shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:41 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8957 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291 ... 299  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:49 am 


User avatar

Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 2106
Location: Brooklyn NY
LordHypnos wrote:
One of them is V . V


Because of my adult on set retardation I had to look at this about five times before I realized what you were talking about. You have reminded me (thank you) I started 2017 in what was basically a Toaplan coma. VV, Dogyuun, and Tatsujin Oh were my play list for the better part of a month. I recommend trying the other two also.

I didn't clear VV as my well know ADD kicked in and I went on to something else, but I did quite enjoy my time with it. I think I was reaching stage five when I moved on, but I do remember my weapon of choice was the default beefed up to max, and then obviously shields. I had some rudimentary (solid) strats for the bosses though - stage two's was based around the default guns fan being used to take care of the zakos and then concentrating it to deal damage while avoiding the laser and the shots from the side.

Obviously it sounds easy but that fucker was always a nerve wrackingish affair in a way no stage two boss ever should be:D

Still throwing down with Thunder Force IV once or twice a week but haven't progressed beyond stage eight just yet. Totally enjoying my time with it though.

Been playing some Yoshi's Island and enjoying it far more than I ever thought I would since I usually don't play Mario/Sonic type platformers. Feels a lot like a Treasure game (to me anyways) and I think that is why I'm digging it so much.

Also splitting time with Blackthorne and Alien Soldier. AS is another game on my growing "Why did I wait 20+ years to play this?" list.
_________________
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:14 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
Shepardus wrote:
For more videos you should check out the highest scoring replays thread. I just tried playing the game again and I think missile isn't any easier, I just like using it because it's good on the parts before and after. You can also do it with shot if you spread it out wide enough to destroy the spawning enemies (it just takes a while because shot doesn't do a lot of damage when it's spread out). Whatever you do, it's much easier if you're able to destroy the enemies before they fire.

Thanks for the link. Especially with how unsearchable V . V is as a game. It seems like there's no one spelling that is the standard, hahaha. And yeah, I was actually thinking about shot as being something that might make it a bit easier. The zakos that the boss spits out are definitely wherein the difficulty lies.

Quote:
Also, you should practice until you're comfortable enough to go without shield until reaching level 3 powerup. You can get all the shields you want after that, but if you do it before you're just sacrificing power which will lead to you needing shield more which will cause you to forego more power upgrades and so on. I've heard that getting to max power drives rank up so you might want to stay one level below that (which I think is rank 3) for the first half of the game.

You're probably right about this. Maybe I should drill out an ultra solid route for stages 1 and 2 before worrying about the stage 2 boss so that I can get powered up. It sounds like V . V might (against first impressions) actually be a one life game as well, like R-Type :?

Stevens wrote:
Because of my adult on set retardation I had to look at this about five times before I realized what you were talking about. You have reminded me (thank you) I started 2017 in what was basically a Toaplan coma. VV, Dogyuun, and Tatsujin Oh were my play list for the better part of a month. I recommend trying the other two also.



I didn't clear VV as my well know ADD kicked in and I went on to something else, but I did quite enjoy my time with it. I think I was reaching stage five when I moved on, but I do remember my weapon of choice was the default beefed up to max, and then obviously shields. I had some rudimentary (solid) strats for the bosses though - stage two's was based around the default guns fan being used to take care of the zakos and then concentrating it to deal damage while avoiding the laser and the shots from the side.

Obviously it sounds easy but that fucker was always a nerve wrackingish affair in a way no stage two boss ever should be:D
[/quote]
Oh, nice. I'm starting to think that I should try facing off against the boss with just plain shot. FWIW, my favorite weapon is search. That really needs to be in more games.

