General youtube shmup thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Oh, and here are pics of Rob's swag from that competition, from another board (that's Rob btw):
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/show ... tcount=411
Rob

Post by Rob »

Awesome, thanks. I was trying to find one of the pics I had taken of the crystal, but completely forgot to check TNL.
tviks

Post by tviks »

Oh dammit. It's been almost 3 frigging years and I'm still bitter at the injustice of the competition. :( Did you really deserve all that, Rob? Oh well, the Grand Prize Winner got even more stuff, who the hell was that anyway?
Rob

Post by Rob »

tviks wrote:Oh dammit. It's been almost 3 frigging years and I'm still bitter at the injustice of the competition. :( Did you really deserve all that, Rob? Oh well, the Grand Prize Winner got even more stuff, who the hell was that anyway?
Haha and I gave or sold it all away. Alamone got the grand prize. And here I was bitter that he and others were playing the import before the comp. I got pretty close in the limited amount of time I had (within a level or two), but the scores definitely were a lot lower than in the other regions due to the much shorter time. Longer and I would've slipped right off of the charts I'm sure.

Just judging the US comp., the other type-2 players got screwed. I felt guilty about getting a first prize above a few type 2 people. Some people in type 3 got first prizes for much less effort.
Last edited by Rob on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
tviks

Post by tviks »

Yeah, but my point is that I was the #1 person on every region's chart, so I should've won the best prizes there were. Wouldn't you agree? :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

US got the best prizes? I know Alamone sold his grand prize, too.

We're all ingrates.
tviks

Post by tviks »

Heh, just shows your disregardness for Gradius. Therefore, you never should've gotten any prize stuff in the first place.

Who the hell would just sell all that cool stuff away, I mean come on. Money is just temporary and you can always get more of it.
Rob

Post by Rob »

On top of everything I probably used the money to buy Chaos Field.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

ughhhhhh
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
tviks

Post by tviks »

Just keep twisting the knife.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

haha...a memorizer. You bush wannabe : P
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Rob wrote;
US got the best prizes? I know Alamone sold his grand prize, too.

We're all ingrates.
I've gotta admit I was a bit shocked when Super Laydock told me that Mr Rob had sold his crystal :o .

tviks is right, money comes and goes. I kept mine.
Apologies for the blurry pic.
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

Rob wrote in his youtube review wrote:mem'o·riz'er n. 1. Instead of dodging cool bullet patterns you have to remember to move under the robot foot the second time it lifts up.
That's actually a pretty good explanation!

I love how sudden your reviews start and end. Keep up the funny work.
MA7

Post by MA7 »

I was in a bookshop today which had a massive display promoting some Gordon Ramsey book, which has his face splashed on the cover. My first thought was, 'Rob'. Too much time on the shmups forum......

The reviews are top notch. I'l get round to buying Zero Gunner 2 as a result :)

Cheers yo
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

MA7 wrote:I'll get round to buying Zero Gunner 2 as a result :)
wise choice indeed. that game is a seriously good time.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Rob

Post by Rob »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd0ULi6zOt8

Worst of shooting games, volume 1. I need to make the recording part a little easier, having some troubles with the capture card (see horrible looking R-Type Delta review). Emulator .avi recording is nice.
msm

Post by msm »

Rob wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd0ULi6zOt8

Worst of shooting games, volume 1. I need to make the recording part a little easier, having some troubles with the capture card (see horrible looking R-Type Delta review). Emulator .avi recording is nice.
hilarious, and the other reviews are funny and informative - nice combination :)
postman

Post by postman »

Rob - I just bought a GameBridge and it works wonders - just plug your RGB cords into it and play the console right on the PC monitor, and it even has a built in recording system. Only 10 bucks plus shipping on Ebay, works great for me so far.....
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

That's not RGB you're using there.
postman

Post by postman »

Sorry - Yellow/White/Red AV cords - I'm at work and not thinking at the moment........
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Rob: I love your Mars Matrix videos. Ion Dissonance and Melt Banana complement the game so perfectly. Maybe they should score their next game to tech metal?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

So the game at the end with the dinosaur boss and colorful birds is D-Force? That game is always at my local game shop for $2.50 and no one wants it. Now I see why. I love the line about how the birds aren't harming anything-- maybe I need to show this in my course on animal ethics.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

dammit i'm getting jealous of people who own this game again.
Rob

Post by Rob »

DJ Rectal Prolapse wrote:Maybe they should score their next game to tech metal?
Yeah, I think that would work nicely. I also think they could do a lot of creative things with music other than electronic. That is overdone. When I finally finish Mars Matrix's stage 6 strategy/video I will have a hard time choosing the song. With those videos I just went with some things I had around on the computer, without too much thought.
professor ganson wrote:So the game at the end with the dinosaur boss and colorful birds is D-Force?
Yeah, that is D-Force.
Rob

Post by Rob »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIHAgvqWJc

Someone's video of the Super Aleste ricochet bullet-style mode. Are there any other Compile games with modes like this?
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

I'd like to see Rob do a review of Fire Shark for Genesis sometime, that is if he likes the game. :)

Personally I love the game myself.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Rob wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIHAgvqWJc

Someone's video of the Super Aleste ricochet bullet-style mode. Are there any other Compile games with modes like this?
I know for sure that Gun-Nac and GG Aleste have a similar mode. Edit: Just checked Blazing Lazers. No ricochet on god of game difficulty. Edit 2: Power Strike II SMS also has a ricochet mode, accessed in a similar way to Super Aleste, going left on the difficulty on the options screen.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Rob wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIHAgvqWJc

wow, that game looks fun now. :o
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bloodreign wrote:I'd like to see Rob do a review of Fire Shark for Genesis sometime, that is if he likes the game. :)

Personally I love the game myself.
Nope, no Toaplan ever. I wish I had enough enthusiasm to do other reviews for things I don't necessarily like, but I don't. I've tried and it turns out pretty miserable.