Viewpoint on X68000 impressions

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
No_not_like_Quake

Viewpoint on X68000 impressions

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

Found this rom awhile ago (fuck x68000 roms are hard to find), started to play it recently. It is not a perfect conversion. I've never played the Genesis version, but I'm sure this version is probably closer to that than the original Neo Geo version. The sound is only slightly better than a Genesis game, so the tunes and sfx are good but again not as good as the original. Graphically, some things are missing, like the water animation in stage 2. Even some of the enemies are not here, which directly affects gameplay. The gameplay, though, is quite excellent, with 4 difficulty settings and one difference that makes it less frustrating than the original version: instant respawn. The game is still quite challenging on higher difficulty levels and all the secondary weapons are available, though they don't look as good, especially the line of fire. Over still a great game if you liked the original Viewpoint. I think, however, that the x68000 could have handled a better conversion. Thumbs up, check it out if you have an x68000 .... or more likely check it out in emulation.
gameoverDude

Re: Viewpoint on X68000 impressions

Post by gameoverDude »

I've seen the x68000 one- it does look awful close to the Genesis version but with maybe a bit more color. The Genesis Viewpoint has some considerable slowdown- probably more than on the x68.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

gameoverDude wrote:I've seen the x68000 one- it does look awful close to the Genesis version but with maybe a bit more color. The Genesis Viewpoint has some considerable slowdown- probably more than on the x68.
I wasn't aware that there was an X68000. Intriging.

As for the Genesis release.. all things considered, it's something of a miracle that Sammy were able to squeeze what they did into that cart. However, I've always wondered how a Sega CD port would have faired, or a 32X cart, now that I think of it....
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Considering Lords of Thunder and Robo Aleste on the Sega CD look like cartridge games with CD sound (No, the Duo games don't look like Hucards with CD sound. Impressive stuff, the Super System card 3) I imagine a Sega CD port of Viewpoint would have only sported an FMV intro and CD sound. But that's it.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
No_not_like_Quake

Post by No_not_like_Quake »

gameoverDude wrote:I've seen the x68000 one- it does look awful close to the Genesis version but with maybe a bit more color. The Genesis Viewpoint has some considerable slowdown- probably more than on the x68.
True the X68000 version seems more colorful than a Genesis game, and I didn't notice any slowdown on X68000 emulator.