Raiden Fighters Compilation heading to the Xbox 360

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bcass

Re: Raiden Fighters Compilation heading to the Xbox 360

Post by bcass »

Posts on their official forums suggested they region-locked the US release because they wanted a European publisher to publish in Europe. Whether or not they find one is another matter..
Defcon 5

Post by Defcon 5 »

Can someone tell me why the japanese Game is about 50$ and the US Game about 15 or 20$ ?
Check out my Shooter Videos
antares

Post by antares »

Defcon 5 wrote:Can someone tell me why the japanese Game is about 50$ and the US Game about 15 or 20$ ?
Maybe because the minimum first print of a 360 game is 50,000 in the US (that's a demand from MS) opposed to 7,000 in Japan. If they would try to sell it for 50 there's no way that they could sell 50,000 copies.
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB
BIL

Post by BIL »

Quick question about the US version of RFA: provided I set difficulty to "Arcade," is each game's difficulty identical to Japanese RFA and the Japan region arcade games? Looked around elsewhere and couldn't seem to find confirmation or denial of this.
Doctor Fugue

Post by Doctor Fugue »

According to Twiddle's Raiden Fighters Jet guide, the Xbox 360 port is identical to the Japanese region arcade settings.

Also, I asked about the rank and difficulty levels of the US version of RFA during STGT 09 and zakk replied that both the Japanese and US versions of Raiden Fighters Aces are identical; people were allowed to submit scores from either version provided it was set to Arcade difficulty.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent, thanks! Just got my copy the other day, finally.
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

i suppose this is a huge longshot, but ill ask anyways.

is there anyone out there who has the Japanese version of RFA (and some means of capturing video) that is willing to upload a copy of RF1's top Score Attack run?

or if anyone knows of anywhere i can find some replays on the web (unlikely i suppose). not only am i curious to see the run in general, but im curious if im missing something besides just doing good bullet scratch run.

anyone know anything about the Score Attack modes in RFA? are these exclusive to this collection, or were they somehow on the original PCB's or something?

im still playing this lovely collection of games. this series is easily one of my favorite shmup ever.

if someone could help out with that, i would be forever grateful.
KisakiProject

Post by KisakiProject »

antares wrote:
Defcon 5 wrote:Can someone tell me why the japanese Game is about 50$ and the US Game about 15 or 20$ ?
Maybe because the minimum first print of a 360 game is 50,000 in the US (that's a demand from MS) opposed to 7,000 in Japan. If they would try to sell it for 50 there's no way that they could sell 50,000 copies.

Is 50,000 really true for the US? I can think of tons of games that didn't sell close to that but I don't see them sitting on shelves anywhere.

Unrelatedly this is a great game. I played it a ton more than R4.

Any word form valcom on whether or not they are gonna bring more shmups over. I know RFA was a "testing of the waters" for them.
Diebythesword

Post by Diebythesword »

I tried every single ship in all 3 and secrets including every Slave ship and no All Rounder Achievement, whats the dillio?
nash87

Post by nash87 »

Anyone still playing this?

I took up RF2 a few weeks ago, again, and started taking over the leaderboards 8) also a few hours away from the last achievement i need.

The 2nd place run on RF1 is by far the most badass replay I've seen in a while. Thumbs up man if you're on this site
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Picking this up this afternoon after work. Saw a copy yesterday in a bin and it lingers in my mind... You could do a lot worse for 15$, or so I'm told.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I've been playing RFJ, as well as RFJ score attack.

Got to stage 6 of RF2 on a no-medal run and yeah, you can see what happens when 54 FPS gameplay meets a 60 Hz screen. (Why was the RF series 54 FPS to begin with?)
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

KindGrind wrote:Picking this up this afternoon after work. Saw a copy yesterday in a bin and it lingers in my mind... You could do a lot worse for 15$, or so I'm told.

Lol- you could do worse? It's one of the best games on the system :)
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Domino

Post by Domino »

I'm considering getting a J360 just for this, Raiden IV, and Shooting Love. Cave games, nah. I need my fast bullet fix.
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

Domino wrote:I'm considering getting a J360 just for this, Raiden IV, and Shooting Love. Cave games, nah. I need my fast bullet fix.
Are you not in the US? Excluding shooting love the others are available stateside.
Domino

Post by Domino »

agustusx wrote:
Domino wrote:I'm considering getting a J360 just for this, Raiden IV, and Shooting Love. Cave games, nah. I need my fast bullet fix.
Are you not in the US? Excluding shooting love the others are available stateside.
That's true but not all STGs for the 360 willl come out in the US.
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

Domino wrote:
agustusx wrote:
That's true but not all STGs for the 360 willl come out in the US.
Your original post didn't indicate any interest in other shooters, that's why I asked. If you aren't interested in any of the other existing 360 games the US system would get you more for less. RIV and RFA can be aquired for $50 total and a US system for $200. These games can still go for $60+ for the J releases, plus the additional cost for the J hardware, which is typically more than $200 and then you pay shipping in addition.

