Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIL

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by BIL »

If it's any consolation (or any news), both games are a bit harder than the arcade versions, due to R-Types running at the PS1's 60hz (vs the M72 board's 55hz). Other than the resolution compromise with the stat bar, that's probably the only thing off about 'em.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I actually started learning it via Dimensions on 360, but absolutely hated the port and transitioned over to PS1. I noticed the speed difference right away but I feel like it doesn't make much difference in a slow paced strictly routed game like R-Type. Really love the PS1 port I gotta say, that opening cutscene is awesome.

My issue with boss 5 is that random fast pattern of his where he just bum rushes you and there's basically nothing you can do. I can actually recover pretty easily all the way to the final boss, but the end is just shy of being impossible without 2 bits, and if boss 5 kills you then you can't possibly get the powerups needed to 1cc. It ends your run long before you would even know. I've really grown to love the game, but I wish they had tossed maybe a single bit into stage 8. Would have made all the difference in the world.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Creamy Goodness wrote:Batsugun Special. I know it's supposed to be "easy," but man that 4th level boss is a slog and hands me my ass. Difficulty in that game feels a bit weird in general. Like later stages and bosses feel easier than earlier levels.
FWIW, I found the S4 Boss to be the hardest part of Batsugun Special and once I overcame that it didn't take long before I looped it. Keep it up! :)
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Tachikomatic

Post by Tachikomatic »

Playing Razion EX on the NSW, love it :)
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

LordHypnos wrote:
Creamy Goodness wrote:Batsugun Special. I know it's supposed to be "easy," but man that 4th level boss is a slog and hands me my ass. Difficulty in that game feels a bit weird in general. Like later stages and bosses feel easier than earlier levels.
FWIW, I found the S4 Boss to be the hardest part of Batsugun Special and once I overcame that it didn't take long before I looped it. Keep it up! :)
Thanks! Got a few easier 1cc's under my belt, but I feel like this one will be my transition to more intermediate games. It may be easier than other arcade games, but from what I have played not sure if I can call it easy in general.
blazinglazers69

Post by blazinglazers69 »

Currently enjoying Gleylancer on Genesis. I've mostly been using the options in Search mode which is reliable maybe 80 percent of the time. Love the chip-sounding tunes and voice: STICK TO IT AND BELIEVE IN YOUR POWER.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Had the disgrace to play Breakthrough Gaming's Space 2. The "Anti-matter" of shmups.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

https://www.facebook.com/torm223300/pos ... 6069238474

It has been a long while but I did play Gradius Famicom and Verytex from my recent stream on Facebook.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Probably have spent most of my shmup time on Giga Wing and trying to derust Mars Matrix. Part of the Mars Matrix deal is that I decided to relearn it without using any piercing cannon auto-fire to make it easier to transition to the CPS2 version.

This part, at least, has been a success. I've even managed to get +830 chains in S1 a few times, which is probably not far from my best chains using auto-fire. It helps that there were basically only two areas where I needed to use auto-fire at all.

This also lead me to discover that (AFAICT) the only enemies that matter for getting bonus enemies in the first wave in S1 are the ones at the top right of the cluster.

Neither the absence of autofire, nor the pattern difference with the central turret in the 3rd S4 battleship have really generally been a problem with playing the AC version at this point. Unfortunately my consistency across both versions of the game is stupidly bad, and that's in spite of figuring out a few ways to improve the consistency of my routes over my 2.3 trillion point (Dreamcast) run. Mars Matrix is too hard :x

So far I have managed to pull together a 515 million run in the CPS2 game, which is, in absolute terms, pretty good. This was largely on the back of a strong S3 and S4 (I think 1 and 2 were also decent). It all fell apart in S5 however and I ended up with 2 chain breaks and dying on the boss (not even on the final car :oops: ) Had I even made it half way through S6 the score would have been quite a bit higher.

Anyway, whinging about rustiness aside, I am making some improvements in Giga Wing Stage 5, but I'm still way off of actually 1ccing.

The other notable thing is that I briefly rediscovered why Psikyo games are some of the best ever playing the Gunbirds and Dragon Blaze. Damn those games are great! I should really give these some time if I can ever finish the stuff I'm working on now.
1) Create Scoring System
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I think my love for Soukyugurentai might be fading a bit.

The entire style and presentation with the 96-point Mincho font all over everything is amazing. Like with Blazing Star, the pre-rendered graphics totally work. The soundtrack is epic and stylish and really drives the action. It's a good, stiff challenge with some creative situations. It nails the whole feel of grand military campaign progress, perhaps even better than Layer Section does; the way it uses the Saturn's internal clock to derive the dates & times for each of the missions is a cool trick. The bosses are great. The fantastic sound design really adds a feeling of impact and immersion to the goings on, love the crunchy explosions.

