Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Marc

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Marc »

So had a proper session with Dragon Blaze last night - didn't know the charge shot worked off a meter as the game is scaled weirdly in docked mode and the meter is only barely visible at the bottom of the screen. Assumed I'd be able to fix it in display options, and there's no resize option. These ports in general feel just a little bare bones in comparison to the ACA series, like there's just enough been done to get them running on Switch but precious little else.

The game itself.... ouch. I'm deeply average at best, but this is the first time I've ever played a shooter where an hours play hasn't seen me to at least the third stage on one credit. I don't know what it is at all, but I find it amazingly difficult in comparison to other Psikyo shooters, well, other shooters in general full stop. SO hard in fact, that I didn't really have an awful lot of fun playing it. Some of it is definitely the way that the bullets are all the same colour, yet in between the usual Psikyo patterns there are Cave-style slower waves trying to push you about the screen - my brain just scrambles and I can't make sense of any of it. Is it noted for its difficulty, or is it just me? I'll probably go back and try again because I really like the aesthetics and it does feel somewhat different than their usual stuff, but god....
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

No progress on GW reflectless, boo.

But I did (after a night of gloriously bad deaths and stage 1 restarts) manage to get a 2 player no-miss clear with a friend whilst netplaying. Was pretty scary at the end, low on bombs in Stage 6 and played risky on a few patterns to try and desperately save bombs for the TLB fight. Worked out nicely in the end, even though there was a massive close call with the TLB's second last attack. Sheer panic dodging!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR7KSKEbd4w
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:But I did (after a night of gloriously bad deaths and stage 1 restarts) manage to get a 2 player no-miss clear with a friend whilst netplaying.
I did that some time ago. The scariest enemy was the lag that happened sometimes.
One of the best shmups for multiplayer that I know about.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:No progress on GW reflectless, boo.

But I did (after a night of gloriously bad deaths and stage 1 restarts) manage to get a 2 player no-miss clear with a friend whilst netplaying. Was pretty scary at the end, low on bombs in Stage 6 and played risky on a few patterns to try and desperately save bombs for the TLB fight. Worked out nicely in the end, even though there was a massive close call with the TLB's second last attack. Sheer panic dodging!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR7KSKEbd4w
With all the no reflect practice you're getting I'd imagine the game with reflect is almost easy mode for you.
My lord, I have come for you.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Stevens wrote:With all the no reflect practice you're getting I'd imagine the game with reflect is almost easy mode for you.
Hahah, yeah, I've got the game very well memorized at this point... When messing in multiplayer I've tried to rotate characters too, so I've got a good handle on the different stage orders and what boss attacks change in the first three stages.

I should go back to Giga Wing, but I've currently been distracted with Monolith, which is possibly the game of the year for me (a shmuppy dungeon crawler, it's AMAZING), and with Risk of Rain, messing with some Miner runs.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Monolith looked pretty cool, especially for a twin stick. I'm definitely gonna get that eventually.

Finally tried some more full runs of B*R Hyper Mode. Got a pretty significant improvement to my score (from 45 mil to 57 mil, but still haven't cleared. That run was followed by much failure, unfortunately. Better luck next time.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Monolith is something I've been meaning to check out actually. I remember looking at some of the earlier in-development shots while it was being made and thinking it had a really neat twist with genre combos. Good to see someone else can vouch for it.

I've been playing a bit of Thunder Force V recently on my Saturn. Mostly because I got too worked up playing impossibly hard shootemups and needed something easier to wash the vitriolic acid out of my mouth.

A breezy 1CC of Normal led me to try Hard, which outside a few spots, wasn't much different. It's still the same old Thunder Force V, all its quirks and flaws intact! Namely, Hard mirrors Normal in that all of its difficulty is packed into its last stage. It still took me a few tries to get through the final boss successfully, but I made it, abusing Free Range's unholy lightning as long as I could. I did this mostly to unlock the final difficulty, Master. Master is at least an improvement over the previous difficulties in a few crucial areas, from my initial impressions:

-probably 4x the bullets on screen of Normal or Hard - enemies essentially shoot entirely different patterns now
-No more WARNING flashes to telegraph when enemies will come from different angles
-Enemy swarms are now FAR more likely to come from the left side of the screen

I haven't played far enough to see how Free Range, the bane of TFV's existence, can alter these positive dynamics, but I appreciate the extra effort. Just imagine if there was a way to play without Over-Weapons... I've also started taking notice that there is an optional 'challenge' to the game which involves getting a perfect score, achievable (IIRC) only on Master and on the Saturn. This challenge of maxing out the game's score counter has been noted by other forum posters before. I don't know if it is something I'd put serious effort into, but it's an interesting idea to make a shmup with a feasible path towards a "perfect" run.

