shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:00 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 517
I started playing Blue Wish again because I want to play it properly. I'm not good at Hell mode sadly. I can get up to stage 3 before I start dying but I think it's beyond me. I can hit stage 5 on one credit in original though. Most of my deaths lately have been slippery movement. Game feels sort of sensitive for me. I feel like if I give it a good grind, I could actually clear this soon.

(Please god tell me going into stage 2 with 3.4 mil is a good start so I know I'm playing this game right...)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 4638
Location: Southern Ontario
I got a new PB in Donpachi, making a bit of progress into the loop. Got to 2-4, but it's really hard, the S3 boss is a lot more aggressive and fast...
_________________
YouTube VideosTwitch1CCsSideLine game guide


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 598
i wish the donpachi second loop didnt have revenge bullets
_________________
Image
web site


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:21 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 4638
Location: Southern Ontario
Same. I actually lose steam once I get in the second loop because I find it boring compared to DDP, everything does the exact same thing, fires giant clouds of revenge bullets...
_________________
YouTube VideosTwitch1CCsSideLine game guide


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:50 am 



Joined: 03 Mar 2020
Posts: 98
XoPachi wrote:
I started playing Blue Wish again because I want to play it properly. I'm not good at Hell mode sadly. I can get up to stage 3 before I start dying but I think it's beyond me. I can hit stage 5 on one credit in original though. Most of my deaths lately have been slippery movement. Game feels sort of sensitive for me. I feel like if I give it a good grind, I could actually clear this soon.

(Please god tell me going into stage 2 with 3.4 mil is a good start so I know I'm playing this game right...)

Are you playing BWR+? Survival can be kind of sink or swim in Plus thanks to survival-focused scoring + every extends. Build up your consistency on the first few stages and you should get enough resources to clear. There's also a massive difference in difficulty between Wait on/off runs, especially Hell where the slowdown is extreme (Hell with Wait on isn't that much harder than Original IMO, more crap on the screen = more score = more extends and it's still all aimed at you). Non-Plus is a nightmare by comparison: there are only two score extends and you have to fight the TLB every run.
3.4mil after stage 1 Original is about typical if you're not milking cancels or tick points.

I've also often felt this game was a bit "slippery". I seem to go from safe to making an easy-looking movement and suddenly exploding. It might be to do with the hitboxes - I think Prales mentioned during his Shmup Slam 3 run that he thinks they're asymmetrical or something.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:36 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 517
Lethe wrote:
[Are you playing BWR+? Survival can be kind of sink or swim in Plus thanks to survival-focused scoring + every extends. Build up your consistency on the first few stages and you should get enough resources to clear. There's also a massive difference in difficulty between Wait on/off runs, especially Hell where the slowdown is extreme (Hell with Wait on isn't that much harder than Original IMO, more crap on the screen = more score = more extends and it's still all aimed at you). Non-Plus is a nightmare by comparison: there are only two score extends and you have to fight the TLB every run.
3.4mil after stage 1 Original is about typical if you're not milking cancels or tick points.

I've also often felt this game was a bit "slippery". I seem to go from safe to making an easy-looking movement and suddenly exploding. It might be to do with the hitboxes - I think Prales mentioned during his Shmup Slam 3 run that he thinks they're asymmetrical or something.


I'm playing Plus with wait and guard both turned off using Peace.
I was curious about the hitbox. It does feel slightly off center. Sometimes I feel like things hit me from the back earlier than they should and the game's very sensitive. Evident in the menus. One analog tap and it flips through 3 options.

I've been getting a bit more brave in how I play this. Actually waiting for heavy enemy patterns to fill the screen before hitting the last bit of health on screen clears and get up to the top of the screen to get chests as soon as possible. I'm able to get my first extend before the stage 2 boss which is about normal for me in any game like this.
I keep getting to stage 5 and then just losing everything though.

EDIT: WHERE can I get this game's soundtrack? I cannot find it. :l
I love this sort of 2000's StepMania/DDR-ish music. Man this takes me back to middle school.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Nov 2013
Posts: 177
Image

I finally tried BG a little more seriously...
How good this game is! Damn.

Interactive shmup techno!
Of course, headphones are required.

OS: Linux
Emulator: Mednafen - Sega Saturn


Last edited by nesrulz on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:19 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 4156
Location: Oort Cloud
Currently playing Dariusburst EX+ Event Mode and AC missions. A whole new game really, with new stages, new BGMs. Plus many of the missions are tough.
One problem though. The AC 2nd Iron Fossil Cup mission glitches for me. Even though I complete it with a near WR score, it doesn't let me input my name or put a completion medal on the mission....Strange. :|
_________________
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 4638
Location: Southern Ontario
XoPachi wrote:
EDIT: WHERE can I get this game's soundtrack? I cannot find it. :l


All of the background music is in the game folder in OGG format if I remember correctly. They're not compressed within a data file or anything, and I think they are named with the original song titles (there's some freeware music in there, I remember the artist name being listed in at least some of the filenames).
_________________
YouTube VideosTwitch1CCsSideLine game guide


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 9
Location: Sweden
Crisis Wing. Great pixelart, great music. I'm struggling a bit with the endurance side of things but it's fun none the less.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 517
Playing Fast Striker and it will definitely not be for long. This game kind of immediately sucks.
It doesn't feel good with dpad, analog, or my joystick, no auto fire, and it is REALLY hard to see shit with these disorienting backgrounds.

(Poor GenzoMan is cursed. I only ever see his art in mediocre games when he's not doing YuGioh.)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:39 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Aug 2020
Posts: 7
Played DoDonPachi today...again. This is probably my 8 times giving it another try. The more i play it the less i seem to hate it and the more i seem to enjoy. Might just wanna stick with retro shmups/touhou though...
_________________
1cc list:https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1415797#p1422866


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 361
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Layer Section (Saturn)

Have managed to get to level 6 a few times on 1 credit. Great old game this.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:25 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Aug 2020
Posts: 376
Sōkyūgurentai is back in the rotation. Every time I start it up I just think "man, this game is so good...why did I ever put this down?" Then that dumb third boss starts clobbering me and I remember. I end up having to brute force my way past it every dang time, so by the point that I hit stage 5 my resources are spent and I'm entering my initials.

ashiteru73 wrote:
Played DoDonPachi today...again. This is probably my 8 times giving it another try. The more i play it the less i seem to hate it and the more i seem to enjoy. Might just wanna stick with retro shmups/touhou though...


Which platform are you playing it on?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:47 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Aug 2020
Posts: 7
Sengoku Strider wrote:
Sōkyūgurentai is back in the rotation. Every time I start it up I just think "man, this game is so good...why did I ever put this down?" Then that dumb third boss starts clobbering me and I remember. I end up having to brute force my way past it every dang time, so by the point that I hit stage 5 my resources are spent and I'm entering my initials.

ashiteru73 wrote:
Played DoDonPachi today...again. This is probably my 8 times giving it another try. The more i play it the less i seem to hate it and the more i seem to enjoy. Might just wanna stick with retro shmups/touhou though...


Which platform are you playing it on?

Vanilla retroarch, like i spent 20 hours and some headaches learning it, so might as well put it to good use.

Edit: also using FBneo core
_________________
1cc list:https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1415797#p1422866


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group