shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:30 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307 ... 310  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:15 am 

I've been playing Raiden on the PS1 collection: Raiden Project, because clearly, I hate myself. My goal is to simply complete the first loop.. and I'm getting close. I've made it to stage 8 on a single credit but the turbo zako that bolt out from the screen edges (the ones that begin accosting you in stage 6 and gradually get worse through the penultimate and ultimate stages) are simply nerve racking. Plus I love that one section of stage 7 with all the uncoverable medals in the middle of this large off-white structure where you literally can't see shit! Thanks, Seibu!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:10 pm 

Achievement Unlocked - Play something by Milestone.

Picked up a repro of Chaos Field and have put about an hour into it so far. After testing the waters I think I like blue the best as I dig all his options. Yellow's wing layer is meh and I wish red's homing covered more area.

I've reached the end of phase two.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:23 am 

HAL and his blue ship are definitely the best choice for Chaos Field, and his Wing Layer is incredibly useful if you know where the bosses' bullet spawns are. Ifumi isn't as useful and Jinn's ship is the bad kind of gimmicky. The game seems to have been made with HAL in mind so stick with him unless you are looking for additional challenge or want to explore all that the game has to offer.
I would suggest trying to score a little bit, if only to get both extends (at 8 and 20 million points). 3-1 boss can also give you a Milestone logo which replenishes all your life points. I think you have to destroy all the parts to make it appear though.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 am 

Stevens wrote:
Achievement Unlocked - Play something by Milestone.

Picked up a repro of Chaos Field and have put about an hour into it so far. After testing the waters I think I like blue the best as I dig all his options. Yellow's wing layer is meh and I wish red's homing covered more area.

I've reached the end of phase two.

Repro? You mean like a bootleg for the Dreamcast or for another console?

Or like a Repro PCB or something?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:52 pm 

Thunder Force:Gold Pack 2 ( SS)

Am sure everyone knows but for those who don't , the disc comes with two games.

Thunder Force AC
Thunder Force IV (Sega Mega Drive)

currently playing the AC game , which is kicking my ass :cry:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:30 pm 

Thanks M Knight.

It's a DC repro game. $20 with shipping from an Etsy shop in Florida. I've bought a few from this place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:52 pm 

Been trying in vain to 1CC ZeroRanger. I got the final boss down to 4 little bits of health and fucked up. This was after several HOURS of run attempts and checkpoint practice last night. I was so mad it was hard to fall asleep. That fucking 2-3 train segment makes me lose so many hits. I use Type-B with the drill, but even then it's difficult to tell with the screen so cluttered where I can move without getting hit.

My end-of-year goals are to try to 1CC both ZeroRanger and ESPGaluda. I've been on and off savestate practicing ESPGaluda. A lot of bosses I used to think were impossible have gotten manageable. Particularly stage 4's train boss, and a few of the forms of the final boss. Now, the final form with the healing power still feels insurmountable. Anyone manage to beat it?

Getting through to stage 5 without losing lives is definitely a hang-up. It's easy to lose focus or get trapped at the st4 midboss, or during Seseri's second attack in st5.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 pm 

I'm playing Musha Aleste on hard mode. As far as the genre goes, its difficulty isn't too severe, though that one miniboss on the final level that shoots all the seeker missiles at you is a major pain to deal with.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:57 am 

Well, now that I am halfway to my goal above (ZeroRanger cleared). I guess it's now time to practice ESPGaluda runs exclusively! Then I'll treat myself to something more relaxing, like Game Tengoku. :wink:

If I'm lucky, I'll get to my average of... 6 1cc's a year. That's pretty lousy! In 2016 I cleared 16 shmups, even if half of that number were easier console games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 pm 

Espgaluda 2. It seems I still remember how to play it and can even still get the hidden extend. I don't know if I'm playing it seriously yet though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:40 pm 

Slowly chipping away at KOF Sky Stage...
Got a full chain in stage 4 for the first time last night, and boss 4A is almost worked out.
Will have to interrupt practice till next year, hopefully muscle memory will make its magic in the meantime. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 am 

A little more Chaos Field.

Finally wrapped my head around scoring and have been doing a fair bit better (by my standards:).

Fill meter, switch to chaos field when you know lots of bullets are coming, spam wing layer (on top of whatever is spitting bullets) and lock on, raise combo. Obviously the real trick is having a high combo when the enemy dies. I'll get better at that, but in the meantime it is nice to see some progress even if it is just a little.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:24 am 

playing Truxton II on easy. when I 1-ALL it I'll move up to normal. Was going to go for the 2-ALL on Tatsujin but I don't think I have the patience; learning a second loop just isn't as much fun as learning a new game, for me.

anyways I think stage 5 is going to be a sticking point. lotsa enemy spawns to memorize

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:19 am 

Thunder Cross. Seems like a fairly easy clear; I got to the final stage after only a few hours. Will need to memorize stage 4 better if I'm going to beat the game though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:51 am 

Rival Megagun for Nintendo Switch

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:43 pm 

DOJ WL, day 131. Right before holidays I've checked my skill - easily can clear loop 1 but instantly got nervous on loop 2. I think I can get used to this with time. And now I can clear every stage from loop 2 quickly enough. I'm going to have a break during some events. Merry Christmas everyone! See ya in 2019!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:39 pm 

durias wrote:

How is this? Looks neat, though I imagine it's hard to find players online.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:19 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
durias wrote:

How is this? Looks neat, though I imagine it's hard to find players online.

