Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Steven »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:The board is gigantic
Need pictures!

The biggest ones I have seen in person are Dragon Spirit and Hishouzame. Slap Fight is also pretty big and might be about the same size as Dragon Spirit, but I'd have to put them next to each other to check. Both are 2 separate PCBs, which adds to their hugeness. Hishouzame is just the single PCB and it's like the size of a PS5, or maybe slightly bigger.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I know! I have a couple recent PCB purchases I need to take pics of and put in the thread. ;)

I've gotten a 1UP from maxing out the bar for the first time ever, 1cc'd into Stage 8 (geez it's tough), and discovered that x10 multipliers come from how far you are from the enemy ON THE Y AXIS ONLY. Being on the same line or being above an enemy in terms of Y axis position means you get a 10x multiplier for kills. What this means is when you have a gold cube (the bomb) powerup, you can instantly get x10 value kills by simply being high up on the screen when you launch it. Anything below you is worth x10. I've done this to the first stage bosses a few times now!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Oh yeah, there is a thread for that. I haven't put any of mine in there. Maybe I will, but most of them are signed, so it's kind of like... yeah.

I really want to know if Omega Fighter is bigger than Hishouzame! I looked at pictures of it online and they look to be about the same size. I've seen some really small stuff, like Snow Bros, Ibara, and Deathsmiles, but the biggest single board I have seen so far is Hishouzame.
cfx

Post by cfx »

There are some Omega Fighter PCB pictures on this page:
http://www.ym2149.com/arcadepcb/pcb/upl.html

From pictures, the Darius PCB always looked huge to me, plus it's a stack of two large and one smaller board. Random blog I found with images:
http://planetharriers.blogspot.com/2018 ... -raid.html
Steven

Post by Steven »

Using the ultra-perfect scientific method of resizing the image until the chips on the image that it shares with Hishouzame are more or less the same size when I hold Hishouzame near my monitor, it looks like Hishouzame might actually be larger by a very small amount. Hard to tell, though. It is absolutely bigger than the PS5 in every dimension aside from being much thinner.

That Darius PCB is insane, though. I have never seen a triple stack like that. It probably needs a lot of Blast Processing™ to fill 3 separate displays simultaneously.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I gave Omega Fighter a look and man, it really does feel like a game from years in the future after it was released. Pretty cool.
Not entirely sure how long/much I'll play, but it is very cool.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Shmupking22

Post by Shmupking22 »

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Game is so good on PC engine. Not the cheapest.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

SUMMER ARCADE SESSION BEGINS!

Vertical:
194X Series by Capcom (no 1942)

Horizontal:
DariusBurst Chronicle CS
Lander

The Missing Link

Post by Lander »

I fired up Omega Fighter for some retroarch rounds after seeing Roo and BIL mention it, and wowee - game from the future is right!

It seemed surprisingly easy until I twigged that I was both playing the Special version, and had inadvertently activated the Special mode on top of that during configuration. 1UPs and powerups raining from the sky like manna from heaven - fun chaos, and I can definitely see the party angle since I was able to brute force my way up through stage 3 sight unseen.

Stepping back down to regular mode on the original release revealed a great big pile of brain candy - there's so much DNA in here that traces forward to future work of Cave, Taito, and contemporaries; that satisfying yet risky blip-brrr delayed autofire cadence, a deceptively large beam hitbox that sits somewhere between Black Fly and a Donpachi aura, and score-diving that resembles a first-order version of the Ketsui chip system. Except Grandpa O got paid in powerups for flying like a madman, and didn't need no fancy lock-on pods to bail his ass out of the fire Image

All in all an excellent discovery. Surprisingly intense from the offing, but flows really nicely once you get into the rhythm of parking yourself at optimal ram angles for those precious x10 pips. Great presentation too - the beam graphics look gorgous rendered in phosphor sweep. Shame it didn't get an MD release; a sufficiently motivated programmer could have kitbashed a cracking score caravan from its component parts for that extra bit of home-play value.

Also notable is that it appears to have zero frames of built-in lag, which is downright shocking for a 16-bit title. Must be down to that absolute beast of a PCB - who needs connective wafer when you can just add more microcontrollers? :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always great to see more people trying out this veritable STG DeLorean! Was reminded while playing a few reacquainting credits, Icarus has some badass Omega Fighter Special scores.

RE timewarp shenanigans... I became aware of it when d0s posted about MAME being way easier than his PCB, circa 2018, due to zako not firing aggressively enough. That was right around the ACA version's release, which is board-accurate (as is MAME, after being subsequently updated).

