shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 pm 

Currently going for:

Truxton 2 1-ALL (current best is stage 6 beginning)
keep losing lives to stage 3 boss. I'm still on the fence on whether I want to time him out (kind of tough for me) or just bomb him and take a death somewhere in stage 4 (cuz the boss there is really really hard without bombs). even bombing him to death at max rank is tough though.

Image Fight (J) 2-ALL (current best is 2-1)
second loop is brutal. All I've done so far is died in 2-1 and been unable to recover. But really I need to stop dying so much in loop 1 before I'm too concerned with progress in loop 2 tbh.

MD Same! Same! Same! No-miss hard difficulty 2-ALL (current best is hard difficulty 2-ALL, um, not no-miss)
mostly chill game with some really tough recoveries, especially in the later stages (last one in stage 8 is hugely rage inducing).

going on vacation next week but maybe I can get one of these before the year's over? whatever the case I'm having fun, great games
aaaand I guess I'm back on Twitter again: link

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:25 pm 

Honestly, maybe go for the time out first. It might give you some extra hints on how to deal with it when you go for the full kill for real. It's how it worked when I was doing Giga Wing No Reflect runs, I got stuck at the TLB, discovered I could time it out, then all that effort learning the time out helped when I went back for the KILL ALL THE THINGS clear because the attack that used to terrify me was now relatively manageable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:06 pm 

Been playing a bunch of In The Hunt off the Arcade Archives release. Been working my way up the hi-score mode (which forces default settings and restarts if you pause), which uses the Japan stage order. Since I played thought the World version a few years ago I've been picking it back up fairly quickly; I've noticed a few sections with faster enemy torpedos but otherwise no new issues.

Also I used to play this exclusively using the green shot powerup, but I've found blue to be quite handy in several places. For example the volcanos part, you can fire a blue ripple and move into it, and any fireballs will fizzle when the hit the ripple which makes it way easier.

Made it to the final boss a few times, so hoping for a Japan version 1cc soon.

*edit* Others may already know this but it's new to me and blew my mind: Ok so I just figured out something awesome to do with the big battleships that show up every once in a while. If you shoot the propellers on the back of the boat, you can stop it from moving. Then if you surface and launch homing missiles they'll target the ship cannons and launchers above sea level. You can pick apart the whole top half of the ship this way until it eventually just bursts into huge flames. It's awesome. This is in addition to all the different parts to hit on the bottom of the ship. There's got to be at least a dozen different things to blow up on these things, just a crazy amount of detail went into them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:06 pm 

darius 1 on megadrive. but on hold since the activity on real life...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:12 am 

Been playing a lot of Strikers 2 and Gunbird 2 on Switch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:22 am 

Eschatos advanced mode doesn't get enough love. I'll freely admit the F bombs can feel janky and unintuitive in this mode, however the purple violence is hilariously empowering while not making the game a complete breeze to play. It's the first time I've been tempted to analyze replays in a game just to see what are the "best" moments to stall and wait for bullet cancels.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:53 am 

Recently, I’ve been playing Galaga to try and score 2 million points (my current best is 1.5m). Sometime this month, I want to set aside one or two days to go for 10 million on Vimana, as I enjoy that game quite a bit (having 3-ALL’d it twice), and I think that would be a great milestone to achieve. I’ve also been learning both Truxton II and ESP Ra.De. lately, and I definitely want to put plenty of time into both over the next few days.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:29 pm 

Been lazy recently and not playing STGs, perpetually procrastinating the the last clear I need on Darius Cozmic Collection. So last night I decided to dig in and get the Darius Force clear done, since I finished everything else. I cleared this one a few years back on original hardware, but going back to it I'm surprised I had the patience to learn it without save states :lol:

I remember someone saying they felt Darius Force's vibe was more R-Type than Darius, and coming back to it after having put real effort into the R-Type series I have to agree. I actually really like Force, but it's a more strategic and strictly routed game than almost any other in the series. To clarify, it's much easier than Darius II, but somehow gives even less flexibility in routing. It's interesting because the mechanics that let you switch between bombs and lasers, and power up when using only shot or only laser end up giving the player a lot of strategic options. The stages however are designed with very specific intent, so the result is more of a puzzle game where you have to figure out the intended strategy. It's very R-Type, but with a distinct Darius flavor that I love, and I think the game deserves more fanfare than it gets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:48 am 

I've been playing Aka to Blue on my Android tablet and really enjoying it. It's another Cave game, basically, so it feels very very familiar but the bomb mechanic is cool and seems like something that should already exist. The tumbling surge of medals feels great when you time it right. I hope that EXA reaches the UK (Arcade Club, please?) so I can give Type-R a go on a cabinet. Touch controls are fine but something is missing from a tactile point of view.