It's amazing. Highly recommended. Haven't tried online play yet--been playing player v player locally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:20 am 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 am 

I can't stop playing Rival Megagun (Nintendo Switch). One of the funniest games I've played in awhile and it's cheap! 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:09 pm 

I was making progress on espgaluda 2 recently, so I guess I was starting to try and play seriously, but I was very lucky to unexpectedly receive a ps4 for Christmas ... played ketsui deathtiny finally. Very fun, cleared it on my 3rd or 4th try. I might try to score properly next time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:51 am 

Went back to Super Hydorah and seen that my saved game had been erased. This is not the first time it's happened, and it's rather annoying as I find the game quite challenging. Made a back up on a USB this time.

Completed Ketsui Deathiny on Super Easy and had a blast. Feels smoother than the ps3 version. The music is something else, and I could feel the excitement levels rising as soon as I re-heard it. I've no chance of 1cc-ing the game on normal, but I'll chip away at it and see what I can do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:08 pm 

I've now made it to Jakou the Jack-off a few times on my ESPGaluda practice, using Tateha. The year is running out... will I make it at the home stretch?

Even with all the practice, it seems like the safest strategy to make it through is to at least have 3 lives by the time the final phase of the last boss - though in practice I've done it with only losing one life! The final phase feels like it's partially down to luck whether or not my hitbox squeezes through some of the gaps. It is such a pain in the ass.

I'll usually lose a life by stage 4 or 5 if I'm not careful (I'm not), and have only beaten Seseri without losing any lives once or twice. That means about 4 lives to get through stage 5-2, which realistically means not dying during the Alice spam (not always guaranteed) and trying to get through all the prior phases of Jakou without dying (this is VERY hard to do, almost impossible for me). Current sticking points:

1) first phase's final attack, when the machine has all four wings blown off. I try to survive as long as possible without using resources, and finish it early with a charged bomb
2) Fem-Jakou's first attack, with the alternating spiral waves of bullets. This is really fucking hard, even if it's just tap-dodging. Very confusing to look at.
3) Combined-Jakou's first phase. For the most part it's not so bad, but getting out of the way of the final spread without using a bomb is very risky, especially since by that time I don't have many gems left. It's the side detritus falling the way that gets me.
4) Combo's penultimate phase, before the gem battle. I try to bomb liberally once I'm cornered by the twin spread to end it as quick as I can, because I can't trust the deceptively dumb hitboxes on some of the larger puffy bullets.

This just feels like almost too much to learn and master before my self-imposed goal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:33 pm 

I got muchi muchi pork / pink sweets for xmas, so I've been playing muchi muchi. I havent had a chance to really sit down and play it proper though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:24 pm 

When I haven't been pretending to be an outlaw I've been playing Ketsui (arcade mode).

Doesn't matter how much time passes - whenever I start playing any Cave title for the first time I become allergic to bombing. Then I remind myself to stop dying with bombs in stock and voila' - instant progress.

I can nmnb stage one and I have managed it on stage two maybe twice. Typically I will bomb this pattern - https://youtu.be/ZDNCqb7QRwQ?t=349, but have been practicing without.

Close to breaking through to stage four, even if stage three still looks like shit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:42 am 

STRIKERS 1945 II for Nintendo Switch (because Metal Jesus Rocks put i in his top ten Switch shmups. (i.e. https://youtu.be/jxISX0lCAOI)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:30 pm 

Still Ketsui arcade, have broken through to stage four:D

My progress read by Mario:

Stage one and two not a so bad anymore. Stage three look a little less like a dog shit - look a like high end shit. On the up side my score is improving - finally earned both score extends. The 1 UP on three's mid boss going to take some practice.

Last edited by Stevens on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:33 pm 

mycophobia wrote:
playing Truxton II on easy. when I 1-ALL it I'll move up to normal. Was going to go for the 2-ALL on Tatsujin but I don't think I have the patience; learning a second loop just isn't as much fun as learning a new game, for me.

anyways I think stage 5 is going to be a sticking point. lotsa enemy spawns to memorize

stage 5 continues to be an absolute motherfucker, but i'm learning. i seem to be able to consistently get the two bonus 1 ups there, which is nice. made it well into stage 6 on one of my games but have yet to repeat that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:06 pm 

Stevens wrote:
Still Ketsui arcade, have broken through to stage four:D

My progress read by Mario:

Stage one and two not a so bad anymore. Stage three look a little less like a dog shit - look a like high end shit. On the up side my score is improving - finally earned both score extends. The 1 UP on three's mid boss going to take some practice.

The stage 3 midboss extend isn't actually that bad to get. Just make sure you've taken out all turrets and when it starts to go crazy, hang out in the middle to bottom right hand side of the screen. It's not as hard to dodge as you think!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:57 pm 

durias wrote:
STRIKERS 1945 II for Nintendo Switch (because Metal Jesus Rocks put i in his top ten Switch shmups. (i.e. https://youtu.be/jxISX0lCAOI)

Thanks for sharing this video, which I really enjoyed. I love how much Psikyo they included. And I guess I've been mispronouncing "Psikyo" my whole life, so that was a revelation. Dragon Blaze as an honorable mention would seem like a slight, but they actually acknowledge that the dragon shot mechanic is an improvement over Gunbird 2, which was pretty high on the list.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307 ... 310  Next