Deinterlaced Mushi PS2 (and Ibara)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
antron

Post by antron »

Raiden III looks good. The 3D background does OK. All ships and bullets are more defined.
General Martok

Post by General Martok »

indstr wrote:how did you disable the filtering in DOJ? it looks blurry as crap on my pcsx2. also, does mushi run fullspeed for you? the only ps2 cave game that is fullspeed for me is doj. mushi is ALMOST fast enough but not quite :( intel core 2 duo e4300, geforce 7800 gs agp, 1gb ram
I had speed issues aswell , but when I downloaded the newst version of the gsdx9 plugin (not included in the pcsx2 installer, but somehwere on their forums) I got a nice steady 60fps .
Gsdx9 doesn't actually filter anything if you don't check "Texture Filtering" . It just appears blurry if you use native resolution due to resizing. Try something like 1280x996

The main reason I'm trying the ReKleSS-fix is to get rid of the input-lag from the deinterlacing :(
indstr

Post by indstr »

General Martok wrote: Gsdx9 doesn't actually filter anything if you don't check "Texture Filtering" . It just appears blurry if you use native resolution due to resizing. Try something like 1280x996

The main reason I'm trying the ReKleSS-fix is to get rid of the input-lag from the deinterlacing :(
yeah, i tried gsdx 0.1.7 but i still had some issues. slows down noticably, even with frameskip options. what are your system specs? also what do you mean "try something like 1280x996"? do you have your pcsx fullscreen by default, or windowed? i run 1024x768. whenever i run 0.9.5 builds, it crashes, so i can't do fullscreen because of the crash dialog window... but if i do windowed mode, i can just drag the crash box out of the way and maximize the game window and ignore the crash window :)
cody

Post by cody »

Seriously, thanks for doing this.

? *anyone want to sell me back my copy of Ibara ps2* ?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I'd like if this worked on Dragon Blaze. Has anyone tried it?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

this is all just through emulation right? or running through PS2 emulation that is.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Strider77 wrote:this is all just through emulation right? or running through PS2 emulation that is.
Well, you are actually altering the data, so you should be able to burn it onto a DVD and play it on your PS2, I think. You might need a swap disc or a modchip to play it, tho.
antron

Post by antron »

Strider77 wrote:this is all just through emulation right? or running through PS2 emulation that is.
I am only posting about running on a real PS2.

Shikigami no Shiro II looks good.

Also, going back to ReKleSS' first post about Mushi, I see what he is talking about with the background shifting. It almost seems to happen in patches. But at least I can see what is going on now. It is so much more defined that it looks brighter. If I play Mushi at all on a PS2, it will be with this hack.
antron

Post by antron »

I found the strings twice in Sheinryu Double Pack. I changed them all and the game wouldn't load.

I found the strings three times in Street Fighter AC. I changes them all and the game wouldn't load. I changes the third set only and Third Strike wouldn't load. I changes the second set only an SF2 wouldn't load.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

So is it right to just change the values in the ISO, using a Hex editor? Or is any other kind of "patching" or repackaging required?
antron

Post by antron »

Mikey wrote:So is it right to just change the values in the ISO, using a Hex editor? Or is any other kind of "patching" or repackaging required?
just the hex editor.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

This is like reading german. How do you do this?

s/m
antron

Post by antron »

antron wrote:
P_HAT wrote:Guys, we need tutorial >_>
I just ripped the disc to an ISO file on my PC.
Opened the ISO with a hex editor.
Used find and replace function for the two strings.
Saved changes.
Burned new ISO.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

antron wrote:
antron wrote:
P_HAT wrote:Guys, we need tutorial >_>
I just ripped the disc to an ISO file on my PC.
Opened the ISO with a hex editor.
Used find and replace function for the two strings.
Saved changes.
Burned new ISO.
+
use HxD - it's free and easy to use ^^
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Hmm...I downloaded Hex Editor, and opened up the Image file. Used Search for both lines, and it told me that it couldn't find either line. I'm trying this with Ibara.

Also, I used ISO buster to pull the files off of the DVD. Is there any other way I should be ripping this?

Any advice?

s/m
antron

Post by antron »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Hmm...I downloaded Hex Editor, and opened up the Image file. Used Search for both lines, and it told me that it couldn't find either line. I'm trying this with Ibara.

Also, I used ISO buster to pull the files off of the DVD. Is there any other way I should be ripping this?

Any advice?

s/m
don't pull the files out. you'll go through a lot of trouble to put them back right.

as far as not finding the lines, you must be doing something wrong. an extra space or something in your search?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

OK, what would be a good program to just pull out everything in an ISO?

