Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
m.sniffles.esq

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I realized that "pattern" is not a word that gringos would understand

He's Mexican??
leeroythornhill

Post by leeroythornhill »

Hey guys, this is my first post here.

I'm currently trying to 1CC Gunbird
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Lol No, Japanese. He used an autotranslator to post that in English. I think the use of the word gringo must be intentional though. Doesn't seem like something the translator would come up with on its own.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Lol No, Japanese. He used an autotranslator to post that in English. I think the use of the word gringo must be intentional though. Doesn't seem like something the translator would come up with on its own.

Oh... I heard more Japanese use gweilo than gringo--which I don't think I've ever heard used unless they were doing an impression of a Mexican--but I guess auto-translate was just trying to get the point across.

Hey guys, this is my first post here.

I'm currently trying to 1CC Gunbird

Welcome and good luck. I've never come within 10 miles of a 1cc on either Gunbird.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Rastan78 wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:And the award of 'corniest thing I've read all week (if not month)' goes to...
Here's another gem for you.

https://twitter.com/dbsqawsedrftgyh/sta ... mg3zg&s=19
I realized that "pattern" is not a word that gringos would understand.
It's neither a technique nor a glitch. I don't know what to say.
I can only say that it is the movement of my machine itself.
I realized that "dog" is not a word that gringos would understand. :cool:
It's neither a cat nor a fish. I don't know what to say. :cool:
I can only say that it is the movement of my pull-start machine deep within my anus, itself. :cool:
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Been banging my head to the wall with Raiden II for the past 3 weeks, still no clear yet. This is by far the most demanding shmup I've ever played.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Raiden II is harder than a god damn boner, good luck with that one. ;-;7
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Now that my PCE is freshly recapped and my CD-ROM^2 is in working order again, I’ve decided to sink some time into Nexzr. It’s absolutely fantastic, but it’s not an easy game, even on normal. Those checkpoints can be harsh for recovery, and if I die at the wrong one, I tend to burn through my extra lives quickly. I’m currently up to stage 4, working my way forward slowly.

Any comments on weapons usage? The exploding missiles you get in stage 3 are super powerful, but can be a bit clunky to aim. They do create great screen coverage in combination with the spread shot, though. Several times I’ve tried to hold on to the Taito lasers as long as possible, and that seems like another powerful option. I’m a bit underwhelmed by those searching options, as they tend to completely disappear sometimes and only come back if I hit something with my main shot. I’m not sure if this is a bug or meant to work this way.
jehu

Post by jehu »

It has been a while since my Nexzr 1CC, but I remember the weapon selection being rather forgiving - with one exception. The seeking options are an absolute god-send on a late stage - the last one, if memory serves - where chains of enemies are crawling along the walls and hard to hit with anything else. You'll know it when you see it; makes an otherwise difficult stage rather easy.

Also, if you have any interest in scoring, it's worth noting that, if you kill the final boss and die to his last attack, you'll collect the points and restart the boss stage. The timing is tight, so I'm not sure how practical it would be to learn with any consistency. But given the amount of lives the game gives you, and the massive score you get for killing the boss, you could rack up some serious points.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

You know, maybe we need a list for games that have double KO exploits. There's quite a few of them, especially involving final bosses. There's Nexzr, and there's Pulstar, and there's 1942, and...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

And if the final boss gives a huge score bonus for doing so, it's usually an insane percentage of your overall score. Formation Armed F is a particularly egregious example (using all your lives for this gives you nearly 8 times the score a typical 1CC does).
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

From what I can gather from youtube videos of the game, bosses in general give insane amounts of score. Killing the stage 6 boss apparently nets you 5 score-based extends, lol.

Anyway, I’ve been playing some more and making good progress. I made it to stage 6 for the first time. Pretty intense. I know now what you mean with the rows of enemies crawling along the walls. Thankfully, I did have the seeking options, but I didn’t make it all the way though the stage, sadly. What really surprised me was stage 5. I reached it for the first time during this run. Going in totally blind, I managed to no-miss on my first try, including the unexpectedly easy boss. Either I was incredibly lucky or the stage is much easier than stage 4.

