General youtube shmup thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ciox

Re: General youtube shmup thread.

Post by ciox »

Quick run of Psyvariar 2 in Cxbx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0oEp4FJ3hM

ImageImage
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beautiful Psy content as always Image
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

I had NO idea Xbox emulation was viable at this point. Cool! :o When I stopped using emulators they had just started figuring out PS1. Everything above that was just experimental alphas.
ciox

Post by ciox »

BIL wrote:Beautiful Psy content as always Image
Thanks, I hope to share more in the future. 8)
Starfighter wrote:I had NO idea Xbox emulation was viable at this point. Cool! :o When I stopped using emulators they had just started figuring out PS1. Everything above that was just experimental alphas.
Well I don't know about Xbox emulation in general, but Cxbx seems to run Psyvariar 2 with good performance and very little input lag, likely the best option for emulating it right now.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

I've only played the first psyvariar a bit. is the xbox version of 2 especially good compared to the other consoles?
ciox

Post by ciox »

pulsemod wrote:I've only played the first psyvariar a bit. is the xbox version of 2 especially good compared to the other consoles?
Graphics: the colors and effects are a little more lively on Dreamcast, while Xbox and PS2 have slightly higher res textures and better transparency, hard to say who wins
Gameplay: Xbox has less slowdown and replay mode, PS2 has training mode and tutorial missions

If you are using real hardware I think they're all pretty good and close to each other though, slowdown is not really important in this game. I've also heard that loading times are better on the Dreamcast.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

PROTO LINK, this was Twinkle Soft's last X68000 release:
https://youtu.be/jggNW-ALjSE
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Reposting my Raiden DX Expert 1-ALL here; felt like my 1st loop was fairly solid: https://youtu.be/Vt67GjldgeQ
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

maximo, with your recent clears of both Raiden II and DX, what's your opinion on their difficulty relative to each other? There seemed to be some perception that they were fairly close with II being a bit harder but I can't see how that could be true at all, DX seems much easier.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Lethe wrote:maximo, with your recent clears of both Raiden II and DX, what's your opinion on their difficulty relative to each other? There seemed to be some perception that they were fairly close with II being a bit harder but I can't see how that could be true at all, DX seems much easier.
The survival DX Expert clear does feel quite a bit easier than II for a few reasons:

- I think having the experience from learning II ( which took quite a while & I had to take some breaks in between to avoid run burnout) helped me more easily pick up a lot of DX's patterns. I know some players in the past have had issues with the altered tank spawns, but I think having a good fundamental understanding of tank behavior from other Toaplan games/Raiden I helps with this.
- Playing with the 2P ship ( faster horizontal movement & cluster bombs) along with a guaranteed "P" (full power) if fully powered up makes it easier to have good fluke/consistent runs vs II where you have to be a lot more meticulous about planning bombs & trying not to die before the final boss. You have a good chance of getting multiple P's for recovery if you can recover to full power after your first death ( even if there are some sections where respawning w/o missile or homing can make killing enemies a lot more difficult such as stage 5/8).
- Most bosses (besides 1/ the annoying bombs alongside stage 2 boss/ removal of stage 7 boss safespot) aren't as difficult as their II counterparts. Same goes with the durability of sniper tanks.
- Stages 6/7 aren't as difficult as their II counterparts ( especially the latter, since you don't have to rely on the inconsistent plasma laser & can stick with vulcan for the entire stage).

That being said, I still feel like DX Expert is a considerable step up from Raiden I, mostly due to the more complex enemy formations/positioning in stages & bosses, randomized power-up cycling, and you might chain-death if you die in the wrong section ( something that happened way more in II). I think the only way DX could possibly end up being up close or harder to II is extensive medal chaining or going for a no-miss/no-bomb run to access stage 9, but those are additional goals that go beyond the scope of a basic clear tbh.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I haven't done a proper description or added timestamps yet but the Mamorukun Curse 'Perfect Terror' DVD is up here if anyone wants to watch it:
https://youtu.be/Au94AOB3uWQ
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Guwange invincible boss glitch
Timeouts-only Guwange sounds like a good idea for an arrange hack.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Mills

Post by Mills »

https://youtu.be/kgIMDsGPA-4
From Electric Underground YouTube channel
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Galaga Arrange 1-ALL: https://youtu.be/C56GqAZdqLY
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Pretty good watch. Turbo fire rate obviously helps
Akashic

Post by Akashic »

Three years later I finally got around to finishing the Low% 1CC of ZeroRanger. Very happy with the run quality despite a few absolutely silly hits here and there. I didn't shy away from good scoring and didn't try to tank my dynamic difficulty seed for the sake of an easier run, and I got what is a good rank for the scoring restriction of not using any power ups. I could improve escape and could obviously clean up the silly hits but I'm proud enough to show this one off for now.

