Raiden Fighters Compilation heading to the Xbox 360

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Daigoro

Re: Raiden Fighters Compilation heading to the Xbox 360

Post by Daigoro »

roker wrote:
nash87 wrote:this game has one of the most solid scoring systems there is. grab medals, kill things before they shoot, graze bullets. the flaw isn't the game bro
I like how you're inferring that I'm flawed. I respect your passion, but why should I spend my time looking at guide trying to figure out where all those pesky miclus's are? How often am I going to get ten 10,000 medals on the screen without finding a miclus?

I just want to pick up the controller, blow shit up and try to make it to the end. I look at vids and stuff when I want higher scores or better strategies not to do a song and dance to make "secret" scoring aides appear. You have to admit, this game is bit too stringent with it's scoring system compared to most shmups.
gotta disagree with that sentiment. i find these games some of the easiest to grasp the scoring concept on. not really hard to memorize the miclus locations really. not any harder than memorizing where enemies appear from or where to be to avoid bullet spam in most shmups.

to me the scoring mechanics certainly arent nearly as confusing or difficult as most Cave games are to grasp for instance. i personally really enjoy the way scoring is handled in the Raiden Fighter series.
nash87

Post by nash87 »

roker wrote:
nash87 wrote:this game has one of the most solid scoring systems there is. grab medals, kill things before they shoot, graze bullets. the flaw isn't the game bro
I like how you're inferring that I'm flawed. I respect your passion, but why should I spend my time looking at guide trying to figure out where all those pesky miclus's are? How often am I going to get ten 10,000 medals on the screen without finding a miclus?

I just want to pick up the controller, blow shit up and try to make it to the end. I look at vids and stuff when I want higher scores or better strategies not to do a song and dance to make "secret" scoring aides appear. You have to admit, this game is bit too stringent with it's scoring system compared to most shmups.
I actually LOLed hard from this. the only thing stringent is the hit box when you're trying to graze with certain ships. yes there are "secrets" but they're not secrets once you know where they are. and to trigger the majority of them you just hover over a certain spot for a second. the scoring is easy unless you want to make it hard by grazing, that's where the song and dance comes in. if you're not grazing then all you really need to is just shoot stuff before they shoot and grab every medal you see. upgrading the medals will only take about a stage and a half, a few repetitions and you shouldn't have an issue. after they're upgraded, there's not much too the game except for a few micluses (if that's a word) which is only a few more things you need to remember. there's no strict memorizing or certain paths you have to take to avoid getting shot down. there's no penalty for bombing or dieing either (except tech points in RFJ). it's a very lenient beginner friendly game.

try playing mushihimesama, or DOJ. you die, your score is history! you bomb, your score is history! you miss judged the enemy spawn location by a few pixels, your combo is gone and score decimated. where as in RFA if you die, no big deal unless you do it 2 more times. if you bomb, you probably just got a couple quick shots or cheesed a boss.

I can't think of any shmup, or shmup series that's less stringent except for pussy ass touhou.

but, all of this is just my opinion
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I've been playing this quite a bit recently but didn't want to resurrect this thread. Now that it's current, however...

This really is the port that all others should be judged by. I never really noticed it until I sat back down and started playing with the practice mode and random options. Granted, I never had to deal with the game pre-patch as I'm playing the US version...

Concerning how stringent the scoring system is: Like most modern shmups you have to pull off backflips to get the highest of scores. That being said, it takes nowhere near the effort of similar shooters to get a simply decent score. Hell, I'm sitting at ~75 million without memorizing anything past Lvl. 5. At least the RF series is explicit in saying that scoring is optional. Want to rack up huge scores? Awesome. You're not getting any extra ships out of it. Want to blow everything to hell? That's ok, too. Finally, and this is important, you really only have to go out of your way with arcane scoring techniques in the first (max two) stage. The rest of the game is simply knowing how to blow shit up.

Also, bombs are thrown at you like ads for hookers in Vegas.
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

i feel the need to repost this for the new page:

this game is out on Games on Demand in the US now

and scheduled for budget release in the UK soon.

buy it.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

Daigoro wrote:i feel the need to repost this for the new page:

buy it.
release date is 20 August right? fuck yeah great news
roker

Post by roker »

nash87 wrote:I actually LOLed hard from this.
really?

gay.

but anyway, I don't care how many paragraphs you guys write, I'm more at home playing Mushi, ESPGaluda, Battle Garegga, etc.

agree to disagree.

end.
"something witty."
by someone witty
Square King

Post by Square King »

I think you're more likely to get 10 10k medals than you are to find a miclus. And really, they aren't necessary unless you're gunning for a WR score, in my experience (granted, I suck). Outside of trial/error miclus hunting, the RF titles have the most solid and accessible scoring mechanic around.

