Don't hate on easy shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

axelay

It's like playing Salamander with a LIFEBAR

WOAH

YES

AWESOME

And you actually have to liek, figure out things woah.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Forgotten Worlds on the Genesis
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

The Coop wrote:Speaking of 1CCing, I finally broke my stage 5 curse on the Genesis game Raiden Trad. I've always gotten there with little trouble, but that stage would kick my ass, leaving me with bottom level power to fight the boss. But I finally got through the game on 1 credit, had several lives in reserve for the bonus stage, and broke my 8 year old high score for the game.

'Twas a happy moment :D
I've reached level 6 on my FIRST try of the game. Hah, you suck! :D

It's one of the coolest memories I have from playing shmups.

A friend of mine and his cousin had been playing the game for 2 weeks straight (This was like... ohh, 10 years ago, maybe more). I got to his house, saw the game and begun playing it. Then he and his cousin were giving me lots of tips while playing (Like, "you should drob a bomb here", 'Get the laser now, it will be useful" , "If you just stay at the left here, then move right you are going to dodge the bullets", stuff like that). When I reached 5th boss, they said "We can't beat that fucker for 2 weeks now"... and then I managed to do it, and they saw level 6 for the first time. They were like "WOAAAH!!! What the hell?"

The funniest thing I remember was his cousin calling me Luke Skywalker everytime I had to adlib dodge some of the bullets.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Shatterhand wrote:
The Coop wrote:Speaking of 1CCing, I finally broke my stage 5 curse on the Genesis game Raiden Trad. I've always gotten there with little trouble, but that stage would kick my ass, leaving me with bottom level power to fight the boss. But I finally got through the game on 1 credit, had several lives in reserve for the bonus stage, and broke my 8 year old high score for the game.

'Twas a happy moment :D
I've reached level 6 on my FIRST try of the game. Hah, you suck! :D

It's one of the coolest memories I have from playing shmups.

A friend of mine and his cousin had been playing the game for 2 weeks straight (This was like... ohh, 10 years ago, maybe more). I got to his house, saw the game and begun playing it. Then he and his cousin were giving me lots of tips while playing (Like, "you should drob a bomb here", 'Get the laser now, it will be useful" , "If you just stay at the left here, then move right you are going to dodge the bullets", stuff like that). When I reached 5th boss, they said "We can't beat that fucker for 2 weeks now"... and then I managed to do it, and they saw level 6 for the first time. They were like "WOAAAH!!! What the hell?"

The funniest thing I remember was his cousin calling me Luke Skywalker everytime I had to adlib dodge some of the bullets.
Shatterhand, Shatterhand... now where did I say I never got by it, hmmm? :P

I've always been blown up on that stage, either by the boss, or those train track gunners, or sniped by a tank that popped in. When I'd leave stage 5, I was bottom level power, and usually had only one (maybe two sometimes) bombs left. Then it was a crap shoot as to which level I'd get to (usually 7 or 8 ) before loosing my last ship.

That particular play through, was the opposite. I left Stage 5 with full weapons, and five bombs left. I blew through Stages 6-8, and kicked some righteous booty... thus, breaking that long standing curse.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Ok, ok, you're right, I should read properly before replying like that...

But I doubt you've reached it on your FIRST PLAY, you still suck! :D

Dying late on the game is really punishing, but it's possible to recover, unlike some other games from the same era :)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Playing the SNES version of Raiden Trad I'm glad I never was treated to it.

Though I don't think Virtual Bart was much of an improvement.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Twiddle wrote:Playing the SNES version of Raiden Trad...
Now that's some punishment right there :lol:
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

The Coop wrote:
Twiddle wrote:Playing the SNES version of Raiden Trad...
Now that's some punishment right there :lol:
I remember I thought I was so awesome when I 1CC'ed that game in high school. Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts was much harder though.

I thought Raiden Trad would help me practice for my favorite arcade game at the time (Raiden II), but, Trad is much too easy.
SWY: Games are just for fun
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Har dto say what constitutes "easy" for sure.

If a game does NOT provide unlimited credits, then if you can beat it in a day without running out of said credits, it's easy.

If it does, and is without checkpoints, you have to 1cc the game for it to count as easy.

Most games with checkpoints are not easy.

I consider Perfect CHerry Blossom easy, because of the slow bullet speed. At least the version i'm able to play (that has the last 2 levels missing) i was able to SLC it in one day. It IS awesome though. it's bullet patterns are very much an art form.

I wouldn't call the Thunder Force games easy, although i DID beat 3 and 4 in one credit after practice. 2 Is a DOOZY, though! I haven't put in enough time on 5. I found it rather fun, though.

I agree with Battle Bakraid being easy, at least on normal mode. It is very much doable with some practice, and doesn't puish you for playing for survival the same way Garegga does.

Anoter game that is often considered easy is G Darius, especially the psx version, because of the slowdown. Back in the day, i'd probably have it 1CCed by now, but I just don't got the skillz i used to. I also cleared the first loop of NES Gyruss, and reached earth on the c64 version (a near perfect clone of the arcade). Honestly, the bosses are the only real challenge in nes Gyruss once you get the hang of it.