With that being said, I've also taken up the game's scoreboard, so now all of you who want an easy clear to plop into your 1CC lists for bragging rights should rush to fill up my leaderboard. 8)
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Ibara is bending me over right now...
I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

XoPachi wrote:Ibara is bending me over right now...
Whenever I feel like this about any game some time off is always a good idea. Take a few days and come back to it wish fresh eyes.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I finished Dimension Drive's normal mode.

The game's main concept is a bit disorienting at first but is rather well used in the levels. Even after getting used to the screen switching, I still ended up making stupid mistakes due to how challenging some of the levels layouts are, which is a good sign.

The stages have a bit more puzzle elements than your median shmup, with gates you have to open by hitting switches located on the other screen, and the pace is a bit more methodical due to this. There is also a button to fire backwards that slows down both your ship and the scrolling which feels a bit too good at times but is very helpful in the trickiest sections.

There are four weapons available, starting with a standard forward shot and then moving on to more gimmicky weapon types. The last two in particular seemed difficult to use but at the same time didn't feel like they had more potential than the first two that were boring in comparison but did the job much better and without putting you in danger all the time.

One thing that struck me as odd is the game's length. It sits in a awkward middle ground where it is neither short enough to be played as an arcade game nor long enough to feel like a full-fledged adventure. When I beat the last boss, I thought it would be some sort of prelude battle and that there would be a few other levels before we fight him again and defeat him for good, but it turned out it really was the end. The boss itself was challenging but didn't feel like a final boss in its in-game presentation somehow. It wasn't...grandiose enough or something like that.

Anyway, for a shmup focused on an experimental mechanic, I would say it suceeded in its purpose, but I haven't played the higher difficulties yet so maybe there's some even more interesting things to be seen there.

---

Played a bit of Stardust Vanguards' solo mode as well. I don't have other players for multi sessions right now and the game is really centered on that, but there still is a solo survival mode so I wanted to try it out.

You clear waves of space pirate ships with your mech's gun and sword. The gun's ammo is pretty limited but it recharges after each wave so even if you use it all you'll get some back pretty soon. In the end, you'll still have to get close to the enemies to kill them. The actual number of enemy types is not that high and it is not too tricky to learn their behaviours, so the main difficulty comes from the sheer amount of bad guys in each wave.

There is a dash, a temporary shield and the ability to summon a few helpers. The dash doesn't grant you invincibility so running into a bullet with this move is not unheard of.

It shows that the game was really made with multiplayer in mind given how limited this survival mode seems in comparison but what's there isn't bad either. Slashing enemies is rather fun, and the music is fantastic. Presentation is pretty good and the visual identity in the player select screen and the GUI is pretty stylish. It's just a shame the mech sprites in the game are so...weird? They don't really look like mechas. The "Hollywood American action blockbuster tough guy" narrator voice is a bit unsettling at first but you get used to it.

As Team Zanrai's first completed project, it looks nice though I obviously haven't played the real meat of the game. If it helped them get funds to work on Westgunne (which is kind of a Heaven Variant 2D reimagining), then it's all good in my book. That's one of the games I am looking forward to and everything about it so far seems quite promising.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Stevens wrote:
Whenever I feel like this about any game some time off is always a good idea. Take a few days and come back to it wish fresh eyes.
I think I just flatout don't understand this game.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Now that I'm done with Blue Revolver Hyper Mode, I've decided to go back to Mars Matrix to try to improve my score a bit. Amazingly I've already managed to get new high scores on both my stage 4 and 5 score attack, so w00t! I'm not yet sure what my goal will be, but on the low end it will be at least over 4,000,000 experience, and on the high end maybe trying to beat SFKhoa's arcade experience count (something like 4.6 mil). It will likely depend on how much I think I can improve stage 5 and if I want to keep trying to optimize stage 4 (as right now I've basically just come up with an improved first couple seconds of the route, and then just follow my old route for the rest of it). Might also look into milking the second boss.

