X68000 rarities, united efforts to seek them ?!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

downloaded some free shmups from vector.co.jp
Blue Phoenix demo (1 level only)
D.D. (time attack)
Pen-san CD (oooh high res, crashed my emu after a short time though)
Spiral Bullet
caincan

Post by caincan »

sorry for people who asked me about these disks, but the french ftp we slowly mounted seems to have been erased in many folders. 'im no longer at home and nomad with an ultralaptop x1ve ! +some wifi hack sometimes :/ (actually near Swiss in Lyon, on some unstable little table with wifi hack and low battery, yes the world we live in, is a grain of sand !) .

hope they will find a way to refuel the so uncommon games we put in :/ i'll try to ask them to know later (they are in some underground low members irc channel...)

or i will but at mid-2009' year i guess. (i have some goals as one is : wanting a shmup arcade (~8-9 dedicated Tate/yoko shmups cabs) & retro & uncommon computers & consoles shelter gameroom, but it requires me time to study hard again & so get better job elsewhere :cry: or some lucky paper for 50billions as said gaijinpunch , that way i swear i would do THE shmup shrine :idea: )

even i could only test few hours my setup which took so late time to come, during some short holidays (7-9 hours train distance :/ )

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

caincan wrote:ultralaptop x1ve
What is this?

Nice X68000 setup; I wish I had an external SCSI disk like I see in that picture...didn't win the last one I saw on eBay though, not even close :lol:
zinger

Post by zinger »

caincan, do you know of a game called "Partial Axiom"? I have the X68000 soundtrack for it, which uses the Z-MUSIC driver and sounds very STG-ish. Also, it's by the same guy who did the B-System soundtrack. I'm not sure it's a shooter though, or if it was ever released at all! We should remember that a lot of doujin works have probably never ever been availiable on the internet, but only through BBS:es and doujin conventions. Be sure to report back if you find anything.
SOUNDSHOCK
caincan

Post by caincan »

1. sorry.. tiny keyboard, old sony pcg-c1ve (with 160gb hd upgrade..rare !)

2. scsi doesnt mean you need a real x68k one, it's lot about msdos/config/Autoexec/batchs style in it !! see my configs, http://fiend41.free.fr/1207/ (but i couldnt take time yet to understand more about format preparing harddrive , but in the past as said, we progressed fast on tricks for x68k). but harddrive doesnt support lot of games it seems

3. dont remember at the moment this game or music, but that interests me much about good sounds. (reminds me too lot of tests we made to run some fucked backup). my plan too is upgrade this x68k : midi interface with mt32 :) +good arcade sanwa stick. yet it has 4mb ram ( i like pumping old things ^^ amstrad, c64, atari XL, switchs video overclocks harddrives etcc)
Last edited by caincan on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Thanks for that info!

If you need an MT-32, I still have an extra one packed up here...it's missing the top cover but it works just fine. You'll need a power supply but a 120V one from the States or Japan, but if you can find a 220V one locally that'd work better for you. :)
caincan

Post by caincan »

chaos chaos... i rectified the correct link, it has all pictures i took for remembering config status of x68k and more (pics of lovely fmtowns2, palcom, ...) mine is even a Scsi-2 drive ! so tolerance on x68k seems good too. could do researchs agains, but lack of time/comfort and bad unstable table+ that damned wifi low near window, and no mouse :/ i try remember that some site had infos about formatting scsi hard drives for x68k standard (tokugawa.free.fr ?!)

since someone told me that somes games had way better musics, i wanted a mt32 , wished it, it appeared in a charity bin trash shop back in the days, incredible to see something as that there (even in france too) it was it and it worked (7$) :) so it took me after that some times to get the midi interface on YJA (and still on some boat i figure..). as the old mt32 is zero memory i figure i will do the trick, add battery and change the rom with the better samples in future too (and add rca jack) (some musics with dedicated interface sound very gooooood even in emulation compared to the basic ones)

longer will be to rebuild a win98 pc with 5"1/4 and xfloppy these backups to run the games in real x68k :)

yes many "amateur" games were in some public rental stores in limited time to get
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

caincan wrote:yes many "amateur" games were in some public rental stores in limited time to get
I figured some stuff was distributed in compilations (as usual, like shareware here in the states), but that's news. It probably would've been more convenient than FTP given the availability of internet services at the time in Japan, I think.
caincan

Post by caincan »

:idea: you'll love this you leechers...

pm for precision...
Last edited by caincan on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarkMoon

Post by DarkMoon »

caincan, PM me with the link please.
Gotta Get Em' All, Shmupmon!!
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

thanks caincan for this awesome thread.

now what would be nice would be to modify the source of Win X68k emulator to be able to display in low resolution full screen (now the only option is 800x600 full screen)
undamned

Re: X68000 rarities, united efforts to seek them ?!

