Whatever happened to the Ketsui Dump?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
emphatic

Re: Whatever happened to the Ketsui Dump?

Post by emphatic »

Ixmucane2 wrote:Three revisions of Ketsui, DOJ, DOJ Black Label and EspGaluda have appeared in MAME 0.140u2 (marked as not working), with roms on the usual sites.
I don't know where these roms come from, but it seems a final answer to the thread title question.
Weird, it's not at all mentioned here: http://mamedev.org/updates/whatsnew_0140u2.txt
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
austere

Post by austere »

Perhaps it was modified?

http://www.mameworld.info/mameinfo/
- New Non-Working games: Barrom Baseball (prototype), Crazy Taxi High Roller (GDX-0002B), Derby Owners Club 2000, DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Dream Crown, EspGaluda, Funny Fruit (Version 1.13), Inu no Osanpo, Ketsui ...
This is the only source I could find corroborating what he said. Furthermore, the "usual places" I know of don't have any of the ROMs mentioned.
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
Evrain

Post by Evrain »

austere wrote:Perhaps it was modified?

http://www.mameworld.info/mameinfo/
- New Non-Working games: Barrom Baseball (prototype), Crazy Taxi High Roller (GDX-0002B), Derby Owners Club 2000, DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Dream Crown, EspGaluda, Funny Fruit (Version 1.13), Inu no Osanpo, Ketsui ...
This is the only source I could find corroborating what he said. Furthermore, the "usual places" I know of don't have any of the ROMs mentioned.
The build indeed contains the games - although the accuracy of just writing "Ketsui" and "Ketsui (older)" is somewhat...err...debatable?

EDIT: oh well, maybe it's a joke then :)
Last edited by Evrain on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austere

Post by austere »

I just downloaded the latest mame source and there's no mention of Ketsui in pgm.c, let alone any other file in the archive.
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

gray117 wrote:But if emulation can be credited with providing at least part of an audience, and even delivering it to a screen, it can not take credit for producing the original source materials.
Then again, neither can many of the current rights holders. While long-established companies like Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, etc. still have a solid claim to most of their classics, others have been bought up by companies that are basically doing nothing more than speculating on their future value, and others are more or less held captive by companies that the original developers left. Other games have secondary licensors of characters/settings/trademarks/etc. that might block a re-release or cause the game to be clumsily edited (the GBA version of Spy Hunter has no music because the publisher couldn't/wouldn't license the Peter Gunn theme, for example).
Evrain wrote:The build indeed contains the games - although the accuracy of just writing "Ketsui" and "Ketsui (older)" is somewhat...err...debatable?
Possibly something to do with this:
pgm.c wrote:/* all revisions of ketsui have roms marked v100, even when the actual game revision is upgraded */
austere wrote:I just downloaded the latest mame source and there's no mention of Ketsui in pgm.c, let alone any other file in the archive.
MAMEDEV only releases full source archives for release versions, not for update versions. If you want 0.140u2, you're supposed to download 0.140 and then apply the u1 and u2 patches.
austere

Post by austere »

I see, my bad, I've been out of the loop for a while so I didn't even look at the version name. I'll patch it later, but you're certain that complete list of games is at least mentioned in the driver now?

EDIT: Nevermind, here it is:

Code: Select all

ROM_START( ket )

ROM_START( espgal )

ROM_START( ddp3 )
LMAO.

EDIT 2: Indeed, the ROMs in the wild are complete except for Espgaluda.
Evrain

Post by Evrain »

austere wrote:I see, my bad, I've been out of the loop for a while so I didn't even look at the version name. I'll patch it later, but you're certain that complete list of games is at least mentioned in the driver now?

EDIT: Nevermind, here it is:

ROM_START( ket )

ROM_START( espgal )

ROM_START( ddp3 )
LMAO.

Not really, they forgot to add the "custom" BIOS files, which really are just portions of the PGM BIOS but since CAVE made the boards that way, the romset has to be that way.
At any rate, playing the games "backwards" feels... different. Anyone up for a scoring run? :D
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Downloaded MAME UI 140.2 and they are definetly there.
cul

Post by cul »

austere wrote:
LMAO.

Does it mean that "someone" can make them working
austere

Post by austere »

but since CAVE made the boards that way, the romset has to be that way.
Like I said, it's complete.
At any rate, playing the games "backwards" feels... different. Anyone up for a scoring run? :D
Just wait until you get to the Ura loop. It'll be backwards and sideways. =P
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Aww man i wish MAMEDEV was not such a damn secret society so we could get some answers
roker

Post by roker »

wow

almost there

it'd be nice if Ketsui somehow got ported

I still have no desire to import such a fail machine (my 3rd Xbox just failed, read again: 3rd Xbox, not the 3rd time. 3 separate xboxes, all bought new have failed on me ... fuck you, microsoft)
"something witty."
by someone witty
Lance Boyle

Post by Lance Boyle »

Everyone needs to go play Ketsui: Backwards Label. Right now. Holy shit.

