Rob's Complete list of SNES shmups.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

OK, as overdrive said, the SNES doesn't have an outstanding library to begin with. But this list is unique to say the least. No offense Rob, but trying to understand some of your tastes is like trying to figure out why Andy Kauffman decided to become a wrestler. I dunno if you have ever played R-TYPE III but if you rank that one a 6-4/10 you are crazy.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

overdrive wrote:Just to sort of give my opinion on the latest part of the argument that BrianC brought up.....(not like it matters or anything, but I'm bored.....)

1. In my opinion, overall, the SNES library of shooters isn't on the same level as the Genesis or TG-16. Of those systems, the SNES had the best games on an aesthetic level (graphics and sound), but the other systems had more games that PLAYED great.
What are you trying to prove? I never said that the SNES shmup library is on the same level as the Genesis or TG-16, but the fact is that it does have more shmups than the Game Gear and even the GB. Overdrive, that's your opinion, but only about 1 or 2 SNES shmups used an extensive amount of mode 7 and there are a decent amount of shmups with actual gameplay in them. Also, if you are trying to imply that I don't play games based on actual gameplay, you are dead wrong. I am dead serious about actually playing the games and judging them farly.

I like Axelay quite a bit and, as I said before, it's not because of the mode 7, so please let it rest about this mode 7 and no gameplay argument.

I agree that all three systems have their fair share of weaker games too.

One advantage the SNES did have over the Genesis was support from Konami. Konami made more shmups for the SNES than the Genesis and these are generally known as some of the best SNES shmups. TG-16 had great Konami support too, giving it an edge over the Genesis when added to the already great lineup. Too bad none of them made it to the US.
Last edited by BrianC on Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:24 am, edited 9 times in total.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

Oh man I forgot about Goemon (Legend of the Mystical Ninja)...that game own3d all...ok I guess SNES wins. :P
overdrive

Post by overdrive »

BrianC wrote:
overdrive wrote:Just to sort of give my opinion on the latest part of the argument that BrianC brought up.....(not like it matters or anything, but I'm bored.....)

1. In my opinion, overall, the SNES library of shooters isn't on the same level as the Genesis or TG-16. Of those systems, the SNES had the best games on an aesthetic level (graphics and sound), but the other systems had more games that PLAYED great.
What are you trying to prove? I never said that the SNES shmup library is on the same level as the Genesis or TG-16, but the fact is that it does have more shmups than the Game Gear and even the GB. Overdrive, that's your opinion, but only about 1 or 2 SNES shmups used an extensive amount of mode 7 and there are a decent amount of shmups with actual gameplay in them. Also, if you are trying to imply that I don't play games based on actual gameplay, you are dead wrong. I am dead serious about actually playing the games and judging them farly.

I like Axelay quite a bit and, as I said before, it's not because of the mode 7, so please let it rest about this mode 7 and no gameplay argument.
I think you may have read too much into what I was saying.... To break it down into points again (even though I apparently didn't do a good job of explaining myself in the last post).

1. I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just giving my personal opinion on the SNES as a shooter machine as compared to other systems of its time. If that opinion is different than yours, that's fine with me. I just mentioned your name because your dissenting opinion kinda livened up this discussion a bit.

2. The SNES was far ahead of the Game Gear and GameBoy, as well as a number of other systems. There were a decent number of shmups on the SNES and many of them were at least decent. In my opinion, the shmup genre is the hardest to get right on a tiny-screen handheld. When I play a shooter, I'm most comfortable with a large screen AND I find myself getting my nose right up to that screen during tense moments. Because of that, I just think that (in general) handhelds are never going to be great shmup-playing machines.

