Rob's NES shooter countdown.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Rob wrote:
Turrican wrote:Not even the ricochet bullet option earns it a few positions? :?
Damn, wish I didn't overlook this. Much better alternative to simply increasing the difficulty. Would've easily hit the top 10.
hahahahah Image
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
TKGB_Mental_Gear

Post by TKGB_Mental_Gear »

Oh! I love Gun Nac. It's the easy man's Aleste. Though I kept dying. :(
Fan art by me, TKGB. New one every month. Click to enlarge and comment.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Ceph wrote:Coming from Rob, what other scores did you expect?
But I respect Rob's issue with Compile. He's a fair reviewer, not a boring troll (like Twiddle). :)
X - P - B
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Nuke wrote:Is it alright that I borrow your idea for a SMS shooter countdown Rob?
I was thinking of doing the same thing :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Sonic R wrote:
Nuke wrote:Is it alright that I borrow your idea for a SMS shooter countdown Rob?
Can I borrow your idea for a Turbo Grafx-16 countdown? A wonderful idea this is :D
That's one I definitely want to do. I've had all of the shooters downloaded and everything, but I wouldn't bother until much later this year or next year, so fair game. Can you do the CD games? Or maybe I could.

SMS - go for it! That should be a quick one, right?
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Rob wrote:
Sonic R wrote:
Can I borrow your idea for a Turbo Grafx-16 countdown? A wonderful idea this is :D
That's one I definitely want to do. I've had all of the shooters downloaded and everything, but I wouldn't bother until much later this year or next year, so fair game. Can you do the CD games? Or maybe I could.

SMS - go for it! That should be a quick one, right?
I could do the CD games :D I have all USA Turbo CD/Duo games and also have 6 import titles as well.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Doing only US-Turbo games is lame, cuz so many of the good titles wre never released in the US.

PlasmaBlooD has ALL PC-Engine shooters, maybe he should do the countdown. ;)
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

CIT wrote: PlasmaBlooD has ALL PC-Engine shooters, maybe he should do the countdown. ;)
:shock:
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

would anyone actually be interested in an MSX "countdown" ? If not I'll just go for the bigger mame project......
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Shatterhand wrote:would anyone actually be interested in an MSX "countdown" ? If not I'll just go for the bigger mame project......
i interested :D

btw, tnx Rob, this is one of best tread that i read there :lol:
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Don't want to be an asshole, but could we forget for a moment all the other amazing pieces of hardware and get back to NES shmups?

I mean, part of the coolness of this thread is because it doesn't happen often to have a comprehensive retrospective on NES games, by a Gigawing player no less. But if we just start discussing MSX, what's the point?

We'll have plenty of time to discuss PCE and the rest when someones come up with his own list. :)
X - P - B
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

CIT wrote:Doing only US-Turbo games is lame, cuz so many of the good titles wre never released in the US.

PlasmaBlooD has ALL PC-Engine shooters, maybe he should do the countdown. ;)
The thing is I only have ALL USA Turbo Grafx games and have only been able to import titles in the last 7 years :oops: and have picked up a few titles in that time across all console.

I am sorry I even suggest participate in this type of thing.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think most of the best PC-E shooters were brought over, of course the CD selection has (a lot) more gaps.

Back to the countdown soon, Turrican.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Turrican wrote:
Ceph wrote:Coming from Rob, what other scores did you expect?
But I respect Rob's issue with Compile. He's a fair reviewer, not a boring troll (like Twiddle). :)
I'm sorry nobody else liked R-Type Final. Actually, no I'm not.

(psst please review guardian legend next)
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Rob

Post by Rob »

17Chuka Taisen
ImageImage
Competent cutesy shooter with platformer-sized hitbox, samey stage layouts and decent (looking) bosses.

5/10

16Burai Fighter
ImageImage
Another entry in the then favored flying man multi-directional shooter. About as much personality as Section Z. I died for that second screenshot and it wasn't worth it.

5/10

15Hector 87
ImageImage
The masochist choice of NES shooters, no contest. I would like this game a lot more if it made appreciating the challenge a little easier. The lifebar is about good for nothing, often fully depleting in one or two hits, at which point you start the entire stage over. And there are no continues. Credit for an exciting first stage.

5/10
Rob

Post by Rob »

14Gun.Smoke
WANTED: the intensity of the original arcade game. Basically the same simple formula of left and right tilting fire while enemies swarm around (the lower portion of the screen). Apparently that's the only screenshot I took. Still better than most.

5/10

13The Guardian Legend [TGL mode]
ImageImage
There's something special about shooting stages when mixed with an inferior genre, but take them on their own and something is definitely missing. Although it does seem to have more action than Compile's other efforts of the time. Using an extra screen to switch weapons is a little awkward.