I probably should try out Dogyuun and Tatsujin Ou, but somehow they don't seem as appealing to me. V . V is really modern feeling for a game of its time, which is part of the appeal (It kind of hits a good spot right between oldschool and modern). Batsugun is more modern feeling, but a little bit less interesting mechanically, to me anyway. Then again, this is based on playing a decent chunk of V . V, but not really seeing much past the second level, so really it's hard to formulate an opinion based on that.
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2014
Posts: 1383
Location: Germany
LordHypnos wrote:
You're probably right about this. Maybe I should drill out an ultra solid route for stages 1 and 2 before worrying about the stage 2 boss so that I can get powered up. It sounds like V . V might (against first impressions) actually be a one life game as well, like R-Type :?

While I would heartily recommend refining routes for this game (I started with the MD port and couldn't get past stage 3 at first, but once all the pieces fell into place it worked a lot better for me), it is surprisingly lenient upon recovery, even in loop 2. I wouldn't have thought that possible at first, but due to the fact that the game starts you with one speed-up activated and the considerable decrease in rank upon dying, you can definitely overcome every checkpoint in the game. It will irrevocably kill your score, but that shouldn't be your concern right now, anyway. :)

LordHypnos wrote:
I probably should try out Dogyuun and Tatsujin Ou, but somehow they don't seem as appealing to me.

Skip Tatsujin Ou, give Dogyuun a chance. Dogyuun is a surprising case of an inductive game, as it were. Usually, you want to have solid fundamentals and then build up your specific gimmick on top of that, Dogyuun sort of works the other way around, which is extremely rare. The Rayxanber II speed-up armament is nothing short of stellar and several of the trickier sections and bosses are grand fun, those are veritable spectacles. Game has a few lulls for sure, I find it to be overall great, though.
_________________
ImageImage
Path to Ascendancy (1CCs) | Götzendämmerung (YT)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:03 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
Perikles wrote:
While I would heartily recommend refining routes for this game (I started with the MD port and couldn't get past stage 3 at first, but once all the pieces fell into place it worked a lot better for me), it is surprisingly lenient upon recovery, even in loop 2. I wouldn't have thought that possible at first, but due to the fact that the game starts you with one speed-up activated and the considerable decrease in rank upon dying, you can definitely overcome every checkpoint in the game. It will irrevocably kill your score, but that shouldn't be your concern right now, anyway. :)

Suprisingly lenient upon recovery was actually my first impression of V . V because of the one speed up thing, as well as the fact that it never brings you to pea shooter level firepower

Quote:
Skip Tatsujin Ou, give Dogyuun a chance. Dogyuun is a surprising case of an inductive game, as it were. Usually, you want to have solid fundamentals and then build up your specific gimmick on top of that, Dogyuun sort of works the other way around, which is extremely rare. The Rayxanber II speed-up armament is nothing short of stellar and several of the trickier sections and bosses are grand fun, those are veritable spectacles. Game has a few lulls for sure, I find it to be overall great, though.

Will definitely make sure to do this some time soon. It's kind of funny, I think I watched an STGWeekly episode about Dogyuun a while back, but I can't actually remember what the mechanics of the game were.
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:57 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2016
Posts: 490
Location: Brazil
Finally back on shmups with Arrange mode Ibara. A nice CAVE game with a Raizing touch (the arcade mode seems to be the other way around), with a design that reminds of Shoujo Kakumei Utena.
_________________
Image
1cc


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:52 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 2161
Giga Wing Generations again. Watched my Youtube 1CC video to start getting back into it. Might make another one if I can beat that score.

Too bad this one doesn't have pilots. I miss the voiceovers from the Japanese Giga Wing 2. "Reflectooor...LAAAASER!" "Spaaaaaak... Baaam-baah!":D WTF did Capcom ditch this for the USA release? The voices were already in English except during the cutscenes, but there were subtitles anyway.

