Rob's NES shooter countdown.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jon

Post by Jon »

You were kinder than I would have thought! Very cool that you included both Abadox and its obvious inspiration on the same post. The one aspect where I always thought Abadox outshined Lifeforce was in boss design. The final boss and those damned ghosts always drove me near insane though. :evil:

Keep it coming!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Rob... so according to you, the retardedly easy FC Gradius II outranks Life Force/Salamader? That's a bit of an odd shake-up.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't see Gradius II on this list!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

WHAT A TWIST!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Even forcing myself in your mindset, it's so obvious that Gun Nac and Crisis Force positions should've been swapped. First time I saw you falling for graphics, Rob.
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'll usually give a 1 pt. boost for great graphics/music, separates it from other decent games. Without it'd definitely be hanging around Gunnac's spot. Honestly the only standout games for me are the first 5-8 (especially the top 5).
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Rob wrote:I'll usually give a 1 pt. boost for great graphics/music, separates it from other decent games. Without it'd definitely be hanging around Gunnac's spot. Honestly the only standout games for me are the first 5-8 (especially the top 5).
Yeah, but you aren't great at detecting cool graphics. I mean, Gun-Nac has some of the most subtle ironic landscapes you'll ever get to see in a comedy shmup. You have a fire stage that actually puts you against matches and candles. How could you exchange that for some decent "destroyed city" background seen in Crisis Force is beyond me. Not to mention the music in Crisis Force is really nothing special.

With me as your art & visual supervisor your lists would be near flawless :lol:
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

How they animate is another thing, the screens don't look that great (for anyone comparing just by looking at them). I think the ruins in Crisis Force look near 16-bit in motion. Less repetition of the scenery than any other 8-bit shooter. And ruins are cool.

I've never been a fan of cute 'em up gags. I'm so used to seeing random objects floating around that I don't think much about them. I guess the fire stage is kind of cute.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Are you going to cover Insector X FC? It's a cute 'em up like the arcade one.
Gorecki

Post by Gorecki »

Any kind of "cute" should be kept away from any kind of "top 10". Continue Rob, it's been a great list!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Rob wrote:How they animate is another thing, the screens don't look that great (for anyone comparing just by looking at them). I think the ruins in Crisis Force look near 16-bit in motion. Less repetition of the scenery than any other 8-bit shooter. And ruins are cool.
Yeah, well, that's going for technical proficiency instead of sheer creativity... BUT, I concede that at least going with the former provides a little more objectivity than the latter.

Anyway, the fact remains, you preferring a compile-wannabe with flashy graphics to a genuine Compile says a lot about your inability to "get" their philosophy. :)

Speaking of which... I'm still half-convinced that all this thread of yours is a sort of joke to inform the community that you found a new love in your life, Zanac. I mean, it's clearly the only one left with enough depth to claim the first spot. I can't imagine you jumping on the Recca worshippers bandwagon. ^_^
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

Turrican wrote:I can't imagine you jumping on the Recca worshippers bandwagon. ^_^
Why is that? Just curious.
Are you going to cover Insector X FC? It's a cute 'em up like the arcade one.
I didn't even know it existed. Hate it.
Last edited by Rob on Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
szycag

Post by szycag »

If you can miss Gradius II, I'm just gonna start posting some games and giving them scores and stop worrying about what games I'm missing.
That is Galactic Dancing
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Rob wrote:
Turrican wrote:I can't imagine you jumping on the Recca worshippers bandwagon. ^_^
Why is that? Just curious.
Well, because I think voting Recca as first would be very fashion-oriented, since it's the "forgotten 8bit manic resurrected to light". Of course, Recca belongs in any top five, but I'd think you're the one who can value the whole A.I. system of Zanac... despite the very long stages, that is.
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

5!Battle Formula
ImageImageImage
This is the most unique game on the list, with a variety of obstacles that balance about evenly with shooting. The lifebar works like a lifebar should; only a few big attacks delivering the one-hit kill and allowing the game to have more action. And there's even a flying segment with some bullet patterns. Not very complicated, but more than five at a time.

AKA Super Spy Hunter, which probably puts off more than a few people. It's much more enjoyable than Spy Hunter.

