Senko no Ronde 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cuilan

Re: Senko no Ronde 2

Post by Cuilan »

Patch is out now!

Netcode is noticeably better and leaderboards no longer freeze.
:lol:
TaygetaVendetta

Post by TaygetaVendetta »

Cuilan wrote:Patch is out now!

Netcode is noticeably better and leaderboards no longer freeze.
Yay. I was waiting for this patch before I started the game. The game's release was delayed in the first place so they could improve the netcode supposedly, I'm surprised it had a bad start to begin with.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

i need a trap avatar. someone point me in the right direction.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

apple arcade wrote:i need a trap avatar. someone point me in the right direction.
You can use my old one, if you want.

apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

has to be lei!
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

apple arcade wrote:has to be lei!
Oh ok, then how about :

apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

sweet!
Exarion

Post by Exarion »

3 people with Lei avatars? I think there are now too many.

Back on topic, any chance of this seeing a US release? I heard it fixed most of the complaints about the first one.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Exarion wrote:3 people with Lei avatars? I think there are now too many.

Back on topic, any chance of this seeing a US release? I heard it fixed most of the complaints about the first one.
There can never be enough people with Lei avatars.

A possible US release is a long ways off, if it's ever going to happen, and there's a very good chance it won't.

As for "fixing" things from the first game, that's pretty subjective. It's definitely better in some ways. But I think some aspects of the sequel are worse, or different at best.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-23-83-a12 ... -18-2.html

both SE & LE are 5.00 off if anyone cares.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Looks like future sub-story DLC has been canceled due to cost issues... :cry:

http://maglog.jp/grev/Article1124348.html

But it seems like Strania hasn't been canceled at least.
manaka

Post by manaka »

Don't give these poor people the wrong impression now. G.rev's just saying they've been put on indefinite hold due to cost issues.

They're also looking for other possible ways to distribute the substories (ie Drama CDs, short stories, etc.) that'll keep costs down.

Guess not enough people bought DUO...
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Cuilan wrote:Looks like future sub-story DLC has been canceled due to cost issues... :cry:

http://maglog.jp/grev/Article1124348.html

But it seems like Strania hasn't been canceled at least.
I hope so, since I think Strania look quite nice. I expect it to hit Xbox 360 too.
It is a shame that people don't notice and care about DUO.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

What is Strainia?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

apple arcade wrote:What is Strainia?
Check here.
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

XBL = APPLE 01 DOJ

...be sure to add me if you're playing DUO
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

Burningvigor wrote:Can someone translate what this mission is asking me to do? Ive tried just about everything.

adversity1 wrote:You have to take the enemy down to Vanish! status and then time out.

Sorry, should've let people know about those. There's a few of em in Story mode.

Btw, you can change the stars if you find the battles too difficult. Some of them are crazy hard.
Can someone translate any of the other tricky battles?

I don't know what to do about the Mika vs Shinobu 6star S.S.S. battle?
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Game has been updated to version 2.2(110426)

This is a balance patch. Information on the changes can be found here : http://grev.co.jp/ronde2/top.html

I'll list the changes here too, translated (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) :

UrsureAB sub attack lasts longer when activated, B cartridge sub weapon reloads faster.
CuilanAB Spark Ball doesn't last as long, normal bullets and melee are weaker. ( :cry: )
JasperAB laser blade portion of main attack is weaker, BOSS is weaker.
FabianAB attack power when using main attack during barrier or dash has been increased.
MikaAB health has been decreased.
ErnulaAB BOSS takes more damage from attacks that deal continuous damage (such as napalm).
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

I picked up the Senko no Ronde novel + soundtrack and posted some pictures over here:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=175

Awesome package.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I picked this up over the weekend and I totally hate it. What am I missing here? I'm willing to give it a shot if someone can link me to some resources that will explain the right way to approach this game.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

ACSeraph wrote:I picked this up over the weekend and I totally hate it. What am I missing here? I'm willing to give it a shot if someone can link me to some resources that will explain the right way to approach this game.
If you approached it like a shmup, it's no surprise that you'd dislike it. Approach it like Virtual On or a versus fighter, and taking that further, it's best enjoyed when playing against another person since that's the best way to learn the "real" way to play it. When playing on your own, arcade and score attack modes are really little more than elaborate training modes (much like most other versus games). There's also the story mode which may or may not hold your interest, but I think it's enjoyable, so be sure to try it out. I'm pretty sure the online community is practically dead now, so the only good way to find reliable competition would be by adding other players to your XBL friends list. If you're in Tokyo, there's a head-to-head DUO dedicated cab in Mikado (or at least there was last time I was there), and you might find some people playing there.

As for more specific gameplay tips, I'd strongly recommend that you start off by learning how to use Lev or Changpo, since they're generally considered the easiest to learn and are also quite powerful on top of that.