EDIT: I'll use DVD Decrypter...

EDIT: It's not finding these lines. I've searched at least 6 different times. I've used HxD and Hex Toolbox. No luck.

s/m
indstr

Post by indstr »

noob video question here:

i have a hori upscan converter, which essentially functions to de-interlace games anyway into 480p format for a computer monitor.

would applying these hacks on these games do any good for me? i tried out contra: shattered soldier yesterday, and in the options i enabled "480p", and it ended up doubling the image on my monitor.

so i'm thinking if i de-interlace mushi, it would also have a doubled image. dunno

anybody know?
antron

Post by antron »

evil_ash_xero wrote:OK, what would be a good program to just pull out everything in an ISO?

EDIT: It's not finding these lines. I've searched at least 6 different times. I've used HxD and Hex Toolbox. No luck.

s/m
maybe you are searching for ascii? you need hex.
nZero

Post by nZero »

indstr wrote:noob video question here:

i have a hori upscan converter, which essentially functions to de-interlace games anyway into 480p format for a computer monitor.

would applying these hacks on these games do any good for me? i tried out contra: shattered soldier yesterday, and in the options i enabled "480p", and it ended up doubling the image on my monitor.

so i'm thinking if i de-interlace mushi, it would also have a doubled image. dunno

anybody know?
It deinterlaces the picture (240p), it doesn't change the resolution. It'll work fine with the Upscan Converter 2.
indstr

Post by indstr »

nZero wrote: It deinterlaces the picture (240p), it doesn't change the resolution. It'll work fine with the Upscan Converter 2.
sweet, thanks for the info. i'll give it a try this week!
antron

Post by antron »

evil_ash_xero wrote:OK, what would be a good program to just pull out everything in an ISO?

s/m
I made a PPF (Playstation Patch File) for Ibara. It can be applied with the windows program PPF-O-Matic found here:
http://files.filefront.com/PPFoMatic+Ve ... einfo.html
or the command line ApplyPPF for various OS:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cvogxywzdw3

The patch file (.ppf) should be applied to the image in iso form, and can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nrd1jfixidl
indstr

Post by indstr »

wowza!!! i tried this on mushi, it looks about 58 million times better! or maybe only twice as good, but still, huge improvement!

is there a list of other games this works on?
antron

Post by antron »

indstr wrote:is there a list of other games this works on?
works:
Ibara
Mushi
SnoS II
Raiden III

does not work:
Gradius V
Sheinryu Double
Street Fighter AC (Third Strike or SFII sections)
Last edited by antron on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

antron wrote:

s/m
I made a PPF (Playstation Patch File) for Ibara. It can be applied with the windows program PPF-O-Matic found here:
http://files.filefront.com/PPFoMatic+Ve ... einfo.html
or the command line ApplyPPF for various OS:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cvogxywzdw3

The patch file (.ppf) should be applied to the image in iso form, and can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nrd1jfixidl
Thanks a lot for doing this. I'm buring the disc now.

Does this also work with Mushi? This patch I mean.

s/m
antron

Post by antron »

evil_ash_xero wrote: Does this also work with Mushi? This patch I mean.

s/m
no
Shion

Post by Shion »

indstr wrote:wowza!!! i tried this on mushi, it looks about 58 million times better! or maybe only twice as good, but still, huge improvement!

Did you try it on a ps2 or through emulation?

I have a HDD in my ps2, and would consider doing this if I knew how much it would help.
antron

Post by antron »

Shion wrote:
indstr wrote:wowza!!! i tried this on mushi, it looks about 58 million times better! or maybe only twice as good, but still, huge improvement!

I have a HDD in my ps2, and would consider doing this if I knew how much it would help.
Works wonders on the real thing. I use HDLoader as well.
I noticed that WinHIIP has a PPF patching function. You could probably apply it for Ibara directly on the disc. I'll make patches for the other games this weekend.
Shion

Post by Shion »

antron wrote:
Shion wrote:

Works wonders on the real thing. I use HDLoader as well.
I noticed that WinHIIP has a PPF patching function. You could probably apply it for Ibara directly on the disc. I'll make patches for the other games this weekend.
Cool, I'll wait for the Mushi patch then. I use a wireless installer though, so I don't have to hook up the HDD in my pc every time ;p
antron

Post by antron »

Shion wrote:I use a wireless installer though, so I don't have to hook up the HDD in my pc every time ;p
Wireless? You mean ethernet to a wireless bridge?