My biggest problems arise whenever I lose my subweapon at the end of a stage. While I can usually beat the boss just fine without it, the beginning of the next stage sees me losing a bunch of lives at least, if I manage to recover at all. I also learned that RNG can screw you badly at the bosses if you happen to catch an unlucky sequence.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm still on my Giga Wing 2 break (and Shikigami no Shiro break) but I am enjoying my time rediscovering my early favorite, Sexy Parodius. I thought about using Mambo like everyone else but I am a special snowflake that needs to be different so I am using Ivan. Luckily, routing with Auto is pretty similar across all the characters it seems like.

Rank aside, this is a really pleasant time, this game just engages me more than most of the Konami catalog (exceptions to Salamander 2 and Gradius II?). Maybe because even if I die it doesn't feel quite as bad as long as I go for the mission objective, and even if I fail I still get a unique stage out of it, which isn't so terrible. It really keeps me motivated when I play.

I really need to give the other arcade parodius games a fair shake too.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Border Down is hard. Doing pretty good through the first two stages and then stage 3 gets real difficult. Spent a few hours just chipping away at that stage tonight.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Oh hey, it's the "you have to expend all your shmup resources just to explore" game and you got denied an S-rank probably cause you're playing the dumb updated version where you have to expend all your shmup resources just to explore and you didn't have a bomb when the game expected you to have a bomb, because bombs are only for opening walls now, right?

I mean it was perfectly manageable when it was just one secret room per floor but between that and the whole "you never get any of your cool ammo for the cool fights, enjoy the peashooter, lol" thing, I honestly don't miss the game.

I thought it was a shmup with roguelike sensibilities but I see now the success of the game in its original incarnation was purely a fluke. The devs had no idea how good of a game they'd made and spent the pre-DLC era hyping up new weapons you'd basically never get to use due to the changes to the ammo balancing they made.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Oh hey, it's the "you have to expend all your shmup resources just to explore" game and you got denied an S-rank probably cause you're playing the dumb updated version where you have to expend all your shmup resources just to explore and you didn't have a bomb when the game expected you to have a bomb, because bombs are only for opening walls now, right?

I mean it was perfectly manageable when it was just one secret room per floor but between that and the whole "you never get any of your cool ammo for the cool fights, enjoy the peashooter, lol" thing, I honestly don't miss the game.

I thought it was a shmup with roguelike sensibilities but I see now the success of the game in its original incarnation was purely a fluke. The devs had no idea how good of a game they'd made and spent the pre-DLC era hyping up new weapons you'd basically never get to use due to the changes to the ammo balancing they made.
None of that was at all what screwed me. I just bitched out on a hacker door because I didn't trust myself to not screw up and it would have killed me.
I used Arena Blaster and had more than enough to do everything else.
To Far Away Times

Made it to Junko in Touhou 15 - Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom.

Man, this game is hard. Just taking hits everywhere. Lots to sloppy sections to clean up, but with enough perseverance I think I can get the clear someday.
StarLightMoonLight

Post by StarLightMoonLight »

Right now I'm grinding at the arrange mode in Game Tengoku, I've settled for using Z-Dyne (the Mecha character) since his homing lasers help for nearby enemies. I'm mainly stuck on the stage 3 boss now, since I usually end up succumbing to that one pattern where the bullets move towards you while a spiral of bullets come out, resorting to me either wasting bombs or dying. Stage 4 is also really tricky with how the letters emerge, I also despise how they come up behind you.
RobotParking

Post by RobotParking »

I've been trying to wrap my brain around hellsinker.
I also picked up the PSN version of Battle Garegga and managed to 1CC Super Easy.
On Switch, I've been messing with Moon Dancer.
Alpolio

Post by Alpolio »

Yars: Recharged. I signed up for Stadia Pro back in May and this was one of the free games this month. It is excellent! An awesome modern remix of a classic shmup!

https://stadia.google.com/capture/27ec6 ... 87f69c661a
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Depressing credit. No missed all the hard parts, chain died on completely trivial parts (including walking into a barrel on stage 10...) and none of the remaining lives got more than one hit off Wingate. I've only managed to beat him twice in practice. Hardest boss I've ever fought?
BIL

Post by BIL »

A nasty fight all-around, and at the end of a rather exhausting run. As some small consolation, it's quite neatly-organised, compared to the more chaotic feel of some earlier boss crowds. There's a really nice spot you can carve out at the lower-center screen - using the respawning Blue Rifle column from the left as a rough zoning guideline, speedkill them aggressively (note their considerable blind spots; they're limited to set angles within their 180' range; as shown, the lowermost one can even be stood behind safely).