7/10
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Turrican wrote:Well, because I think voting Recca as first would be very fashion-oriented, since it's the "forgotten 8bit manic resurrected to light". Of course, Recca belongs in any top five, but I'd think you're the one who can value the whole A.I. system of Zanac... despite the very long stages, that is.
I don't think Recca being in Rob's top 5 is "fashion-orientated" to use your term, since the game has a ton of merits that elevate if far beyond anything previously posted in this thread. Forgotten manic it may be, but if it wasn't for Chris Emirzian reviewing it many moons ago, we might not even know about it even to this day.

Where it places in Rob's top 5 is what interests me. If it isn't top, then the game(s) in question will have to be particular outstanding piece(s) of videogame design to knock it off number one.

Anyway, good show, Rob. Good thread. Had some twangs of nostalgia seeing some old NES faves popping up.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Icarus wrote:I don't think Recca being in Rob's top 5 is "fashion-orientated" to use your term
Nor do I. I wrote "I think voting Recca as first". I also wrote that it belongs to a top 5 by default.
Icarus wrote: if it wasn't for Chris Emirzian reviewing it many moons ago, we might not even know about it even to this day.

Indeed, kudos to him! (well, it would've been brought to light sooner or later, but still kudos for the great review).
Icarus wrote:Where it places in Rob's top 5 is what interests me. If it isn't top, then the game(s) in question will have to be particular outstanding piece(s) of videogame design to knock it off number one.
Call it a hunch if you will, but Recca fans tend to be very vocal about it. I guessed if Recca shows at #1, Rob would already have found a spot for it in his own top 25.
Last edited by Turrican on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

4!Terra Cresta
ImageImageImage
Initially looks like another Star Force type of generic spaceship shooter, but this is actually fun and has an enjoyable power-up system (in ship add-ons) that also act as a one time shield. The control is very smooth, shooting precise and rapidfire doesn't remove all challenge. All of which make it very much unlike 95% of the games here.

7/10
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

TERRA CRESTA
I had hopes this would show up despite the "selective with ports" policy. Sweet! :D

At this point I can predict that 1943 will be in the next three... Oh wait... Maybe Gradius II...

edit: wait... Twin Cobra at #3, I'm sure.
Last edited by Turrican on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
X - P - B
szycag

Post by szycag »

My chips are on 1943, he's a Strikers guy
That is Galactic Dancing
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

szycag wrote:My chips are on 1943, he's a Strikers guy
Yeah, but the Twin Cobra port turned out better. And it's still striker-ish enough. :)
X - P - B
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm disappointed in both of you.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Damn, I'll flail my back... What else is left? Legendary Wings?
X - P - B
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Turrican wrote:Damn, I'll flail my back... What else is left? Legendary Wings?
Fuzzical Fighter and Isolated Warrior, obviously.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Damocles wrote:
Turrican wrote:Damn, I'll flail my back... What else is left? Legendary Wings?
Fuzzical Fighter and Isolated Warrior, obviously.
Truth is, Rob discovered a rom of a Divine Sealing prequel for NES. Of course that won't be #3, but #1.
X - P - B
szycag

Post by szycag »

:roll:
That is Galactic Dancing
Rob

Post by Rob »

3!Gradius 2
ImageImageImageImage
Kiken wrote:Rob... so according to you, the retardedly easy FC Gradius II outranks Life Force/Salamader? That's a bit of an odd shake-up.
8/10
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Wooohoo! Vulcan Venture Love!
X - P - B
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Terra Cresta :roll:
I waited years to play this game (was in the back pages of the NES players guide copyright like 1988 - played it in 1992) and felt let down. Maybe because I was big in 16 shooties at the time and 8-bit was not cut it then.

Gradius II :D
I am really impress with the Famicom version. Its Gradius II with additions - kind of like Contra on the NES.

Now is time for the final 2....... anticipation is build up!

What are they be? Will Summer Carnival 92: Recca be here? ( I am hope so it is my ALL time favorite :wink: ) What will the other game be......?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I like Terra Cresta, I just find hard to believe something like thirty positions separe it from the game it owes everything to. All because Terra Cresta doesn't need a second button to hit ground targets, I take.
X - P - B