Incidentally, another UPL-produced (though NMK-developed) late 80s STG remains inaccurate in MAME right now; Task Force Harrier, which features a charmingly involved slowdown routine. Basically, your ship speed is constant even under heavy slowdown, with the code cranking up your horsepower to compensate, even as the world around you grinds. MAME lacks this feature, leaving the ship in perpetual overdrive. Actually kinda refreshing, zipping from end to end in a ruggedly Toaplanesque Fast Aimed Shotter context, but undeniably over-easy.

I wonder if there was some crossover/comms between the two companies' personnel? Seems conspicuous, with Omega Fighter basically letting you do the same thing to enemies via its bomb. Might just be an odd coincidence, ofc. Harrier is also one of the precious few army STGs to dodge the dreaded Invisible Desert Stage Bullets, by palette-swapping them from yellow to purple as needed. Image
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Shmupking22 wrote:Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Game is so good on PC engine. Not the cheapest.
One day when I have $1000 I don't need, a copy will be mine.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I am not really playing Metal Hawk, but I just got back from Mikado and I played it for the first time while I was there. Yes, they have the moving cabinet and stuff. Cool game, but I don't think I'd want to play it without the cabinet because it's a lot of fun to jump in that thing and get all shaken up. It had the unfortunate side effect of making me REALLY wish I could find a deluxe After Burner II cabinet, however, and because they are super rare and I haven't seen one in over 20 years, it makes me incredibly sad.
repoman

Post by repoman »

Raiden 3 x MIKADO MANIAX and Danmaku Unlimited 3, both on PS5.

Raiden 3 is definitely great but I'm preferring Danmaku as it just seems a bit friendlier to the player. You're not punished for dying by having weapon power taken away (it doesn't have weapon power-ups, everything is set to one powerful setting), the visuals are mad but somehow a bit clearer and I prefer the music (although the music is really good on R3).

It's probably because I'm a filthy casual though.
Knohbahdi

Post by Knohbahdi »

Currently playing Blazing Lazers on the PC Engine Mini and I have to say it holds up quite well for being over 30 years old. Also, since I saw it in the thread, Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire is on the PC Engine Mini and that thing is way cheaper than $1000.
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

The past couple weeks I started working through Dodonpachi again. I managed to hit a couple milestones; managed to get to Stage 5 on one credit, and also managed to get through the entire game within 4 credits, but I feel like I hit a plateau there, and my playing has gotten remarkably worse this week. I've ended up shifting away and revisiting G-Darius the past couple of days as a result; I noticed I'm actually pretty close to getting all the achievements on Steam, so I'm derusting and working towards that. Most of them are just a matter of filling out the capture gallery; only one I feel like will require the derust is the 20 mil achievement (I could cheese it eventually with quick loads lol, but I want to put up an actual PB, so I'm gonna put the work in).
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I'm playing Sapphire and this game is JUKING me bro. I am falling for literally every trick they're throwing at my ass. lmao
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Went on a bit of shmup spree last night. all on Steam. Played relatively well too and when that happens, I absolutely fall in love with the genre.

Batsugun Special S-Tribute last night and it felt fine. I had forgotten how good the music was! It's been in my head all morning.

No missed A-D-H on Dariusburst again with Gaiden - the first in a while. Such a great game. Black Hole bomb is one of the best effects in video games.

Z-Warp - not bad. Wish I could rebind controls. Only played the first level which was nice and short. Will spend more time with this.

Kamui took a bit of fiddling on the display option to get going, but I can see why it is held in such high regard. Got my ass handed to me but it was great fun, and to me that's often the sign of a excellent shmup.)

Can no-miss the first two Gradius stages now, which might not seem like much, but it's a start. Spent a bit of time with Nemesis too, and it was interesting to see of the differences (faster bullets I think and power up opportunities on death.)

Couldn't get Sister's Royale to work with Qanba Obsidian (for PS4/PC) which seems very odd. I'll try it out again tonight, but I'm not gonna spend an age doing it. Will apply for a refund and see if I can pick it up on PS4 cheaply.

EDIT: Forgot to add Bitwave's port of Tiger Heli and Outzone (GOG). Enjoyed both game immensely. I have no idea how accurate they are to the originals though. The Rewind feature is amazing.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat of reinvigorating myself on the genre. Not that the love for it faded, but I haven't been playing as many the past year. But watching Shmup Junkie lately made me really want to prioritize these games like I used to as a teen.

