shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 315, 316, 317, 318, 319
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:17 pm 

I feel I'm getting close to my mushi maniac 1cc.
Practice levels are all done, I just need to control my stress/nervousness when reaching stage 4 and 5.
Gawds, I love this game and I suck at it but it might be within reach with some more tries (hopefully).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:12 am 

For the first time in many years I'm getting back into Caladrius scoreplay, and I can really feel myself going down the rabbit hole (again). My routes have gotten really messy after years of atrophy, but I think I will be able to take the PS4 leaderboard #1 for Lilith default pretty fast, as even my rough route still yeilds enough points to do it if I execute it correctly. Topping my old PS3 score on the other hand will require a completely new route, but I have an idea for it that I want to test out.

What I'm really interested in is finally getting a top tier score in AC. I really would like to take the Lilith world record at a minimum, but I'm going to need to do some digging to find out exactly what it is.

Last edited by ACSeraph on Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:10 am 

my current project is a DFK Arrange B counter-stop on stage 5, after getting inspired by watching QSD stream the stage 3 counter-stop, and some discussions we had on the shmups discord. Arrange B is best DFK mode i think. infinitely replayable, and the way the game changes by how you play it means you have to develop strategies on the fly to get what you want to happen. it's a looooot of fun :mrgreen:

she/her

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:49 pm 

Yeah after well over a year of not playing shmups Zero Ranger has made its way back into my rotation. I managed 2-2 and then messed around with the new dlc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm 

Finally got my Karous normal 1cc, and now I'm going for the whole enchilada.
One thing that's really helpful is now I'm able to watch videos (I have a personal rule of no videos until I get a 1cc on my own, and besides, there really are no Karous normal mode vids...), I'm grateful for not having to find the 'M's on my own, and there's MUCH easier methods of negotiating certain things that I was unaware of.

That said, there's is a certain adage I'm finding to be untrue, the "Hard mode is actually easier because there's more enemies to power-up your ABSnet". While the second part is certainly true (there's a lot of enemies), thus far I'm not finding it easier by any stretch of the imagination. Buuuut, I'm pretty confident I can pull it off before the summer's through (and I'm also pretty confident that I will never be able to pull off those score chasing tricks, so there will be none of that), at which point I think I'll keep the Dreamcast exactly where it is and try for the Under Defeat 1cc again (yeah right... People tell me it's possible. People say a lot of things...)

EDIT: Almost forgot, BIG props to M Knight. I've been watching his 3 bil run a lot the past couple weeks (it seems someone else has too) and it has helped SO MUCH. There were a good number of things that I was going about very, very (very) wrong (the less we talk about that goddamn 3rd stage mid-boss, the better).

Last edited by m.sniffles.esq on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:44 am 

As a recent Arcade Archives pickup, Tube Panic. It's a 1984 tube shooter by Nichibutsu. Searching here I found very little info on it so I'll list some impressions.

I'm not sure if I like this game or not. I like the idea of the tube rotating around you, and the sense of speed you get when accelerating. As the stages progress the on-screen enemy count gets pretty impressive. But the controls are very floaty with lots of inertia which really hurts the experience. The hit box is, of course, what you would expect from 1984, except when it comes to the warp games which I often fly through the middle of but fail to trigger for some reason. I also can't figure out the fire rate; With each button press I sometimes get one, two, or even three shots out of it. Very strange game.

Last edited by Jeneki on Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:50 am 

^ Been considering that one myself, good to hear your thoughts! The speed and onscreen sprite count certainly looked good... it's hard to tell with Nichibutsu, I find. Their stuff is always solid, and colourful, but I've seen some howler decisions like Cosmo Police Gallivan's apparent binding of jump to [up]... which is fine, but it seems that's also how you aim up. I hope I'm just misinterpreting MAME there. :shock:

I quite like Soldier Girl Amazon / Holy Warrior Amaterasu, but it's got a touch of Arcade Contra Aim Lag™ that subtly hampers an otherwise impressively rampant Commando-esque. The vehicle jacking is great, keeping the swift bike nets you a tank, which ruins everything's shit. Won't stop a pining for Out Zone, but it's worth a look. I hope Ninja Emaki shows up at some point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:31 pm 

Zero Ranger. Made it to 2-3. I might be able to clear this after all. Its been ages since I got a new 1 CC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:55 pm 

Since my last post I've had two runs to Despair.

Like I said above I haven't played any shooters, let alone seriously, in over a year.

That said I think I'm pretty close at this point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:57 pm 

I cleared Green Orange mode earlier this week and have been playing both modes since. Haven't gotten another clear, but am close to over a million in White Vanilla. What a great update.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 315, 316, 317, 318, 319