What a bummer that Takumi folded after this one.
_________________
Kinect? KIN NOT.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:14 am 


User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2016
Posts: 490
Location: Brazil
GWG doesn't have pilots (I miss Ruby), or story, or anything. Also, the music is not as great as the first or second game.
Still very addictive when you get into it.
_________________
Image
1cc


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 pm 



Joined: 30 Jan 2018
Posts: 1
Just purchased Biometal.
I'm all for a challenging game but there is a fine line between a game that has an enjoyable challenge and just plain screwing over the player. By taking away the last upgrade that the player made before the last level AND taking away all their coins...this game falls into the latter category.
If the hit detection, money system, keeping the upgrades you have even after death and keeping the coins you accumulated after death was fixed, then this game might be fun to play
_________________
Cheers, topazy


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:33 am 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1495
Tried a few credits of Raiden 1 to see if my stance on it has changed any.

Nope, it's still as breathtakingly awful as I remembered it. It's kind of a miracle that turd, of all games, spawned a million sequels and became one of the most beloved shmup series ever (and rightfully so, just not for that first entry, which is so bad it's almost physically painful).


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5315
Location: Canada
Obscura wrote:
Tried a few credits of Raiden 1 to see if my stance on it has changed any.

Nope, it's still as breathtakingly awful as I remembered it. It's kind of a miracle that turd, of all games, spawned a million sequels and became one of the most beloved shmup series ever (and rightfully so, just not for that first entry, which is so bad it's almost physically painful).


I dunno, I just played a credit of it and Fire Shark which was released the same year (1990), and I don't find either of them less fun than the other.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:11 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
Decided to play some Wisp Lisp Array of List earlier today and actually almost ended up being late to a thing because of how addictive it is. Also did anyone ever figure out how scoring works in this? It seems very inconsistent.
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:34 am 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1495
Udderdude wrote:
Obscura wrote:
Tried a few credits of Raiden 1 to see if my stance on it has changed any.

Nope, it's still as breathtakingly awful as I remembered it. It's kind of a miracle that turd, of all games, spawned a million sequels and became one of the most beloved shmup series ever (and rightfully so, just not for that first entry, which is so bad it's almost physically painful).


I dunno, I just played a credit of it and Fire Shark which was released the same year (1990), and I don't find either of them less fun than the other.

Fire Shark is just too damn hard to be fun, but it's design is so obviously superior to Raiden's that it's impossible to ignore. The checkpoints are actually possible to recover from (unlike Raiden, where because of power-ups and weapon-switch being on the same item and there being no power-up on switch, there's no way to recover after death), and the bomb is significantly less worthless (which also plays a big factor in recovery). The bosses are less retarded (Raiden bosses basically all boil down to "know a speedkill or game over as it shits undodgeable pattern after undodgeable pattern"). And Fire Shark is probably the weakest of the Toaplan military-themed games. Compare it to Hishouzame, Kyukyoku Tiger, or even Daisenpuu, and it looks even worse.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
^How do you feel about the genesis version of fire shark? I think I read that the devs considered it an improved version. Also is way easier
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5315
Location: Canada
I noticed it defaults to Easy. (Same! Same! Same! on the MD also defaults to Easy). Yeah, the arcade version is balls hard right out of the gate. I'm ok with that.

Also, somewhat related, Dodonpachi Daioujou Tamashii also defaults to easy, along with having an easy mode. Not the first time an extremely difficult arcade shmup would get an easier version at some point down the line.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:42 pm 



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 1495
I haven't played the MD version, and thus have no opinion on it. One of my friends swears by it, though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Posts: 639
Location: France
LordHypnos wrote:
Decided to play some Wisp Lisp Array of List earlier today and actually almost ended up being late to a thing because of how addictive it is. Also did anyone ever figure out how scoring works in this? It seems very inconsistent.


I played it a bit a long time ago, but never made much progress in it. I figured that you were supposed to kill the enemies and the mid-bosses as quickly as possible to extend the clock, but as soon as I killed the first mid-boss, the background changes to a negative dimension where all the enemies fire at you so damn fast you can't really react and score properly. Maybe the stray red homing shot that you fire sometimes has some significance, in addition to the secondary shot? I can't really say.