But perhaps the best "easy but awesome" game ever made is not a shmup. It is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Rob

Post by Rob »

zaphod wrote:2 Is a DOOZY, though!
You get bunches of points -> extends for finishing the overhead levels quickly. The last stage can be beaten easily by suiciding 6 times.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

zaphod wrote:If a game does NOT provide unlimited credits, then if you can beat it in a day without running out of said credits, it's easy.
wtf u use more than 1 credit?
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

shoe-sama wrote:
zaphod wrote:If a game does NOT provide unlimited credits, then if you can beat it in a day without running out of said credits, it's easy.
…there are some people who are use more than one credit, or even 2cc, and then slam a game for being "easy" and lame :lol:
marco75

Post by marco75 »

My list:

Zanac (NES)
Zanac x Zanac (PS1)
Viper Phase 1
Twin Cobra 2
Turbo Force
Air Duel
Truxton 2
Hellfire (Genesis/Megadrive)
Kaiser wrote:Raiden 2 (It's much easier than horrible 1)
Raiden II is hard as a boner.[/quote]

I beg to disagree. The PC version of Raiden 2 has adjustable difficulty, so you can make it as easy or difficult as you like. And it is an excellent port. You can even use a music CD of your choice! The same goes for Raiden Project and Raiden DX for PS1, very fair and not hardcore.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

zaphod wrote:I consider Perfect CHerry Blossom easy, because of the slow bullet speed. At least the version i'm able to play (that has the last 2 levels missing) i was able to SLC it in one day.
Two things.

1: The last two levels are A LOT harder than the first four. By a fairly large margin. Though, on normal mode PCB is still like my... 3rd easiest 1cc ever or so.

2: It's not easy because of the slow bullet speed so much as it is easy because of the copious amounts of extra lives you're given. I think the first time I cleared the game I did so with ELEVEN deaths. Count 'em. 11. The very next run I cleared it with 4 deaths. After that I cleared the Extra Stage, and haven't touched the game since.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

I abused borders and bombs lulz
jp

Post by jp »

Sonic R wrote:
shoe-sama wrote:
…there are some people who are use more than one credit, or even 2cc, and then slam a game for being "easy" and lame :lol:
I played Super Mario Bros. today at work and I beat it on 1 credit. It had been years since I had played it, so upon beating it I declared it too easy and throw the catridge out of the store since it now sucked.

Back on topic:
Nexzr was really easy, but it was also an amazing game. :D

I imagine a lot of PC-Engine games would fall under the "really easy but totally awesome" file.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Undeadline

*crickets*

Oh you knew it was coming...
Gorecki

Post by Gorecki »

[quote="Damocles"]Undeadline[quote]

Begone from this thread, foul beast of a game!

Battle Bakraid is the easiest shmup ever made, as I somehow managed to 1cc it.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

marco75 wrote:My list:
Viper Phase 1
Old or New ?. The time based weapon of the old version makes it hard as nail; they removed it on the new version; which makes it far too easy.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

marco75 wrote:
Kaiser wrote:Raiden 2 (It's much easier than horrible 1)
Raiden II is hard as a boner.

I beg to disagree. The PC version of Raiden 2 has adjustable difficulty, so you can make it as easy or difficult as you like. And it is an excellent port. You can even use a music CD of your choice! The same goes for Raiden Project and Raiden DX for PS1, very fair and not hardcore.
NO it isn't for me for at least, i finished one loop of it in month..... died once on it lolz... and that game has no score extends :lol: Once you blast through level 5 and
6 boss without problems, it's easy as heck.... not to mention final boss is just TOO EASY
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

marco75 wrote: Zanac (NES)
I disagree. Pretty hectic and your ship feels underpowered (compared, say, to Zanac Neo with the FC Custom).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Some easy shmups I like:
Astrosmash
Solar Striker
Nemesis GB
Thunder Force III
Gun Nac
GG Aleste
Blazing Lasers
Twinbee
Twinbee Da!!
shmup stages in Super Mario Land
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

For myself, Compile games seem easier until the late stages and then the difficulty is pump up x10!

Examples:
Blazing Lazers - a walk in the park until stage 9 boss rush
MUSHA - a day at the beach until the final stage and then it is madness
Power Strike - I can 1 life to stage 6 then it is over for me on my first death. I can have many lives and it is useless.
Zanac - I can get to stage 12 then I fail. Just like Power Strike death upon death :cry:

Funny thing is I LOVE all these games :D and are my all time favorites!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Blazing Star is basically a Compile game without extends, since the last two parts are the only stages with challenge.

The stages in Compile games with actual tough parts are bypassed due to the ridiculous amount of extra lives you recieve during the game.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

It's true, you do hear that extra life jingle alot in Compile games.

A few Compile games I just play in some sort of tranced automatic mode, snapping out of it at the last level.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

professor ganson wrote:
I disagree. Pretty hectic and your ship feels underpowered (compared, say, to Zanac Neo with the FC Custom).
I should make a video of me 1LC it to show how easy it is. :)
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Shatterhand wrote:
professor ganson wrote:
That'd be cool. I can't figure out this one at all...
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Bike Banditz

Very fun, but easy.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

DJ Rectal Prolapse wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:
professor ganson wrote: I disagree. Pretty hectic and your ship feels underpowered (compared, say, to Zanac Neo with the FC Custom).
That'd be cool. I can't figure out this one at all...
Keep with weapon 5, don't stay at any of the borders of the screen. I find Zanac NES to be easier than Zanac Neo, no doubts about it.
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

I can't believe you guys consider Raiden II and Truxton II to be easy games. You must be way more hardcore than me.

G Darius is pretty easy on PS1 but significantly harder on PS2.

Insector X, now there's an easy game. Sky Shark is actually fairly easy too. I don't know why some people think it's hard. NES Gradius and Lifeforce don't start to get hard until the second loop.
SWY: Games are just for fun