General youtube shmup thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: General youtube shmup thread.

Post by Steven »

I will be streaming Kyuukyoku Tiger on Game Center Mikado's Youtube channel (the main one, I think, not the secondary channels) on July 9th. Tentative time is 2000 JST. Hopefully I will not embarrass myself too much.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

This game is nonsense. lol
BIL

Post by BIL »

I know right :lol: Still uh "love" it though, it's the OST tbh :cool:
Steven wrote:I will be streaming Kyuukyoku Tiger on Game Center Mikado's Youtube channel (the main one, I think, not the secondary channels) on July 9th. Tentative time is 2000 JST. Hopefully I will not embarrass myself too much.
Whoa, nice. :o Image
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Thought this was wild. A 5 hour, 23 all of Hishouzame. The sheer endurance required to do this is impressive.

https://youtu.be/JIW3HEmKqM4
Steven

Post by Steven »

BIL wrote:
Steven wrote:I will be streaming Kyuukyoku Tiger on Game Center Mikado's Youtube channel (the main one, I think, not the secondary channels) on July 9th. Tentative time is 2000 JST. Hopefully I will not embarrass myself too much.
Whoa, nice. :o Image
We'll see lol. Will I ROCK THE SHOOTING!!! or get shot down? I'm not sure yet and I have never streamed a game before, but I have been playing the game a lot recently and I'm able to get the clear somewhere around 50% of the time now. I'm just going for a clear with a decent score, so anything after that is just a bonus. I've got about 2 or 3 clears at Mikado, including another one last night, so I think I should be okay. Ikeda-san and I will both do commentary in Japanese, but during the second half of the game I will probably have to focus on playing instead of talking.

Compared to my old clear replay, I have recently changed a few minor things (mostly the stage 5 Otakebi field), cleaned up almost all of the sloppy parts, and figured out how to insta-kill the stage 1 boss on the second loop safely (just last night at Mikado by coincidence, actually), but it will be largely identical, so it probably won't be all that exciting. The biggest difference is that Mikado does not have 10Hz autofire, just 30Hz, so I will be firing manually for most of the run. That's fine, as I have about 4 clears without any autofire at all now.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Best of luck! It sounds intense, but it also sounds like you've got a grip on things. Either way, streaming at Mikado is super cool. :smile:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Thought this was wild. A 5 hour, 23 all of Hishouzame. The sheer endurance required to do this is impressive.

https://youtu.be/JIW3HEmKqM4
Jesus. :shock: Deserves more likes, that.
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Did Raiden IV Arcade Original 2-ALL. Interesting safespot at 41:06 btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_i-D3FatUY
marus

Post by marus »

I've been grinding more Touhou Fantastic Danmaku Festival II's Extra Mode, and I just got a big PB of 8.90 billion! This is a less "clean" run than my previous PB in that I make more mistakes, but I figured out some new strats that really pushed up my score potential. 9 billion is definitely doable, and if I perfectly executed all my strats I could more or less "tie" DASI's arcade WR (once you adjust for PC scoring).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1859467370

I won't do a full annotated upload for this since I don't really consider this run "complete" yet, so here's a quick overview of the major strat changes for anyone who's interested:
  • During Old God Revival of Horror (Yukari's 2nd spellcard), you can sit on the top of the screen to supergraze it. This is risky and a bit RNG dependent since bullets will spawn really close to you and you don't have a lot of time to react, but it lets you get an additional level 3 border and builds a ton of graze and MaxPoint.
  • I adjusted the timing of the bomb I do at the start of the run to let me abuse the invincibility frames you get whenever a border starts. That plus getting closer to enemies lets you build more graze and MaxPoint. The enemies at the start of the run spawn randomly so this is a bit inconsistent, but since this all occurs during the first minute it's not too bad to just keep restarting until you get a good pattern.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Kyuukyoku Tiger stream time has been decided: 2000 JST on Mikado's Youtube channel on the 9th.

