AVGN explains Silver Surfer shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Necronom

AVGN explains Silver Surfer shmup

Post by Necronom »

Haha, I seriously love his explanations of the extreme difficulty in this shmup. Never played it myself because I'm too lazy to download the rom right now but this must be the only Marvel themed shmup out there!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php? ... 0&type=wmv
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I saw that; it was LOL. Prolly my second favorite AVGN video. Everyone should also see the SEGA 32X and SEGA CD ones.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
shinsage

Post by shinsage »

Kinda odd he didn't mention the great soundtrack composed by Tim Follin. That guy was a genius when it came to making music on 8-bit systems.

But yeah, other than that SS is horrible. The game is just broken.

Anyone else get reminded of recap's avatar with the SS death screen?
Nate

Post by Nate »

I wouldn't say that it's "broken". Just cramped. I think the music made up for that though. What ever happened to Tim Follin? Seemed like he and his brother were credited in the inst. booklet iirc.

*edit* Oh, sorry shinsage basically that's what you said about the game.
szycag

Post by szycag »

People who work at game stores like to have sick fun with the uninitiated I think, because I remember someone talking this game up to me and my grandma when I was a kid. I mean he could have just been a big Marvel fan, but I swear to god it had to be some big inside joke to see how fast they could get somebody to return this game or something. Also when I was quite a bit older, maybe about 12, this guy was going on about ET for the Atari 2600. I think he was just stupid.
That is Galactic Dancing
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

The.....hardest.....NES game........ever! I never could get past a single stage. The AVGN is right about the difficulty. You need to experience it for yourself to knwo how fucking hard it is.

But the music is pretty good though. :)
Kyper

Post by Kyper »

Heheh, funny stuff. Looks like AVGN has switched brands...

After wasting a couple hours of my life and inducing a hand cramp, Silver Surfer doesn't seem too hard. It's definitely a memorizer, though. Recovering from checkpoints is pretty tough, but you also get a bomb to ease the situation. If you start off with an easy level (Reptyl or whatever it is), you can bring the powerups into the harder ones.

Playing so that you'll live long enough to hear the rad music also helps :D
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Obviously the AVGN needs to play more shmups.
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Obviously the AVGN needs to release more videos :D
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Damn, I was gonna make a thread about it! But then again I feared being stomped because people might hate the video. I think it´s one of the "looser" videos he´s making, with less analysis and more slapstick. I just adore his stuff.

@LUNardei, I read somewhere on his site that he already switched dayjobs to get the time to make videos more frequently.[/b]
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

I adore his stuff too, so great news ;)
I'm gonna watch "Bible games" again :lol:
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

"There´s so many obstacles it´s unbeli-- I CAN`T TOUCH THAT RED POT??"

I guess everybody can relate to this to at least some degree, mainly because he symbolizes the anger against badly designed games. I just hope he reviews Battletoads for the NES someday... that hoverbike part is the pinnacle of painful game design.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Oh it's just a heavy memorizer, fairly cheap level design and a lot of button mashing. I definitely cleared it a few times in the early '90s, maybe not on 1 credit. Check out the end of stage pic:

FWIW, at the "red pot" you can fly above the face.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Been playing this one a bit lately. The devs were true sadists - that section 2 of the lava stage where the lava guy gets stuck in the stalactite and makes a sad face, they know people were going pause and chuckle at that. So of course they put in a kill line intersecting the place you're most likely to be flying when it happens.

It's not too bad as far as Gradius clones go. The power-up system making the game easier the better you are was just the accepted design of those days. The Galaga style one button press one bullet system still makes it completely unplayable without autofire though.
szycag wrote:Also when I was quite a bit older, maybe about 12, this guy was going on about ET for the Atari 2600. I think he was just stupid.
ET does seem like this stupid incomprehensible garbage when you just try to go ahead and play it.

A couple years ago I actually bothered to learn how to play it, and was horrified to discover it is actually one of the best games on the console. I don't really mean that as praise - the standard of the library isn't high.

As soon as someone explains to you that the alien in question, Yoda, is a jedi with jedi powers like Force Sonar - the entire cube is turned upside down.
Austin

Re: AVGN explains Silver Surfer shmup

Post by Austin »

I'd say knowing what's coming up (or more so, not knowing on early playthroughs) and recovering from checkpoints are the toughest things about this game. Like it was mentioned in a post ages ago, you get a free bomb after every death and it's really important to use it. That'll ease you into recovering to your first power-up or two, then once you get there, it's smooth sailing.

The lack of auto-fire is mainly problematic when recovering. Even then you can only fire so quickly, so you should be tapering your shots anyway (just time the taps). That'll keep the hand from getting worn out. You can taper the shots even slower when fully maxed out, as the shots are so powerful they kill everything in one or two hits.

Recovering on the first of the final set of levels is by far the toughest for me. If I don't get that on the first try, it usually takes me having to re-learn the damn stage before I get through it again.