PS Grapefruit was a big jerk but it was a cool fight so I forgive her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-T_GK9iSI - ZeroRanger Low% (No Upgrades) 1CC Type B. Rank C+
marus

Post by marus »

After getting a chance to play the Touhou arcade game (Perfect Sakura Fantastica) for a day, I decided to grab the Steam game it was ported from (Fantastic Danmaku Festival 2). I've been having a lot of fun with the Extra mode, and recently got a no-miss no-bomb run, along with some basic scoring tricks! I uploaded it to Youtube with commentary if anyone wants to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ryXKHjAbe8

Here's also some additional resources if you're interested in learning the game. I'm also curious if anyone know of other resources since I can't find a lot on this game.
LYX playlist of high level runs
Scoring guide
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

marus wrote:After getting a chance to play the Touhou arcade game (Perfect Sakura Fantastica) for a day, I decided to grab the Steam game it was ported from (Fantastic Danmaku Festival 2). I've been having a lot of fun with the Extra mode, and recently got a no-miss no-bomb run, along with some basic scoring tricks! I uploaded it to Youtube with commentary if anyone wants to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ryXKHjAbe8

Here's also some additional resources if you're interested in learning the game. I'm also curious if anyone know of other resources since I can't find a lot on this game.
LYX playlist of high level runs
Scoring guide
I have Fantastic Danmaku Festival sitting in my Steam Library, only played a credit or two before. Maybe I should sit down and play it...
marus

Post by marus »

I think it's a fun game! The stages are a little bland, but the bosses have a lot of creative patterns. Also once you understand the scoring system a bit it's fun trying to manage your cherry borders too.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Daytona III arcade is streaming Giga Wing 2 right now for those who want to learn to score around 999 fucktillion or so. They don't archive anything so check it out before it's gone.

https://www.twitch.tv/warabi_daytona3?sr=a
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Very interesting Replay Burners posted today. It's Raiden Fighters, which rules, but unlike every other superplay out there which uses the secret Slave ship, this player (HUD) used the Raiden Mk II and picked the toothpaste laser. The slowest ship, one of the worst weapons. And still no-missed and scored 400 mil. I don't have a reason to believe it's a TAS, but they used EKMAME (Korean MAME? I don't know much about it), so who knows. Was still a fun watch because Raiden Fighters kicks ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4MkeUhhpFw

Reminds me of those ancient videos from Alamone recorded off of PCB. Arcade emulation has come a long way in 20 years.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ha, fond memories of Alamone's Ixion and Flying Ray runs from Jet & RF2 here too. Those still kick ass. :cool:
Mero

Post by Mero »

OmegaFlareX wrote: And still no-missed and scored 400 mil. I d.

Haven't watched but do you mean 40 million?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Mero wrote:
OmegaFlareX wrote: And still no-missed and scored 400 mil. I d.

Haven't watched but do you mean 40 million?
Yes, sorry. I thought I saw 9 digits but that's not the case. I suck at numbers.
Mills

Post by Mills »

marus

Post by marus »

I ended up playing some more Touhou Fantastic Danmaku Festival 2 recently, and got a 8.39 billion score in Extra mode! I think it's a WR since it beat LYX's score, although it's hard to say for sure since there isn't really a score tracker for this game. It's not really significant since not a lot of people play this game, but I'm still in a good mood :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOGuhouKhK4
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

FDF2 did seem to get some attention from high level players in its time - taking the record on that is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats!
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

marus wrote:I ended up playing some more Touhou Fantastic Danmaku Festival 2 recently, and got a 8.39 billion score in Extra mode! I think it's a WR since it beat LYX's score, although it's hard to say for sure since there isn't really a score tracker for this game. It's not really significant since not a lot of people play this game, but I'm still in a good mood :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOGuhouKhK4
That's an outstanding score! It's also the highest scoring replay I'm aware of.

Fortunately enough, and as CStarFlare has already hinted at, the game has received some attention from very dedicated players due to its recent arcade port. The currently highest score submitted for Extra mode played with Reimu is 8,834,095,930. You can find an overview of WR scores for this game in the STG Hall of Records.

Please keep in mind that the PC version has some scoring advantages over the arcade version due to, e.g. more lives for a greater end bonus.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
marus

Post by marus »

Oh that's wild, thanks! I've played the arcade version a tiny bit, but I didn't connect the dots and think to check the usual spots for arcade scores, haha. It's a shame there's no video though. 8.8 billion is a crazy score, especially considering the arcade version is stingier with lives which hurts your end of game bonus like you mentioned. Based on the end screen, it looks like DAS is getting about 9,000 more graze than me, which is crazy to think about. I'm pretty sure I can break 8.5 billion with my routes (and I want to shoot for that still), but I'd have to investigate and experiment more to push it much higher.