On a side note, what a weird name! Was I in charge of finding a name, I would fear that this one would make trying to find info on the game bring up C# or Java classes documentation pages instead. :lol:
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
M.Knight wrote:

I played it a bit a long time ago, but never made much progress in it. I figured that you were supposed to kill the enemies and the mid-bosses as quickly as possible to extend the clock, but as soon as I killed the first mid-boss, the background changes to a negative dimension where all the enemies fire at you so damn fast you can't really react and score properly. Maybe the stray red homing shot that you fire sometimes has some significance, in addition to the secondary shot? I can't really say.

On a side note, what a weird name! Was I in charge of finding a name, I would fear that this one would make trying to find info on the game bring up C# or Java classes documentation pages instead. :lol:

All of these things are true. Really it's just a weird game in general. bizarre enemies, too.

All I could figure out is that killing enemies faster leads to bonus enemies, but not in the way you'd suspect. Instead of additional waves you just get larger numbers of enemies in the wave, at least with the big enemies. One thing that isn't super obvious is that you have a sort of special weapon on the x button that seems to be more powerful, and cancels some bullets around you right at the beginning of using it (though you gotta be careful, because the bullet cancelling window is pretty short). Then it needs to recharge. It feels like the duration of the attack might shorten as the game continues, but it might just feel that way because of how hectic the bullets / enemies get. I think killing enemies with the secondary weapon might get you higher scores, but I'm not even sure. I can end up with a score of like 4000 or 20,000 in the same place in the game without doing anything noticeably different. I also have a high score in "nomal" difficulty of around 50,000, that I don't remember how I got (I've actually had this game for like 2+ years), The highest I was able to get yesterday was 30,000.

The red bullets and red meter are definitely a complete mystery to me.

It's actually quite a fun little caravan game, I almost want to start a scoring thread for it, but I feel like I'd get literally no other scores other than my own.
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:09 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
Double post, but Triggerheart Exelica update: I have a strategy (from Ferocious Swan's perfect play video on YT) for the field of death now. I have only managed to execute it a handful of times, but it seems like it's getting better. The boss is pretty rough, too, though. Fero actually bombs it quite a few times, so I don't know if I can get too many strats from that. Also it seems like I've gotten less consistent at stage 3. I think that it's about time I should start routing stage 5, though. Hopefully it's not as hard as stage 4, or this 1cc attempt could take a long ass time. I'm pretty determined, though, either way.
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:04 am 



Joined: 26 Jan 2015
Posts: 139
Location: Southern Cali
Stevens wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:
One of them is V . V


Because of my adult on set retardation I had to look at this about five times before I realized what you were talking about. You have reminded me (thank you) I started 2017 in what was basically a Toaplan coma. VV, Dogyuun, and Tatsujin Oh were my play list for the better part of a month. I recommend trying the other two also.

I didn't clear VV as my well know ADD kicked in and I went on to something else, but I did quite enjoy my time with it. I think I was reaching stage five when I moved on, but I do remember my weapon of choice was the default beefed up to max, and then obviously shields. I had some rudimentary (solid) strats for the bosses though - stage two's was based around the default guns fan being used to take care of the zakos and then concentrating it to deal damage while avoiding the laser and the shots from the side.

Obviously it sounds easy but that fucker was always a nerve wrackingish affair in a way no stage two boss ever should be:D

Still throwing down with Thunder Force IV once or twice a week but haven't progressed beyond stage eight just yet. Totally enjoying my time with it though.

Been playing some Yoshi's Island and enjoying it far more than I ever thought I would since I usually don't play Mario/Sonic type platformers. Feels a lot like a Treasure game (to me anyways) and I think that is why I'm digging it so much.

Also splitting time with Blackthorne and Alien Soldier. AS is another game on my growing "Why did I wait 20+ years to play this?" list.