Also did a little refresher in Giga Wing 2 because I kind of want to get a 1cc recording of both it and Triggerheart Exelica eventually, but I can't remember most of my routes :( go figure. Going for those quick and dirty clears is like the shmup equivalent of cramming for exams. lol.
1) Create Scoring System
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

XoPachi wrote:
Stevens wrote:
I think I just flatout don't understand this game.
Watch the STG Weekly video if you haven't already: https://youtu.be/KCRmMvtAH0Q

It made me understand and appreciate the game a lot more.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

ReSe2k wrote: Watch the STG Weekly video if you haven't already: https://youtu.be/KCRmMvtAH0Q

It made me understand and appreciate the game a lot more.
. . .
This game is DUMM!
All this underlying cryptic stuff that tries to frustrate you and just make you mad. And the game doesn't say anything about 80% of it's mechanics! How do people beat this crazy game?

I love it! c:
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

took a Truxton break over the weekend and came back to it yesterday and I'm rackin up the 2CCs. it's gonna happen this week, I feel it
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

mycophobia wrote:took a Truxton break over the weekend and came back to it yesterday and I'm rackin up the 2CCs. it's gonna happen this week, I feel it
So close! Keep at it!
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah don't give up now Myco.

Not a huge feat, but I've bettered my scoring on 1-1 and 1-2 of Under Defeat. I can finish
1-2 with over 900,000 now. Small steps in the climb to 6,000,000.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:Yeah don't give up now Myco.

Not a huge feat, but I've bettered my scoring on 1-1 and 1-2 of Under Defeat. I can finish
1-2 with over 900,000 now. Small steps in the climb to 6,000,000.
Wow, that sounds pretty good, 900k is almost half of my total 1-ALL score :lol:
1) Create Scoring System
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Summer Carnival '92 on the DUO. Damn what a fine shmup.
Alas, Ikaruga is going...

Undesired, unwanted them...
What makes them go?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Lost both lives on the first loop.

First one was at a spot I always bomb on 1-4 and I decided to try sans bomb. Poor choice.

Then I died on 1-5's opening. Also a spot I usually bomb, but since I died on 1-4 I was trying to conserve and I died again.

Then I made it all the way to 2-4 on my remaining life. Made it to the trains with a score of 4.5 million which is a better pace than my PB but not my best pace.

Feels good playing with house money.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote: First one was at a spot I always bomb on 1-4 and I decided to try sans bomb. Poor choice.
Oh man, as much as I know that it's a bad idea to try something different in a full run I still do from time to time. Always regrets >_<

Been practicing stage 5 and stage 4 of Mars Matrix. Managed to get a +1800 chain once in stage 3 and a whopping 1.3 million experience O_O I think my slight route changes have been working. Also, I think I'm mostly getting over 1 mill now when I don't break the chain. Unfortunately the consistency still isn't there. Lots of chain breaks in several locations. mostly though not always from deaths. It's amazing how just getting the basic chain in stage 5 is the easiest of all of the stages pretty much (except 1), but once you try to get fancy the difficulty of maintaining the chain shoots up precipitously.

In stage 4 I got a few more good chains incorporating my beginning of stage chain innovation (looks like this improves the exp potential from around 500k to around 700k, which is nothing monumental, but the more potential I have the more likely I am to do well in a run). I also managed to do a little refinement on using the route sans piercing cannon autofire to the point where I managed to no auto the whole first battleship a few times. I think once I can get the second battleship no auto'd I'll be able to theoretically no auto the stage (though I'm not sure if I'd be consistent enough to do a full no auto run without a lot of grinding).

The other hard part is linking the midboss chain without auto, but I don't think I need a new route for that, just a shit ton of grinding. Also, I think if I were to try to counterstop the arcade game I wouldn't necessarily need the stage 4 chain to be perfect, so it's not incredibly important. I just basically need to be able to not die in stage 4 without using auto. That's the main thing.

