Senko no Ronde 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
nem

Senko no Ronde 2

Post by nem »

Sequel revealed in G-Rev's blog.

Arcade release in 2008.
StoofooEsq

Post by StoofooEsq »

More Sakurako, please.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Cool! I've just barely played the original though. :?
SOUNDSHOCK
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Nice. More reason to get back online with Karel.
szycag

Post by szycag »

If it's just more of the original with some tweaks I'll gladly skip. I'm good with just one Senko in my life. That would be cool though if they took out all the attacks that immobilize you for seconds at a time and balanced out the characters a lot more.
That is Galactic Dancing
sven666

Post by sven666 »

lets hope they atleast look up the word "playtesting" before they release it thistime :roll:
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

szycag wrote:That would be cool though if they took out all the attacks that immobilize you for seconds at a time and balanced out the characters a lot more.
Well, that made the first one more like a fighter, timing attacks shouldnt be a problem. there is a reason why you cant move with the most powerful special attacks. I didnt really find a problem with those, dashing immobilizes you after its done too.

I thought the characters were quite balanced, although characters like mika and changpo are easy for beginners. Lili might be hard to learn but can be really powerful, along with all of the characters.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Zaarock, remember that one time i beat you, the only time, by spamming ernula's laser attack? that was cool
That is Galactic Dancing
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

I wanna see more of Cuilan.

Badly.

I'd been wondering if they were gonna make a sequel to that at some point....

If it comes over here in some form once it's ported, I hope it's handled a bit better than Wartech was.

Normally Ubisoft isnt a bad publisher, but I dont think they did things entirely right with this one. Like how with half of the screenshots, you could NOT tell it was a shmup-ish game at all cause it was all closeups of melee-combat or stuff like that. Wasnt till I saw a bullet-filled screen in Boss mode that I realized what type of game it was.

And damn stupid reviewers like the nitwit from GameInformer did NOT help.

Im hoping they'll keep the original cast of characters, but add a few more.

I always thought just 8 wasnt quite enough, really.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

szycag wrote:Zaarock, remember that one time i beat you, the only time, by spamming ernula's laser attack? that was cool
that was my own stupidity, I kept trying to get inside the boss to barrage it and blow it up, but you kept doing the homing laser + huge laser attack as you knew what I was trying to do
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Well, this means more work for me in the future. -_-
KNTain

Post by KNTain »

How awesome would it be if this were successful enough to cause Sega to step up and make a new Virtual On?

lololol fuck. =/
StoofooEsq

Post by StoofooEsq »

Quite awesome. Not a chance in hell that it'll ever happen, though. :(

Before they would develop a new Virtual On, I'd rather see Sega remake VO: Oratorio Tangram for their Sega Ages line on PS2 the same way they did with VO: Operation Moongate. If they updated the graphics for the system and added in sufficient bonus material, I would actually be content with that alone instead of an entirely new game in the series.
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

Wow, I was so hoping for this, and I'm not entirely sure why. Aside from the fact that I like the game of course.

Also, hi Zaarock! I'm Pentell on XBL, I believe we've seen each other a bit ;) Not lately though, stupid finals haha
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Ah, glad to hear you can start playing again pentell, youre fun to fight. Ive been getting somewhat better with karel and changpo now..
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

KNTain wrote:How awesome would it be if this were successful enough to cause Sega to step up and make a new Virtual On?

lololol fuck. =/

The last time Sega DID try this ("Marz", I think it was?), gee what a surprise, they messed it up SO bad that Im under the impression that they killed it for good.

Seems to me that lately, Sega themselves cant make a good game to save their lives *cough* Sonic *cough*.

Just like how I bet Nintendo is regretting letting them develop that Olympics title...... Down at the store, that's the one Wii game we just cant sell to anyone.

I miss the days when Sonic was freaking awesome..... I'll be really glad to see him again being awesome in Brawl, though.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

-Bridget- wrote:I wanna see more of Cuilan.

Badly.
Here you go.

I really should check Majora's news more often.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Changpo keeps getting better and better.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Limbrooke wrote:Changpo keeps getting better and better.
She looks taller in her new illustration, not to mention she's much thinner. And I prefer her old outfit because the leggings looked cooler. Maybe I've been desensitized by the zettai ryouki.