On a similar note, I've also been playing Gothic wa Mahou Otome the Cave mobile grindy Deathsmiles vert. In terms of the pure gameplay, I think it's fantastic, really satisfying and spectacular. Explosions feel great, the pace and patterns feel just right to me. Very good game, sadly marooned on mobile. I would love a port, Lord knows the eShop is crammed with shit mobile ports. Why not this one?

Anyway, good to keep my hand in with shmups during a pretty busy time and plenty of working away from home (and stick!).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:31 am 

mycophobia wrote:
Currently going for:

Truxton 2 1-ALL (current best is stage 6 beginning)
keep losing lives to stage 3 boss. I'm still on the fence on whether I want to time him out (kind of tough for me) or just bomb him and take a death somewhere in stage 4 (cuz the boss there is really really hard without bombs). even bombing him to death at max rank is tough though.

Image Fight (J) 2-ALL (current best is 2-1)
second loop is brutal. All I've done so far is died in 2-1 and been unable to recover. But really I need to stop dying so much in loop 1 before I'm too concerned with progress in loop 2 tbh.

MD Same! Same! Same! No-miss hard difficulty 2-ALL (current best is hard difficulty 2-ALL, um, not no-miss)
mostly chill game with some really tough recoveries, especially in the later stages (last one in stage 8 is hugely rage inducing).

going on vacation next week but maybe I can get one of these before the year's over? whatever the case I'm having fun, great games

dropped two of these lol. Image Fight loop 2's checkpoints are too brutal and I'm so fuckin done putting hours into Truxton 2, just run after run of game overing mid-stage 5. However I am going to be picking up Kyukyoku Tiger, which is a very fun and fair game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:19 am 

mycophobia wrote:
MD Same! Same! Same! No-miss hard difficulty 2-ALL (current best is hard difficulty 2-ALL, um, not no-miss) mostly chill game with some really tough recoveries, especially in the later stages (last one in stage 8 is hugely rage inducing).

I'm playing Same! Same! Same! (MD) right now too. But on normal.

The stage 8 boss recovery is indeed rage inducing.

I burned through my credits on it. I even made a save state and can't figure it out.

Any tips?

EDIT: I seem to have something safe enough, which I got to by flailing around randomly, which is take out the first row of small turrets on the left, then float above the middle turrets near the top of the screen (this is a safe spot), then bomb when the ship finishes scrolling in, then hug top edge left, top edge right, then bomb when the main turret comes in.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:22 am 

I've been playing DoDonPachi Blissful Death on my iPhone recently until I get my Xbox 360 back to California.

Deathsmiles Mega Black Label
Arcade - Follett - ALL - 231,142,096 [vid]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:30 pm 

Licorice wrote:
mycophobia wrote:
MD Same! Same! Same! No-miss hard difficulty 2-ALL (current best is hard difficulty 2-ALL, um, not no-miss) mostly chill game with some really tough recoveries, especially in the later stages (last one in stage 8 is hugely rage inducing).

I'm playing Same! Same! Same! (MD) right now too. But on normal.

The stage 8 boss recovery is indeed rage inducing.

I burned through my credits on it. I even made a save state and can't figure it out.

Any tips?

