Touhou 10 - Fuujinroku (Mountain of Faith)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

Well, went and gave Embodiment of Scarlet Devil another try, and I remembered part of WHY I had stopped playing these: Because they dont seem to recognize the 360 controller's Dpad at all; previously, I'd been forced to use the analog stick (blah).

But, I now have a program that fixes that, so, got a good deal more enjoyment out of it this time.

Definitely easier than what Im used to, but still challenging to hold my interest. Messing with it on Hard mode this time around..... The 4th stage is definitely the most annoying in this one. I'll get the hang of it, though.

Apparantly I have 4 games from this series on here..... I kept forgetting about them.....
Knoskoloz

Post by Knoskoloz »

The game is quite fun if you are into touhou games ;)
Just do everything to prevent your chain from decreasing (if you can't collect green items or shoot enemies fire a bomb and remaining bullets will become green items). Not THAT much of an scoring system just a normal no death+chaining system.
Also normal is quite easy yes, hard is by far the better choice.
Taco Pirates!
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Anyone else really like the weapon selection in this game? Methinks he finally figured out what works and dropped the rest.
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

Damocles wrote:Anyone else really like the weapon selection in this game? Methinks he finally figured out what works and dropped the rest.
Yup, the first time the selection is very clear for me (as a non-japanese speaker) and after a few tries I could easily make out my favourite. I've been playing this a lot lately and after checking back to the older ones I have to say that this one is by far the best. It might be too easy for some of you but I think lunatic still does the deal. I'm short before 1cc'ing the demo on hard (after several hours of training, please don't laugh) and I'm looking forward to the full release. Any info on when it will be out?
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

RotateMe wrote:Any info on when it will be out?
First pressing of the shop version is supposed to be mid-September. palet appears still to be accepting advance orders and has it listed as 21/09, though whether that's their guess or a confirmed delivery date I've no idea. Assuming it doesn't break with series tradition, there'll probably be a retail patch a while after release. I assume Himeya will also stock it once it's out, as they usually keep the others available.

Re: scoring, I guess shoe-sama's on drugs, trolling because ZUN ran over his cat, or some such. The glacially sedate pace is a common and reasonable enough complaint (though obviously a matter of taste, and 10 seems faster-paced, anyhow, sort of like an alternate-universe sequel to 6), but 'lol there's no scoring system' not so much. 7 and 8 are fairly convoluted, on the overly fussy side by a lot of people's standards, if anything. 'How do I get lots of points?' is an easier question to answer than 'how exactly does it work?', but that's hardly unusual. 6 is simpler, but emphatically not no-miss, no-bomb, considering high scoring paths require using as many bombs as possible to cancel dense bullet formations for points. 10 I've seen only the demo, but it looks like a fair bit of bombing to maintain the point item value chain is intended.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

i lol'd when I got to the part about bombing for points
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

I guess you hate Garegga and Ibara too?

Best way to maintain your chain in this game is to pick up items slowly instead of hopping over the pickup line. That decreases the value of some of the pickups, but should help in the long run really.

You can bomb in some strategic places to get tons of item points (like on some boss phases), but I don't really know if that nets you more points in the long run than not. You only get small point pickups for the bullets you null with a bomb... you get big point pickups for killing a boss at Max Power. During the stage you definitely can do some interesting things, because you can bomb and kill an enemy that drops a big power increase. Hop over the line and you have max power again.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

You get penalized for bombing.

Lose some digits off your faith meter or w/e it's called and have to waste sacrifice some pickups that would've appeared as mini faith items or score items at full power.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
VorpalEdge

Post by VorpalEdge »

Bombing was definitely not a penalty in the demo. I still bomb in some places in the real game, even if I have no idea whether or not it actually helps (why hello, stage 2 end fairy thing).

I'd be willing to bet it still helps a lot on lunatic though.
Veracity

Post by Veracity »

shoe-sama wrote:You get penalized for bombing.