Anyway, one of her B2 costumes will be available in PVC form sometime in the future. (might not be safe for work, by the way)
KNTain

Post by KNTain »

The last time Sega DID try this ("Marz", I think it was?), gee what a surprise, they messed it up SO bad that Im under the impression that they killed it for good.
Marz was less a new game and more a supremely fucked up port of Force, though. That's what most tell me, at least. Maybe Force sucks in the first place and Marz isn't that far off from the original, but it's really hard to tell with all the conflicting opinions on Force.

I'd love to see a real Force port, but the window for that is long, long gone.

Seems to me that lately, Sega themselves cant make a good game to save their lives *cough* Sonic *cough*.
Virtua Fighter 5 is the best fighting game since Third Strike, though. I think their arcade division still has some juice in 'em.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Last edited by Limbrooke on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Limbrooke wrote:
I like that new sketch since she has a bit more emotion going on, more potentially ass-kickery type look. If anything I like Changpo since most of her expressions give off emotion. Even though the old standing pose you have there is still good, there's no emotion!
Her character select portrait for the first game looks just about the same in terms of body language. Changpo looks fine to me either way, but I wish they were a little bit more creative with her new A-1 costume instead of sticking to the tried-and-true otaku fare (ie- skirt and stockings).

Also, her A2 cut-in costume still beats the new one any day in terms of intimidation:

You're really screwed now! She just went into Final B.O.S.S. mode.
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

dai jou bu wrote:
-Bridget- wrote:I wanna see more of Cuilan.

Badly.
Here you go.

I really should check Majora's news more often.

Omigod

Thank you, G-Rev, for making more of this series........

And thanks, Dai jou bu, for that link, I'll be holding onto THAT pic......
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Well I missed out on posting in this thread earlier, and somehow I never posted in the Senko thread either, even though this was easily my favorite game of 2007. BTW I am Myrmidon0 on Live.

My list of personal concerns for Senko 2:

1) Being able to play it when it is ported. 360 is the only next gen I own (I bought it for Senko, lol), but due to G.rev experience and 360 being the "hardcore" market where Shikigami 3 on 360 can sell over 3x on the Wii, I'm not too worried about that one. I am really worried about US localization though. Did somebody say that Asia 360 releases are region free? I guess we could just import.
2) The character balance is honestly not nearly as bad as people say, but like all fighting games this is priority #1, and more experience is always better.
3) Yack better be doing the music again. Senko is one of my favorite OSTs ever. I'm not worried here either but this better happen.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Enhasa wrote: Did somebody say that Asia 360 releases are region free? I guess we could just import.
2) The character balance is honestly not nearly as bad as people say, but like all fighting games this is priority #1, and more experience is always better.
3) Yack better be doing the music again. Senko is one of my favorite OSTs ever. I'm not worried here either but this better happen.
1) The region-locking is dependent on the publisher's whims. Ubisoft decided to make Wartech (just typing this makes me cringe) region-free. Also, Senko no Ronde is really the only game I play consistently on the 360 nowadays too.

2) Changpo A is top-tier, but she still feels klunky to me, and she's supposed to be my main!

3) Yack's going to stick with this game, since former Taito employees stay together. It's either that or he makes music for more eroge.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Dual audio for voices plz, kthx bye
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

A review of Senkou no Ronde OST vol. 2: Carpe Diem.

This soundtrack proves once more that mr. Yack is in a state of grace. Like the first chapter, it blends a plethora into an elegant mix of jazz, fusion and electronic music, creating a unique, vibrating sound. I am going to review the songs by their order, just in case.

"Last stand" and "Link" is a mix of world music and electronic vibes, catchy dancing tunes. "Calm" is a slow, minimalist electronic beat, while "Limitless Cinderella" is a vibrant dancy song with an elegant use of winds and chores, extremely atmospheric. "Imitation blue" is a early 90's jazzy pop melody,

"Darkrabbit faire" an hypnotic minimalist exercise. Its looping drums are then followed by the more oriental and fast pace of "Judg. Act 1. -Eve", faster electronic song, with "My delightful spec." as a sudden fusion/pop break. "That guy's name is Kannei Edosan" is a brilliant mix of Ska, electronic rythms and minimalist pace, to be "sublimed" in the harp motive of "end sketch 1", your typical end motive.

Sad atmospheres enter again with the slow pop of "Stolen soul", followed again by the elegant fusion crescendo of "Fresh of Dorothy" and the short motive of "Giovanni", also an elegant fusion exercise. The world music tones come back, blended with a quick dancing pace, in "Another warrior".