EDIT: I seem to have something safe enough, which I got to by flailing around randomly, which is take out the first row of small turrets on the left, then float above the middle turrets near the top of the screen (this is a safe spot), then bomb when the ship finishes scrolling in, then hug top edge left, top edge right, then bomb when the main turret comes in.

this might only work on hard but when you respawn you can just hold the fire button down and not move until the ship comes into view. like everything misses you lol. but when the ship comes in I try to keep the far right turrets barely offscreen and bomb until the ship slows down, after which i hang out on the far left side. i don't even try to kill the boss, i just do my best to dodge until it scrolls off. its a fuckin hard checkpoint and i rarely get thru it without losing my credit.

what you put in your edit sounds very interesting though, about staying above the middle turrets at the top of the screen. I'll give that a try next time I die there

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:23 am 

Picked up Zeroranger again after a long absence, and finally no missed through the first two stages. Did pretty well on the third stage too. A 1cc is a long way off though, I fear.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:51 am 

@mycophobia, where would you put hard mode in the difficulty rankings? Perikles gave normal a 10.

I am using these rankings to incrementally improve my skills, so I would appreciate any insight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:18 am 

as a really rough estimate I'd say a 1-ALL of MD Same! on hard is about the same as a Same 2P 1-ALL maybe? Hard is a relatively big step up; I remember clearing Easy and Normal in a couple of attempts each but it took a little over a week (maybe 15 hours of playtime total) to clear Hard iirc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:08 am 

Doing some Battle Garegga on PS4. Been playing on pad since I bought the game, but just remembered I have a perfectly good Hori stick in the garage. Im loving playing BG on a stick.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:43 pm 

Trying to get a survival 1cc in Ibara, and I'm so fucking close...
Managed to die 5 seconds before the last boss with 4 hadous in stock. This should have been a 1cc, and I'm a bit angry now...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:28 am 

Last thing I was playing was the VASARA Collection. I didn't try out the new mode, but I had a blast enjoying the original 2 games. $10 for the xbox one version didn't feel like a waste of money to me!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:25 am 

the last couple days, i've been enjoying the usual DFK practice sessions, and i've started playing an indie SHMUP called Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo, which was on sale for like $2 or something completely asinine like that. the game is really hooking me though, i don't know what i was expecting but i feel like the game is actually really incredible. i've been enjoying arcade runs alongside playing the endless mode, which i wish was included in more STGs nowadays lol. there's a lot of ship variety, i'm still trying to figure out which one is my favorite.

aside from that, i've actually been digging back into the DOS-era SHMUPs again by playing through Raptor: Call of the Shadows. it's definitely a much different kind of game than the others as it's less focused on chaining, bullet dodging, etc... and is a lot more just "survive, earn money, spend it on upgrades so you can try not to die so quickly in later stages". it's pretty rudimentary, nothing really mindblowing or anything like that, but i've been enjoying the game quite a bit again even if i can see all of its flaws nowadays.

she/her

currently practicing: DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu 1.5 (Novice 2-ALL ~150bil pts) | Raiden Fighters Jet (1CC) | DoDonPachi (B-L 1-ALL)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:48 am 

Raptor was one of my absolute favorite PC games as a kid. I think maybe our version was shareware? I barely rember the game now and I haven't played it in over 20 years, but I definitely credit that one (and Captain Skyhawk) for fostering my love of Shmups at an early age. I'm sure those games are actually pretty rough, but I'd love to revisit them someday.

I finished up clearing every Darius Cozmic Collection game before the new year, so I'm playing some other stuff I bought during the new year's sales, EDF Wing Diver, Fast Striker, and Dimension Drive.

EDF is a guilty pleasure game, I got really into it but it's definitely not good. I think EDF fans would appreciate it though, because it really feels like EDF, jank and all.

Fast Striker seems good if a bit bland. Most of NGDT's games feel that way to me, but I like it well enough. Those graphics are awesome for an MVS title. I just wish the game had an autofire button.

I haven't played much yet but Dimension Drive is really interesting. I'm not big on the campaign structure, I hope an arcade mode unlocks later, but mechanically the game is really original and well conceived.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:51 pm 

ACSeraph wrote:
Raptor was one of my absolute favorite PC games as a kid. I think maybe our version was shareware? I barely rember the game now and I haven't played it in over 20 years, but I definitely credit that one (and Captain Skyhawk) for fostering my love of Shmups at an early age. I'm sure those games are actually pretty rough, but I'd love to revisit them someday.

yeah, my memories were the shareware version of Raptor alongside Galactix, which were my 2 gaming obsessions during the DOS era. the shareware chapter is pretty solid through and through, despite how rudimentary it is. the later sectors get pretty fuckin' brutal though; enemies are really tough and it's clear you're supposed to play the other sectors with a decked-out ship and at least 1-2 phase shields on deck lol.

