Ketsui X and Daioujou Black Label X - Ports for Xbox 360

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jack Burton

Re: Ketsui X and Daioujou Black Label X - Ports for Xbox 360

Post by Jack Burton »

emphatic wrote:Did you "blurry guys" try different overscan percentages? 93% looks sharp for me. Also try 5:4 AR instead of 4:3.
:oops:

Thank you!!!!! Much better now. Not ps2 level, but very nice. 93% looks good. I'm not sure if the aspect ratio change is really helping, but I'm trying 5:4. :mrgreen:

Edit: back to 4:3. Still looks good.
Last edited by Jack Burton on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Cat

Post by Captain Cat »

Cheers for the feedback. Another game for the list.
bcass

Post by bcass »

njiska wrote:
Elixir wrote:It's disappointing that there's no way to completely remove the blurriness
What exactly are you playing on? I just did an hour or two on my tri-res arcade monitor at the native 640x480 and the game looks fantastic. Brighter and incredibly sharp. There''s no muddiness, no blurriness and no eye strain. It's such a visual improvement it's like playing a new game.
Same here. Looks fantastic via RGB scart.
Rupert H wrote:
bcass wrote: There's a new 360 system update out today too. Apparently it lets you install game patches onto the HDD instead of in the temporary cache. Don't know if this is automatic or what, as I couldn't see anything in the system options.
That's interesting. I've read around and I can only see that it adds the "boot from disc" option back in. Where did you hear about storing the patches on the hard drive?
I got the info from the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_system_software

However, since I posted the info earlier, the page has been updated. It now shows the feature as being part of the 1st November 2010 update, whereas earlier it showed it as being part of the 9th January 2011 update.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Chacranajxy wrote:So even after the patch, the game still looks worse than the PS2 version?

To the ebay!

Fuck this game.
It was never going to look as good as the PS2 version simply because the 360 isn't capable of 240p output. You get the 360 version to play Black Label and X-Mode, neither of which are available on the PS2.

Also, I just had the weirdest glitch happen after dying at the stage 1-3 boss, mashing the continue counter down, and entering my initials - after it went back to the title screen, I pressed start, and found that it autoselected 1p game from the menu - I literally could not choose anything else. It didn't auto-select 1p side in the submenu, but every time I tried to back up to the previous menu, it would just select 1p game again (though if I mashed B I could get back to the X-Mode title screen). There was no way to break out of this other than going back to the dashboard.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

njiska wrote:
Elixir wrote:
It's disappointing that there's no way to completely remove the blurriness

What exactly are you playing on? I just did an hour or two on my tri-res arcade monitor at the native 640x480 and the game looks fantastic. Brighter and incredibly sharp. There''s no muddiness, no blurriness and no eye strain. It's such a visual improvement it's like playing a new game.

Same here. Looks fantastic via RGB scart.
Ditto.. looks quite good on my PVM when flipped to low res (480i) via component. Looks as good as Ketsui actually, or very close. But again I'm playing it in 480i, but my PVM takes 240p on up to 1080i and it looked decent in 480p as well.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I think you guys are confusing "looks better" with "has no filter". It still has some kind of filter, even if it looks better. It looks nowhere near as good as Ketsui on Nearest Neighbour with my VGA CRT.

For kicks I'm going to try it with my LCD even though I don't have much hopes, despite the fact that Ketsui with NN on my LCD looks perfectly fine.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

And just to clarify things a bit - the source assets aren't rendered in square pixels, so a resize is necessary to display the game at the correct aspect ratio on consumer displays with 1:1 pixel aspect. I need to test this, but I'm willing to bet either bilinear or bicubic algorithms are being used in the resize, and unlike Ketsui there is no way of changing the resize algorithm used.

What the patch seems to do is eliminate an additional layer of smoothing that was performed on top of the resize (which I reiterate, the resize is a necessity).
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

lol elixir just likes to whine about everything lol

My friend says he's not seeing any blurriness on his screen, and he's finally happy that the patch's arrived so now he can play it more than he did before. :-)
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

ArrogantBastard wrote:lol elixir just likes to whine about everything lol

My friend says he's not seeing any blurriness on his screen, and he's finally happy that the patch's arrived so now he can play it more than he did before. :-)
If "your friend" doesn't see any blurriness, then there's no blurriness, right? Since "your friend" can't tell the difference, the credibility of his opinion is high, right?

