Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
malc
Site Admin

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by malc »

Hi again, it's me.

Probably best place to start, after being in the dry dry desert for fucking ages.

Right, this little title gets no love, but I've been playing it constantly for months. Yes, I know it's an IOS game, and real shmuppers dont slide and drag, but I love it:

SHOOMACHI

or

"is it wrong to strike a bonanza by a shoot em up game"
(I can't catch the full title, it goes away too quick)

I love it because it just feels right. There is no IAPs really - even though it looks like there is. Well, just one, the rest are food for the developer and do nothing.

Anyway it has loads of characters, levelling up, supremely playable, ten levels which get progressively harder, three active levels of difficulty and some fun pixel art. Overall though, it has a very polished quality that so many commercial releases can lack.

Negatives - the lack of tuneful variety.

There's just something about it, it's my go to shmup when on the toilet, or waiting at the bus stop, or on the bus, or driving the bus. I'm on stage 5-10 now, which is actually 50 levels in, and its becoming a wee bit repetitive. However, the extra characters to level up with their unique weapons help.

Give it a try, make sure you get a few levels in before you decide I'm wrong and it's actually shite.

bye Malc
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Trying to 1cc Deathsmiles.

Got my best run so far, all the way to the final boss:

Honestly, aside from a very dumb miss I had on the final stage (which made all the difference at the end), I had a pretty much perfect run.

Blasted through all the six stages just using one bomb.

And man, when I was at the final boss I was shaking. I can't remember the last time I felt like this in a game. Shmups are really something, aren't they? :lol: :lol:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

LichbannMejolaro wrote: And man, when I was at the final boss I was shaking. I can't remember the last time I felt like this in a game. Shmups are really something, aren't they? :lol: :lol:
Too true.

Did a few different games in the past few days. Triggerheart Exelica, Eschatos, Zero Gunner 2, Mars Matrix (including a little bit of Elite Mode A). Mostly focusing on Triggerheart, though. It's surprisingly difficult to come up with a consistent route in this, for some reason. I did finally manage to get a higher score, but I still can't seem to no miss the first two stages in one run, which is really annoying. They're not that hard, god damn it!
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

malc wrote:Hi again, it's me.

Probably best place to start, after being in the dry dry desert for fucking ages.

Right, this little title gets no love, but I've been playing it constantly for months. Yes, I know it's an IOS game, and real shmuppers dont slide and drag, but I love it:
It's on Android as well. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .shoomachi
malc wrote: SHOOMACHI

or

"is it wrong to strike a bonanza by a shoot em up game"
Pretty sure that's a parody of a well known/infamous LN/Manga/Anime https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_It_Wro ... Dungeon%3F
Mero

Post by Mero »

Yeah I was playing it for a while on Android, gave up on it after a while because you're just doing identical loops over and over and over.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

