Best SHMUP OSTs

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lemnear

Re: Best SHMUP OSTs

Post by Lemnear »

I don't know why, but the music of Battle Garegga reminds me not the SHMUPS music, but music of Racing Arcade.
They are chill , perfect for an aperitif on the lake during the sunset.

EDIT: this is a common scene here where i live. There are some arcade cabinets in a tropical local on the lake shore.
Spoiler
Battle Garegga Rev 2016 perfect edition ー 03 - Fly to the Leaden Sky Stage 1 Valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF-ENkufyCY
BIL

Post by BIL »

Namiki's Garegga's OST was heavily influenced (to put it charitably >_> :lol:) by classic Detroit Techno, and is indeed overall very chill! "Fly To The Leaden Sky", "Underwater Rampart," "Degeneracy," "Tunnel Vision," "Subversive Awareness," "Bluescape" and "Blood Brothers In The Dawn" - all first rate breezy jams with a suave techno pulse. Not at all unlike Yuzo Koshiro's artfully poaching the late 80s/early 90s club and techno scenes for the Bare Knuckle games' now-iconic sound.

That is one gorgeous photo! :o
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

The picture above totally reminds me of the first level of Progear.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BIL wrote:Namiki's Garegga's OST was heavily influenced (to put it charitably >_> :lol:) by classic Detroit Techno, and is indeed overall very chill! "Fly To The Leaden Sky", "Underwater Rampart," "Degeneracy," "Tunnel Vision," "Subversive Awareness," "Bluescape" and "Blood Brothers In The Dawn" - all first rate breezy jams with a suave techno pulse. Not at all unlike Yuzo Koshiro's artfully poaching the late 80s/early 90s club and techno scenes for the Bare Knuckle games' now-iconic sound.

That is one gorgeous photo! :o
OMG Thank you for that Detroit Techno playlist!!!
I like all the Battle Garegga music you listed.

Never played a Toaplan game but:

Hellfire - Arcade music OST - Stage 1 Captain Lancer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VUMGMKTnKs
Shmupking22

Post by Shmupking22 »

Darius Gaiden (First stage, really like that music, really catchy, also the interim between each zone, awesome).
Seirei Senshi Spriggan (not bad ost)
shmuppy-puppy

Post by shmuppy-puppy »

Silver lining by Yosuke Yasui in Eschatos is absolutely amazing.
It manages to slip in some rather tasty chord progressions and a nice catchy melody again with some interesting tensions that build up to a modulation of the song‘s key.
All this happens while the song stays driving and fast enough to support the action of the gameplay.

There are even a lot of covers of this song on youtube.
To me this is an adorable masterpiece.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Lemnear wrote:Hellfire - Arcade music OST - Stage 1 Captain Lancer
There exists a PC Engine version of Hellfire called Hellfire S, with an arranged soundtrack. It's got some hits and some misses. Luckily the hits are pretty damn cool. Here's the Stage 5 Theme - In Side Drive (uploaded by myself right now, why not? 8) ). Great piece with striking and uncommon sounds.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
BIL

Post by BIL »

Anyone else hear a bit of Priest's "Hell Bent For Leather" in "Captain Lancer?" Specifically comparing the chorus riff to about 10 seconds in.

There's many who tried to prove that they're faster! But they didn't last and they died as they tried! Image

Either way, Hellfire and Kyuukyoku Tiger MD OSTs stood out a mile BITD :cool: The coldest, clangiest FM synth wrought into burning passions and melancholies. Image Looking back with a fuller view of the medium, stuff like Hellfire lands more in the lyrical ballpark of Koshiro's Ys I & II and The Scheme than contemporary highlights like Gradius II.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I'm really hearing Aquarium from Raystorm in this one:
https://youtu.be/T1qaztdvcJ8

Here's Tamayo's track:
https://youtu.be/1HFMnjdY8kg
davyK

Post by davyK »

Futari is top of the tree for me. Original Mushi is enjoyable too though.

Darius Gaiden would be next. Then Layer Section.