Feel free to read StarCreator's post, it sums it up nicely. This port doesn't hold a candle to Ketsui's port, although this was self-explanatory even before the patch.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Jan 19 18:38:03 <StCreator> so if you can really store patches larger than 4mb now
Jan 19 18:38:09 <StCreator> can mihara make a super dojblex patch now
Jan 19 18:40:56 <Udderdude> do you want to kill the man?
Jan 19 18:41:01 <Udderdude> hasn't he suffered enough?!
Jan 19 18:43:45 <Pentarou> Not yet.
Jan 19 18:44:05 <Udderdude> your cruelty knows no bounds, sir
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Elixir wrote:If "your friend" doesn't see any blurriness, then there's no blurriness, right? Since "your friend" can't tell the difference, the credibility of his opinion is high, right?

Feel free to read StarCreator's post, it sums it up nicely. This port doesn't hold a candle to Ketsui's port, although this was self-explanatory even before the patch.
cool story bro
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Loading times are better, but still a little long (and regular). That's not with the disc installed to the HD mind.

I've now got my 360 running through my E2 (yay!) but trying to get the image to fit the screen is a nightmare because of the dumb menu options (why doesn't the screen in the zoom preview not switch to horizontal when you've already made the screen horizontal in the settings damnit... also, why don't the menu's tate also - is there something I'm missing here.)

If someone could drop in a nice concise list of how to get the display to optimum performance in a cab that would be much appreciated.

X-Mode is a guilty pleasure of mine, as I must finish DOJ regularly or I won't be able to die happy. But cavorting with X is truly lots of fun. :)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

You get the best visual results by setting the overscan to 93% (the ratio needed for a horizontal DbD resize, same as Ketsui), then adjusting your monitor to make the image fill the screen. If you're willing to give up the DbD and allow further resizing of the image, you can either use trial and error, or use the Ketsui port which has a proper screen preview.

People have also suggested setting the aspect ratio to 5:4 can improve the quality of the vertical resize (though even further monitor adjustments will be necessary), but I have yet to test this myself.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

skykid: After installing the patch, I used 93% overscan, 5:4 AR and a bright wallpaper to get a visual aid in adjusting the screen to fit just right on my EGRET II. When the wallpaper is no longer visible I went back to the settings and turned it off.

I then went through all of my 360 games and set them to fit the screen. Ketsui oddly doesn't fit in 5:4 when using the 93% overscan, which I thought was weird, but still look great. For DeathSmiles, Futari, DDP-DFK and ESPGALUDA II I used 140% overall zoom then 99% X and 100% Y IIRC. Raiden IV use those huge steps, so it will need some tweaking on the cabinet controls.

Also, great to hear you got it working in the cabinet now! :D And no, the menu doesn't rotate in DOJ-BLEX, sadly.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

It should be noted that the optimal hardware settings for DOJBLEX and Ketsui are NOT the optimal settings for DS/Futari/Galuda2/DFK/Pork/Sweets, because those games use more standard resolutions (and these games are generally happiest at 100% overscan at 640x480). In the end, you'll have to choose which set of games you want to optimize for if you don't want to adjust your monitor every time you switch.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

OT the optimal settings for DS/Futari/Galuda2/DFK/Pork/Sweets, because those games use more standard resolutions (and these games are generally happiest at 100% overscan at 640x480)
agreed on the vertical ones. DS is weird though. Even with the screen output set to 640x480 (VGA) it does need something like a 109% overscan setting to achieve fullscreen. I really don't know what Cave set as 100% on DS.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

emphatic wrote:And no, the menu doesn't rotate in DOJ-BLEX, sadly.
I'm honestly surprised that this wasn't changed. Though that could've made the update exceed 4MB, I guess.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

emphatic wrote:skykid: After installing the patch, I used 93% overscan, 5:4 AR and a bright wallpaper to get a visual aid in adjusting the screen to fit just right on my EGRET II. When the wallpaper is no longer visible I went back to the settings and turned it off.

I then went through all of my 360 games and set them to fit the screen. Ketsui oddly doesn't fit in 5:4 when using the 93% overscan, which I thought was weird, but still look great. For DeathSmiles, Futari, DDP-DFK and ESPGALUDA II I used 140% overall zoom then 99% X and 100% Y IIRC. Raiden IV use those huge steps, so it will need some tweaking on the cabinet controls.