The accompanying Grey Bandits from the left will be largely cut down at the same time, while the ones from the right are funneled by the water's edge into an easy kill zone. From the top, the Dynamiters can't reach you, and while the Purple Rifles' attack is nastier, it's not unlimited; plus they're a cinch to hose down while aiming fire at Pa himself.

This'll collectively free up the time and space you need to work around Pa's ridiculously long-decaying spreadshot and lengthy invincible crawls. As far as I know, if you can get this groove locked in, you've got all the time you need to whittle him down. I bet you'll nail it sooner than later, with some of the runs you've posted. :smile:
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I know what you mean - the ideal timing to attack seems to be after the 3 greys right, 1 grey left wave. But if you try patterning it too hard you'll inevitably get screwed over by random movement or dynamite or something and you'll never get a chance to hit him. I've had the best luck being really assertive and keeping the fight short, which is where the fatigue makes it hard.

BTW did you know about the boss despawn glitches? If you push a boss to the very top of the screen they'll get zipped off and you'll win instantly. You can easily do it to one of the Wingate Jrs which doesn't really accomplish anything, but I've also had it happen on Wolf Chief. Might be possible on other bosses with random jumping as well.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hadn't heard about the boss despawns! Totally figures though, with how skittish the game can get at times (particularly regarding the Horse). Wolf Chief's definitely one boss it'd be handy on, my most hated of the back half other than Pa himself.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

There are things other than the Astro Mini?
I hadn't noticed.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Been taking a shooter break playing some Hat In Time but nice to read what you all have been on
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Starting to play Raiden DX now.

Goal? Training/Alpha, Novice/Bravo, Expert/Charlie clear. And if I'm confident enough I'd go for JP Expert clear with stage 9 (that one requires NMNB until you beat stage 8!)
To Far Away Times

Touhou 18.5 is a lot of fun.

It goes all in on the rouge-like concept of Touhou 18.

Runs are very short and it can't be 1CC'd so it's not real stressful. I really like how it has some permanent progression but still raises the stakes so you'll still want to beat the bosses.
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

I temporarily put my long term goal of getting a 1-ALL on Dodonpachi to the side, because the difficulty curve is just kicking my ass a little too much as is right now, so I've been focusing on easier 1cc targets to build myself back up for another go in the future. I've been focusing on Crimzon Clover lately and got the Novice Original 1cc the other day; somehow I had forgotten how good it really was until I played it on a stream back in May; finally took a few days last week to actually sit down and learn the game enough to get the 1cc on that mode pretty quick. Next stop will be Novice Boost; my one run of it so far went pretty well, getting all the way up to the final boss, so I expect with a little more practice I'll be able to clear that quick too, despite the clear step up in difficulty from Original.

The other game I dusted off on a whim today was Blue Wish Resurrection Plus. I had gotten the super easy mode Heaven w Guard ON clear eons ago, and figured I'd try for another run and get the clear without using autobombs. I've only done a scouting run with Guard ON to remind myself what to expect, and a: man, seems very doable to clear Heaven without the autobombs; there was only one section in the entire 5 stages where my bomb stock really got dinged up, and it wasn't even the final boss; and b: I think the music in this might actually be better than Crimzon Clover's OST; I did not remember BWR+ having so many bangers.

I think the actual goal before I go back to banging my head against DDP some more will be a Mushihimesama clear on Original, but that's going to be a while off. Unclear if I want to do Deathsmiles before Mushi; there's definitely a few games I'm looking at playing around with and getting clears on before I tackle another CAVE game head-on.