Hopefully I will not suck miserably. I have not been playing for 2 or 3 weeks and I am still wildly inconsistent at this game; on Wednesday I no autofire no missed all the way to the stage 9 boss, but last night at Mikado I game overed on stage 8. Some days I can do really well and on other days I will do super terribly, so hopefully I decide to not be terrible next week.

Well, I just played the game and I did just fine, so I'm not sure why the fuck I am so inconsistent whenever I play at Mikado. Maybe Mikado's difficulty setting is higher than normal.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Hy friends,

Small request: please link some vids with pcb runs of Futari 1.5 Ultra, played with Palm Normal and Palm Abnormal.
Pcb vids of Ultra Reco are easier to find, but Palm seems to be a different story.

Thanks so much!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Abnormal Palm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znp5zrwtAsM
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1PE411r7WJ?p=5

I don't think I've ever seen Normal Palm videos. Ab Reco and Normal Palm seem like they're bad enough that people only really went after them on the port (where practice options are better and runs are free).
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

CStarFlare wrote:Abnormal Palm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znp5zrwtAsM
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1PE411r7WJ?p=5

I don't think I've ever seen Normal Palm videos. Ab Reco and Normal Palm seem like they're bad enough that people only really went after them on the port (where practice options are better and runs are free).

Thank you so so much! It's exactly what i was looking for.
The vids are amazing quality and extremely helpful to me!

Indeed, it seems that Reco Normal and Palm Abnormal were the first choices for superplayers in Ultra mode.

Have a great day!
Steven

Post by Steven »

I got the clear on the stream somehow. After I finished loop 1, Ikeda-san was like "dude you should do loop 2 with yellow", so I tried it. That ended about as well as you'd expect, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out... for now.

I will never be done with this game because I love it way too much to not play it, but I am probably going to take a break from it for a while, especially since Zero Wing, Hellfire, and Horror Story are releasing in 10 days and 10 minutes. I'll probably do more Toa streams at Mikado again in the future, although I am not sure when and what they will be.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Steven wrote:I got the clear on the stream somehow.
I just watched it, well done!
Spoiler
Really great recovery on stage 8. I was on the edge of my seat.
Some people in chat were complimenting your Japanese skills. Do you get that a lot?
Mills

Post by Mills »

Insane run with crazy bullet hell grazing throughout stage 3 and beyond.
https://youtu.be/DlunVyGBpkg

Crazy to think the possibilities with Tool Assist.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Steven wrote:I got the clear on the stream somehow. After I finished loop 1, Ikeda-san was like "dude you should do loop 2 with yellow", so I tried it. That ended about as well as you'd expect, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out... for now.
Just watched this also, good job on the clear.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Steven wrote:I will never be done with this game because I love it way too much to not play it
It shows in how you play it. I really enjoyed watching the stream, good job.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Steven wrote:I got the clear on the stream somehow. After I finished loop 1, Ikeda-san was like "dude you should do loop 2 with yellow", so I tried it. That ended about as well as you'd expect, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out... for now.

I will never be done with this game because I love it way too much to not play it, but I am probably going to take a break from it for a while, especially since Zero Wing, Hellfire, and Horror Story are releasing in 10 days and 10 minutes. I'll probably do more Toa streams at Mikado again in the future, although I am not sure when and what they will be.
That's truly amazing! A clear of one of your favorite games live on stream at a world renowned arcade while speaking a foreign language and getting praised for both your playing skills and language ability.

Mega congrats!
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks everyone. It was all pretty good until I died on stage 10, which was very worrying; I can't see anything on the first half of the stage because the small, fast bullets blend in with the sand on the beach, so I'm basically playing that section without being able to see any of the enemy shots at all. If you die on the second half you're basically screwed unless you really practice A LOT, but I died one checkpoint before that point, so I was able to recover on that stage for the first time. I did try to go backwards there with the suicide, but it seems that you might not be able to do that at that point. I know how to recover against the stage 10 boss, but so far I have not been able to actually do it. More practice required.
Steven wrote:I am probably going to take a break from it for a while
lol nope, didn't happen. I played it like an hour after I typed this and yesterday afternoon and again last night. I will be unable to escape this game forever and I have no problem with that since it's so good. Everyone who doesn't play this game really should go play it. It really is that good.
OmegaFlareX wrote:Some people in chat were complimenting your Japanese skills. Do you get that a lot?
Eh, it doesn't really mean anything. They'll say that if you can do so much as stumble through putting three or four words together lol. In my case I can't do the accent correctly at all and it sounds terrible. It's generally good enough, but I do want to work on it and improve.
marus

