General youtube shmup thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Rob wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N57nZIdo_Q

Gradius V, another game I loathe.
?! The review doesn't sound like it.
I must be missing the irony...
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Nice review.

"People bitch n' bitch n' bitch cause there ain't no Maoi stage."
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ceph wrote:?! The review doesn't sound like it.
I must be missing the irony...
Rob hates everything, he just hates certain things less than others.

Btw, you forgot to mispronounce "Gradius." ;) (EDIT - Shoot, I'll hafta watch it again.)
Last edited by BulletMagnet on Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I did say Gray-dius once.
tviks

Post by tviks »

You sold the Gradius V crystal for 300 bucks? Shame on you. I have both crystal A and B and I will never sell either of them.

It's a shame I couldn't compete in the US competition since there was much cooler stuff to win.

Anyway, great review. I liked the: "I just go to Walmart and pick it up, no need to go to shmups trading forum or weird chinese sites". Yep. Gradius gets western releases because it's so good. :)
postman

Post by postman »

Anyone up for a little Salamander OVA action?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmQ9WzEUis
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Rob

Post by Rob »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQftMwX-vEo
Latest off the assembly line. A little different from the other ones, a 3 for 1 deal. Back to the manual camera work. I hate how random the video downgrading seems. Can't even make 1 thing out of the Lightening Force cover. Might as well be blank.
tviks wrote: You sold the Gradius V crystal for 300 bucks? Shame on you. I have both crystal A and B and I will never sell either of them.
Shame on me indeed. I regret it whenever I think about Gradius V, and since the cash is obviously long gone. Seemed like a good idea at the time. And couldn't ask for greater praise than that from the Gradius master. Thanks.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

you have pics of the crystals by chance? : )
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Hah, that's magic coincidence! :o
3 weeks ago i bought ZG2 (too bad what now my DC died T_T, i hope i can repair it ).
And today i going to bought TF4 (US version).

thanks again Rob, even if you hate all games, i like you reviews :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Still pushing the "lightening" thing, eh Rob? :lol: Didn't know hillbillies were so well-acquainted with them thar dictionaries. ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

P_HAT wrote:Hah, that's magic coincidence! :o
3 weeks ago i bought ZG2 (too bad what now my DC died T_T, i hope i can repair it ).
And today i going to bought TF4 (US version).
I think that streak is about to end. That's all I'll say.
BulletMagnet wrote:Still pushing the "lightening" thing, eh Rob? :lol: Didn't know hillbillies were so well-acquainted with them thar dictionaries. ;)
Haha, yep. I wasn't about to sacrifice it for the sake of staying in character. Youtube cut the video short by half a second and the last few frames should be the definition of lightening. Damn youtube.
stanski

Post by stanski »

Love the video reviews Rob, best video reviews on youtube by far :-).
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Rob you kick ass.

Love the accent. :)
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

I looked through your favourite videos, and found "Sega does what Nintendon´t".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluYCOu_9OQ

This could very well be the new Star Wars Kid. Same chubby appearance, same weird body language.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I've read most of Rob's posts for more than 2 years; then I hear the voice. Does not compute. I assumed you were verbally gifted, but... that's a special talent. Now I have to watch all of these, and soon.
professor ganson

OK, I watched through all of Rob's reviews and these are now my favorite videos on the internet. LOL funny and so cool to watch. I was one of those idiots who, after ten minutes of playing Thunder Force 2, asked "Wtf am I supposed to do?" It was interesting to see parts of Gradius 5 and Gunbird 2 that I have never-- never will- reach, mind-blowing parts. Like the asteroid belt in G5 or the level 6 boss in Gunbird 2. :shock:
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Needs more shmups.com shoutouts.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was one of those idiots who, after ten minutes of playing Thunder Force 2, asked "Wtf am I supposed to do?"
Haha. I had the same reaction the first time I played. It's the people who continue to struggle with the overhead stages after a number of plays I wonder about.
JoshF wrote:Needs more shmups.com shoutouts.
There are some mentions of the forum in the next few videos that I'll upload this weekend.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Rob is your accent real? Or is it forced? Ether way I was laughing my ass off watching your pro reviews. The part in the Zero Gunner2 review where you talk about the domestic dispute and the guy making macaroni was particularly funny. You should do some more pro reviews.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Haha. I had the same reaction the first time I played. It's the people who continue to struggle with the overhead stages after a number of plays I wonder about.
I was the one who could only get to the next part of the stage by running through the walls.
Rob is your accent real? Or is it forced?
It's fake of course. If you pisten closely you'll here him slip out of it a few times.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
professor ganson

Dale wrote:Rob is your accent real? Or is it forced? Ether way I was laughing my ass off watching your pro reviews. The part in the Zero Gunner2 review where you talk about the domestic dispute and the guy making macaroni was particularly funny. You should do some more pro reviews.
Yeah, I also thought the part about how you can buy Gunbird 2 (or was it Gradius 5?) at Walmart was lol-funny.

Best explanation: that's Rob in character. Though this explanation does require us to suppose that Rob's a talented actor. In either case, the person in the reviews is someone I'd definitely want to hang out with.

That Gradius V competition was a very cool thing. I bought Gradius V the day it came out, but I didn't notice mention of the competition in the manual. (Not that I would have competed.) Was the old shmups forum around at the time of the competition? Was there a lot of talk about it? I remember reading an interesting interview with the three winners a couple years back-- tviks, kiken, and rob (iirc). That's probably still around somewhere for those who want to read it.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Professor, it's supposed to be a joke; I'm certain Rob's real articulation is more refined. And yes, I was very interested in his voice as well and shocked for a moment before I got the joke.
professor ganson

Ceph wrote:Professor, it's supposed to be a joke; I'm certain Rob's real articulation is more refined. And yes, I was very interested in his voice as well and shocked for a moment before I got the joke.
Yeah, sorry. In this case I certainly believe the best explanation, namely, that it's a joke. I don't rule out the possibility that this is Rob's usual way of talking, but I think it highly unlikely. Extremely unlikely, in fact, given everything I know about Rob. But I won't go as far as you and say I'm certain. But, then, I'm a bit overly guarded about what I regard as certain. I'm certain that 1+1=2. And I'm nearly certain that I'm not a bomb.
Rob

Post by Rob »

professor ganson wrote:Was the old shmups forum around at the time of the competition? Was there a lot of talk about it?
I think this was around September 2004, so near the end of the last version of the board. I remember using the temp. shmups forum to link to the VV crystal on ebay (Konami took months to send out the prizes). Can't remember much discussion on the forum during the comp. but I think I recall one thread. I did more discussion about it on a smaller board where one of the other winners (DarkWolf7 for type 4) was posting.
Rob

Post by Rob »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Hhjy9dQDw

Gun Nac redone for Turrican. This deserved a lot more praise than I gave it in the NES thread (which was none). Some of the most fun I've had with a game this year.
professor ganson

Rob wrote: Some of the most fun I've had with a game this year.
Couldn't believe my eyes this Sunday morning when I read that one. Then I couldn't believe my eyes when I was watching the video. I didn't know Gunnac could do that.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Yeah but Rob, where do you rescore it now?

EDIT: I read the +3 points, n/m

Gun Nac is the cute em up ever
That is Galactic Dancing
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Rob, you should mention it in your NES thread, for future generations.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

IIRC you don't even have to shoot in 90% of MUSHA even on hard

I'd give it a +.5 for having an ability to make the game not suck but not any more.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Goddamn I love you Rob. The Gerber shit in Thunder Force made me lol at a video for the first time in a while. Props.