If you've played Virtual On Oratorio Tangram, DUO is most similar to that but far more focused on ranged attacks since melee combat is very risky (unless you really know what you're doing). Much like VO, each of your weapons has an ammo counter (those circles around your character) that drains as you use it and automatically refills after some time passes. They also designate when a melee attack corresponding to that attack's button (M or S) can be activated: like if an opponent touches your S weapon's circle, you'll melee them with S if you hit that button. Also like VO, you can attack while standing still, or in the middle of a dash, or dash->dash again->attack, and unlike VO you can also attack while blocking. But again like VO, you can cancel dashes, or change dash trajectory by dashing again in the middle of a dash (you can either daisy-chain up to 3 dashes or 2 dashes+attack).

The melee system is basically Rock/Paper/Scissors (M, S, M+S). You can do a 1->2 combo by initiating a melee attack with M and then pressing S in the middle of the attack animation (if M connects). Unlike M or S melee, M+S melee can be activated regardless of proximity to opponent but can leave you exposed after it ends. M+S melee also clears most enemy bullets around you and can of course damage a near-by opponent (can also be used while dashing).

Although there are a number of different assist combinations, only the "four corners" are really useful in competitive play. You get one assist use per round and they don't stack, so be sure to make use of it every round. Using assists during an opponent's BOSS mode will instead consume one of your BOSS stock counters, so be careful how you use it.

As a beginner, the only two times you should be using BOSS mode is: when your health is low and your charge meter is full/mostly full, or when your health is completely gone and time is about to run out. If you still have some health left going in to BOSS mode, a percentage of the health your BOSS has left by the end of BOSS mode will be added back to your main health, and the size of the health bar of your BOSS is relative to how full your charge meter is, so play defensively during this type of BOSS mode. When you activate BOSS mode after your health is all gone, you cannot regenerate any health, so you must play aggressively (this mode is called Final BOSS). If your opponent destroys your Final BOSS, you lose. And if your BOSS timer runs out during Final BOSS, you are left with both no health and an empty charge meter, leaving you at the mercy of any BOSS counters your opponent has in stock. The round timer pauses while BOSS mode is active.

Once the round timer starts flashing red, the health meters of both you and your opponent will slowly start to drain, until both players lose all health.

Each character has various special moves they can activate by inputting a directional command (either full-circle or left-right) plus Barrage (C). Each of these attacks consumes one unit of your charge meter. Unlike a 2D versus fighter where the directional input changes depending on what side of the screen you're on, it doesn't make a difference in this game (you can even start the full-circle command in any direction, or do up-down instead of left-right, etc). The inputs are exactly the same for all characters but the attacks themselves are different of course. These special moves vary further depending on the "cartridge" you selected on the character select screen (this is why all the characters are mirrored over in the character select screen, one side is A cartridge and the other is B cartridge). Barrage/C can also be activated by itself without any directional inputs for an additional special move, one that typically has bullet-canceling properties, but this too consumes a unit of your charge meter.

If you prefer visuals to go along with explanations:

http://www.grev.co.jp/ronde2/system1.html
http://www.grev.co.jp/ronde2/system2.html
http://www.grev.co.jp/ronde2/system3.html
http://www.grev.co.jp/ronde2/char.html

Be sure to watch the videos at the bottom of every character's page to see how each character's attacks function and their differences between cartridges.
Last edited by Cuilan on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

That was very helpful, thank you for putting the time into writing that. I'll spend a bit more time with it tonight after work.

Can you give me any general insight into what I should be doing during a match, especially if I were facing another person.

For example in street fighter a lot of the game regardless of character is pressuring with relatively safe attacks and trying to bait out unsafe attacks to punish them. In a very basic sense what is the right approach to Senko no Ronde? Last night I was pretty much just dashing in circles spamming main attack while also spamming the sub attack at random. I'm fairly certain that's not what I ought to be doing.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

ACSeraph wrote:For example in street fighter a lot of the game regardless of character is pressuring with relatively safe attacks and trying to bait out unsafe attacks to punish them. In a very basic sense what is the right approach to Senko no Ronde?
Yes, that's basically how it works here too.

Since Senko is more focused on long-range attacks, it's usually more about whittling away at the opponent's health from a distance with a combination of various attacks, and constantly repositioning with dashes. If you see that an opponent is vulnerable after a certain maneuver, that's when it's time to charge forward with a dash attack. The assist attacks come in to play here since most of them force the opponent to reposition themselves, and if the positioning within the arena is just right, you're guaranteed to score a direct hit. With practice, you'll figure out the best flow with the character you're using, the character you're up against, the opponent's style, and the right times to use your BOSS and assists.

One strategy is "melee-baiting": deliberately getting close to an opponent so that they activate melee instead of their regular attack, then quickly dashing away to safety, and then countering as soon as they whiff the melee attack. This won't work very often against skilled players though (if you watch videos of high-level play, you'll notice that both players will almost always keep their distance from each other).

One strategy I'm particularly fond of is the M+S kamikaze dash: slowly closing in distance while doing my regular series of attacks/dash attacks, then once enough distance has been closed, dash right into opponent with a dashing M+S melee. This often catches people off guard, even the more advanced players since they expect a melee-bait most of the time.