Should I keep Namco Museum Encore, or trade it??

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dave4shmups

Should I keep Namco Museum Encore, or trade it??

Post by dave4shmups »

I'd just like some opinions on this. Upon getting the game today, and putting into my import PSTwo, I realized that Rolling Thunder is LOADED with slowdown-not enough to make it totally unplayable-but almost. And Rolling Thunder, along with Dragon Saber, is one of the main reasons I picked up this collection.

Dragon Saber and all the other games work perfectly, but Dragon Saber has an extremely small non-tate mode, and my TV doesn't seem tatable-no matter what I do, there's always at least some discoloration. (I've been told about some kind of cloth that you can literally wipe this away with, but I don't know what's called or where to find one.)

So, should I trade the sucker or not?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
landshark

Post by landshark »

You own a copy - why don't you go play the mame rom now? It plays just fine and you'll get your rolling thunder fix. A painful one - damn that game is hard.
Neon

Post by Neon »

It's your call.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks for the advice Landshark; I hadn't thought about that!

Well, I suppose that what I'll do is try putting it on the trading station, and then if no one offers me a trade for it, then I'll keep it. nI'll post it up tomorrow.

I would still welcome any further advice, however.
Farewell to hollow words
greg

Post by greg »

Here's my advice, as politely as possible. Learn to make your own decisions. You have the game, so it's not like you don't know what it plays like. It's one thing to ask people to tell you how to decide between two completely dissimilar shmups (which is irritating enough), but it's another thing to ask people what you should and should not own. Only you can decide whether a game is fun to you or not. You can't depend on having everyone else make up your own mind for you. You promised you wouldn't burden the forum with these types of posts, remember?
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Neon wrote:It's your call.
What this guy said and what Greg said, too.

I'm tired of helping you out whenever you create hundred posts like this, and when we do all help you out... You go out and get it, and what do you usually do? Sell it off within few days to few weeks.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Namco Encore! Man, if you're selling / trading that one, I'm interested, really!

P.S. this may be unwise for me to tell, but who cares if PS2 slows it? Can't you play it on a great Psone?
greg

Post by greg »

Turrican wrote:P.S. this may be unwise for me to tell, but who cares if PS2 slows it? Can't you play it on a great Psone?
Please retract that question. We've been through that one already...
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Jon

Post by Jon »

greg wrote:Here's my advice, as politely as possible. Learn to make your own decisions. You have the game, so it's not like you don't know what it plays like. It's one thing to ask people to tell you how to decide between two completely dissimilar shmups (which is irritating enough), but it's another thing to ask people what you should and should not own. Only you can decide whether a game is fun to you or not. You can't depend on having everyone else make up your own mind for you. You promised you wouldn't burden the forum with these types of posts, remember?
Thats some pretty good advice for you there Dave. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world (and this forum for that matter) take heart.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

what i think u should do..buy the games you're interested...play them for a while..then decide which games you wanna trade..hold off onto it until u have a bunch of games you're willing to get rid of..post it in trading station..and poof..your collection is big enough for people to trade or sell..
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

greg wrote:Please retract that question. We've been through that one already...
Yeah, and if you gave me an url, or summed the matter with five words, now I wouldn't be dying for curiosity :?
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

greg wrote:Here's my advice, as politely as possible. Learn to make your own decisions. You have the game, so it's not like you don't know what it plays like. It's one thing to ask people to tell you how to decide between two completely dissimilar shmups (which is irritating enough), but it's another thing to ask people what you should and should not own. Only you can decide whether a game is fun to you or not. You can't depend on having everyone else make up your own mind for you. You promised you wouldn't burden the forum with these types of posts, remember?
You pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

I remember scanning the posts on the forum...I see this question. I say..it can't be...it just can't be, he can't seriously be asking another question like this...and my eyes move to the right. Damn...it IS him...AGAIN.

Dave, tell me how this question is any different than "I took a bite of a sandwich - should I spit it out or swallow it?" I mean, what are you playing games for in the first place? If you can't even figure out what to DO with the game once you own it - clearly, you must not be playing to enjoy the game? Once you get out into the real world you're going to have to make decisions for yourself.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Sorry Greg and everyone else, I just wanted an opinion, alright? I would remind you all that OTHERS on this forum ask for opinions on things; comparing this to the question about the sandwich is like apples to oranges.

JUST because I ask for a frikin' opinion on something, doesn't mean I can't decide for myself; and asking for opinions is NOT the same as asking someone to tell you what to do-at least not to anyone with any discernment, anyway.

Whatever, in any case, it's on the trading station now, so this is my final post in this thread.
Farewell to hollow words
greg

Post by greg »

Hey come on guy... Yes, other people ask for opinions on here, but you're asking for more than just opinions. It's one thing to ask, "Hey guys, what do you think about Game Tengoku?" But it's a completely different thing to ask, "Guys, should I buy Game Tengoku?" Or "Should I buy Game Tengoku for the Saturn or Biohazard Battle for the Genesis?" Talk about apples and oranges. Worse yet, "I just got Game Tengoku today. Should I sell it or keep it?" That's just beyond comprehension for most of us here. Meditate on that for a while.

The sandwich analogy was a bit crude, but it fits. Or perhaps this analogy, "I don't know if I should eat an apple or an orange. What do you think?" Then later, "Hey, I just got an orange, but I think I may want an apple instead. Anyone want to trade their apple for my orange? Gosh, I love round fruit that grow on trees, but I never really stop to consider their taste and their meaning to me and what I really like." It's just tiring for the rest of us.

You know me well enough to realize that I'm not doing this to pick on you. Others may just attack you, but I've been trying to give you pointers. I wanted to lay this on the table on the open forum first before someone else did, rather than in a PM. I know you want to get along with everyone here, but you can't annoy too many people without stopping to consider that perhaps they have some valid perspective on your behavior that maybe you aren't realizing just yet and you should seriously consider.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

What would Brian Boitano do?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

DaveH wrote:Sorry Greg and everyone else, I just wanted an opinion, alright? I would remind you all that OTHERS on this forum ask for opinions on things; comparing this to the question about the sandwich is like apples to oranges.

Yes, Dave. But asking us "should I do this, or should I do that" every 48 hours is like we have to tell you how to spend your money, tell you which games you should play, or systems to keep.

Just exercise your will, and don't be afraid of taking small risks like that. It's not like selling or keeping a game is going to alter your life in an irreversible way. And if you make a mistake, so what? When I'm on my deathbed, I'd rather regret what I didn't get to do in my life, and not what I did.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
landshark

Post by landshark »

99pence wrote:What would Brian Boitano do?

He'd make a plan and he'd follow through! That's what Brian Boitano'd do!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I'm going to have to go with the majority forum sentiment here, Dave. And honestly the folks here in this thread have voiced their opinion quite politely and in a very detailed and coherent way trying their very best to express their viewpoint to you. I'm locking this. No more "Should I do this? Should I sell this threads?" please. Please stick to good old fashioned gameplay discussion which is in the end what we're here for. I am just going to start locking these. It shouldn't be that hard to decide whether or not you like a game enough to keep/sell it on your own. And since you are always downloading roms it's easy to make general port comparison decisions on your own (depending on how well a game has been emulated of course but the point stands).