I don't know why I'm posting. Damocles is spot on.
Slump

Post by Slump »

Daigoro wrote:i feel the need to repost this for the new page:

buy it.

Thanks for mentioning this. Purchased and downloading now! It was 19.99 USD for me so it may be cheaper to buy the actual thing somewhere else (not sure), but since my 360's disc drive has been on the fritz for about a year now this is a great solution!
roker

Post by roker »

Slump wrote:Thanks for mentioning this. Purchased and downloading now! It was 19.99 USD for me so it may be cheaper to buy the actual thing somewhere else (not sure), but since my 360's disc drive has been on the fritz for about a year now this is a great solution!
I got mine on ebay for like 13 bucks shipped

but yeah, 20 bucks on the marketplace is a good idea. It takes about 1/2 a gig when I installed it to my hard drive so I imagine it might be even smaller if they optimized it.
"something witty."
by someone witty
Slump

Post by Slump »

roker wrote:
Slump wrote:Thanks for mentioning this. Purchased and downloading now! It was 19.99 USD for me so it may be cheaper to buy the actual thing somewhere else (not sure), but since my 360's disc drive has been on the fritz for about a year now this is a great solution!
I got mine on ebay for like 13 bucks shipped

but yeah, 20 bucks on the marketplace is a good idea. It takes about 1/2 a gig when I installed it to my hard drive so I imagine it might be even smaller if they optimized it.
Yeah the download is 486MB so I'm guessing it will be the same as when you installed it. I don't play my 360 much anyway (aforementioned drive troubles) so I can afford the space.
Dazzyman

Post by Dazzyman »

Out of all the shmups I own on the JPN 360 and just getting into them properly since health issues this has to be my fav (and I own pretty much all of them). The scoring system clicked and I feel nothing as good as getting the perfect amount for medals by end of level 2. They look so easy at first for just 1cc to survive (not that I've managed that yet) but throw in the medal system it's on another level. That and it's relaxing compared to the manic shmups I normally play. This and Ketsui are my top 2 now. They just need to get a Pal release so I can rebuy it like latest Do Don Pachi hehe :)
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Finally got a J360 and am snatching up all the shmups for the system that I can. The Raiden Fighters games have always held a special place in my heart. I'd visit my then GF (now my wife) at her Uni and would always play the first one in the arcade there. This and Strickers 2 was one of the main reasons that I decided to attend that particularUni (it was also the best school that accepted me). I remember well the day that these games were seen as a forbidden fruit because of how long it took to get emulated.

The JPN version of this was a real bitch to get ahold of. Even on Yahoo Auctions there were only one or two copies up at a time that would for 8,000 yen or more. It really blows that it got taken off of Games on Demand (hooray for digital distribution!! :roll: ) so spending 7,500 on this game, when I got lucky and found it at Trader was my only option. Even though it's pricey I am VERY happy with this disc. Even in 720p it looks great with X3 resolution and X3 fake scanlines. I looked all through this thread bu I'm wondering if there was a discussion on all of the different display options, maybe in the hardware section... If anyone know please, point me in the right direction.

All in all, this disc is an amazing release and is probably better then half of the Cave Boxset combined. These are the moments when it feels good to be a shmup player. One of the best purchases I've made in a long time.
bcass

Post by bcass »

When/why was it removed from Games on Demand?
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

It's def not on JPN games on demand. I have no idea why, Raiden 4 is still up tho. I've also read a blog post talking about how it was removed and that the game (in Japan) is just going to get more and more rare now, and how that's too bad. I'll try to find it again, it might take me a bit...

Edit: Found it! http://jyuuzaxbox360.blog27.fc2.com/blo ... -1255.html It basically says that he contacted the company to ask if they were still selling the game on Games on Demand and they replied that they are no longer selling it and they are very sorry that they took it down without any notice before hand. No reason is given tho. The writer then goes on to lament the super high prices that the game is going for now in Japan, over 10,000 yen for a new copy, etc.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Weird. Glad I got my download copy when I did. I can't remember if I bought it off the JPN or Asian Marketplace, but it seems to have been removed from both now.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

scrilla4rella wrote:It's def not on JPN games on demand. I have no idea why, Raiden 4 is still up tho. I've also read a blog post talking about how it was removed and that the game (in Japan) is just going to get more and more rare now, and how that's too bad. I'll try to find it again, it might take me a bit...

Edit: Found it! http://jyuuzaxbox360.blog27.fc2.com/blo ... -1255.html It basically says that he contacted the company to ask if they were still selling the game on Games on Demand and they replied that they are no longer selling it and they are very sorry that they took it down without any notice before hand. No reason is given tho. The writer then goes on to lament the super high prices that the game is going for now in Japan, over 10,000 yen for a new copy, etc.
You think 10k yen is expensive? Check out eBay's prices.

