Deinterlaced Mushi PS2 (and Ibara)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
em0ti0n

Re: Deinterlaced Mushi PS2 (and Ibara)

Post by em0ti0n »

peace4myheart wrote:ICO PAL version with the changed code runs but I can't really tell if it is working or not as I am running it on a low res CRT monitor and both version look the same to me, i.e. still blurry. =/
ICO is already a 240p game :)
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Yeah, Ico isn't interlaced anyway. Forcing prog-scan is pointless. It's not supposed to look pin-sharp, though (soft light and all that, like in PoP: The Sands of Time, MGS3 etc.). You are using an RGB SCART lead, aren't you? If not, get yourself one. If you are after higher resolution (since it's prog-scanned already), PS2 emulator on the PC is the way to go.
Personally I think the likes of Ico and the original Silent Hill don't look better in higher resolutions. Their visual charms are preserved best within the realm of ancient cathode ray tubes.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

peace4myheart

Post by peace4myheart »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Yeah, Ico isn't interlaced anyway. Forcing prog-scan is pointless. It's not supposed to look pin-sharp, though (soft light and all that, like in PoP: The Sands of Time, MGS3 etc.). You are using an RGB SCART lead, aren't you? If not, get yourself one. If you are after higher resolution (since it's prog-scanned already), PS2 emulator on the PC is the way to go.
Personally I think the likes of Ico and the original Silent Hill don't look better in higher resolutions. Their visual charms are preserved best within the realm of ancient cathode ray tubes.
I am using component to RGB on my low res monitor and it looks good, just not as good as I remembered when I played it on my CRT TV. I guess I just wanted it to look sharper when hooking up to an HDTV, but that is just wishful thinking. Of course, I can always wait for the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD re-release on PS3 as ICO is my first PS2 game and is one of my favorite game of all time. =P
D

Post by D »

The fruits of my labour: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=30389
Do work 240p, tested and confirmed by me:
ccc1
ccc2 (Looks like "that brown substance" compared to 480p, which this game natively supports anyway :wink: )
Garou jpn
SNK Arcade Collection us
ibara
RaidenIII PAL
Gigawing Generations jpn
Metal Slug 4 (US)
Metal Slug 5 (US)
Matrimelee
mushi
Space Invaders Aniversary pal
Trizeal (jpn)
XII Stag jpn
Art of Fighting Anthology

Do not work 240p, tested and confirmed by me:
Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol.1 - Strikers 1945 1&2 [NTSC-J] [SLPM-62515] only first hex found once and replaced, second hex not found

My set up
PS2 50001 PAL model.
HDadvance 2.0
Here´s my work flow (all info found in this thread)

Hex Toolbox
Set Search type to hex in main window.
In search box dialog, set "string may contain HEX" to yes.
search
Change to hex USING NOT THE NUMPAD, but the numerals above the letters on your keyboard, so to say...
Search further, repeat process. until the string cannot be found anymore.
Repeat the process for the other hex. The replace function seem to function very slow....

hey, HxD hex-editor has a great and fast replace function average 5 minutes per replace operation.
I now recommend using HxD hex-editor

The list, including the ones tested by me, now looks like this:
Working:
Arcana heart 2 = working ( but intro not working, just press "O" button to pass)
Art of Fighting Anthology US (* special instructions for hdadvance 2.0)
Beyond Good & Evil (NTSC-U) works
Capcom classic collection (USA)
Capcom classic collection 2 (USA)
Garou Mark of the Wolves (JPN)
Gigawing Generations jpn
gunbird 1&2 (ntsc-j)
Hokuto no Ken (JPN)
Homura (NTSC-J) works
Ibara (JPN)
King of Fighters XI (JPN)
King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (JPN)
King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (JPN)
Metal Slug 3 (NTSC-J) works
Metal Slug 4 (US)
Metal Slug 5 (US)
Metal Slug Complete (JPN)
Matrimelee (looks awesome)
Mushihimesama (JPN)
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (NSTC-U) works
Odin Sphere (NTSC-U) works
Okami (NTSC-U) works
Panzer Dragoon (NTSC-U) works
Radirgy (NTSC-J) works
Raiden III (JPN/PAL)
Rez (NTSC-U) works
Shikigami no Shiro II (JPN)
SNK Collection Vol. 1 (JPN)
Space Invaders Aniversary (PAL)
SVC Chaos (NTSC-J) works but top of the screen is glitchy
The King of Fighters XI (NTSC-U) works
Thunder Force VI (JPN)
thunder cross
Trizeal jpn
Twinkle Star Sprites (NTSC-J) works but 1/4 of screen is shifted downward
XII Stag (NTSC-J) works

* Art of Fighting. I discovered that while booting, the iso on my hd checks the disc drive, so I tried to insert the backup disc and it worked. It is loading from the disc. (not really a great way to boot, but ok, it´s 240P)
The backup disc needs to be "silently" inserted after hdadvance boots in order to work.
The discdrive needs to stop and then swap tool it. (just like you probably do when converting)

The list, including the ones tested by me, now looks like this:
non working:

Capcom Vs SNK 2 (NTSC-U) doesn't work
Castle Shikigami 2 (US release)
Cho Aniki (NTSC-J) doesn't work
Front Mission 5 (NTSC-J) doesn't work
Gekka no Kenshi 2 in 1 (JPN)
Gradius III & IV (NTSC-U) doesn't have the codes to be replaced
Gradius V (JPN)
Gunbird SE (PAL)
Hyper Street Fighter II (JPN)
Last Blade
Marvel Vs Capcom 2 NTSC-U) doesn't work
Mega Man Anniversary Collection (US)
Mr. Mosquito (NSTC-U) doesn't work
Psyvariar (PAL)
Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol.1 - Strikers 1945 1&2 [NTSC-J] [SLPM-62515] only first hex found once and replaced, second hex not found
Psikyo Shooting Collection 2 (JPN)
Psikyo Shooting Collection 3 (JPN)
Samurai Aces (PAL)
Samurai Spirits Rokuban Shobu (JPN)
Shienryu Double Pack (JPN)
Simple2000 Vol.37: Double Shienryu (NTSC-J) doesn't work
Street Fighter III Third Strike (JPN)
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (US)
Street Fighter Zero Fighter's Generations (JPN)
Sunsoft Collection (NTSC-J) doesn't work
taito memories I & II (ntsc-j) do not work
Vampire: Darstalker's Collection (JPN)
World Heroes Gorgeous (JP)

more to come and when I get my component cable I will check 480p patches
moh

Post by moh »

oh wow, im actually surprised what a big difference the deinterlacing made. all the jittery-ness of the graphics are gone. this is amazing!

now i feel stupid for buying an official copy when im playing a burnt copy all the time D:
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
antron

Post by antron »

iirc the games in Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol.1 - Strikers 1945 1&2 are already 240p, just the menu is interlaced, so it doesn't really matter.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

I managed to finally get this working on my Mac, using KOF2002UM. I'm excited to do that with more games, now. If I have success with something that hasn't been listed, I'll post it.

Edit: that is, I made the hex edited on my Mac, playing the game on my PS2.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

Also, Art of Fighting anthology is already in 240p. I don't know if that's been pointed out.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

The following also work:

King of Fighters 2003 (US)
King of Fighters Neowave (JP)

King of Fighters Nests Saga almost works. It has an awful lot of instances of the codes to replace. The first couple of screens come up before the menu, then nothing.

EDIT
Also working:
King of Fighters 00/01 (US)
King of Fighters Orochi Saga (US)

I didn't test 2002, because 2002UM already works.

It's a shame NESTS doesn't work, as that leaves 99 as the only KoF on the PS2 that we can't patch to 240p.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

Thjodbjorn wrote:The following also work:

King of Fighters 2003 (US)
King of Fighters Neowave (JP)

King of Fighters Nests Saga almost works. It has an awful lot of instances of the codes to replace. The first couple of screens come up before the menu, then nothing.

EDIT
Also working:
King of Fighters 00/01 (US)
King of Fighters Orochi Saga (US)

I didn't test 2002, because 2002UM already works.

It's a shame NESTS doesn't work, as that leaves 99 as the only KoF on the PS2 that we can't patch to 240p.
Isn´t KOF2000 from the pack already 240p native? I could have sworn it was, as I remember prefering the PS2 version to the DC version which was 480i. In that compilation it was just 2001 that was presented in 480i I believe.
D

Post by D »

Thjodbjorn wrote:Also, Art of Fighting anthology is already in 240p. I don't know if that's been pointed out.
Really, I hadn´t noticed. I´ll have to try again and see. Are you 100% sure? the menu´s are in 480i, but perhaps the games run in 240p
Is there a list of games that run in 240p?
It can however be run in 480p with GSM, which is how I play it. Love those desperation moves.
JBueno MD

Post by JBueno MD »

D wrote:
Thjodbjorn wrote:Also, Art of Fighting anthology is already in 240p. I don't know if that's been pointed out.
Really, I hadn´t noticed. I´ll have to try again and see. Are you 100% sure? the menu´s are in 480i, but perhaps the games run in 240p
It can however be run in 480p with GSM, which is how I play it. Love those desperation moves.
I can confirm that Art of Fighting Anthology runs in 240p, as do both Fatal Fury collections. Those games have 480i main menus but once you select the games you get your nice 240p output with delicious scanlines on a CRT SDTV, and I must say it looks stunning using Component output on my 21" Sony Trinitron from 2007. Of course, none of those games worked on my LG LCD using component since it doesn´t like being fed 240p content through Component.

Plus in these versions you get the option to pick between the original AES/MVS music or the sweet NeoGeo CD OSTs, which make the compilations the definitive versions for me.
moonwhistle

Post by moonwhistle »

JBueno MD wrote:
D wrote:
I can confirm that Art of Fighting Anthology runs in 240p, as do both Fatal Fury collections. Those games have 480i main menus but once you select the games you get your nice 240p output with delicious scanlines on a CRT SDTV, and I must say it looks stunning using Component output on my 21" Sony Trinitron from 2007. Of course, none of those games worked on my LG LCD using component since it doesn´t like being fed 240p content through Component.