There is a korean guy streaming DOJ right now untill he get 1cc. I'm checking now and then and hes making quick progress (got to the stage with the ddp canyons). Fun to watch
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Been playing a couple things lately:
  • Parodius Da! - Still attempting to take the community record for Vic Viper, but not doing well in my runs. Probably just too tired these days, but might also need to take a break for a while. Or set up some savestates and practice those for once.
    My PB is exactly 7,000 points behind Seahawk's Vic Viper record (1,016,800 points vs. 1,023,800), and there's a number of ways I can reach that. If I can successfully checkpoint-milk the final boss with even one extra life, it's virtually guaranteed, since each kill of the final boss is worth 100,000 points. A successful checkpoint milk nets 400,000 extra points since you can have up to four extra lives (there's two extends in the game). There's also a plethora of small optimizations I can make throughout the stages, mainly milking destructible projectiles from enemies and certain bosses, which I estimate can bring me another 200-300k. The highest score I've had before reaching the final boss was about 970k (unfortunately, that run failed just before reaching the final checkpoint and I lost all my lives to the penultimate checkpoint), and the way I play now I could probably get a little over 1 million on an ideal run. The highest-scoring replays I've seen reach about 1.3 million before the final boss (1.8 million after defeating it five times), which is where my estimate comes from - the difference comes mainly from all these little optimizations adding up. Another option is simply getting farther in the second loop, though needless to say that's difficult.
    I do like this game's scoring - it's very "balanced" in the sense that no single source of points (regular kills, bells, extra lives/checkpoint-milking, projectile/boss milking) totally dominates the others, leaving multiple avenues for improvement as I mentioned (in contrast with something like Mushihimesama Original mode where all other optimizations are pointless if you aren't no-missing). It's also "balanced" in the sense that points are pretty evenly distributed across the stages, and also the two loops. It's also simple (the rank system is the only thing in this game that I think isn't obvious).
    The game's sheer length makes it very disheartening to die late in the run after doing well on so much before, but also disheartening to die early in the run because there's still so much left. 40 minutes for one loop is already long, I don't know how anybody manages to keep themselves for the hour and a half it takes to go through two loops. Also checkpoint recovery at high rank kind of sucks, so a death in one of the last three stages usually doesn't stop at one.
  • Detana!! TwinBee - Need to de-rust on this even though I haven't even left it for that long. I was able to make it to the stage 6 boss today. Maybe I can aim for 2 million points next?
  • TwinBee Yahho! - Want to get a 6-stage clear of Practice mode. I enjoy this mode a lot more than Normal and Special because the increased leniency on the bells means I don't have to spend my time watching every single shot, quickening the pace of the game. Having to maintain the bell chain for the first three stages in order to reach the fourth stage is a bit annoying, but it's not terribly difficult as long as you don't get overzealous going for every bell in stage 2. The patterns are a bit easier than in Normal but the rank is so aggressive if you score well that even Practice mode gets intense.
  • Battlantis - I only play this when I don't have time for anything else because I know I'm not going to get far.
LichbannMejolaro wrote:Trying to 1cc Deathsmiles.

Nice progress so far. Good on you for picking the best girl. :wink: (though Rosa's actually the most OP in non-Mega Black Label Deathsmiles)

I would recommend playing the Steam version (or the Xbox 360 version if you have access to it) - MAME struggles with late CAVE games, in both performance and accuracy. Also, you could get yourself some extra extends if you play around with the scoring a bit more - for instance, if you use a power up around the start of the volcano stage on rank 3, you can easily get tens of millions of points from the streams of rocks.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LichbannMejolaro

wgogh wrote:There is a korean guy streaming DOJ right now untill he get 1cc. I'm checking now and then and hes making quick progress (got to the stage with the ddp canyons). Fun to watch
Twitch?

What is his username?
LichbannMejolaro

Shepardus wrote:

Nice progress so far. Good on you for picking the best girl. :wink: (though Rosa's actually the most OP in non-Mega Black Label Deathsmiles)

I would recommend playing the Steam version (or the Xbox 360 version if you have access to it) - MAME struggles with late CAVE games, in both performance and accuracy. Also, you could get yourself some extra extends if you play around with the scoring a bit more - for instance, if you use a power up around the start of the volcano stage on rank 3, you can easily get tens of millions of points from the streams of rocks.
I'm feeling like a idiot now.

Before I read your answer, I was playing the game, and exactly on the volcano stage on rank 3, I pressed A+B by chance, and the girl started going crazy and my score getting up quickly.

I had no idea that the game had this "Power Up Shot". I thought it was only regular shot and laser.

Everything changed now, the only time I was able to get an extend was exactly on the run I mentioned. With this, I was at 15 mi on the second stage so I'll try to get around scoring now.

Also, I have the X360 version of the game, but was playing the Mame one just because of the easiness to capture the gameplay with OBS. Had no idea about the Steam version, though, gonna buy it right now!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Finally tried out Raiden V : The Director's Cut. Oh my fucking gawd. How did they manage to screw up Raiden this badly? It's like screwing up mashed potatos. You boil the water, you pour the packet ..

Fucking first boss is just a bunch of parts and then it just .. dies. Also, when you use a bomb, it appears UNDER the boss. Why? Second level is a barren desert. The desert level I put in XOP Black has more shit going on than this, lol.