Have always been fond of Raiden III's soundtrack though I may be in a minority on that.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

BIL wrote:Anyone else hear a bit of Priest's "Hell Bent For Leather" in "Captain Lancer?" Specifically comparing the chorus riff to about 10 seconds in.
Similar but not enough for call it plagiarism.
I've already posted my preferred BGM from Twin Cobra 8) , if you play guitar or piano, that music is just PERFECT for an engaging session.
Rastan78 wrote:I'm really hearing Aquarium from Raystorm in this one:
https://youtu.be/T1qaztdvcJ8
Is this Zuntata? <3

And Now:

Battle Garegga Rev 2016 perfect edition ー 14 - Blood Brothers in the Dawn Ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAbbKge ... n&index=14

A 16Bit-like edited photo for an evocative moment:
Spoiler
scrilla4rella wrote:The picture above totally reminds me of the first level of Progear.
Is at 5min of car from me. Now reminds Progear first stage more? :lol:
Spoiler
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

Gleylancer Good Ending (Video)

it's so strangely....heartwarming and nostalgic...
Lander

Post by Lander »

Speaking of Garegga, Rebellion is just superb.

Short, to the point, incisive. And like the best tunes, carefully layered so its component parts reveal themselves iteratively over repeat listens instead of simply becoming repetitive.

Which is to say, shit gets you excited to put in a credit.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

g-darius
g-darius miraikanryOu
darius gaiden
dArius gaiden ~the last kiss~
dArius II
darius burst + expansiOnz
eschatOs
rayforce
raystOrm
super r-type
r-type delta
r-type finAl
r-type special
touhou 15: legacy of lunatic kingdom
tOuhou 17: wily beast and weakest creature
verytex
thunderforce IV
apidya
tAtsujin ou
metal blaCk
bAttle garegga
mamOru-kun wa norowarete shimatta!
einhander
pulstAr
bOrder down
radiant silvergUn
m.u.s.h.a. aleste
space manbOw
x-multiply
chO ren sha 68k
hyper dUel
gradius V
raiden II
rAiden IV

there's a lot more osts, but tHat'z all i can think of off the top of my hEad. it'z probably gOod enough for nOw :>
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
BIL

Post by BIL »

Lander wrote:Speaking of Garegga, Rebellion is just superb.

Short, to the point, incisive. And like the best tunes, carefully layered so its component parts reveal themselves iteratively over repeat listens instead of simply becoming repetitive.

Which is to say, shit gets you excited to put in a credit.
Garegga has possibly the most invigorating opening soundscape of any arcade title; at least I can't think of better than Rebellion, 0471AM, and Leaden Sky back-to-back, all punctuated by the inimitable Coin In SFX - like the most improbably sonorous gear clicking into place - an irresistibly chipper Start jingle, and the emblematic buzzbox fly-by.

Very fond of Gradius III's sequencing too, similarly arresting mix, though nowhere as suavely easy-going. And there are some individually cracking On Standby BGMs, notable the track of the same title from Tamayo's Rayforce, her mesmerising ORIGIN ~ Throw A Coin from Raystorm, and a personal favourite: PRESAGE from Thunder Dragon; listen to that machinegunning Sgt. Major Harris bass! NMK have a whole raft of quality standby BGM, many also from HIDE-KAZ, but this one absolutely radiates his trademark sullen fire. Throw the ferryman a fuckin coin, pussy! You probably won't survive, but you'll be much stronger, because you tried! Image Image Image
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:miraikanryOu

UNFORGETTABLE STRANGE NRG ABOUNDS Image My favourite ZTT AST, and they have a lot of good ones!