5/10

12Gyruss
ImageImage
Slightly reminiscent of Contra's forward-scrolling base stages, except in a full circle (not particularly evident in these screens). Very short stages with difficulty slow in coming, but Konami quality shines through. Surprisingly fun.

6/10

11SCAT
ImageImageImage
Another Side Arms type of game, this one with a Contra look. You can rotate and lock options in place, not quite spread shot. Bosses usually have a simple trick of small or no movements while the options do the work. Not bad.

6/10

TOP 10!
Last edited by Rob on Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Man I love this thread, you rock for doing it... it's one of the most entertaining threads in a while. Dare I say it's the thread ever. I'm gonna do a Game Boy 8-bit one soon... if I can stomach it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoGKzKhK_8Q

SCAT side by side with Final Mission. The japanese version. It had a much more dismal tone and a name in no way related to feces.
That is Galactic Dancing
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

I can't believe you gave Starship Hector such a decent score.

Hell, a 2/10 for that game is being generous.
Rob

Post by Rob »

No way. That game could've been a contender if the programmer didn't hate people so much.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

I <3 abadox :) I'm curious to see where that places in all of this (if any)
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Rob

Post by Rob »

10! Crisis Force
ImageImageImage
Its title screen says Konami, but its heart says C*mpile. In fact this game kind of creeps me out since it's like a compendium of past and future games. I'm reminded of just about every one of their games from Gunhed to Robo Aleste.

ImageImageImage
The icons in the top left corner? Uhh. A hit powering you down before destroying you, also Compile. Often not realizing what hit you. Compile. Gimmicky environment obstacles that look cool once at the expense of replayable game. Compile again. Decent game, but it's the graphics that got it here and barely.

6/10
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Now it is get exciting!

That is a very interesting perspective on Crisis Force. I am huge Compile fan and I am very much enjoy Crisis Force - but never think to look at it like that. Awesome!
I can't believe you gave Starship Hector such a decent score.

Hell, a 2/10 for that game is being generous.
I don't believe that you are rate Starship Hector well either. Better than Gun-Nac? Oops wait these are Rob rankings :wink:
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I didn't know SCAT, seems like a very good game.

Gyruss on NES rocks, they updated the Arcade version very well.

And I wouldn't talk about MSX games on THIS thread, I'd do it somewher else, obviously. This here is Rob's show only :)
FRO

Post by FRO »

CMoon wrote:
CMoon wrote:Is this community service for not releasing the port ever, or did you just lose a bet?

Edit: Honestly, this would be like asking me to review hip-hop albums. Who made you do this Rob?!!
It is at that point I want to say 'I told you so'. For what its worth, I admit it is sometimes really hard to go back from the newer shmups to the NES classics.
Sometimes, yes, but I still go back to the NES versions of 1943, Twin Cobra, Burai Fighter, and Fantasy Zone (for lack of an SMS) often. However, playing games like Star Soldier or Flying Shark can be downright painful.

Oh, and SCAT rocks. I play that still as well.
Rob

Post by Rob »

9! Adventures of Dino Riki
ImageImageImage
Adventures of DR feels a little bit closer to a PC-E shooter than most (it's a fine line) and feels satisfying despite how easy it is. Obviously Adventure Island-inspired, there are similar collection of enemies, power-ups (some hidden) and occasional platform jumping. The main drawback, as is the case for many NES shooters, is the quickness with which the bosses will fall.

6/10
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Shatterhand wrote:I didn't know SCAT
Ah, to be so blissfully ignorant.
FRO wrote:SCAT rocks.
Get help.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

:lol:
I was going for it, but you beat me to it.
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.
Rob

Post by Rob »

8!Gradius
ImageImageImage
Still a more than playable classic game, the series' most identifiable features are all here. Gradius has a surprisingly fair sized hitbox for the time. Doesn't seem to have changed much over the years, and the action can get pretty fast.

6/10
Jon

Post by Jon »

After your harsh reviews of Gun Nac and TGL :cry: I had fully expected you to have torn up the previously mentioned Abadox (another of my NES faves) by now Rob. No plans for that one?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Abadox!

7!Abadox
ImageImageImage
Abadox is a nice imitation of Life Force, but not completely bound by that game and a little harder. My favorite thing about it are the downwards scrolling vertical stages. It works well and feels fresh, also adds a sense of sinking into the depths rather than the more aggressive flying to a destination/escaping/whatever of typical verticals.

6/10

6!Life Force
ImageImageImage
The first auto-scrolling shooter I remember playing. It does side-scrolling stages a bit better than vertical. Stages often have some easy sequence/safe spot to remember and things turn a little too easy. Bosses are highly vulnerable to rapidfire. The soundtrack is enough to kick this one up a notch, though.

7/10