3. The part where I really think you misunderstood me involved me talking about how the SNES shooters tended to be better aesthetically, as I think you thought I meant that was all they did good. I'm going to try to explain myself a bit better, so I'm going to break this one down into a number of points.

a. There's no shame in being the system with the best graphics in your shooters — I wasn't trying to use that as a negative. While graphics aren't the be-all, end-all of the genre, they add a great deal. We're talking about fancy explosions, cool weapon effects and more. If a game has the mechanics down pat, a little (or lot of) eye candy only can enhance that gameplay.

b. While I didn't mention Mode 7, that little effect did create one of the most memorable shmup special effects of all time (once again, in my opinion). The second level of Space Megaforce (Super Aleste) should have been just another mundane shmup level, BUT the Mode 7 scrolling of the space station below created the illusion that you were descending on it while circling downward UNTIL you were right on top of it, destroying every little enemy installation. Mode 7 made that level a breathtaking experience just below that of 19xx's fifth level where you descend through the clouds to just over a train track (or highway, it's been awhile) leading into a city at night. While I'm not the biggest fan of Mode 7 OVERALL, I'd never criticize someone for praising it's usefulness in shooters.

c. When I review games, gameplay is the most important thing for me, as well. All the eye candy in the world don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, or something like that. Different people just have different opinions on what constitutes good gameplay. I don't see many people defending Rob's "9" for Bio Metal, for example.....and I also don't see many people backing him on on a couple of his low ratings for games. While it's not a shooter, I wrote a review for Kirby Super Star today and gave it a "6". If you look on GameFAQs, I'm the only person out of (I think) 34 that rated it under "8". It just goes to show that sometimes, a person's tastes might be a bit controversial when compared to the majority's.

d. As for Axelay, I didn't argue anything about why you liked it. Personally, I've never argued anything about Axelay. I've fiddled with it briefly, but I haven't played it extensively enough to review it or give more than a brief, superficial opinion. I think it looks good, I like the way it recaptures the NES' LifeForce by alternating being hori and verti stages and (from the first two stages, which are all I've sampled), I like how the style is similar. The second stage is a standard hori base stage....while the first is verti, but has all those rock islands to dodge between, making it feel almost like a base-type level. From what I've played, I could see me going lower than an "8" unless it really falls off later on — and from what I've heard, it doesn't do that.

Hopefully, I kinda cleared up what I had been trying to say. I wasn't trying to attack anyone's views on what games are good or whatnot....just trying to offer my opinion on things as pertaining to the shmup genre during the 16-bit era.
www.honestgamers.com
Come....join.....stay forever......
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

overdrive wrote:
BrianC wrote:

I think you may have read too much into what I was saying.... To break it down into points again (even though I apparently didn't do a good job of explaining myself in the last post).

1. I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just giving my personal opinion on the SNES as a shooter machine as compared to other systems of its time. If that opinion is different than yours, that's fine with me. I just mentioned your name because your dissenting opinion kinda livened up this discussion a bit.

2. The SNES was far ahead of the Game Gear and GameBoy, as well as a number of other systems. There were a decent number of shmups on the SNES and many of them were at least decent. In my opinion, the shmup genre is the hardest to get right on a tiny-screen handheld. When I play a shooter, I'm most comfortable with a large screen AND I find myself getting my nose right up to that screen during tense moments. Because of that, I just think that (in general) handhelds are never going to be great shmup-playing machines.

3. The part where I really think you misunderstood me involved me talking about how the SNES shooters tended to be better aesthetically, as I think you thought I meant that was all they did good. I'm going to try to explain myself a bit better, so I'm going to break this one down into a number of points.

a. There's no shame in being the system with the best graphics in your shooters — I wasn't trying to use that as a negative. While graphics aren't the be-all, end-all of the genre, they add a great deal. We're talking about fancy explosions, cool weapon effects and more. If a game has the mechanics down pat, a little (or lot of) eye candy only can enhance that gameplay.

