Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Stevens

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Stevens »

The tanks are those three assholes that take off after the train on stage five.
LordHypnos wrote: Wait, so is there a technique to it then?
Not really. You just get used to the tank stopping to shoot.
LordHypnos wrote: As for RNG it actually seems like there's a lot. A lot of places you get different patterns from tanks on different playthroughs (actually, I think it might just be random which type of tank spawns). I haven't noticed too much which combinations are harder, but I bet some are. I do usually actually dodge those parts a lot on reflexes, and streaming and stuff, of course (since I think all patterns in these cases are aimed to some extent).
The mid sized tanks are random yes. In order of annoyance I would say the vulcan one that spits a flurry of bullets and then stops is the easiest to deal with. You can micro and macro dodge that pattern as the situation dictates.

The burst tank is in the middle. Easy by itself, but take care of it quickly or get overwhelmed.

The twin firing tank I hate the most. If you're not careful, especially on hard/2nd loop, it can pin you and is hard to cut back against.

Of course they rarely ever show up by themselves so the best advice is to kill them as fast as you can, even if you just pop the head off. Certain parts of the game can be easier or harder depending on which tanks show up. This is most obvious on stage five from the opening until the two heavy helicopters.
LordHypnos wrote: Also which option appears first when you kill a carrier enemy seems to be random, and that can be pretty rough, actually, at times. Also there's whether the big turrets in stage 4 shoot the electric pulse or the explosion spread thing. There are probably other things I'm not thinking of. Most of it isn't too bad, though.
Yeah with the cannons on stage four just presume you're going to get EMP'd. If you have a good route (meaning you quick kill those fuckers) you should get EMP'd twice on stage four and never on the boss.

As far as which option appears - the only time I have a different plan based on which option appears first is at the start of stage five.

Vulcan
Spoiler
It should allow you a quick recharge to destroy the last small tank just before the 1st behemoth shows up.

Rocket
Spoiler
Just grab it
Cannon
Spoiler
This is the only one with a practical application.

Do not pick it up yet. Take care of the remaining small tanks.
If you're timing is good (it's not strict) you can rocket the first tank, pick up the option for a rocket recharge and then rocket that asshole again for the quick kill.
My lord, I have come for you.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Yeah, fair point. Those RNG examples aren't too bad for the most part. Just occasionally can be annoying. I just mean that the game has a lot of RNG compared to other games. I haven't figured out whether the spiders in Stage 5 are RNG yet, actually, but I think they might be. I'm getting better at them, but I think I end up getting hit more than 50% of the time atm. Definitely one of the harder parts of stage 5. Another thing that can be a problem (though not RNG) is if your aim doesn't take on the rail tanks right before the spiders. You really need to kill those as fast as possible to avoid making the spiders even harder to beat, but if you miss your rocket even once there's a good chance you won't be able to. It's also a moving target, so it's relatively easy to miss compared to a lot of targets.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Darius Gaiden Saturn for me. probably my favorite Saturn shooter I own.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Looks like I'm closer on UD then I thought. I played a full run today and didn't game over until the final boss. That was even with making quite a few mistakes. Now I just need to not die until the final boss and I'm golden. Actually, I might be able to handle one death, even.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Haha, also really close on the clear:D

Died once the 3rd stage. Didn't bomb on stage three until the mid boss, should have bombed after him just once cause it cost me on a single snipe shot from a zako that I cut back into.

No missed stage four naturally, but had no bombs at the start of five. I died at 2nd of the heavy helicopters after a ten second period of absolutely god like evasion through the opening of stage five.