Man you are playing some classics! I'm jealous. I love retro. I enjoy my PS4 but something beautiful about going into my collection and picking out a classic. Never gets old.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:44 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Posts: 639
Location: France
Managed to get Macross 2's Beginner course 1CC.
Once you realize you shouldn't kill the last boss too early but milk as many turrets as possible in the few seconds available, getting that score requirement gets easier. This final stage is very overwhelming at first but I ended up liking all the bonuses you can get there and the fast pace at which those mini-tests occur. According to the stage branching screen, it seems like all difficulites end with this stage which is a bit of shame as I would have prefered every final zone to be independent with each its own final boss just like in Darius games.

I am now struggling to get the score requirement for the Medium course's third stage. Man, what a difficulty spike.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
Still plugging away at Triggerheart. I do think I'm getting better at stage 4, but it's still a long way from where it needs to be. Starting to route stage 5, and it's not quite as long, seemingly, but has some similarly difficult parts (a lot of very careful timing and aiming when chucking enemies at other enemies)

Also decided to give Judgement Silversword a try, and I think I might prefer it over Eschatos except for the button mashing. I'm aware that you don't have to do the button mashing (I think people call it the hybrid shot), but it's pretty tough to get through certain parts of the 3rd stage without it, and I'm guessing it only gets worse. I hope I can eventually unlock the secret ship, because there shouldn't be any button mashing necessary with that one, but it looks like that could take a long time. Furthest I've made it in one credit is Mirror Shield, who is way harder in JSS than in Eschatos. Also, rather amusingly, after playing JSS for a while, I decided to take another gander at Eschatos Easy difficulty, which I've played a handful of times but never cleared, and I got it on the first try. JSS is good training for Eschatos, I think.
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
Double post, but now that I'm done with Triggerheart, I'm thinking I'm going to do Giga Wing 2, next. So far liking Romi as playership.
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2013
Posts: 268
Having some fun with R-Type on the PC Engine.
Also, switched from Garegga's premium arrange to arcade mode. I'm almost on stage 6.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:21 am 


User avatar

Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 1830
Location: Mars Colony, 2309
Early thoughts on Giga Wing 2:

What is it about Takumi scoring systems, man. Too fun trying to get the volcanons. I do want to focus on getting the clear at first (though it's pretty hard to resist restarting if I don't get a volcanon somewhere that I have before), but I could actually see coming back to this. Mars Matrix it ain't, but it's a pretty cool scoring system. Dying is punished more than I would like (I think it resets your medal value or something), but I don't know how much it matters compared to the other aspects.

Looks like Romi might actually be the worst character from a scoring perspective, judging by the WR scores. I don't understand why as narrow shot + high speed is usually better for score. It's probably the stage order.

Super fun game so far. Very fast paced, well done reflect mechanic, bullet patterns designed around the reflect mechanic. I'll probably think of more stuff later.
_________________
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:
How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:41 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2018
Posts: 10
Well I'm not a hardcore shmup player, so I'm just playing some plain Jamestown. :) If only I knew how to fix those damn graphical artifacts which make the screen flicker from time to time.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:24 am 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2015
Posts: 270
Location: The Edge Of The Ape Oven
M.Knight wrote:
-Hoarding bombs instead of using them to score more is encouraged by the end-stage bonuses.

While highly optimized play definitely discourages bombs use, they're actually quite useful in situations where you can gain more than the bonus with a bomb where it would be otherwise more difficult to score without. Bombs also allow you to speedkill and reach higher scoring waves faster. Bombing can be a good tool for reaching the score threshold.

M.Knight wrote:
-Enemies coming from behind can immediately damage you, unlike the majority of TD2's enemies that do that.

I don't recall any of the enemies doing this. The ones I remember all have a delay before they damage you. The red bonus ships never even gain a hitbox that you can collide with, allowing you to smoothly position yourself to take them out in sequence.

M.Knight wrote:
Managed to get Macross 2's Beginner course 1CC.
According to the stage branching screen, it seems like all difficulites end with this stage which is a bit of shame as I would have prefered every final zone to be independent with each its own final boss just like in Darius games.
I am now struggling to get the score requirement for the Medium course's third stage. Man, what a difficulty spike.