But managing the rank system encourages you not to collect powerups, or even shoot your main weapon. Which kinda sucks some of the fun out of the proceedings. That's not that uncommon, except the scoring system doubles down on that by being based entirely around the lock-on weapon. On top of that, the game is vert but in yoko only, which would be manageable except your hit box is pretty large. So if you let the rank get out of hand you'll have to be threading needles without much vertical space to give warning to react accordingly to bullet trajectories.

So yeah, it's a really cool game that I want to love unconditionally, but it seems to sabotage itself in weird ways.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Have you tried Kamui? (Windows/Steam) Siter Skain's pro-standard love letter to Taito and Raizing. Soukyugurentai's scorching death from above, with Rayforce's fully-integrated shooting, plus a monstrous screen-shearing GodLazor. Incredible sense of destructive power, in a uniquely techno-funereal air. Where Rayforce is a harrowing existential longshot, and Souky a balls/wall mercenary raid, Kamui's about a karmic godhammer falling at terminal velocity. Not arcade-tough in survival terms, but it's no pushover either - quoth Metal Black, your beam needs to make good use of energy! - and it's a notably excellent scoring game.
Sengoku Strider

BIL wrote:Have you tried Kamui? (Windows/Steam) Siter Skain's pro-standard love letter to Taito and Raizing. Soukyugurentai's scorching death from above, with Rayforce's fully-integrated shooting, plus a monstrous screen-shearing GodLazor. Incredible sense of destructive power, in a uniquely techno-funereal air. Where Rayforce is a harrowing existential longshot, and Souky a balls/wall mercenary raid, Kamui's about a karmic godhammer falling at terminal velocity. Not arcade-tough in survival terms, but it's no pushover either - quoth Metal Black, your beam needs to make good use of energy! - and it's a notably excellent scoring game.
I've heard of it for years, but being a Mac user the golden realm of good Steam games is forever blocked to me.
DMC

Post by DMC »

I see your point on Souky not using the main weapon much. Maybe a compromise would be having a few more sections where the lock-on weapon is ineffective (e.g., having to use the main weapon to destroy homing missiles). Another compromise could have been to let you power up to level 2 weapon without a significant rank increase or making it easier to reduce rank.

But I see it as the main weapon of this game really being the lock-on. The game is designed for using it (just consider all the enemies that move in a lower or higher plane or outside of the screen that you can only destroy with the lock-on weapon). They even gave it a cool name, the Non-blind spot All-range Laser System (N.A.L.S). And it is really fun to use: Excellent sound effects as you lock on to each enemy and relese the shot. Nice sense of depth and player advantage in that you can target enemies before they appear on screen or fly at the same level as you. A sense of reward as you get a nice multiplier bonus as you destroy big tanks and ships with a flashing 4x multiplier.

I would go so far as saying that the Pinpoint lock-on weapon of Swordfish is probably my favorite shmup weapon all things considered. My question is then, why do you want to use the "main weapon" so strongly?
Haddock

Post by Haddock »

Playing Radiant Silvergun right now and I must say I am still blown away by this title. I know it isn't too popular amongst the hardcore crowd but for me nothing has ever topped this game in the genre. But I'm weird like that.

Only problem is that I don't quite grasp the nuance of the changing fully yet. A secret chain seems to be worth less than a regular chain in most cases which is very odd to me (why make them secret then lol). Normal chains seem to cap out at 100,000 points but I'm not sure if every consecutive chain after that also nets me 100,000 points. Secret chains max out at 10,000 points, wtf?

Anyway I will 1cc it quite soon me thinks.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

In much of the game, it's important to maintain red chains as they are far more lucrative (as you note). Secret chains are more there for you to 'cash out' at specific times because there aren't any more chains during a stage anyhow.

e.g. it's better to secret chain the very beginning of the game, and the section right before the first midboss.

-right before the second midboss Mika (the floating polygon laser cannons
-right after the Gallop fight and before the spinning pillar boss
-before and during the Golets fight in stage 2
-right before the elevator fight

There are other spots but you get the idea. Generally while they are worth less the times to do them properly can net you easy EXP - especially the section right after the Gallop fight which has a lot of Yellow enemies.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Haddock wrote:Playing Radiant Silvergun right now and I must say I am still blown away by this title. I know it isn't too popular amongst the hardcore crowd but for me nothing has ever topped this game in the genre.
It definitely has its critics, but it typically gets something like a 10th to 15th place in the annual voting here, so it is quite popular. I think the peak was around 2005 when it got voted the 4th best shmup. In 2010 it did not make into the top 25 list, but that's an exception.
Welcome, by the way! RSG is absolutely awesome, so I hope you have a good time chasing that 1CC. :)
Last edited by DMC on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Bio-ship Paladin

aka 宇宙戦艦ゴモラ
aka Space Battleship Gomora
aka Space Battleship Paladin
aka Uchuu Senkan Gomora

I'm playing it in MAME.