Lost my last life at the spiders. Close.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Life Fortress Volcabamba and Osorubeshi! Xaklogian at the moment. Never got past stage 4 in Volcabamba or stage 5 of Xaklogian's hard mode, but I'm sure I can clear them if I stick with them long enough to remember what to expect. Also making progress in Xaklogian's Stage X (secret stage). It's kind of like a non-danmaku take on Touhou extra stages, with the focus being on a boss with many phases. It even shows bars in the top-left corner of the screen to indicate how many phases are left, like the stars displayed in the same corner of Touhou games. I've never seen anyone clear this, though, so I actually don't know if there's anything afterwards. Hope I remember to record it if I do get a clear, since there's no replay feature.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Having cleared all routes in DBACEX, I'm now combing over levels I half-arsed my way through in CS mode around the time of release and improving my scores on them. I should be completely burnt out on this game by now (some 300 hours in), but if anything my interest is renewed - it feels fresh again.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Klatrymadon : Congrats on your QUZ 1life clear!
Are CS stages that interesting scoring-wise? I only played them to clear them and unlock other stages even if it was using presets that allow you to participate in the score rankings, so the only time I thought about scoring in that mode is when the clear/alternate route conditions force you to reach a specific score threshold.
Shepardus wrote:Xaklogian's Stage X (secret stage)
I didn't realize there was an special mode. How do you unlock it?
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Thanks, M.Knight! The scoring in CS mode isn't especially interesting, since most of the levels are just very slightly remixed versions of the arcade stages, so you use most of the same strategies and are generally trying to mop up whole waves of enemies with your burst or counterburst. Of course, there are a handful of really unique or extreme ones that are fun to challenge yourself with, and I always use preset ships so even some of the bog-standard ones can be tough. The main reason I'm returning to this mode is to finish off Suriaha and hopefully unlock the secret final stage, but it's been fun to revisit some of the earlier stages and do better at them, especially when I can see from my old score that I died on a really easy one. :p
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

M.Knight wrote:
Shepardus wrote:Xaklogian's Stage X (secret stage)
I didn't realize there was an special mode. How do you unlock it?
At the title screen (not the difficulty selection, but the screen before that), press K eight times.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Went out last Friday for an old friend's birthday to this place called Beercade that opened up a few years ago. After some catching up over drinks and shots I scouted out the place for a shmup that wasn't 1942 and happened to find a Neo Geo machine with Aero Fighters 2 in it :o. I've only put in about 2 hours max into SW2 previously, but I was happy to find a decent shmup and figured I should be able to snag a high score before the night was over. First credit, while drunk, I got the number 1 score with... only 200K pts... It was pretty disappointing. 2 or 3 credits later I finished with a slightly less pathetic 450K. I know there must be at least a few other people in this frozen city (Edmonton, AB, Canada) that have seen a shmup before, so if you're out on Whyte come and grab the easiest high score of your life.

Besides a certain other shmup that I'm waiting on posting about :roll:, I've been playing a bit of Parodius Da! and quite enjoying myself. The only complaint I can muster at the moment is that the Vegas girl section in stage 2 takes ages to get past in every run, but with Twinbee you can just sit in a safespot and throttle through 80% of it, so it's manageable in these circumstances. I've been trusting everyone's advice and never getting the second speed up, so it was interesting to accidentally pick another up and see how relentless the rank in this can be :shock:.