Space Manbow is superb too, I wish those tunes had made it to Thunder Cross II. HYDRA's High-Pressure Arpeggio Barrage is a better Gradius boss BGM than any of the series' actual boss BGMs, and MEMOIRE is heartbreaking Image Them Konami MSX soundtracks, those custom chips, absolute beast wood configuration. Image
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

Here's a super niche one, from an old PC shovelware shmup.
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
Lander

Post by Lander »

:lol:
BIL wrote:Garegga has possibly the most invigorating opening soundscape of any arcade title; at least I can't think of better than Rebellion, 0471AM, and Leaden Sky back-to-back, all punctuated by the inimitable Coin In SFX - like the most improbably sonorous gear clicking into place - an irresistibly chipper Start jingle, and the emblematic buzzbox fly-by.
Certainly the most memorable I've encountered, and even the preceding RAIZING shout gets in on the tru canon playlist order. Figurative, literal, sallgoodmayne.

Currently, I find myself enamoured by the climbing title bassline. If the lead synth proclaims we're flying out to war :o, backing bro is stood behind and we won't fail 8)
BIL wrote:Very fond of Gradius III's sequencing too, similarly arresting mix, though nowhere as suavely easy-going.
Rousing stuff! I particularly like that the loadout screen folds the sparkly powerup jingle back into the music as a slightly more melodic arpeggio motif.

Love that Raystorm piece too - pitch-perfect piano timbre, and I've always been impressed by musicians who can execute shadow clone jutsu and play coherently alongside their echoing afterimages Image
BIL wrote:Throw the ferryman a fuckin coin, pussy!
Not STG related, but a certain Williams banger to this effect has been stand-and-delivering through my sound system lately.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!
NO WAY.
GIMME YOUR MONEY!
HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Yamaha rockin' aside, the fourth-wall abuse is charmingly... Carnie? :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Everybody loves Black Knight and his killer Thunder Force III basslines, you have to respect an honest rogue! :cool:

"BAHAHAHAAAA! GIMME YOUR MONEH!!!" :lol:
cfx

Post by cfx »

Doujin shooter Tobi Tsukihime has a nice soundtrack by Masashi Yano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKoVvukDJM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mZYTokmdBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALScEkPEEPI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSYQIk5_5I

Not used in game, a Yousuke Yasui remix of one of the above that was included on the OST CD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRa4IV3q62Q
Restart_Point

Post by Restart_Point »

The Gradius series and satellite IPs like Salamander / Nemesis / Parodius are winners. Anythng remotely related to Gradius that involved old-school Konami has just the most perfect music for me, and best of the lot is probably Gradius II & III (arcade or consoles). But there's none of it I dislike. Such a high standard was maintained for so many years. I think the thing I like about it all the most is the clear classical inspiration that can be heard since all the way back in Gradius I, with an undercurrent of soaring joy & triumph through it all. I cant think of a more perfect approach to egg you on during a shmup. Im also very fond of many of Toaplan's classic shmups. Tatsujin I & II, Kyukyoku Tiger, Same! Same! Same! and V-V etc.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

19XX

This game have a very "weird" but evocative soundtrack...those orange sunsets on the ocean...
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Chorensha 68K

Thunderforce III

Mushi Futari

DDP DOJ

Eschatos

Touhou 06 and 07

Darius Gaiden and G-Darius

RayForce

Gradius II and III

R-Type Delta and R-Type 1
deltawing

Post by deltawing »

Here are some bangers:

Elemental Master
Nexzr
Dodonpachi DFK Black Label
Guwange
Battle Garegga
AyeYoYoYO

Post by AyeYoYoYO »

Favorite: Ketsui

Vote for underappreciated: Soukyuugurentai
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Didn’t see if it was mentioned, but I love the soundtrack to Revolter
Particularly this track
https://youtu.be/7t3QC7XVakQ

H Sakimoto :arrow:
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

GG Aleste - Stage 1
I simply LOVE how the Game Gear sounds!!!
Hazuki

Post by Hazuki »

I really like Dragon Blaze's OST, especially this track here: https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-so ... %25202.mp3

It sounds powerful, hellish and intimidating. Fitting for the bosses of such a hard game.
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

Fast Striker on Neo Geo

That soundtrack is pure perfection. Very electronic but gets me pumped for some shooting action. While all tracks are fantastic, Stage 1, City Blues, is just out of this world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC7Ppm64Y38