b. While I didn't mention Mode 7, that little effect did create one of the most memorable shmup special effects of all time (once again, in my opinion). The second level of Space Megaforce (Super Aleste) should have been just another mundane shmup level, BUT the Mode 7 scrolling of the space station below created the illusion that you were descending on it while circling downward UNTIL you were right on top of it, destroying every little enemy installation. Mode 7 made that level a breathtaking experience just below that of 19xx's fifth level where you descend through the clouds to just over a train track (or highway, it's been awhile) leading into a city at night. While I'm not the biggest fan of Mode 7 OVERALL, I'd never criticize someone for praising it's usefulness in shooters.

c. When I review games, gameplay is the most important thing for me, as well. All the eye candy in the world don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, or something like that. Different people just have different opinions on what constitutes good gameplay. I don't see many people defending Rob's "9" for Bio Metal, for example.....and I also don't see many people backing him on on a couple of his low ratings for games. While it's not a shooter, I wrote a review for Kirby Super Star today and gave it a "6". If you look on GameFAQs, I'm the only person out of (I think) 34 that rated it under "8". It just goes to show that sometimes, a person's tastes might be a bit controversial when compared to the majority's.

d. As for Axelay, I didn't argue anything about why you liked it. Personally, I've never argued anything about Axelay. I've fiddled with it briefly, but I haven't played it extensively enough to review it or give more than a brief, superficial opinion. I think it looks good, I like the way it recaptures the NES' LifeForce by alternating being hori and verti stages and (from the first two stages, which are all I've sampled), I like how the style is similar. The second stage is a standard hori base stage....while the first is verti, but has all those rock islands to dodge between, making it feel almost like a base-type level. From what I've played, I could see me going lower than an "8" unless it really falls off later on — and from what I've heard, it doesn't do that.

Hopefully, I kinda cleared up what I had been trying to say. I wasn't trying to attack anyone's views on what games are good or whatnot....just trying to offer my opinion on things as pertaining to the shmup genre during the 16-bit era.
ok. I'm sorry for misunderstanding.
overdrive

Post by overdrive »

Oh, and as for your list of good SNES shooters, while I'm not overly familiar with all of them (some I've played extensively, while others I've just messed with a bit), I'm not going to dispute any of them as being worthy of esteem.

I will say that with U.N. Squadron, I thought it was cheap how you need one of two (out of what, five or six?) planes to beat one boss — but, overall, I either love or like all the 12 games you mentioned (even if some of that "like" only is based on toying with the opening stage or two of the game)...

If you want my honest opinion, I'd love it if we did a retro console version of the "Top 25 Shmups" thing. You know, all the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, as well as the prominant handhelds of the time and the GBA (as it's essentially a slightly souped-up SNES in handheld form). Personally, I rarely play newer shmups and I just don't get into the Do Don Pachi's and Batsugan's of the genre the way I get into the old-school home console games. Anyone can say what they want, but for my tastes, nothing beats wasting away an afternoon playing games of this generation.
www.honestgamers.com
Come....join.....stay forever......
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

overdrive wrote:Oh, and as for your list of good SNES shooters, while I'm not overly familiar with all of them (some I've played extensively, while others I've just messed with a bit), I'm not going to dispute any of them as being worthy of esteem.

I will say that with U.N. Squadron, I thought it was cheap how you need one of two (out of what, five or six?) planes to beat one boss — but, overall, I either love or like all the 12 games you mentioned (even if some of that "like" only is based on toying with the opening stage or two of the game)...

If you want my honest opinion, I'd love it if we did a retro console version of the "Top 25 Shmups" thing. You know, all the 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, as well as the prominant handhelds of the time and the GBA (as it's essentially a slightly souped-up SNES in handheld form). Personally, I rarely play newer shmups and I just don't get into the Do Don Pachi's and Batsugan's of the genre the way I get into the old-school home console games. Anyone can say what they want, but for my tastes, nothing beats wasting away an afternoon playing games of this generation.
oh ok. I deleted that list becuase I decided it wasn't necessary, though.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

just wanted to point out that while i may not agree with Rob's numbers, Biometal is a winner. i own the us cart so the music sucks, but i'm really liking the game. i bought it as part of a lot off Shooter J some time ago, and fired it up to test but powered off quickly due to initial frustration. last night i decided to actually try it, as i have been playing all Gradius and felt like a change of pace, and all i can say is wow. after a dozen wasted credits, i managed to one life to the second boss. love the shield mechanic. i plan on keeping this in the snes for awhile, and i certainly won't be playing Biometal Gust now. :D
I have no sig whatsoever.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thank you, captain ahar. At least someone sees its beauty.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

my pleasure Rob. there is something undescribably special about swooping in close to an enemy and fire up the shield to not only nullify their shots, but kill their stupid asses as well. :P
I have no sig whatsoever.
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