Post by undamned »

Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
uroko-sakanabito

Post by uroko-sakanabito »

Very nice thread ! thx :D
oli_lar

Post by oli_lar »

Thread revive, hopefully Caincan still visits - I've been after R+R for ages any chance you can link me up? I've got a bunch of PC-98 shooters that are pretty hard to get a hold of we could trade. Thanks for the game that undamned just linked to on YJA, been after that for a while too - what is its name in English? The same seller has a few (copied) titles that are hard to find.
Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight »

Deleted
oli_lar

Post by oli_lar »

Just managed to find R+R here: http://shq.dyndns.org/shq.htm

Not a disk image though, so looks like I'll have to do a little digging on how to compile them.
Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight »

I found both a disk image and an LZH suitable for decompression on a real machine, but I assume we are not allowed to link to site containing images of software under copyright (i.e. there were retail releases also for download on the same page). Is that right?
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

I have pretty much all the shmups posted in this thread, but I think most of 'em are not THAT hard to find.

Anyways, heres a link to the R+R disk image http://www.mediafire.com/?2zmnmwi5bdz

I will remove it if any mod wants me to.
oli_lar

Post by oli_lar »

Thanks very much Nimitz! Most of them aren't hard to find no, but R+R is the one that has been eluding me for ages. I remember someone over at Tokugawa said they had a dump of the full game, looks like I'll be after that now (you don't have it per chance?). That demo is pretty good!
caincan

Post by caincan »

if you can have the full Tosec, sure nothing's rare... but it's hard to get it very complete...and have time to test among 3000 things :? , we didnt have that time i remember. hopefully some other can continue the search for jewels ? :)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

If the TOSEC set is like the MSX one, it's probably full of weird hacked-up headers :mrgreen:
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

i was reading the HG101 gradius article and it mentioned Nemesis '90 Kai for the x68k from the article pictures it looks quite good has anyone played it?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/gradius/gradius.htm

edit: i was just checking the 2nd hand prices out and its $190 on ebay, bugger that
oli_lar

Post by oli_lar »

It is good, was playing it last week. The rank in it is quite hard on the later levels.

RE the price, just emulate it.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

oli_lar wrote:RE the price, just emulate it.
thats what i did straight after looking at ebay, ive no qwarms about using (EDIT: old) roms since im not really stealling from the makers just the ppl who sell on ebay
caincan

Post by caincan »

found an old thread... italian did some dig to try shmup games & arcade ports

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183244
Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight »

caincan wrote:found an old thread... italian did some dig to try shmup games & arcade ports

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183244
I'd noticed someone had copied my picture of Code-Zero over on that forum, so I decided to update my website with a new, better picture of it. I've also updated my list of games (just four new ones since last year). If you really want pictures of any of them let me know:
http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~debiddo/mygames.htm
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Since we're all here, what are y'all using for the vidya? XRGB with cables? Original monitors?

I'm gonna hit the decade mark in a couple years for having X68000 games but still not having played them. Ouf

Also wish somebody would come up with a reliable way to copy that floppy...can't blame me for wanting a real backup of rare games, can you?
Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight »

My setup:

Two original monitors, both CZ-613D models. I've set them up so that I can easily switch between PCB and X68000 usage, just used an extra cable and gender changer. Both use RGB. My other machines (Marty, Famicom, AES, Spectrum, MSX machines etc.) all use the standard television input. I can also watch television on these monitors, so they're basically perfect for my needs. One was 7,000 yen and the other 3,000.

I can't actually use both monitors at the same time when one is rotated though, the magnetic fields interfere with each other, causing the displays to wobble.

For copying disks I use File Master and its update disks. It works very well, but not for every game. It was expensive too. For File Master and Formula 68K together I paid 11,500 yen.
caincan

Post by caincan »

yep, magicknight, remembering we talked a bit on arcadeotaku :)

i dont have the original monitor as said. but on VGA you can run almost games. because low res only -games, have sometimes a hacked version which permits VGA. testing many things, i didnt had problems with playing on a Vga only -monitor.

cannot say for the original to backup. but the duplication of image disks to floppies is said to work, you need an old Pc computer (because bios must support a 5" 1/4 -1.2mb floppy drive , it runs on pure ms-dos. i read some people did it. (know someone too who overclocked his x68k). i hope one day do both of these. (and because harddrive doesnt makes work lot of games on x68k)

there's also someone in france (i met him... in a car ! ) which was programming at a time, an emulated floppy drive with some sd/mmc card, where you send the correct image game, and it would run. (many of these things exist on : amstrad, commodore64, ...), so it sounds plausible :)

it seems progress has been made too on finding sources of "PC clones" for the two 5" 1/4 floppy drives of real x68k. people on the gamesxxx forum have hints :idea:

what makes me sad, because i'd enjoy test, is all my stuff is packed near spain, and i'm still blocked in Paris for years :x (and i'd need a second X68k, just in case the first one would crash...)
ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

What about Scorpius? :? (or am I thinking of the wrong computer)
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"