This is only vaguely shmup related, but in the Antarctic Adventure MSX game that Pentarou's father Penta originates from, that fucker can easily run over 50,000 Km/h (~30,000 MPH) Image. He can accelerate to max speed in just 3 seconds, which means his body can withstand over 500 gs without bursting all of his organs or breaking his bones. I'm not trying to get all "game theory" on everyone, I'm just genuinely blown away at how fast Konami decided this penguin needed to be. I'm dissatisfied that I can't reasonably move like that. If only we could harness this vast potential.
Last edited by Square_Air on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Square_Air wrote:I've been playing a bit of Parodius Da! and quite enjoying myself. The only complaint I can muster at the moment is that the Vegas girl section in stage 2 takes ages to get past in every run, but with Twinbee you can just sit in a safespot and throttle through 80% of it, so it's manageable in these circumstances. I've been trusting everyone's advice and never getting the second speed up, so it was interesting to accidentally pick another up and see how relentless the rank in this can be :shock:.
Try getting three speedups and a shield. :lol: You can monitor the rank yourself with a MAME cheat I posted here. And yes, the Vegas girl section does kind of drag after playing through it a lot - there's little you can do except sit around and hope nobody comes by and asks what you're doing. At least it's still pretty short compared to the rest of the game.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Thanks for the tip Shepardus!
That extra mode is really something. The patterns are much faster than what normal mode has to offer, I like it.
Also, the
Spoiler
fake, booby-trapped "extend"
defintely got me on my first try. :lol:
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Yeah, it's fun and the challenge is surprisingly fair and legitimate considering the *spoiler* (which made me dismiss the stage as a mere joke mode for a long while). I haven't been able to get more than about halfway through, though.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Took a break from Under Defeat and finally got the Valkyrius normal 1cc (or 0cc as that game calls it). It's certainly been long enough. Also tried the much faster hard mode, and it seems pretty fun. One flaw of normal is that the first 3 stages are kind of a slog, but they move a lot faster in hard, so cool. Didn't make it too far though. Will probably try to 1cc that at some point, though I'm guessing it will require more stage practice than normal did.
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Decided to skip trying to get captures of Triggerheart and Giga Wing 2 for now, and just jump right into Blue Revolver. I know Blue Revolver isn't normally considered hard, but I'm really bad at micrododging right now, so I think it will be more of a challenge for me that for most people. Exactly how much of a challenge we shall see. Maybe it will just go by fast. Who knows?

I do really like how it does bombs. Instead of resetting bombs when you die you just get another one. Basically eliminates the part about bombs that I dislike. I will need to make sure I'm using them often enough to not ever gain a bomb when I already have max bombs, though.
1) Create Scoring System
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Tatsujin. It's hard!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I got a personal best in Gradius III yesterday, playing it for the first time in probably a year. Somehow even managed to do the bubble stage without dying - now that's novel. I mean, the crappy 3D stage killed me almost immediately because I forgot how sensitive the movement is, but hey!

Gradius IV did not go as well... that bubble stage is such a pain in the ass with those hitboxes.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I've had DoDonPachi 5 since it's XBox launch but I didn't give it much time. I decided to come back to it and wow, this is the hardest game I've ever played. :c
I tend to restart a lot from stupid deaths and little mistakes. I am seeing a bit of progress at least. I can end stage 1 with 6 hypers on a good day and enter stage 3 with 8. But, I get totally wiped out by Genbu. Even hitting my second extend at Scion, he still really packs a punch and drains my lives. I had a lot less trouble with the bosses in DoDonPachi 3. These guys are ruthless! And the stages aren't that much more forgiving.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Blue Revolver Hyper mode (probably should have specified hyper mode before)

Today I worked on trying to finish figuring out a route for stage 2, and I think I have a decent one. I did a run that ended up pretty good too. Got the extend before stage 2 and made it all the way to the stage 3 boss (for the first time in this mode). I'm playing more for the clear than for score, but trying to score a little. Definitely enjoying the game so far. I think the rank is done pretty well, and the way bombs are done is really nice. Lot of intensity. Good scoring system too even though it's not my focus.

Currently playing Mae / Power / Cluster Missile. Pretty sure I'm the only person to do this combination. lol.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

UD. The one game I'll always came back to.

Been enjoying trying to clear the 2nd Loop again at max difficulty. I've only the time for a few credits a week, but have been making them count. Last two runs I bought it on the last bosses 2nd form.

Some notable and new things from my most recent credits-

I may have already mentioned it, but my dodging has improved to a point I never thought I could reach in UD. You can squeeze that helicopter through some dense shit.

I'm far better at improvising and recovering if my plan goes off rails for some reason.

I've managed to take down the stage four boss twice now without bombs. First time there was only 15 seconds left on the clock. That fight was brutal and super intense (think I accidentally picked up cannon), wish I had it on video tbh.