I haven't played even a quarter of these, but what I can recognize, I can agree with. For me, the Parodius series is the best thing going on the SNES. I haven't played Bio Metal.

There was some talk about Fuzzy Shooting in the last forum. It's randomized, which might have been hard to do on the SNES. I never played it enough to get past the boss, but I never knew about using Select, either. I happened to like it at the time.
llabnip

Re: Rob's Complete list of SNES shmups.

Post by llabnip »

Rob wrote:Strike Gunner STG (1/10)
What?! STG rocks! It's not the best SNES shooter, but it's in the top 10 for me. Then again, I love the basics ;)
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.

Post by Guest »

Hmm...Rob, I'm curious, you give Super Nova a 1/10 giving the difficulty of recovering after you die as the sole reason for not liking the game, then you give Gradius 3 a 5/10. I find it much more difficult to recover in Gradius 3.

Also, did you take into account the fact that Gradius 3 for SNES has some of the worst slowdown issues of any game in history before you reviewed it in comparison to Super Nova? I mean I like Gradius 3 too, but saying it's five times better than Super Nova, I would strongly disagree.

In Super Nova, you're virtually always provided with two streams of enemies which yield red and blue power-ups after you die...not to mention the fact that if you died with a yellow shield, you get to start back off with a yellow shield again when you get a blue power-up. It's not THAT difficult to recover.

Somebody mentioned mode7 effects. Super Nova has beautiful use of the mode7 effects all throughout the game, I urge you to give it another chance.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rob wrote:The arcade version is challenging.
Gradius III SNES may not be as hard as the arcade, but I wouldn't call it a cake walk either. It's still very challenging and hard in spots. I certainly wouldn't call the bubble stage easy. Also, the game has a hidden arcade mode, which makes the game much harder. The arcade mode code is simple to do too.

I'm going to give Biometal a try. It definatly sounds interesting. Rob, have you tried Athena's other SNES shmup thingy? It's a shmup editor and has a version of Daioh with it. I liked what I tried of it, though I need to play more for a full impression.
Rob

Post by Rob »

That Dazaemon game or something else?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rob wrote:That Dazaemon game or something else?
yup, that Dazaemon game. I wonder if it's possible to make your own fast paced SNES gamee with it.
Regulus

Post by Regulus »

BrianC wrote:
Rob wrote:The arcade version is challenging.
Gradius III SNES may not be as hard as the arcade, but I wouldn't call it a cake walk either. It's still very challenging and hard in spots. I certainly wouldn't call the bubble stage easy. Also, the game has a hidden arcade mode, which makes the game much harder. The arcade mode code is simple to do too.
I don't know... I picked up Gradius III on the SNES for the first time in years (I hadn't even made it past the moai stage before - I'd hardly played it) and while I haven't beaten it yet, I'd have to say that getting to the Speed Stage (7? I don't remember.) boss on a single life on my first try makes it somewhat easy. And I'm just now getting into shmups, too, so it isn't because of any experience I have.

Also... how can R-Type III not be on that list? Blasphemy!
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

Even I think that Rob is being a bit cynical.
Axelay wasn't that bad, even considering the Vertical Levels.

But I didn't find much to like about R-Type III either.
Will someone please explain what sets it appart :o
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Dartagnan1083 wrote:Even I think that Rob is being a bit cynical.
Axelay wasn't that bad, even considering the Vertical Levels.

