Darius Gaiden PC Troubleshooting

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dragon God

Darius Gaiden PC Troubleshooting

Post by Dragon God »

Hello fellow shmups fans,

before the board crash... I had asked about the compatibility of DG PC on Win XP (Was designed originally for Win 95 and 98 ). I had heard reports online that it has a tendacy to crash after the first level. Lo and behold, I also fall prey to that bug...If anyone has had that problem, how did you remedy it ?

Looking foward to the answers as Stage A was awesome, although the Golden Ogre was way too easy (doesn't stop it from being tremendously cool tho).

I'm getting the following error when it crashes : "Cannot read data file from CD-Rom." It doesn't make sense as the CD drive is functioning properly otherwise.
NoMaD

Post by NoMaD »

It sounds like maybe your Darius Gaiden CD is damaged.

I think the Darius Gaiden PC version was buggy overall as the game crashed even on a Win98 SE system (well, it did on mine) when a zone was selected after beating Golden Ogre.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Somewhat unrelated, but my PC copy of G Darius has a tendancy to crash if I choose certain levels... that coupled with the fact that I've never gotten the soundtrack to play with the game.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Yikes. I think I'm glad I didn't get the PC version of Darius Gaiden. I hate crashes.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Neon

Post by Neon »

if compatibility mode doesn't work, you're probably screwed.

you should have a saturn anyways :wink:
Dragon God

Post by Dragon God »

Ok.... I've found out one way to keep it from crashing...

It wasn't as obvious as I expected, but it worked. You need to do a right click on Darius.exe on the CD-Rom directory, and choose Properties. Then clicking on the Compatibility Tab, you can set it to work as if under Windows 95. I don't know if this will work for everyone(as computers differ quite a bit with diffrent video cards and all); but it worked fine for me.