And those zoomed out scenes. Why, just why? I hate having to squint to even see where the enemies are. Yes, everyone has big screen TVs now, doesn't mean that you can make everything so tiny that you need a magnifying glass to see anything.

Goes without saying I turned the voice acting off, but the text still appears all over the screen and it doesn't seem there's any way to turn it off. Get that shit outta here. Difficulty feels like a joke unless you put it on the hardest skill, too. Not that I had it in me to play for long.

Sorry to anyone who actually enjoyed this game, but underwhelming would be putting it lightly. When I bought a JP region Xbox 360 back in 2008 to play Raiden 4, I thought it was totally worth it. If I had gotten this instead, I might've just shipped it back in a cardboard box .. lol
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

LichbannMejolaro wrote:
Shepardus wrote:

I'm feeling like a idiot now.

Before I read your answer, I was playing the game, and exactly on the volcano stage on rank 3, I pressed A+B by chance, and the girl started going crazy and my score getting up quickly.

I had no idea that the game had this "Power Up Shot". I thought it was only regular shot and laser.

Everything changed now, the only time I was able to get an extend was exactly on the run I mentioned. With this, I was at 15 mi on the second stage so I'll try to get around scoring now.

Also, I have the X360 version of the game, but was playing the Mame one just because of the easiness to capture the gameplay with OBS. Had no idea about the Steam version, though, gonna buy it right now!
Check out the guide here, it'll explain everything you need to know.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LichbannMejolaro

Shepardus wrote: Check out the guide here, it'll explain everything you need to know.

Thanks a lot!

Following some tips of the guide I got a bit better:

Still dying at the last boss, though. Need to find a better strategy for that asshole.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

LichbannMejolaro wrote:
wgogh wrote:There is a korean guy streaming DOJ right now untill he get 1cc. I'm checking now and then and hes making quick progress (got to the stage with the ddp canyons). Fun to watch
Twitch?

What is his username?
Yes, twitch
비쥬류군
nice guy, not fluent in english, but can say a few words. eventually got the first loop clear on the end of the marathon, counting 12 hours, even though sometimes he was dying even on the first level. godspeed to this guy.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

LichbannMejolaro wrote:Still dying at the last boss, though. Need to find a better strategy for that asshole.
Bomb it to hell (seriously). IIRC you get a 2-up if you don't bomb on Jitterbug, so that can give you everything you need to spam bombs through all the hard parts of Tyrannosatan.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Marc

Post by Marc »

Played some SNES Gradius III last night. It's infinitely preferable to the sadistic arcade version. Much easier on the blood pressure at my age.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Gave Infinos Gaiden a try. It plays like a unreleased 90's Taito game that suddenly showed up in MAME. That's how I felt while playing it. Good game, definitely recommended. Also, it has a free demo. http://store.steampowered.com/app/77107 ... os_Gaiden/
Marc wrote:Played some SNES Gradius III last night. It's infinitely preferable to the sadistic arcade version. Much easier on the blood pressure at my age.
This is the only time the SNES slow-ass CPU is actually useful for something .. :lol:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Still on Triggerheart Exelica. Holy shit stage 4 is impossible. This game definitely has its own field of death. Anyone know how to get through this mess? Also, while I seem to be getting a little better on stages 1 and 2, 3 is still giving me a lot of trouble.
1) Create Scoring System
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Gradius III, died on the last stage. Why not, I should die everywhere before I win.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

OmKol wrote:Gradius III, died on the last stage. Why not, I should die everywhere before I win.
You can't truly win unless you've died in stage 10 and gotten sent back to the boss rush.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Shepardus wrote:
OmKol wrote:Gradius III, died on the last stage. Why not, I should die everywhere before I win.
You can't truly win unless you've died in stage 10 and gotten sent back to the boss rush.
That's exactly what happened to me. I literally died in the very last possible spot before the checkpoint apparently, I was already well inside the base and it shipped me all the way back to the beginning of the boss rush. I nearly shut the game off right then and there but I was on my last life so I figured why the hell not just end it properly instead of quitting. Somehow I ended up clearing the game on that run, which always serves as a reminder to me that these things aren't really truly over until your last life is gone.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

