In The Hunt- PS VS Saturn

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
evil_ash_xero

In The Hunt- PS VS Saturn

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I am wanting to pick this game up. I read that the PS1 version is superior, but I read at SHMUPS.com that the PS1 version was a "slow and sluggish" version. Which is true, and what's the plusses and minues between the two versions?

s/m
CIT

Post by CIT »

The Saturn Version is the slow-as-molasses one (albeit not any more sluggish than the PCB). Also there were some misprints of the Japanese Saturn version, so some of them don't even work at all.

IIRC the Playstation version also has some different music from Saturn/PCB.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Been discuss many times.

PS1 runs faster than the Saturn version.

Saturn version has a graphical bug in it (or so I herd).
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

Play it in MAME, with the CPU 200% overclocked.

Fastest, best possible In The Hunt experience there is.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

I have PS1 version...didn't see any noteworthy flaws. I think its excellent.
Fight Like A Robot!
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

I still play my PS1 In The Hunt every once in a while. It's a pretty damn good shmup IMO.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ROBOTRON wrote:I have PS1 version...didn't see any noteworthy flaws. I think its excellent.
Quoted.
X - P - B
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Ps1 version has the code to speed the game up, too. I own both saturn versions (us/jpn), both US version (longbox/ cd case), and shortly the pcb again for the second time. The saturn is not bad- but the ps1 is better. The pcb is somewhere between the saturn and the ps1 ones- but the ps1 has more options if memory serves- that and the speed up code works great : )

where's my in the hunt 2? *(that's worthy)
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

whats the speed up code?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

I Googled and found this:

http://www.consolecheatcodes.com/psone/ ... heats.html

I'm gonna try it later to see if it works.
Fight Like A Robot!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I think the code is listed at GameFAQs. I don't think I ever tried it, though.
X - P - B
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

I could swear I found that code here on the forums the last time I talked about the game. I remember holding something pausing/unpausing a few times (the more you do it- the faster it gets). I don't doubt that gamefaqs would have it.
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

gamefaqs wrote: Speed Up and Slow Down

While you're playing the game, press START to pause. To speed up the game slightly, unpause the game while pressing Triangle+R2. To slow down the game slightly, pause and then unpause while pressing Triangle+L2. You might have to do this a few times to get the full effect.
Super In the Hunt II Turbo!
greg

Post by greg »

The US version of In The Hunt certainly has boot problems. It was random, and it worked even worse on an import console with a converter cartridge. It would often freeze at the kokopeli logo. I sold mine to get the Japanese version, Kaitei Daisensou, for the Saturn instead. Problem solved. However, I don't know how it will boot on a domestic Saturn. Maybe it goes both ways.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

When you use the code to speed the game up, does it speed up the music too, or just the game?

s/m
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

I remember the speed-up code. I never noticed a difference when I tried speeding it up. I entered it multiple times too. Maybe I didn't know what to look for back then. I'll have to experiment with it later.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
Restart_Point

Re: In The Hunt- PS VS Saturn

Post by Restart_Point »

Sorry to revive an old thread but it's the most relevant in the forums to reply to....

I've been checking out both versions recently after purchasing the original Japanese PS1 disc, and then playing the Saturn version via my Satiator to compare.

I have decided that as a single-player experience and disregarding all the extra options the PS1 version has, I prefer the Saturn port for a reason that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else.

The PS1 version appears to have less frequent slow down, but it does have some quite bad and very noticeable screen-tearing, and what looks like frame-skipping at times.

The Saturn on the other hand, slows down more frequently, but, at all times it runs smoother than the PS1 version. The PS1 has variable amounts of screen-tearing (and noticeably jerky scrolling in general) at all times during the game, even when there isn't much happening. This started to become very off-putting the more I noticed it. The screen often seems to update in horizontal strips like v-sync is turned off (for want of a better description), and this happens not only to the scrolling backgrounds but also on sprites. I have never noticed this happening on the Saturn.

For context, I'm playing both consoles on a flat panel using RGB SCART cables going to a RetroTink 2X-SCART. So I can only comment on my setup, would be good to know if anybody thinks a CRT would give different results.

And to end on a couple of non gameplay-related points, the Saturn (and arcade) version has the destructible iceberg sprites floating in the water around the middle of stage one, but they are totally absent in the PS1 version, which is odd and makes me wonder if the PS1 version is missing any other assets I haven't noticed.

As for the booting bug in the Saturn version, I get it when I play using an ODE, so there's definitely some error in the game's code, but I can get around it every time by making sure there are no controllers plugged into the Saturn just at the time when the freeze usually occurs.
Last edited by Restart_Point on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Heard the boot problem was to do with controllers being plugged in. There might have been something about not auto-booting into it too - doing it from the console screen was OK? That might have been another game though...