Next up will be the Sega Mega Drive port of this wonderfully unique side scrolling shmup, that features more parallax than the arcade version.

EGM praised the MD version in a 1991 International Outlook preview.

I really like both the game mechanics/gameplay and the artstyle/visuals.

Edit: The sprite and enemy designs remind me of some of Irem's best work, and I hold the gameplay above the gameplay of Last Resort on Neo Geo. Paladin's gameplay is more addictive and fun because of it's mechanics which go beyond Last Resort Pulstar and even some of the R-Type games. Less brutal in difficulty as well. Bio-ship Paladin / Space Battleship Gomorah is a hidden GEM imho, be it the arcade or MD versions.
Haddock

Post by Haddock »

DMC wrote:It definitely has its critics, but it typically gets something like a 10th to 15th place in the annual voting here, so it is quite popular. I think the peak was around 2005 when it got voted the 4th best shmup. In 2010 it did not make into the top 25 list, but that's an exception.
Welcome, by the way! RSG is absolutely awesome, so I hope you have a good time chasing that 1CC. :)
Thank you! Happy to be here after very recently discovering shmups (properly).

Oh that's a lot higher then I expected! It's funny because what critics cite as flaws I find strengths :) Like the pacing of the game, and the chaining system. I tried getting into Cave shmups but I just can't, they're way too frantic and fast paced for me and to be honest I find most of the scoring systems boring. People say games like RS and Ikaruga are rigid, but I find Dodonpachi just as rigid from what I've played so far (I'm new to shmups). It's just that the Treasure games make it quite explicit that there is an optimal route and it becomes a game of execution (once you know what to do), and cave games lt you figure that optimal route out in a more vague way. I'm not sure if I'm describing it nicely since English isn't my first language lol

Then again, I haven't played Ketsui which is supposedly less rigid and from what I've seen the scoring system is quite engaging (but no less frantic, my god those patterns :lol: ). Speaking of which, does anyone know (besides the extra modes and M2 gadgets) if the PS4 version is superior to the 360 version? I might grab the 360 version since I was planning on getting some shmups for it anyhow (Mushihimesama's and espgaluda 2). I'd like to have 'em on the same system if I can..
EmperorIng wrote:In much of the game, it's important to maintain red chains as they are far more lucrative (as you note). Secret chains are more there for you to 'cash out' at specific times because there aren't any more chains during a stage anyhow.

e.g. it's better to secret chain the very beginning of the game, and the section right before the first midboss.

-right before the second midboss Mika (the floating polygon laser cannons
-right after the Gallop fight and before the spinning pillar boss
-before and during the Golets fight in stage 2
-right before the elevator fight

There are other spots but you get the idea. Generally while they are worth less the times to do them properly can net you easy EXP - especially the section right after the Gallop fight which has a lot of Yellow enemies.
Ah that makes sense. So basically it's a bonus for those sections "in between" the action that allows you to rack up some extra points whenever there aren't any actual red enemies (or blue if you will) in a sequence that allows to continue the normal chain. RS gives you a lot of those sections with its leisurely pacing hehe. Thanks for the run down!
Sengoku Strider

DMC wrote:I would go so far as saying that the Pinpoint lock-on weapon of Swordfish is probably my favorite shmup weapon all things considered. My question is then, why do you want to use the "main weapon" so strongly?
Several reasons, really. The lock-on radar web is slow to activate, leaves you defenceless, and is kind of "hands off," so it looses a lot of the immediacy that makes shooters so great.

It is good in that you need to be very deliberate with it, particularly the more powerful variations with narrower webs. As opposed to many games which trivialize the shooting somewhat; a lot of games from the mid-90s onward let you just hold down the fire button & focus on dodging. So do I think the mechanic is great as a secondary weapon, and more mechanically interesting than what something like Xevious or Layer Section does in handling multi-planar offence.

But I mentioned the great crunchy explosions in this game, blasting away at everything that comes on screen is a lot of fun. Whereas doing the thing where you hold the button for 2 seconds, wait for the radar to come up, sweep the screen a bit and then wait for the shots to reach the enemies...it ends up feeling less action packed and more like a weird slow rhythm game or something.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

So, I finally picked up Raiden Fighters Aces, and I'm kind of upset that I waited until now. lol. Pretty sure it would have been much cheaper had I gotten it a few years ago :x

Really addictive game. I was a little shocked by the low difficulty at first, but then I realized that it doesn't default to arcade difficulty :oops: I guess it's probably good for getting a handle on the controls and whatnot. On the plus side, I can add a L35 Normal difficulty ALL to my 1cc list, lol. Trying to get the gold medals is difficult unless you get the forward formation. It's nearly impossible when you have the back-and-forth formation. I really like the way that you get different stages depending on how well you're doing.
1) Create Scoring System
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