Lose some digits off your faith meter or w/e it's called and have to waste sacrifice some pickups that would've appeared as mini faith items or score items at full power.
As I said, all I have on 10 is speculation based on the demo, from which it appeared bombing is penalized lightly enough that it'll sometimes be optimal; the pirates playing the C72 release also seem to think so from what early chatter I've read. It's 6 that encourages lobbing every bomb you can get, including extras from suiciding, into bullet clouds, even at the cost of some comically low spell card capture bonuses. Whether it's intentional or just ill-thought-through bonuses I don't know: it certainly lacks the obvious and immediately-accessible elegance of something like Ibara Arrange's build up/cash in cycle. From the random mish-mash of features you referred to, I took you to be talking about the series as a whole. There are certainly sensible reasons to dislike it (and to dismiss all doujin developers out of hand, for that matter); it's just in the specifics that you're talking patent bollocks, and I thought it'd be kind of a pity if anyone were to be put off by it.
PC Engine Fan X!

I get error message upon excution of MoF demo...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

This is the error message that I get upon excution of this Mountain of Faith demo:

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_31.dll was not found. Re-stalling the application may fix this problem."

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Veracity wrote:As I said, all I have on 10 is speculation based on the demo, from which it appeared bombing is penalized lightly enough that it'll sometimes be optimal; the pirates playing the C72 release also seem to think so from what early chatter I've read. It's 6 that encourages lobbing every bomb you can get, including extras from suiciding, into bullet clouds, even at the cost of some comically low spell card capture bonuses. Whether it's intentional or just ill-thought-through bonuses I don't know: it certainly lacks the obvious and immediately-accessible elegance of something like Ibara Arrange's build up/cash in cycle. From the random mish-mash of features you referred to, I took you to be talking about the series as a whole. There are certainly sensible reasons to dislike it (and to dismiss all doujin developers out of hand, for that matter); it's just in the specifics that you're talking patent bollocks, and I thought it'd be kind of a pity if anyone were to be put off by it.
I've noticed the point value of things seems to change pretty heavily between difficulties too... so it might be useful or not at all on different difficulties as well. Doesn't seem like bombing will be useful most of the time at all generally... but it's still a possibility in some places. However, there are probably going to be times when it will be impossible for you to hit the border line to pick up everything on the screen, at which point bombing actually helps your score quite a bit. On Normal, one big green pickup is worth more than you lose for a bomb, so it seems like bombs will be able to help at least a bit there. Ideally you'd want to get everything from the Border Line when you can though.

Also, does it seem there are some enemies which drop powerups even when you are at max power? I swear I've seen a few that do.

PC Engine - You probably need the latest DirectX9c. They put out new versions every month or so. It should be from June and named 'directx_jun2007_redist.exe'.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

This game is indeed the easiest Touhou game so far. I've 1CC'd the full version on Normal with Reimu-A on the second day after the release (go piracy), yet I still have to do the same to EoSD and PCB (I've come very close, though). Hard mode is where challenge begins, especially starting from stage 4, as usual with Touhou games.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Danny

Post by Danny »

The game has officaly been released on Palletweb today and they have dispatched my order so I should be getting this within a week or so, can not wait! :)
postman

Post by postman »

For PC's error:

http://www.dll-files.com/

Just go there, download the missing file, and install it, I have to do this for a handful of doujin shmups.......should work after that....
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

@postman:

all i do for the doujins to work in my PC, its set it up as a japanese one, and thats it ... no problems AT ALL with any of them, i just install them, and enjoy them w/o the need of any additional files... but, i must admit that every 6-12 months, i update the DX libs, and maybe the VGA drivers. nothing else.

just my 2 cents.
zimeon

Post by zimeon »

You don't reallly get penallized for bombing. You lose 1 power when you bomb, that is 20 power items that on Normal are worth 100 faith each = 2000 potential faith. Compare that to a faith item that's worth 5000. Bombing is worth it if only to get one (1) Faith item that you'd else lose.

Then again, don't bomb too much…
Enthusiasm without skill