Post by marus »

I took a quick break from Touhou Fantastic Danmaku Festival II to play... Fantastic Danmaku Festival 1 lol. I managed an Extra Mode score of 641,259,000 points! This run isn't exactly optimized, but I haven't seen any scoring videos for this mode so I figure this can serve as a good starting point if anyone else wants to try scoring (or for when the Exa port comes out).

Unfortunately this game really puts a strain on my eyes due to everything being red and all the bloom, so I probably won't play too much more of this. There's still some fun bullet patterns though. Who knows if I'll ever play the Exa version, but hopefully they fix the bullet visibility when that comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKMbY1A8pkM
Mills

Post by Mills »

pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Mills

Post by Mills »

https://youtu.be/2gZLaMpttV4?si=O-oHsonfgKuTz98T
Seriously impressive run. Not sure what he does at the start but the speed of the bullet hell is crazy fast like Psikyo with CAVE bullets
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Isn't it "just" kakusei mode? Like with Espgaluda 1? When the gems run out during kakusei the bullets turn red and go very fast.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Nah, they're actually referred to by distinct names to distinguish what state you're in:

Normal Mode: enemies fire blue bullets
Kakusei Mode: enemies fire purple bullets, your gem meter counts down
Kakusei Over Mode / Overmode: if you're in Kakusei when the gems run out then this happens, enemies fire red bullets at high speed, rank increases over time (much faster if you stop shooting), high rank means more green gems in Normal mode, rank resets if you die

Espgaluda 2 makes two tweaks:

Kakusei Over Mode / Overmode: rank will never decrease even if you die
Kakusei Zetsushikai / Zesshikai: activated by holding the Kakusei button until you hear a distinct noise, requires both gems and gold to activate, if gold runs out you'll shift to the standard Kakusei mode iirc, if gems run out you shift to Over Mode, enemy bullets that are cancelled spawn new bullets and the multiplier has a much higher maximum, meaning you need to use this to get truly high scores, but it's also extremely dangerous to use (and means scoring is way more complicated as any time you just use the normal Kakusei you're compromising on scoring, it's an unnecessarily complicated addition I think but I guess it keeps the game interesting for crazy score attacking as the skill ceiling is much higher).

It looks like that video is an Over Mode run, i.e. you deliberately play the entire game in Over Mode which is nightmarishly hard.

Sapz managed to get a 1cc playing like this and I remember watching it and other impressive clears but he's since deleted his YouTube channel it seems (anyone knows what happened to him?).
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

Thanks for the clarification! It'll be useful for me when I'm trying out Espgaluda 2 (got it on a Switch sale recently!) later this year. I've heard it can be a bit confusing at first but I plan to read up on it as much as I can before jumping in. :)
Mills

Post by Mills »

Same here about the game. Never seen any runs in this mode until now. I was just randomly looking at some YouTube runs and that video popped up.
DMC

Post by DMC »

My Great Mahou Daisakusen run with commentary on Youtube, if I may cross-post from the hi score thread.
I collect all 108 items and talk about scoring and some general Raizing stuff.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Recently picked up the Psyvariar Appreciate DVD & ripped both runs to Youtube:
Psyvariar Medium Unit by Yuseumi-SWY: https://youtu.be/e6johCB8aXg?si=2wopMILWHpzvI-yH
Psyvariar Revision by GFA2-ISO: https://youtu.be/Zvjg4qHiKlM?si=Zg_ejABOjvJ1FY2N