a nice surprise it would have been if they weren't.

Sorry Ghegs, would love to share the link but the last time I did some person on another forum wen't and bought (practically) they're entire collection of affordable Neo Geo games leaving me with empty hands and a bad temper.
They also have Harmfull Park for sale btw but that one goes for 140 euro's which is a bit steep me thinks.

Anybody know anything about Stahlfeder ?
Airspace under control get back 100 %
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Stahlfeder is apparently a just avarage at most.

I haven't played the game myself yet, so I can't second those feelings about it. A small (german) review I found doing a quicksearch can be found here:

http://www.maniac.de/oldhome/reviews/ps ... stahl.html

Btw, the store you're talking about doesn't happen to be a Duthc store no would it? I am in the market for Harmful park (and would pay that much for a sealed copy).
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
BIG

Post by BIG »

Best out of the lot,you say? Well,it all depends on your shmupping preferences,really.

Do you enjoy playing manic shmups? Do you prefer vertical-oriented shmup over horizontal? If so,DDP might be your best bet. However,if horiz are your thing,you might want to give Einhander a try,as it is one of the best horiz shmup ever created on ANY system.

BIG-