One of these days I'll get a clear of Blue Revolver. I inch closer and closer and I can get to the last level with A life remaining.
Just dumb shit happens along the way. I can never stay above 3 lives even though I start get my extends as early as the first boss.
ravenclaws76

Post by ravenclaws76 »

Ginga Force PS4 and I'm loving it! I've had it over a year, but finally start to actually play it. Addictive game. I played story mode easy, then score attack easy, then story & score normal etc etc. I really enjoy trying to get better rank and score. Only real negative thing is that there ain't arcade mode where you can try 1cc.
Starfighter

Post by Starfighter »

I'm playing one of my all time favorites - Espgaluda! I never 1CC'd it so that would be fun to do! I can make it up to the last boss and it's final pattern, but that's where my run ends everytime. I'm having such a hard time surviving that last pattern (where bombs give the boss health and bullets are everywhere). There's a great practice mode (I'm playing the PS2 port) so I'm currently focusing on "5-2 Boss" every session and even though I've tried it probably a hundred times now I still lose like 10 lives at the last pattern... and I usually arrive at the boss with one or at the most two spare lives in a real run, so a 1CC is pretty far away at this point! :D
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Recently been playing a combination of Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, Raiden Fighters Jet, and Guwange (mostly the Blue arrange). I did end up getting distracted by Nights Into Dreams (XBLA version), though. Probably not going to help me get the Giga ALL :P

Right now I'm mostly working on S6 in Giga Wing. I really like this boss. TBH, I'm probably not nearly as consistent as I need to be in S5. S5 is very hard. I do think I have a handle on the boss. S5 boss is interesting in that it feels really random at first, but I think it's actually not random. As I've gotten more consistent in what I'm actually doing it's seemed to get more deterministic. For example, the first couple of patterns are pretty much always the same now. While the bosses have been getting better, it almost feels like I'm getting worse at S4 and S5 the more that I practice them :x
1) Create Scoring System
Marc

Post by Marc »

Picked up Crimson Clover World EXplosion. Holy shitballs this game is hard. Hard, and quite often an absolute visual overload.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sengoku Strider

Marc wrote:Picked up Crimson Clover World EXplosion. Holy shitballs this game is hard. Hard, and quite often an absolute visual overload.
My analogy is that it's like being punched in the eyes repeatedly by a slot machine jackpot.

The arrange mode is easier than the arcade, and frankly better imo.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Playing Mushi on the Switch now. Original arcade is said to be one of the easier Cave games, but I'm getting my ass handed to me on the first stage. It definitely has a different feel than other Cave games so I'm thinking it is a matter of just getting used to the game.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Marc wrote:Picked up Crimson Clover World EXplosion. Holy shitballs this game is hard. Hard, and quite often an absolute visual overload.
My analogy is that it's like being punched in the eyes repeatedly by a slot machine jackpot.

The arrange mode is easier than the arcade, and frankly better imo.
Ha, that's exactly what I was thinking when I tried again last night. I'll give arrange a spin, because I can make NO sense of arcade whatsoever. Well, I can, but the screen is almost unreadable to me at times.

Playing more Mushi. Third stage might just be the most amazing stage in any shooter I've played, ever. Incredible stuff.
Last edited by Marc on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Raiden Fighters Jet: This game gets 1000x times more difficult even on the first stage when you're trying to score. Who knew that it would be challenging to try to avoid killing fairies, avoid grabbing a medal that's following you around, partially destroy tanks (for additional fairies) and try to get that medal to pick up other medals, all while the screen is completely full of bullets and there are enemies everywhere X_x. I think I might just skip the fairies for now. On top of that, if you're very careful to not die, you can fully advance your medals to 100k on the back of the first two micli in stage 2 and now that I know that I feel like I have to :lol: Going to have to grind S2 a lot, I think.

I have to give Seibu some props for creating a game that has such a wide range of difficulty depending on how you tackle it. There's a massive gap between getting a Fairy ALL3 and getting the TFB ALL1 with 100 million+ score (not that I've personally accomplished the latter, mind you).

Fantasy Zone II 3D: I was away from home this weekend and just brought my 3DS with me on a whim. This game is really pretty great! Managed to get all the way into the boss rush for the first time, and figured out how to get the Fire Bomb in S1 again. This definitely scratches the same itch that Bosconian does, but with boss fights!

ESPgaluda: Was playing this one a bit earlier this year as well. I think this is probably my favorite CAVE scoring system. The Kakusei is a very elegant design. This time I made it to S5 for the first time, and managed to break 10m. Not a good score by any means, but not bad considering that I haven't really memorized anything yet.

Also love the OST. Did you know that the MOD files from this game got extracted at some point? Also ones from DOJ and Ketsui. Open that up in a tracker and you can see everything. I really wish I could study the sources of more video game music this way.
1) Create Scoring System