I binned my PAL copy because I thought the disc was knackered - way before I heard of this bug!!! Worth a pretty penny! I have the PAL PS1 version though and it can be forced to run at 60Hz using a boot disc.
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

davyK wrote:I binned my PAL copy
Are you the same person who mentioned this on the UK Saturn forum?? Just as painful to see it again here
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

I'll never know how much the Saturn version sucks, because my NTSCJ copy is one of those fucked discs that never boots :cry:

Most expensive beer mat I ever bought
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Just get the ACA release for less than $10 and stop worrying about broken old ports.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Austin

Post by Austin »

Yeah.. I think the screen tearing issue is an issue with the upscale setup, not the PS1 port of this game. It’s been a little while since I last played it, but I binged the Japanese version through my Framemeister setup a while back and don’t recall seeing tearing. I will try it again soon.

I remember looking into this subject (PS1 versus Saturn) here and believe I read in other threads that some hardcore fans of this game even prefer the PS1 port to the PCB due to it having less slowdown (a “feature” that doesn’t really help in this game like it may in a bullet hell).
Jonpachi wrote:Just get the ACA release for less than $10 and stop worrying about broken old ports.
Some of these “old ports” are still pretty damn good though and offer features some of the current ports, like the Arcade Archive titles, don’t have (optional arrange soundtrack in the PS1 version, for instance).
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Jonpachi wrote:Just get the ACA release for less than $10 and stop worrying about broken old ports.
Yeah, got that too. It's fine
davyK

Post by davyK »

Restart_Point wrote:
davyK wrote:I binned my PAL copy
Are you the same person who mentioned this on the UK Saturn forum?? Just as painful to see it again here
Yeah....think I mentioned it over there. Painful indeed.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

davyK wrote:Heard the boot problem was to do with controllers being plugged in. There might have been something about not auto-booting into it too - doing it from the console screen was OK? That might have been another game though...

I binned my PAL copy because I thought the disc was knackered - way before I heard of this bug!!! Worth a pretty penny! I have the PAL PS1 version though and it can be forced to run at 60Hz using a boot disc.
Yeah I had a nice mint NTSC version of Saturn I.T.H at one point (not a big collector of the system and sold it upon the ACA release as the price had gone up considerably) I can confirm that too suffered from the same boot issue - about 85% of the time it would hit the first screen and freeze. I did some hunting around on old forum posts from like 2003 and found the tip about removing the controller from the port until it hits the title screen and this would work every time.

It did used to slow down quite a bit in boss fights; I remember particularly the statue that spends the whole level chasing you upwards was pretty awful.

What I got for the single game on the eBay auction (it really did look new off the shelf, not a blemish) nearly covered a CIB Jaguar with A vs P and so I've no regrets there.
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Sorta needs a new port to new systems with options to play with pcb slowdown or remove the slowdown. The art on in the hunt was incredible and i always assumed metal slug art was the same graphician as very similar style

Edit ... the saturn should have eaten this game for breakfast so I am gathering really bad programming and a lack of experience to the saturn hardware
parodius

Post by parodius »

First time I see this trick mentioned about removing the controllers to get past the black boot screen on some Saturns, very nice.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

Enemy wrote:Sorta needs a new port to new systems with options to play with pcb slowdown or remove the slowdown. The art on in the hunt was incredible and i always assumed metal slug art was the same graphician as very similar style

Edit ... the saturn should have eaten this game for breakfast so I am gathering really bad programming and a lack of experience to the saturn hardware
Indeed. Mind you, didn't Metal Slug Saturn require the 2 or 4mb ram cart into order to either play, or it was optional, with that game also having significant slowdown without it?

On the subject, in spite of the Saturn version being perceived as the inferior one; this was one of my first shmups therefore it will always have a special place in my heart. The slowdown also makes it significantly good for 2 player coop with people not well versed in shmups and need a standing chance.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

The Saturn port's by Sims, which had already developed some games for the system. They just never were too competent lol.

Metal Slug requires the 1MB cart, though you can use the 4MB cart. Some say this one adds more slowdown as it wasn't even released when the game came out, but I'm more inclined to believe these reports are from people not using official cartridges. Not sure if this was ever confirmed and posted somewhere.
Saturn collector

Post by Saturn collector »

I have just bought the saturn version and it does not start no matter what. My asian model is mk-80219-07 that run with 220 volts.
The disk is mint and i can run it on ssf emulator perfectly.
Sometime if a miracle happen the game boots but freeze just after the cgi intro or when i plug in a controller. Does anybody have a obscure fix? I love to play my saturn shmups on an oldass crt piece of shit, i would hate to be forced to play it on an emulator in hd madness.