The second fight I was able to quick kill him and as a result think I may have a solid no bomb method, but need to test it in training.

Lastly starting stage five sans bombs is no longer a death sentence. Have to credit Lord Hypnos's with that. Didn't know that strategy for dealing with the two tanks at the start of five. I usually Always need a bomb after I kill them. Thanks LH!
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Thank Hydeux of Team Shmup 'em all for that one :mrgreen: Does bad things for your score / shot down %, though. Probably not too big a deal when you're already on the second loop though (and therefore don't need to qualify for the second loop. Actually I'm surprised that works on the second loop, but I don't know anything about that. Sounds like you're making some serious progress though :) I wish you could get a video, as well.
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:I wish you could get a video, as well.
If I have the resources (a bomb) I'll take the tanks down and go as long as I can but I usually need that bomb at some point before the two heavy helicopters spawn. Haven't come up with a reliable no bomb route for that part yet.

The medium tanks all have increased health, although I may be able to come up with something based around just popping the tops off. The RNG spawns make it pretty hard since at some point a burst or two will be in the air.

I have scoring replays of every stage that I may be able to low tech record for you. Depends of the storage of my wife's phone.

If that's an option is there anything in particular you would like to see?
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I'm not specifically interested in anything, just kind of curious how 2nd loop hard looks and what kind of strats you got going on. Also no real issue with shitty cellphone camera footage. If i were just interested in scoring tricks there's always kiken's video
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:I'm not specifically interested in anything, just kind of curious how 2nd loop hard looks and what kind of strats you got going on. Also no real issue with shitty cellphone camera footage. If i were just interested in scoring tricks there's always kiken's video
OK. I'll take some practice runs, but play it like I've been playing and then send you some random stuff that either caught my eye in your video or things I have refined since upping the difficulty.

Stage 4 NMNB boss strat incoming:D.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:I'm not specifically interested in anything, just kind of curious how 2nd loop hard looks and what kind of strats you got going on. Also no real issue with shitty cellphone camera footage. If i were just interested in scoring tricks there's always kiken's video
OK. I'll take some practice runs, but play it like I've been playing and then send you some random stuff that either caught my eye in your video or things I have refined since upping the difficulty.

^That actually is pretty interesting. My S4boss was very bomb dependent. Also first loop / normal difficulty
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:
Stevens wrote:

^That actually is pretty interesting. My S4boss was very bomb dependent. Also first loop / normal difficulty
My strat was always one bomb in the 1st loop and since I've been playing again I was using two in the 2nd loop.

Reaching him with none the other day forced me to figure out a quick kill sans bombs. Now I just have to recreate it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:
My strat was always one bomb in the 1st loop and since I've been playing again I was using two in the 2nd loop.

Reaching him with none the other day forced me to figure out a quick kill sans bombs. Now I just have to recreate it.
Nice! Good luck figuring that out.

My current progress in BR Hyper mode is that I already forgot most of my stage 2 route, and I'm really inconsistent at stage 1. Was trying to route the beginning of stage 3 as well. We'll see if it sticks.
1) Create Scoring System
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

Danmaku Unlimited 3 on the Switch. It’s difficult getting used to the graze system as I’ve never played a shmup that utilises something like this. It’s very difficult.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:
Stevens wrote:

Nice! Good luck figuring that out.
Got it:D

It took me about an hour to iron out the details, but I have three short NMNB videos of the 2-4 boss on hard difficulty.

They are all similar in time and spawns, but there is a chance of RNG making things a little more hectic just before the kill shot that can fuck you if you aren't aware of it.

I'll probably have a chance to post them tomorrow night, along with notes on each video.

I'll post them here and in the strategy thread along with whatever notes are pertinent.

EDIT - Forgot to mention it - average kill time is only 10-15 seconds longer.
Last edited by Stevens on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.