:?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

pegboy wrote:
Shepardus wrote:
That's exactly what happened to me. I literally died in the very last possible spot before the checkpoint apparently, I was already well inside the base and it shipped me all the way back to the beginning of the boss rush. I nearly shut the game off right then and there but I was on my last life so I figured why the hell not just end it properly instead of quitting. Somehow I ended up clearing the game on that run, which always serves as a reminder to me that these things aren't really truly over until your last life is gone.
Your run was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that. Truly a heroic journey.
Kollision wrote:Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cARpZRj2hmA&t=3020s
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

ended up replaying a couple of particularly good games in MAME in anticipation of the top 25 vote. One of them is V . V, which is really quite fun, but holy shit is the stage 2 boss hard. It feels like it's a pattern that you could just do the same thing every time to dodge, but I think the guys that come out and shoot at you are slightly out of sync with the lasers that come at you from the side. Have gotten past it many times in save states, but can't figure out a consistent route for this.
The other ones were Dangun Feveron, Fantasy Zone II (which I actually have on 3DS) and Juno First. By using the power of bombs, I actually managed to make it to stage 3 of Dangun, but it's also quite hard. Definitely a very fun game though. Juno First is probably just my favorite single screen shooter. Kind of nice for a some casual action. Fantasy Zone II is super fun. When I first tried it I didn't like it too much, but then a combination of trying to get through levels fast, mostly focusing on the bases, and autofire really opened it up to being an amazingly fun game.
Also reviewed a couple of old favorites in Gunbird 2, and Samidare. Didn't spend as much time. Both are great. Gunbird 2 unfortunately seems to have a lot of input lag in vanilla mame :(, also I haven't really found a character that I like as much as Morrigan. I should probably just play Tavia, because anything else is kind of an unneeded handicap. Also I should play in shmupmame.

Still plugging away at Triggerheart, but I just can't seem to get any better at the field of death in stage 4
1) Create Scoring System
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

LordHypnos wrote:ended up replaying a couple of particularly good games in MAME in anticipation of the top 25 vote. One of them is V . V, which is really quite fun, but holy shit is the stage 2 boss hard. It feels like it's a pattern that you could just do the same thing every time to dodge, but I think the guys that come out and shoot at you are slightly out of sync with the lasers that come at you from the side. Have gotten past it many times in save states, but can't figure out a consistent route for this.
Having the right weapon really helps with that boss. I'm partial to missiles + two speedups, but figure out what works best for you.
LordHypnos wrote:Gunbird 2 unfortunately seems to have a lot of input lag in vanilla mame :(
It only has one frame of input lag in MAME, which puts it on the lower end of input lag. Psikyo's earlier games (before Sol Divide and Strikers II) have more lag, at three frames.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Shepardus wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:ended up replaying a couple of particularly good games in MAME in anticipation of the top 25 vote. One of them is V . V, which is really quite fun, but holy shit is the stage 2 boss hard. It feels like it's a pattern that you could just do the same thing every time to dodge, but I think the guys that come out and shoot at you are slightly out of sync with the lasers that come at you from the side. Have gotten past it many times in save states, but can't figure out a consistent route for this.
Having the right weapon really helps with that boss. I'm partial to missiles + two speedups, but figure out what works best for you.
LordHypnos wrote:Gunbird 2 unfortunately seems to have a lot of input lag in vanilla mame :(
It only has one frame of input lag in MAME, which puts it on the lower end of input lag. Psikyo's earlier games (before Sol Divide and Strikers II) have more lag, at three frames.
That's interesting. 1 frame doesn't seem like it should be noticeable. I wonder why it felt laggy to me? Tried playing it again, and it didn't as much, so cool!

Thanks for the V . V advice, but it would kind of help to see it, I guess. Only run I can find on YT is Perikles and he's using level 3 search. It does look a lot easier with level 3 search compared to level 1 or 2 search, but I don't think I should count on having that even if I did manage to do it some time, just given the fact that I need to get and refresh shield too often, and probably lose a life by that point, anyway. I will have to try with missile at some point, though it sure doesn't seem like missile or more speed would help just thinking about it and looking.