i feel like with the loadout of the lock-on laser + disruptor/twin laser, maybe some dumbfire missiles on the side, and both the micro-missile and blaster extensions to your main gun, and the game really starts to feel like you can actually route out a path to minimal damage and maximum carnage. i'm on the last 3 waves of the outer sector and i really feel like i'm getting pushed to an insane challenge now. and i'm only playing on Veteran difficulty :lol:

i definitely recommend at least giving it at spin, you can get it pretty cheap on GOG/Steam (DotEmu emulation tho) and it's not that hard to find via other means. at worst, the music is fantastic and the explosion sounds are really satisfying. great art too.

she/her

currently practicing: DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu 1.5 (Novice 2-ALL ~150bil pts) | Raiden Fighters Jet (1CC) | DoDonPachi (B-L 1-ALL)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:48 pm 

I'm playing Devil Blade, Shigatake's spiffy new shooter he's got in the works. This is a real treasure he's got going on here. https://youtu.be/aolXhwkJi94

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:40 pm 

XoPachi wrote:
I'm playing Devil Blade, Shigatake's spiffy new shooter he's got in the works. This is a real treasure he's got going on here. https://youtu.be/aolXhwkJi94

Reminds me of Technosoft :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:27 pm 

1.2 billion score in Rolling Gunner. Stage 5 was a disaster though, and Stage 6 didn't fare much better. YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:43 pm 

Nice one! I've been aiming for the 1cc lately too - made it to the stage 6 boss a few times so it's mostly a matter of not choking. Hope to join that club before Over Power gets into my hands!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:47 pm 

I got to try Over Power this weekend. It has a nice additional soundtrack which you can choose to use in the original version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:05 pm 

I've played a bit more of Rolling Gunner the last two days. This time I've been trying to clear Casual mode (wish they called it something else to protect my fragile ego).

First attempt last night got a new PB, with 120 million at the stage 6 boss. This morning, on my subway commute, I get a new PB, dying to the TLB with I think 130 million or 1.3 billion (need to recheck). I should be able to get the clear soon, especially since a bouncing subway is not a great environment for micro-dodging.

This doesn't make me feel better that I haven't made it out of stage 3 on Normal. :oops:

edit: 130 million, lol.

Last edited by EmperorIng on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:36 pm 

Stage 3 is a significant bump in difficulty from the previous levels. You've got quite dangerous popcorn enemies coming from around you, those turrets on the ships which need to be dealt with quickly before they overwhelm you, and two fairly challenging midboss fights.

My recommendations: you can move under the midbosses to wide dodge some of their attacks. Also make sure to use your bombs manually; never waste them as an autobomb if you can. Your regular bombs last a long time, do plenty of damage, and allow you to get in close on bosses during the bomb to recharge your Power Up meter. It goes without saying obviously, but don't be afraid to be aggressive about bombing.

If you have to use Power Up on a boss to cancel bullets, don't be afraid of the high rank. You can get a second quick cancel if you Limiter Release as soon as the red meter is ready, and then it will run out almost as soon as bullets start to reach you. Or, if you collected a lot of red meter and worry you're going to be hit, unlike Crimzon Clover's Double Break you can freely bomb out of it. So it's totally valid strats on something scary you can't handle yet to Power Up -> Limiter (if you have it) -> Bomb without risking any dodges. You'll get a lot of extra damage vs playing risky and autobombing, and can refill Power Up a bit if you get in close during the bomb, and immediately put a stop to the high rank speed from being in Power Up/Limiter Release.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:35 am 

Been getting more and more into Fast Striker. I think I'm enjoying this one the best of all the NGDT games I've tried. I mentioned earlier it feels bland, but vanilla might be a better term. The game just feels really clean and complete with a nice sense of intensity all the way to the credit roll and a wonderful 1cc plz (bitch) when you get your first clear using the allotted 4 credits. I can currently make it into the final stage, so hopefully I'm able to get the 1cc soon. I haven't tried or been compelled to try the score play so I can't comment there, but this game is great for a simple clear.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 310, 311, 312, 313, 314  Next