Also, great to hear you got it working in the cabinet now! :D And no, the menu doesn't rotate in DOJ-BLEX, sadly.
Cheers Emph, this thing is like a dream, it's like all my 360 games are brand new again. :D
Thanks for the info there, I'll do a run through of everything I've got and see if I can tease DOJBLEX into shape.

Can I ask which filter you're using on Ketsui for optimum image display?

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skykid wrote:Can I ask which filter you're using on Ketsui for optimum image display?
N. Neighbour is closest to "no filter". But you should try all of them and see if you notice any weird "waves" in game. I know I always got best results with Lancoz, but this time I went with n. neighbour. Was a quick size setup though. Next time I'll play Ketsui I'll have a closer look at the filters.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

emphatic wrote:
Skykid wrote:Can I ask which filter you're using on Ketsui for optimum image display?
N. Neighbour is closest to "no filter". But you should try all of them and see if you notice any weird "waves" in game. I know I always got best results with Lancoz, but this time I went with n. neighbour. Was a quick size setup though. Next time I'll play Ketsui I'll have a closer look at the filters.
I think I'm on Lancoz at the moment, I'll have to test between the two. As there are no zoom or stretch options on the 5pb stuff, do you adjust the remainder of the display with your E2? Sorry for the questions, just wondering.

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I think I'm on Lancoz at the moment
That's the worst, use bilinear or N. neighbor set at 93 percent for best results.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skykid wrote:As there are no zoom or stretch options on the 5pb stuff, do you adjust the remainder of the display with your E2? Sorry for the questions, just wondering.
Yeah, use the monitor controls for fine tuning. Once you get the 5pb ports to fit, you can adjust all the other games with their internal controls and you won't have to touch the monitor controls again unless you put a PCB in the cabinet. 8)
njiska

Post by njiska »

Strider77 wrote:
I think I'm on Lancoz at the moment
That's the worst, use bilinear or N. neighbor set at 93 percent for best results.
Best and worst are subjective. One may easily prefer a different scaler on their display. I think it's better to just state N. Neighbour is the most accurate scale as it's consistent simple expansion.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

emphatic wrote:
Skykid wrote:As there are no zoom or stretch options on the 5pb stuff, do you adjust the remainder of the display with your E2? Sorry for the questions, just wondering.
Yeah, use the monitor controls for fine tuning. Once you get the 5pb ports to fit, you can adjust all the other games with their internal controls and you won't have to touch the monitor controls again unless you put a PCB in the cabinet. 8)
That will probably never happen again. :lol:

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Skykid wrote:That will probably never happen again. :lol:
Time to get another E2 then. :lol:
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

emphatic wrote:
Skykid wrote:That will probably never happen again. :lol:
Time to get another E2 then. :lol:
Ha Ha, was thinking the same thing. Then, dumbly, I was thinking of getting a second cab that can be left permanently Hori for all my other consoles. :roll:

I think I'd do better to just buy a decent CRT, much cheaper alternative.

Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Is there an issue with the online leaderboards with these two games at the moment? When ever I play an Xbox Live game it doesn't show my score at the end and I'm not appearing on the leaderboards. My console is definitely online but I'm getting a message in Japanese telling me something about leaderboards but I've no idea what it is. Any ideas?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Rupert H wrote:Is there an issue with the online leaderboards with these two games at the moment? When ever I play an Xbox Live game it doesn't show my score at the end and I'm not appearing on the leaderboards. My console is definitely online but I'm getting a message in Japanese telling me something about leaderboards but I've no idea what it is. Any ideas?
Are you choosing 1P Game instead of Xbox Live?

Can you take a picture of the leaderboards message? The only one I've seen indicates that they do in fact work.

bcass

Post by bcass »

Rupert H wrote:Is there an issue with the online leaderboards with these two games at the moment? When ever I play an Xbox Live game it doesn't show my score at the end and I'm not appearing on the leaderboards. My console is definitely online but I'm getting a message in Japanese telling me something about leaderboards but I've no idea what it is. Any ideas?
If you're referring to Ketsui, that game only saves the top 999 scores to each modes leaderboard.
xybur

Post by xybur »

Anybody care to share the patch for those who are using a jtag to play import games (i.e. me). I bought the discs in support of cave, but I obviously can't get the patches because I'm not able to connect my system to live.

Getting the patch would require know how on the way title updates work and being able to read the contents of your hard drive so you can pull the patch file off and copy it.

I understand if no one wants to help, but I'll understand either way. Doesn't hurt to ask.