Not that anyone cares, but I was rewatching how Fero Swan (who has a Triggerheart perfect play on YT) gets through the field of death, and it does seem like I finally understand a little bit more of what is going on there, but I can't seem to pull it off yet. It might be harder with autoswing off (Fero has it on), but it doesn't look much harder.
1) Create Scoring System
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

LordHypnos wrote:Thanks for the V . V advice, but it would kind of help to see it, I guess. Only run I can find on YT is Perikles and he's using level 3 search. It does look a lot easier with level 3 search compared to level 1 or 2 search, but I don't think I should count on having that even if I did manage to do it some time, just given the fact that I need to get and refresh shield too often, and probably lose a life by that point, anyway. I will have to try with missile at some point, though it sure doesn't seem like missile or more speed would help just thinking about it and looking.
For more videos you should check out the highest scoring replays thread. I just tried playing the game again and I think missile isn't any easier, I just like using it because it's good on the parts before and after. You can also do it with shot if you spread it out wide enough to destroy the spawning enemies (it just takes a while because shot doesn't do a lot of damage when it's spread out). Whatever you do, it's much easier if you're able to destroy the enemies before they fire.

Also, you should practice until you're comfortable enough to go without shield until reaching level 3 powerup. You can get all the shields you want after that, but if you do it before you're just sacrificing power which will lead to you needing shield more which will cause you to forego more power upgrades and so on. I've heard that getting to max power drives rank up so you might want to stay one level below that (which I think is rank 3) for the first half of the game.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:One of them is V . V
Because of my adult on set retardation I had to look at this about five times before I realized what you were talking about. You have reminded me (thank you) I started 2017 in what was basically a Toaplan coma. VV, Dogyuun, and Tatsujin Oh were my play list for the better part of a month. I recommend trying the other two also.

I didn't clear VV as my well know ADD kicked in and I went on to something else, but I did quite enjoy my time with it. I think I was reaching stage five when I moved on, but I do remember my weapon of choice was the default beefed up to max, and then obviously shields. I had some rudimentary (solid) strats for the bosses though - stage two's was based around the default guns fan being used to take care of the zakos and then concentrating it to deal damage while avoiding the laser and the shots from the side.

Obviously it sounds easy but that fucker was always a nerve wrackingish affair in a way no stage two boss ever should be:D

Still throwing down with Thunder Force IV once or twice a week but haven't progressed beyond stage eight just yet. Totally enjoying my time with it though.

Been playing some Yoshi's Island and enjoying it far more than I ever thought I would since I usually don't play Mario/Sonic type platformers. Feels a lot like a Treasure game (to me anyways) and I think that is why I'm digging it so much.

Also splitting time with Blackthorne and Alien Soldier. AS is another game on my growing "Why did I wait 20+ years to play this?" list.
My lord, I have come for you.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Shepardus wrote: For more videos you should check out the highest scoring replays thread. I just tried playing the game again and I think missile isn't any easier, I just like using it because it's good on the parts before and after. You can also do it with shot if you spread it out wide enough to destroy the spawning enemies (it just takes a while because shot doesn't do a lot of damage when it's spread out). Whatever you do, it's much easier if you're able to destroy the enemies before they fire.
Thanks for the link. Especially with how unsearchable V . V is as a game. It seems like there's no one spelling that is the standard, hahaha. And yeah, I was actually thinking about shot as being something that might make it a bit easier. The zakos that the boss spits out are definitely wherein the difficulty lies.
Also, you should practice until you're comfortable enough to go without shield until reaching level 3 powerup. You can get all the shields you want after that, but if you do it before you're just sacrificing power which will lead to you needing shield more which will cause you to forego more power upgrades and so on. I've heard that getting to max power drives rank up so you might want to stay one level below that (which I think is rank 3) for the first half of the game.
You're probably right about this. Maybe I should drill out an ultra solid route for stages 1 and 2 before worrying about the stage 2 boss so that I can get powered up. It sounds like V . V might (against first impressions) actually be a one life game as well, like R-Type :?
Stevens wrote: Because of my adult on set retardation I had to look at this about five times before I realized what you were talking about. You have reminded me (thank you) I started 2017 in what was basically a Toaplan coma. VV, Dogyuun, and Tatsujin Oh were my play list for the better part of a month. I recommend trying the other two also.