Plus in these versions you get the option to pick between the original AES/MVS music or the sweet NeoGeo CD OSTs, which make the compilations the definitive versions for me.
Fatal Fury Collection 1 doesn't have a training mode which is pretty ridulous if you ask me. Otherwise it's a great compilation but how am I supposed to practice moves etc..
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

moonwhistle wrote: Fatal Fury Collection 1 doesn't have a training mode which is pretty ridulous if you ask me. Otherwise it's a great compilation but how am I supposed to practice moves etc..
Wouldn't setting the difficulty to easy, or just choosing 2 player mode work as well?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

Re: "Gunbird SE (PAL)" not working:

I just popped this game in last night. It is native 240p, if my XRGB-mini and television's "status" screen is to be believed.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That's interesting because both the japanese and the korean editions are definitely 480i for both Gunbird 1 and Gunbird 2.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

That seemed weird to me, too. But I kept checking, and unless there is some goofy bug, it's 240p. I'd obviously prefer independent confirmation.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'll check later on. I have a PAL copy somewhere floating around.....
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Ok, I can confirm it. Just grabbed a PAL copy and checked and both Gunbird 1 and 2 are running in true 240p. I then looked for my NTSC copy (korean version with Strikers 1+2 in the same package) and tried this and - guess what - it's running in 240p as well. Can't really say why I assumed that Gunbird's running in 480i in the collection - sorry about that.

This makes the PS2 compilation quite nice with Gunbird 1 just a good as the Saturn version and Gunbird 2 just up there with the DC version unless you need VGA. (and let's not discuss the catastrophic PS1 version).
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

The Korean strikers I and ii are 240p?! Great!

I find that the ps2 Gunbird 1 looks a teeny bit worse, but I don't have an RGB cable for my PS2.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, sorry. It's a 2-disc package and while Gunbird's 240p, Strikers 1+2 are 480i for sure.
I find that the ps2 Gunbird 1 looks a teeny bit worse
compared to the Saturn version in tate ? You must have eagle eyes :)
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

Fudoh wrote:
no, sorry. It's a 2-disc package and while Gunbird's 240p, Strikers 1+2 are 480i for sure.
I find that the ps2 Gunbird 1 looks a teeny bit worse
compared to the Saturn version in tate ? You must have eagle eyes :)
Ah! Thanks for the clarification!

And as for the "worse looking" ps2 ver, it's entirely possible that I just don't have the mini optimized on component. RGB doesn't seem to need any tweaking.
ckong

Post by ckong »

Interesting topic. I just tried to hexedit Mushi and MS complete and both worked out great. So much better, these games in 240p than in flickering 480i. :D But I wonder why such a small hexcode change does the trick. Does it maybe mean that these and other games whee developed with a 2-way thought, let's do them in 480i or in 240p? And that someone at the very latest moment decided that 480i (fake hires, for the spoilt youth who didn't grew up with scanlines) would be a commercially better choice?
glitch

Post by glitch »

aren't you basically just setting the flag that selects what video mode the hardware outputs?
i don't think the games themselves really do anything different between 240p and 480i...

saw this on a friend's system long ago (back when this thread happened :lol:). nifty trick.
bombs save lives
Beaps

Post by Beaps »

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread but has anyone got the like to the PPF patcher & generic patch required.

THANKS!
B
ckong

Post by ckong »

You don't need to use a ppf patch, just use Hexedit and 'search and replace' the codes, much easier.

Some games that also work, and which are not mentioned earlier I believe:

Gunstar Heroes treasure Box - Sega Aces 25 (J)
Nights into dreams (J)
Ocean Commander (Eur)
Scaler (U)
Shin Gouketuji Ichizoku - Bonnou Kaihou (J)
XII Stag (Eur)
Triggerheart Exelica Enhanced (J)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

thanks for the updated title list!
this one has 240p in the video settings anyway, so there's no need to patch it.
ckong

Post by ckong »

OK, didn't know that.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Fudoh wrote:thanks for the updated title list!
this one has 240p in the video settings anyway, so there's no need to patch it.
240p, interlaced, 480p, 480p-with-scanlines. God bless M2!
jessiewonka

Post by jessiewonka »

Fudoh wrote:Ok, I can confirm it. Just grabbed a PAL copy and checked and both Gunbird 1 and 2 are running in true 240p. I then looked for my NTSC copy (korean version with Strikers 1+2 in the same package) and tried this and - guess what - it's running in 240p as well. Can't really say why I assumed that Gunbird's running in 480i in the collection - sorry about that.

This makes the PS2 compilation quite nice with Gunbird 1 just a good as the Saturn version and Gunbird 2 just up there with the DC version unless you need VGA. (and let's not discuss the catastrophic PS1 version).
When playing Gunbird 2 on a Dreamcast/Hanzo/Kenzei/XRGB-mini I've had the Hanzo on the RGB (480i) setting. But I keep reading there's a way to force 240p for certain Dreamcast games, Gunbird 2 included. How would I do this with my setup?

Or does that only work with patched games?