It's a religious experience.
Evrain

Post by Evrain »

roker wrote:I still have no desire to import such a fail machine (my 3rd Xbox just failed, read again: 3rd Xbox, not the 3rd time. 3 separate xboxes, all bought new have failed on me ... fuck you, microsoft)
And they did nothing about it? What model were they? We have various motherboards running here and, apart from Opuses and Zephyrs, they seem to run just fine.

Anyway, the protection is interesting: the bullet data is not encrypted at all: rather, enemies behave as intended, simply their attack pattern is coordinates-dependant it seems - eg. reach the y = 400 line and start blasting; must have something to do with enemies being spawned in invincible form in an out of boundary area. The protection is all in sprite positioning and movement, but then again that doesn't apply to bosses.
Brb, fried a few brain cells.

@austere: yeah, that's going to be epic in its own way :) Up for a superplay DVD?

PS: look closely after you destroy the Trafalgar, now that's some clever way of doing inverted scrolling, CAVE :)
Last edited by Evrain on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
roker

Post by roker »

Evrain wrote:
roker wrote:I still have no desire to import such a fail machine (my 3rd Xbox just failed, read again: 3rd Xbox, not the 3rd time. 3 separate xboxes, all bought new have failed on me ... fuck you, microsoft)
And they did nothing about it? What model were they?
The first time I had the first version, but I purchased an extended warranty and used store credit to purchase something else.

The second time was the last version of the fat console (bought right around the time of ESPG2's release) to come out and it broke in a week so Amazon overnighted me a new one.

then last week, it did it again to me.

3 red lights

shitty fucking console, nothing will change my mind.

This all while my Dreamcast and slim PS2 keep chugging along.
"something witty."
by someone witty
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Oh I got them running hahaha oh man that backwards scrolling
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Zeron wrote:Oh I got them running hahaha oh man that backwards scrolling
I got them running too and holy crap it is fuckin` hilarious in current state. BACKWARDS SCROLLING FOR AN EPIC win. But hey, it's one of first steps to get the games running. So we gotta appreciate that.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
THE

Post by THE »

Sooo, who puts this into an actually good use and creates sprite/background rips of Espgaluda?

I could stare all day on the awesome art of Espgaluda <3
The future is 2D
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Kaiser wrote:
Zeron wrote:Oh I got them running hahaha oh man that backwards scrolling
I got them running too and holy crap it is fuckin` hilarious in current state. BACKWARDS SCROLLING FOR AN EPIC win. But hey, it's one of first steps to get the games running. So we gotta appreciate that.

The bosses function properly though oh yeah go into the system menu and change the difficulties from easy to Normal enabling auto fire on c does not hurt either.
Evrain

Post by Evrain »

THE wrote:Sooo, who puts this into an actually good use and creates sprite/background rips of Espgaluda?

I could stare all day on the awesome art of Espgaluda <3
The Galuda dump is not complete, and guess what's missing? :D
LaserGun

Post by LaserGun »

DDP:ATA (Aura Them All)
Teufel_in_Blau

Post by Teufel_in_Blau »

New video with gameplay is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzZ2DOWRmkY
GaijinPunch wrote:I don't have 40 minutes to do anything other than fist myself these days.
renardqueenston

Post by renardqueenston »

Teufel_in_Blau wrote:New video with gameplay is on youtube:

i really liked the part where the top of the building(?) started scrolling up the screen in the first stage

EDIT: THE SECOND LEVEL MIDBOSS! WOW! HAHAHAHAHAHA
Observer

Post by Observer »

Ketsui Mame scoreboard. Do it now! :lol:

Anti-gravity Ketsui of the surreal physics and more. Now that's a mod someone should try to make.

But, interesting to see it progressed that far... Still, I would rather see a proper PC port by Cave themselves (via Steam or w/e for the achievements/scoreboards) or a US localisation of the 360 port. Although I would STILL prefer that Cave handles things themselves instead of a third party in the middle.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Lance Boyle wrote:Everyone needs to go play Ketsui: Backwards Label. Right now. Holy shit.

It's a religious experience.
http://rydia.net/udder/!crap/ready.wav D:
captpain

Post by captpain »

Teufel_in_Blau wrote:New video with gameplay is on youtube:

Ketsui IS overrated after all, I guess.
austere

Post by austere »

So, who's going to loop it first? :mrgreen:
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

austere wrote:Image

So, who's going to loop it first? :mrgreen:
lol ... i dont think i can... but its good to at least have this one rolling... lets hope the emulation improves, and we can paly it the way its meant to be... since as of now, only other wa to get it is either the PCB or with a J360...
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
NzzpNzzp

Post by NzzpNzzp »

Ketsui's more of a memoriser than I remembered.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Anyone tried backwards chaining in Dai Ou Jou Black Label its quite amazing.

Also credit to the MAMEDEV guys they deserve it.