I started playing some stuff I own but never put much time into relative to my favorites. I'm playing Strania, Sapphire, RefleX, and Infinos Gaiden.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

XoPachi wrote:I'm playing Sapphire and this game is JUKING me bro. I am falling for literally every trick they're throwing at my ass. lmao
This is my experience with Sapphire in a nutshell. I get hit by more dumb shit in that game than any other. Great game, but it's deceptively difficult.
XoPachi wrote:Yeah, I'm in the same boat of reinvigorating myself on the genre. Not that the love for it faded, but I haven't been playing as many the past year. But watching Shmup Junkie lately made me really want to prioritize these games like I used to as a teen.
My interest in shmups has really taken a dive, unfortunately. I've only cleared one game this year. I still love the community, watching vids and cheering people on but I hardly play these days.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

To Far Away Times wrote:
My interest in shmups has really taken a dive, unfortunately. I've only cleared one game this year. I still love the community, watching vids and cheering people on but I hardly play these days.
I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'm not built to clear most of these games so thats slashed much of my enthusiasm to play them as hard.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

XoPachi wrote:I started playing some stuff I own but never put much time into relative to my favorites. I'm playing Strania, Sapphire, RefleX, and Infinos Gaiden.
XoPachi wrote:I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'm not built to clear most of these games so thats slashed much of my enthusiasm to play them as hard.
Bouncing from game to game can make things really tough. I bet if you pick one of those to really commit to and come back to it over a long period of time you'll get results. Don't rush it. The games aren't going anywhere. So just set very small, specific goals for each session and go at your own pace.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ended up playing Imperishable Night for the first time in ages, spent like an hour on it today.
Decided to play a team I haven't picked before, Sakuya/Remilia. I like their shot type a lot [namely, Remi's shots staying where you began focus is amazing and I love it, but also Remi's absolute straight-line tight shot feels great too]. I'm usually boring as hell and play as Reimu/Yukari.
Definitely super rusty though, I'm dying to stuff I absolutely know I should be able to dodge, very early on. Guess it's just a matter of practice, I guess.

I also popped in G-Darius for a bit earlier... the PS1 version. I absolutely forgot how much slowdown this port has, the game runs at like 40fps most of the time. Wow.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I have the problem that I might be playing too much shmups, even without obvious progress. I keep on trying to push my scores a little bit further in Giga Wing 2 (easily up there with Shikigami 1 as one of my all time favorites, hundreds of hours now in both of them), and keep on trying to explore and master other games - notably Takumi games.

I did a brief dalliance with Night Raid, on MAME - and on v216 at least, Night Raid worked remarkably well, save-states included. I hope that current emulation, making GNET games available, can make more people try out some lesser-known titles. Night Raid had a pretty horrendous ps1 port, so playing in mame, with far less input lag, usable save-states, autofire (actually a must for your Hug Launcher, which increases the targets hit) and other amenities allows one to appreciate the weird experiment going on there. I don't know if I have enough expertise to call it a good game yet (ever?), but it's not terrible. Just very odd and shows more than a few signs of being unfinished.

Other than Giga Wing 2 (current obsession: trying to get 70 quadrillion points, the first person outside of asia to do so. I'm about 1% there), I've also been messing around with Giga Wing Generations via the standalone exe that's floating out there. If you see the score forum, you can see third_strike also practicing and working on the game.

Gotta say, despite being a bit cold and dismissive towards the game for a good long while, there's a few things I am beginning to like more about Giga Wank Generations.

While it undeniably feels a little soulless compared to 1 and 2 (it's amazing what cutting out the plot does to a game's overall feel), the couple of refinements made to the reflect-based scoring system when mixed with some pretty good stages can make up for it, a little bit.

I like that the game forces you to play more aggressively, rewarding quick-killing -certain- enemies with bonus waves or enemies. Giga Wing 2 is mostly about waiting for the right moment to reflect, which Generations is about reflecting at the right moment, for sure, *and* point-blanking as many enemies as you possibly can in-between. Stage 4 and 5 are about as good as anything in the series, stage 4 (airship stage) in particular might be one of the best stages in the series.

Taking the scoring idea from the Mars Matrix arrange mode (where every shot produces medals from enemies) is a nice way to keep yourself engaged and picking up scoring items throughout the stages.

The removal of the game's essential counterstop from 1 and 2 also means no more x-treem autism in getting just the right reflects.

Boss fights might be a little too short imo but they get better as they go and it still has the time-tested 'milk them till they die' dynamic that I like so much.