And I only have a Japanese console, can't play the cheaper US version at all. :(
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I paid 9k yen for my copy... worth it :)
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

RaidenViper wrote:I paid 9k yen for my copy... worth it :)
I have to grab a copy soon, before they are all gone.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Yeah, totally worth it! Even the NA version is going up in value
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Huh, didn't know it had been removed from GoD in every marketplace. Guess I should definitely hang on to my physical JP copy for at least a few more years. This kind of sucks though, and not only for those who are in the market for it, but for me as well since now I'll be more wary of touching the game due to its increasing value. RFJ is pretty much the main reason I still play it at all though.
:lol:
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

Sorry, I just found this thread.

Does this mean that a Pal release of Raiden Fighter Aces is DEFINATELY coming out? This year? In reality?

Its just Ive aeen so much cpntradictory posts in the past and I really do want to know if this is true...

Ant
Jp-chipped PS1 - PAL PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - PAL DC - Region-free DC - PS4 - PS3 Slim - PS TV - OSSC - Pi-3
Handhelds: 3DS-XL - DS-Lite - DSi XL - PSP 3003 - PS Vita
I want to eject...
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Spyke wrote:Sorry, I just found this thread.

Does this mean that a Pal release of Raiden Fighter Aces is DEFINATELY coming out? This year? In reality?

Its just Ive aeen so much cpntradictory posts in the past and I really do want to know if this is true...

Ant
I dont think the PAL version will ever come out. theres too much going on with that release that it's be kinda odd for it to finally hit the stores.

i'll stick to my NTSC-U copy for the time being...
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

So basically I need to buy a Jp console and ntsc-j copy, or ntsc console and copy.

D'oh...
Jp-chipped PS1 - PAL PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - PAL DC - Region-free DC - PS4 - PS3 Slim - PS TV - OSSC - Pi-3
I want to eject...
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

The PAL release of RFA is like the yeti/bigfoot/jackalope/skunkape/lochness monster/et al of the shmups community.
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

Cuilan wrote:The PAL release of RFA is like the yeti/bigfoot/jackalope/skunkape/lochness monster/et al of the shmups community.
What? You mean someone has out-of-focus poorly lit pictures taken from a great distance that could be mistaken for tree stumps or old tyres?!?

Ooooooo
I want to eject...
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Spyke wrote: What? You mean someone has out-of-focus poorly lit pictures taken from a great distance that could be mistaken for tree stumps or old tyres?!?

Ooooooo
I once saw a small, blurry photo of what appeared to be the actual PAL release of RFA. You could almost make out the PEGI rating on the cover, but the photo was most likely doctored.I know a crazy guy on the internet who swears up & down that he saw the actual game with his own eyes, and even held it.
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that RFA PAL was real.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Cuilan wrote:Huh, didn't know it had been removed from GoD in every marketplace. Guess I should definitely hang on to my physical JP copy for at least a few more years. This kind of sucks though, and not only for those who are in the market for it, but for me as well since now I'll be more wary of touching the game due to its increasing value. RFJ is pretty much the main reason I still play it at all though.
It looks like it's still on the US Marketplace. I downloaded it a year or so ago. I prefer physical releases, but the price is reasonable and the price for a new one went up.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Spyke wrote:So basically I need to buy a Jp console and ntsc-j copy, or ntsc console and copy.
The price of the NTSC-J copies seem to be steadily rising to the ridiculous ("The Onslaught Raiden Fighters Special Edition" superplay DVD if it is included may be a contributing factor) and who knows when that will reverse. So if you're possibly considering acquiring a "special" console anytime in the future but still would like a physical copy snatch a NTSC-U one at a reasonable price.

In the meantime playing Δzeal on your PAL Xbox 360 isn't too shabby (granted, the RFA package is slicker and the three games more thoroughly frantic).
BrianC wrote:It looks like it's still on the US Marketplace.
Actually Valcon Games has gone very quiet since mid-2011. There only has been one Android/iOS game in January from them since then. So the days of RFA on the US marketplace may also be waning.
BrianC wrote:I prefer physical releases, but the price is reasonable and the price for a new one went up.

I picked up mine probably 12 months after release at Walmart for $10.00 (really having no idea what it was at the time). In summer 2012 the local grocery store had three copies in the bargain bin for $7.50 each. Great bargain ... but seeing that was somewhat "heartbreaking".
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I recently thought about this and remembered it was cheap locally for a time in EB Games, the US release. Maybe I stopped seeing it after 2013 or thereabouts. Nonetheless, the used market is around $60 and up which isn't terrible although it was very cheap to start. I never had a 360 (well, not for long anyway) and a friend of mine had an NTSC-J unit meaning no bueno for the NTSC-U/C release.

Not to just wax about the old days but I figured to ask - you cannot access the looping versions or ability in RFA, correct? That was my understanding.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'