Time for "end sketch 2" and "portrait", short old style jazz songs, while "The thing that was bad? The mouth? What?" is a nice electronica spoof. "Shine" is a slow, melodic song quickly followed by "Bloody eclipse", a fast electronic/progressive song, evolving into a blend of world/electronic/dance music at the end of the theme.

"You and I" is a traditional rock ballad, while "Feldhern" is an orchestral theme with a short playful dance intermezzo. "Carpe Diem" is a re-elaboration of the original Senkou theme, a mix of piano, minimalist themes and "Judgement - Act. 2" is a slow piano coda, to sum up the work.

Overall, it is another excellent work by Yack, in which he mixes a lot of genres and ideas into an elegant mix, creating the feeling of wonder and joy typical of the first Senkou. Highly suggested, since it is also relatively cheap and comes with a beatiful booklet.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Hmm, that's odd. The soundtrack was released in March 2007? I can't believe I missed that, or that nobody posted anything about the sequel back then!?

I'm listening to the music right now, and so far I think it's good. It has the same melodic 1990's-ethno-techno vibe that the first game had. Feels less of a rehash than I'd expect though - with a nice, crisp sound image that sounds fresh and new and quite a few surprises and neat tricks along. It's good, but since Border Down and SnR1 were such huge leaps from his previous works, I can't help feeling a bit disappointed this time, it's simply not as exciting. Quality stuff nonetheless, not like some of his non-G.Rev-freelance work.
SOUNDSHOCK
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

dai jou bu wrote:1) The region-locking is dependent on the publisher's whims. Ubisoft decided to make Wartech (just typing this makes me cringe) region-free. Also, Senko no Ronde is really the only game I play consistently on the 360 nowadays too.

2) Changpo A is top-tier, but she still feels klunky to me, and she's supposed to be my main!

3) Yack's going to stick with this game, since former Taito employees stay together. It's either that or he makes music for more eroge.
1) I found a semi-decent region compatbility list at play-asia. It has a terrible interface so it's best to skip around using URL manipulation tricks.

2) One aspect that maybe impresses me the most about Senko is how you can tell when you are slowly improving, but also how it always feels like there is still lots of room left for further improvement. I feel like I'm terrible with everyone! Only some characters slightly less terrible than others.

3) Under Defeat was composed by Hosoe though. So this makes 2/3 Zuntata so far. I have no idea about Mamonoro actually, and I'm too lazy to find out.

zinger, vol1 was the OST for the original arcade release. vol2 was for the extra songs that Yack created specifically for the 360 port. I love them both, and for completeness you need both, but I do think vol2 is even better. (Does it change your opinion if you know that you are listening to more Senko 1 music and as such, you should not expect a "huge leap"? :P)

Here is my opinion on vol2:

Top 5 favorite videogame OST of all time for me. Due to the nature of gaming (best OST != videogame with the best music) and Senko in particular, I still like Darius Gaiden's soundtrack more (i.e., while actually playing). But Senko vol2 is my top shmup OST, which says a lot since there are a lot of great ones. It holds up really well the more you listen to it, actually.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Oh this could be helpful. If you've played Senko and wonder why you don't recall many of the vol2 songs, it is likely because you are selecting your character with the A button each time. Otherwise you would only hear each track in one specific instance in the game (say, playing Ernula vs Cuilan in story mode, or perhaps a character-specific A ending).

This correspond with each character's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd music. Earth is Mika, Fleet Dock is Karel, Colony is Changpo, Moon City is Ernula, Jupiter is Lili, Fleet Battle is Sakurako, Moon Tower is Fabian, and Station is Cuilan.

Code: Select all

Earth           A       Assemble
Earth           Y       Charge
Earth           LB      Limitless Cinderella
Fleet Dock      A       Find the Way
Fleet Dock      Y       Brave Heart
Fleet Dock      LB      Judgement -Act I-
Colony          A       North Star
Colony          Y       Crossshine
Colony          LB      My Delightful Spec
Moon City       A       Sentimental Journey
Moon City       Y       Wanted "True Pasta"
Moon City       LB      A N E K (His Name is Kannei Edosan)
Jupiter         A       Little Witch
Jupiter         Y       Idaflieg
Jupiter         LB      Feldherrn
Fleet Battle    A       Remember First Rendez-vous
Fleet Battle    Y       Grey Lips	
Fleet Battle    LB      Imitation Blue
Moon Tower      A       Inner Fire
Moon Tower      Y       Vision of Boys
Moon Tower      LB      You and I
Station         A       Lucky Charm
Station         Y       Tuki no Ronde
Station         LB      Fresh of Dorothy