The game is pretty easy so 1cc's aren't too much of an issue after some practice, as long as you're not me and trying to 1cc with a huge score as your first, ha.

Overall I think 2 is still the best of the 3 games but this one is pretty good, it's neck-and-neck with the first game right now in my mind so we'll see where it ends up.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Rastan78 wrote:Bouncing from game to game can make things really tough. I bet if you pick one of those to really commit to and come back to it over a long period of time you'll get results. Don't rush it. The games aren't going anywhere. So just set very small, specific goals for each session and go at your own pace.
I agree with all this. I had to play for many years, feeling like some games I'd never make a dent in until it kind of clicked and I started seeing noticeable improvement. It takes a fair bit of patience to stick with it and develop the confidence to play well, but in time I think you'll improve!
null1024 wrote:Decided to play a team I haven't picked before, Sakuya/Remilia.
Scarlet Team's pretty good, owing mostly to Remilia being a solid character. They're a bit unusual in that both of them have a solid bomb for damage so you don't have to worry about bombing as one character vs the other like Reimu or Marisa have to. Unfortunately Sakuya's actually fairly weak, but this mostly shows as a solo character where she's by far the worst in the game for bosses due to damage output. As far as a spreadshot for small enemies goes, she's decent enough, and Remilia tears up bosses fiercely, acting like a trickier to use but noticeably stronger Yukari.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Good luck with GW2, EmperorIng!
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

EmperorIng wrote:Overall I think 2 is still the best of the 3 games but this one is pretty good, it's neck-and-neck with the first game right now in my mind so we'll see where it ends up.
I too consider Giga Wing 2 the best of the trilogy. Generations doesn't even have a plot or characters.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I also popped in G-Darius for a bit earlier... the PS1 version. I absolutely forgot how much slowdown this port has, the game runs at like 40fps most of the time. Wow.

In Cozmic Collection version of the PS1 port, they actually 'emulate' the massive amounts of extreme slowdown. Like, I never busted out a ps1 and tried them side-by-side, but muscle-memory informs me the experience is pretty authentic.

If anything can be incredibly awesome and profoundly stupid simultaneously, the above must certainly qualify...
null1024

Post by null1024 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: Scarlet Team's pretty good, owing mostly to Remilia being a solid character. They're a bit unusual in that both of them have a solid bomb for damage so you don't have to worry about bombing as one character vs the other like Reimu or Marisa have to. Unfortunately Sakuya's actually fairly weak, but this mostly shows as a solo character where she's by far the worst in the game for bosses due to damage output. As far as a spreadshot for small enemies goes, she's decent enough, and Remilia tears up bosses fiercely, acting like a trickier to use but noticeably stronger Yukari.
That definitely sounds about right. It was REALLY noticeable how much less damage Sakuya was doing on bosses vs Remilia, but her spread shot is satisfyingly general purpose otherwise, and if I need sudden damage now, I can just use Remi.
m.sniffles.esq wrote: In Cozmic Collection version of the PS1 port, they actually 'emulate' the massive amounts of extreme slowdown. Like, I never busted out a ps1 and tried them side-by-side, but muscle-memory informs me the experience is pretty authentic.

If anything can be incredibly awesome and profoundly stupid simultaneously, the above must certainly qualify...
Absolutely beautiful. :D
You're absolutely right on that last bit; dumb but awesome.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Here's a forum thread with damage analysis of shot types from the Windows era games, might interest you to read it if you haven't seen it before. Sakuya's especially weird, she has a small sweet spot where if you're positioned a certain distance she'll get a damage boost: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/inde ... 59#msg2959
Sakuya has an annoyingly inconsistent shot damage. She fires 7 streams of knives at max power. Close is with all 7 hitting, Med is with 5/7 hitting, and Far is with 3/7 hitting. Point blanking with all 7 streams of knives does the same damage as hitting with 5/7 streams farther back.

She seems to have a certain distance where her shot does 30% more damage than usual. The distance has 5/7 streams hitting, and it's a little before all 7 streams will hit. Getting this close is usually not viable on most cards, it's difficult to keep it with the boss's movement, and it's hard to tell if you're even in the sweet spot or not.
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

Practice runs on Flying Shark today got me to Stage 5 for the first time on one credit; feel like if I buckle down I can get the clear on it this week! Always feels good when a game starts to click with you.

I also decided a good use of 20 minutes of my time today should be spent playing Trevor McFur in the Crescent Galaxy…yeesh. I knew I was in for a rough one coming in, but I wasn’t ready for just how bad it really was.