Congrats. I agree that the game would have benefited from some more variety in the final stage between courses, but at least the last stage is well enough designed to make it not feel like a chore. As for Medium Course stage 3, it's probably the biggest hurdle in the entire game. You really need to know nearly all of the hidden bonuses to stand a chance of reaching stage 4 consistently.
_________________
ImageImageImage


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2014
Posts: 3116
Location: Ringing the bells of fortune
Mostly Detana!! TwinBee, with a sprinkling of TwinBee Yahho!

I was toying around with no-powerup runs of Detana today - turns out a 1-ALL is very doable. After a couple of attempts I was able to make it to stage 6 on a single credit. The hardest part is making sure you don't accidentally grab one of the powerups (randomly!) dropped by ground enemies - I had to resort to a lot of awkward movements to make sure I always had the chance to look what a ground target dropped before grabbing it. Accidentally grabbing a non-golden bell is also a danger, but that's easier to control. As far as actual survival goes, I'm guessing stage 6 would be the hardest, though the midbosses in stage 7 are also troublesome without speedups.
_________________
Image
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:12 pm 



Joined: 14 Feb 2018
Posts: 2
Playing currently R-Type III on the SFC!
One of the best shmups on the System! Love this game still like the first time I ever played it many years ago! :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:53 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Posts: 639
Location: France
Square_Air wrote:
While highly optimized play definitely discourages bombs use, they're actually quite useful in situations where you can gain more than the bonus with a bomb where it would be otherwise more difficult to score without. Bombs also allow you to speedkill and reach higher scoring waves faster. Bombing can be a good tool for reaching the score threshold.

I tend to use bombs in some crowded situations or when I really have to kill that boss before the timer runs out, so there is defintely some usefulness to them. I don't think I'll get to a level where I'll have to optimize everything and stop bombing altogether, but it's more the mindset behind the no-bomb bonuses that I dislike. As a design choice, it feels very tacked-on and seemed as if it had no thought put behind it and no analysis of the actual impact of bombs in the level design.

That said, this is not a complaint especially targeted at Macross 2. I never enjoy scoring systems that forbid you from using their bombs because they simply are not fun and artifically deprive you from exploiting the tactical usefulness of bombs instead of letting you embrace their power for scoring purposes. Not only that, they also build terrible bombing habits when going for survival.

Square_Air wrote:
I don't recall any of the enemies doing this. The ones I remember all have a delay before they damage you. The red bonus ships never even gain a hitbox that you can collide with, allowing you to smoothly position yourself to take them out in sequence.

I think I got hit by the four red mechas that spawn from behind in Medium Course's Stage 3. That behavior may not be very common but I don't think it is nonexistent.

Square_Air wrote:
Congrats. I agree that the game would have benefited from some more variety in the final stage between courses, but at least the last stage is well enough designed to make it not feel like a chore. As for Medium Course stage 3, it's probably the biggest hurdle in the entire game. You really need to know nearly all of the hidden bonuses to stand a chance of reaching stage 4 consistently.

I tried clearing the Beginner course a second time but find it difficult to clear the final stage again. Its intensity and the amount of scoring tricks in it makes it enjoyable despite being on multiple paths, but some of the bonuses do feel arcane. In comparison, Medium Course's Stage 3 may be very difficult but most of its scoring tricks are obvious, aside from the one where you have to let the red enemies fire missiles.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 1691
Location: Area 26-10
I've had DBCS since day one but have only just started making an earnest attempt to clear QUZ on one life (having dabbled with it casually at several points). I think I'm almost there - the latter half of Z can get a bit messy if I fail the mid-level counterburst, but I'm confident with pretty much everything else. I've been practicing G.T. V in the DLC mode, so I should have this in the bag after a few more sessions...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8957 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 285, 286, 287, 288, 289, 290, 291 ... 299  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: scs_jonah and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group