But I didn't find much to like about R-Type III either.
Will someone please explain what sets it appart :o
Are great control, cool force pods, and good level design not enough?
Rob

Post by Rob »

"6" isn't bad, it's above average/good. I enjoy the vertical stages as much as the side-scrolling, but they are awkward. As for the side-scrolling stages, I see them as competent but not exceptional. Not very challenging, but not cheap. Just not a bad game, with upper end Konami quality graphics and music. I like to make distinctions between levels of good.
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

I should probably give Rtype III another go.
What bothered me the most was the snails pacing of the levels.
But I may as well try again.
Track my "Progress"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Dartagnan1083 wrote:I should probably give Rtype III another go.
What bothered me the most was the snails pacing of the levels.
But I may as well try again.
ahh. R-Type games always had a slower pace. However, I don't mind this at all and the games are designed around the slower pace. There is nothing wrong with liking slower or faster paced games. If you have a preferance for faster paced games, it's probably a given that you might not like any game in the R-Type series. However, this doesn't make them poorly designed or pure **** either.
Turrican

Re: Rob's Complete list of SNES shmups.

Post by Turrican »

Rob wrote:Bio Metal (9/10)
Macross Scrambled Valkyrie (7/10)
Parodius Da! (7/10)
Space Megaforce (6/10)
Axelay (6/10)
Earth Defense Force (5/10)
Gradius 3 (5/10)
Syvalion (5/10)
Dropzone (5/10)
Spriggan Powered (5/10)
Pop N Twinbee (5/10)
Flying Hero (5/10)
Super R-Type (4/10)
Imperium (4/10)
Thunder Spirits (4/10)
Cotton 100% (4/10)
Acrobat Mission (4/10)
Tekkaman Blade (3/10)
Blazeon (3/10)
Firepower 2000 (3/10)
UN Squadron (3/10)
Cosmo Gang (3/10)
Phalanx (3/10)
Fuzzy Shooting (3/10)
Raiden Trad (2/10)
Sonic Wings (2/10)
SD Gundam (2/10)
Caravan Shooting (2/10)
Darius Twin (2/10)
Super Nova (1/10)
Hunt for Red October (1/10)
D-Force (1/10)
Strike Gunner STG (1/10)
Galaxy Wars (1/10)

Alright, so it's only 90-95% complete. Let's discuss SNES shooters in this thread!
Rob, man, what is the meaning of this topic? I'll tell you one thing. You're approach to Snes shmups is the most wrong I've ever seen, LOL ^_^

The Snes, like each piece of hardware has a sort of personality that somewhat influences the shmups created on it.

Now, it is clear from the other thread (the Darius/Thunderspirits one) that you don't like this personality, this weird breed of slowpaced, graphically-geared shmups.

And this is fine, of course.

Then what you do? You basically pick Bio Metal, the most MD shumps on the snes, a game that is ended on the Snes for a bizarre twist of fate, and you crown it the absolute best Snes shmup.

I admit I'm thrilled by your daring list, but weirdness aside, it's all wrong.

Without further ado, here's mine. You'll see I like the Snes for what it has to offer. I comprehend its nature, while you (choosing Biometal) fight it.

1. Super Aleste (this one, fyi, is better than Musha) 10/10

2. Pop'n Twinbee (#1 for 2player games) 9/10

3. Axelay 9/10

4. R-Type III 9/10

5. Parodius Da! 9/10

Aside from #1, that just shows Compile's supremacy, #2 is the true symbol of the Snes way to the shmup.

You might also notice the slow Axelay gets point over the excellent R-Type III, exactly because Axelay is more connected to the Snes capabilities.