I didn't clear VV as my well know ADD kicked in and I went on to something else, but I did quite enjoy my time with it. I think I was reaching stage five when I moved on, but I do remember my weapon of choice was the default beefed up to max, and then obviously shields. I had some rudimentary (solid) strats for the bosses though - stage two's was based around the default guns fan being used to take care of the zakos and then concentrating it to deal damage while avoiding the laser and the shots from the side.

Obviously it sounds easy but that fucker was always a nerve wrackingish affair in a way no stage two boss ever should be:D
[/quote]
Oh, nice. I'm starting to think that I should try facing off against the boss with just plain shot. FWIW, my favorite weapon is search. That really needs to be in more games.

I probably should try out Dogyuun and Tatsujin Ou, but somehow they don't seem as appealing to me. V . V is really modern feeling for a game of its time, which is part of the appeal (It kind of hits a good spot right between oldschool and modern). Batsugun is more modern feeling, but a little bit less interesting mechanically, to me anyway. Then again, this is based on playing a decent chunk of V . V, but not really seeing much past the second level, so really it's hard to formulate an opinion based on that.
1) Create Scoring System
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

LordHypnos wrote:You're probably right about this. Maybe I should drill out an ultra solid route for stages 1 and 2 before worrying about the stage 2 boss so that I can get powered up. It sounds like V . V might (against first impressions) actually be a one life game as well, like R-Type :?
While I would heartily recommend refining routes for this game (I started with the MD port and couldn't get past stage 3 at first, but once all the pieces fell into place it worked a lot better for me), it is surprisingly lenient upon recovery, even in loop 2. I wouldn't have thought that possible at first, but due to the fact that the game starts you with one speed-up activated and the considerable decrease in rank upon dying, you can definitely overcome every checkpoint in the game. It will irrevocably kill your score, but that shouldn't be your concern right now, anyway. :)
LordHypnos wrote:I probably should try out Dogyuun and Tatsujin Ou, but somehow they don't seem as appealing to me.
Skip Tatsujin Ou, give Dogyuun a chance. Dogyuun is a surprising case of an inductive game, as it were. Usually, you want to have solid fundamentals and then build up your specific gimmick on top of that, Dogyuun sort of works the other way around, which is extremely rare. The Rayxanber II speed-up armament is nothing short of stellar and several of the trickier sections and bosses are grand fun, those are veritable spectacles. Game has a few lulls for sure, I find it to be overall great, though.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Perikles wrote: While I would heartily recommend refining routes for this game (I started with the MD port and couldn't get past stage 3 at first, but once all the pieces fell into place it worked a lot better for me), it is surprisingly lenient upon recovery, even in loop 2. I wouldn't have thought that possible at first, but due to the fact that the game starts you with one speed-up activated and the considerable decrease in rank upon dying, you can definitely overcome every checkpoint in the game. It will irrevocably kill your score, but that shouldn't be your concern right now, anyway. :)
Suprisingly lenient upon recovery was actually my first impression of V . V because of the one speed up thing, as well as the fact that it never brings you to pea shooter level firepower
Skip Tatsujin Ou, give Dogyuun a chance. Dogyuun is a surprising case of an inductive game, as it were. Usually, you want to have solid fundamentals and then build up your specific gimmick on top of that, Dogyuun sort of works the other way around, which is extremely rare. The Rayxanber II speed-up armament is nothing short of stellar and several of the trickier sections and bosses are grand fun, those are veritable spectacles. Game has a few lulls for sure, I find it to be overall great, though.
Will definitely make sure to do this some time soon. It's kind of funny, I think I watched an STGWeekly episode about Dogyuun a while back, but I can't actually remember what the mechanics of the game were.
1) Create Scoring System