AC counterstop is not the current goal though, for now it's just improve the stage 4 and 5 chaining, and get more consistent at stage 5 and especially the final form of its boss, as I don't think I've managed to not break a stage 5 chain in a full run since I improved my stage 3 route, or not die on the boss at least once, for that matter. It's actually madening too, because I typically do no miss the final form of the stage 5 boss if I haven't played for a couple of weeks. WTF!
1) Create Scoring System
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Well, we're kinda getting somewhere in Ibara. I can hit an extend in stage 1 now.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

G-Darius.

The Embryon really kick my ass so hard right now :cry:
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

DOJ WL, serious practice for the first time
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Just had a big session of Mushihimesama on Maniac mode (steam version)

Have been playing it intermittently for a while and felt like a clear was doable, but this was the first time I made a big push.

The good news is that I still feel it's within reach, despite some of the absolutely shambolic performances this morning. Just gotta keep pushing!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

The good -

Finished the first loop with almost 3.2 million and 2-3 with 4.6 million. Easily my best pace ever. I can absolutely break six million.

The bad -

Died on the 1-5 boss. Twice.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^That damn boss

Still working on stage 4 and 5 and managed to improve. Topped out at 1.44 million exp in stage 5 (I think it was +1900 some. Still can't break +2k :( ). Also stage 4 had some good performance. Managed to make it to 800k once. Hell Yeah! I think my top chain in the first part of the stage was around +1500, and then my top chain on the fountain is still around +800 (No improvements there, although I did improve that chain a few weeks ago with a very minor shift. Getting more consistent on these routes, too, and maybe even more consistent on the stage 5 boss (which would be really great), though I'm not actually sure. Still not full run ready, though.

Also tried to learn how to milk the stage 2 boss using the route that ACR uses in this superplay from ages ago. Can not seem to pull it off. Was able to get +400 some on the first big shield, which is admittedly better than I get on the only big shield when quick killing, but I had a death right before it, and I only managed to get +150 or so on the kill shield. Also I only managed to do that once. The rest of the time I got +150 some on both shields. Also only managed to not die once, and I'm not sure how I did it. Doubtful, but has anyone reading this tried doing this?
1) Create Scoring System
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

You grab more XP on a stage than I can in the entire game.

The funniest thing is how I feel when playing now - there is no pressure anymore, even if that pressure was self induced. I mean at the end of the day it is only a game..

My scoring routes came back to me pretty fast after I got the clear, if my maths are correct I should be able to start 2-5 with 5.1/5.2 million.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Stevens wrote:You grab more XP on a stage than I can in the entire game.

The funniest thing is how I feel when playing now - there is no pressure anymore, even if that pressure was self induced. I mean at the end of the day it is only a game..

My scoring routes came back to me pretty fast after I got the clear, if my maths are correct I should be able to start 2-5 with 5.1/5.2 million.
Hahaha, that's only stages 4 and 5, too. stage 3 is much more lucrative. I sometimes get 2 million on it alone (actually, I haven't been practicing it, so I can't think of what I normally get there).
No pressure is good. Also, keep up the good work, sounds like you're almost there. Just a matter of time :)
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

So, I did finally manage to get the ACR stage 2 boss milk right (hooray!) I think there's still some timings to figure out, but I got it to work almost exactly as it appears in the ACR video.

Notably, this is not the only possible stage 2 boss milk. There's one in Randorama's strategy guide that involves a suicide (which is why I am eschewing it). I think it's basically ACR's, but a little different to get closer to +500 chain instead of just +400. You probably have to do a backlash instead of just staying over the boss when releasing the first shield, then suicide, then another full shield therefore combining the gold from both full shields. Also Rob has a stage 2 boss milk which you can see in the Mars Matrix STGWeekly video that's far more graceful looking than almost anything in any shmup ever, but also looks really hard, so maybe I'll learn it at a later date. It's notable because you can theoretically chain the stage 2 end chain into it, so yeah, pretty sick.

Also, I added up my score attack high score experience counts and ended up breaking 5 mill, which is cool.
Spoiler
Stage1 431,308
Stage2 346,888
Stage3 2,154,081
Stage4 701,283
Stage5 1,341,355
Stage6 81,400
Total 5,056,315
Now, realistically I couldn't actually get that experience count in a full run. It was at around 4.6 mill when I first got a 3.8 mill run.
1) Create Scoring System