6. Gokujou Parodius 8/10

7. Oshaberi Parodius 8/10

8. Area 88 8/10

8. Macross 7/10

9. Super EDF 6/10

10. Gradius III 6/10

I think a top ten is enough. Phalanx, Super R-Type, maybe Super SWIV (as the best western representant) are worthy a mention. Biometal, you ask? I would rank it in the same mediocre rank as Phalanx.

edit: just to make things clearer, I add the votes too.
Last edited by Turrican on Tue May 03, 2005 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Bottom line: basically, you doing this thread is like you doing a "Rob's complete list of Compile shmups" where you list all Compile games and give them all 1/10 with maybe some 2/10 :D :P
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hey, good idea, but I did give Super Aleste a respectable rank. Quality game, brilliant next to most of those.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Rob wrote:For the record a complete Genesis list from me would look fairly similar, and lots of Gen "classics" would get ranked low (Gaiares, anything Toaplan). They're not all going to be Lightening Force and Bio Metal-quality classics. I enjoy playing any shooter in just seeing what it's all about, even if I give it a low score.
Yes, I believe this. I think you're unbiased, if nothing else. You might like a certain approach or gamestyle, but you won't start this to support your fav system. I don't sense any fanboyness.

At this point, given that the genesis list is much more articulated, I would very like to see that for real. I'm fairly confident that would give birth to a better debate.
Rob wrote:Hey, good idea, but I did give Super Aleste a respectable rank. Quality game, brilliant next to most of those.
Really, how sweet of you... Can't understand if it manages to achieve that because of Snes depressing scenario, or really Compile exceeded itself. :D

/irony.
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

Lightening Force - 10/10
Twinkle Tale - 9/10
Thunder Force 3 - 8/10
Thunder Force 2 - 8/10
Forgotten Worlds - 7/10
Bio Hazard Battle - 7/10
Phelios - 7/10
Gleylancer - 7/10
Eliminate Down - 6/10
MUSHA - 6/10
Elemental Master - 6/10
Battlemania 2 - 6/10
Sol-Deace - 5/10
Air Buster - 5/10
Raiden Trad - 5/10
Wings of Wor - 5/10
Task Force Harrier Ex - 5/10
Sagaia - 4/10
Gaiares - 4/10
Undead Line - 4/10
Grindstormer - 4/10
Arrow Flash - 3/10
Steel Empire - 3/10
Fire Shark - 3/10
Truxton - 3/10
Twin Cobra - 3/10
Insector X - 2/10
Divine Sealing - 1/10

I don't recall enough many mediocre Genesis shooters, so I'd say this is more top heavy than it would be complete (ex. I know Curse, Darwin 2040, Vapor Trail, etc. suck, but I can't recall how much they suck).

Seeing how I put TT on this list, add Pocky & Rocky (8/10) to the other list.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Excellent, if this is your genesis list, then the previous one feels balanced enough.

I like what I see. I like Gaiarse a lot below Gleylancer. I like to see BH Battle is given some deserved respect. I like that 200 USD Eliminate Down doesn't automatically translate in "awesome game".

What I don't like, I think you already know:

-TF III is above TF IV

-Musha gets 9/10

-Gynoug so low, while lackluster Phelios and FWorlds ports so high? Meh.

Finally, I must say I'm positively surprised by your cold about Toaplan. I would have thought a fan of challenging games would have rated them higher, especially Tatsujin.

And hey, any MD list without CATS is fine with me.

P.S. No Europe whatsoever on your tastes. No Super/ Mega SWIV, no Battle Squadron, No Xenon 2...
X - P - B
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

BrianC wrote:[ If you have a preferance for faster paced games, it's probably a given that you might not like any game in the R-Type series. However, this doesn't make them poorly designed or pure **** either.
I did enjoy R-type Final. Super Rtype would have been OK if not for the lack of checkpoints.
I wasn't very skilled when I tried part III almost 3 years ago, so perhaps I'll be different going back.
Track my "Progress"
Regulus

Post by Regulus »

If you enjoyed R-type Final, then you'd probably enjoy III as well. While it doesn't have the huge array of unlockable ships and, as a result, the level of replay value that RTF has (obviously), it has somewhat better level design (in my opinion). It ends up being a little more satisfying in the long run.