I do have a J system, so it's not a bad investment. Just happens RIV and RFA are the only shmups I own on my US system.
HamidoOs

Post by HamidoOs »

A question about autofire...

It seems that the original arcade version had 2 buttons only. (or did it have 3 buttons?)
But the 360 port has autofire button for all 3 games.
Do you RF players use the autofire? I mean, it will make the game much easier, but is that "legit"? :?
---------------
Dead inside.
---------------
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

I think almost everyone here use autofire. Playing RFJ without is a true pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c534ELeGpWM
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
nash87

Post by nash87 »

HamidoOs wrote:A question about autofire...

It seems that the original arcade version had 2 buttons only. (or did it have 3 buttons?)
But the 360 port has autofire button for all 3 games.
Do you RF players use the autofire? I mean, it will make the game much easier, but is that "legit"? :?
there was 2 buttons, shot and bomb. as for RFA I use both auto fire and regular shot. You can't charge with auto fire (obviously) and shot yields a lot more precision when comes down to tricky scoring tactics such as tanks that have a fairy in them.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Dragoforce wrote:I think almost everyone here use autofire. Playing RFJ without is a true pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c534ELeGpWM
I played the PCB -- 2 button setup and achieved an 83 million score... later I came back with autofire, though, and reached 100mil. It's not that bad considering each tap shoots bullets for about a full second, so you can just use a steady pace for mashing.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
nash87

Post by nash87 »

WTF!!! so it turns out leaderboard scores get erased once they turn a year old! start saving your replays guys. now i have to start playing this again to get all my spots back :roll:
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Is there a way to set the scanline option so they look correct on a horizontal 16:9 screen? On mine, the x2 scanline settings look fine in vertical mode, but if I set the screen to horizontal, it comes out really weird looking, like with lines every other space or something. None of the scanline settings seem to fix this :cry:
roker

Post by roker »

how come I can't get medals higher than 10,000 on RF1?

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but it's driving me crazy!

I kind of wish medal collecting was done in the same fashion as it's done in Raizing games. It'd make it a whole lot easier to manage.
"something witty."
by someone witty
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

At 10000, I think you need a crapload of medals to be on the screen at once so they all explode. You pretty much need to know where a miclus is to pull that off.
roker

Post by roker »

DJ Incompetent wrote:At 10000, I think you need a crapload of medals to be on the screen at once so they all explode. You pretty much need to know where a miclus is to pull that off.
I know it's only 20 bucks and all, but when you need to uncover secrets to score, then I'd call that a somewhat flawed scoring system.
"something witty."
by someone witty
nash87

Post by nash87 »

roker wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:At 10000, I think you need a crapload of medals to be on the screen at once so they all explode. You pretty much need to know where a miclus is to pull that off.
I know it's only 20 bucks and all, but when you need to uncover secrets to score, then I'd call that a somewhat flawed scoring system.
get 10 10,000 medals on the screen at once then they explode, then every time you collect all the medals on the screen (best way is to uncover a single medal, grab it, uncover another, repeat) and they will cap out a 100k

just watch the number 1 score on the leaderboards on the normal difficulty. if you can't understand by then...well...you're 20buks then if that's all this brilliant trilogy is to you then.

this game has one of the most solid scoring systems there is. grab medals, kill things before they shoot, graze bullets. the flaw isn't the game bro
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

well if it isnt my favorite topic back on the front page.
nash87 wrote:WTF!!! so it turns out leaderboard scores get erased once they turn a year old! start saving your replays guys. now i have to start playing this again to get all my spots back :roll:
fuck me! seriously?

time to go check. oh GOD i remember most of my scores were from june i think... i wanted to downlod some other folks' runs too.

goddammit! wish i had know about this earlier (all my fault)
nash87 wrote:
this game has one of the most solid scoring systems there is. grab medals, kill things before they shoot, graze bullets. the flaw isn't the game bro
correct.
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

sorry for the DP, but maybe important news to some.

according to posters on Neogaf this game is available On Demand for xbox live and it is also finally getting a budget release in the UK soon!

great news. buy this game!
roker

Post by roker »

nash87 wrote:this game has one of the most solid scoring systems there is. grab medals, kill things before they shoot, graze bullets. the flaw isn't the game bro
I like how you're inferring that I'm flawed. I respect your passion, but why should I spend my time looking at guide trying to figure out where all those pesky miclus's are? How often am I going to get ten 10,000 medals on the screen without finding a miclus?

I just want to pick up the controller, blow shit up and try to make it to the end. I look at vids and stuff when I want higher scores or better strategies not to do a song and dance to make "secret" scoring aides appear. You have to admit, this game is bit too stringent with it's scoring system compared to most shmups.
"something witty."
by someone witty